Driver recommendations - Lefty slice

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would spend a few dollars on lessons.. makes the game so much more fun

If you want to correct it with equipment then either try the Callaway BB 21 or extreme help needed a driver with offset. Cobra has these. 
 IMO: Correct path with an instructor.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

On 1/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, Bigbilly said:

Hi there. I am looking for a driver recommendations for a lefty golfer with a shallow approach and generally a very high side spin rate that normally has me aiming a fairway or two to the right... Should I be considering draw dias or even offset heads ? 

i had literally the same issue. well only i fairway right(hahaha). Grip and swing path adjustments are the key. Lessons will smooth that out. 

Also recommend a lesson or two if everything is a slice, but if a slice is you bad shot, but are still hitting a decent drive 50% of the time, look at the the Ping G400 Max. It really helped me go from a slice to a push on the bad driver shots, that happens here and there (remember, even pros have bad driver shots once in a while). I also have heard the Callaway B21 and TaylorMade Sim Max help calm down the left shot. A more moderately priced driver that I have seen in videos which appears to also help straigthen shots out is the Cleveland Launcher Turbo driver. Good luck in your search for the next driver.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Alta CB R flex, std length
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB, R flex std length
Callaway 2004 Big Bertha 7W, 22°., Callaway RCH graphite, R flex std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland Smart Sole SW, 58°, Dynamic Gold wedge flex, std length

Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"

Just about every major manufacturer has a driver that has a draw bias to help with the slice miss. Ping SFT, Callaway B21, TM Sim Max-D & so on. The Ping G30 SFT was a great driver for me until I eventually started to sort out my swing a little bit. Don't get wrong I can occasionally slide back into the slice miss just not as often...A draw biased driver won't fix your swing but if you consistently slice it then they will help to a degree. Just don't expect a miracle fix.

Driver: Cobra SZ Extreme @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 17 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

6 hours ago, Bigbilly said:

Thanks all. I deff plan on getting some lessons to help with grip and swing path... Will check out some of these recommendations and as I will probably go with something cheaper and save the money for when I can aim down the correct fairway! 

I've had the same driver (Taylormade R580 XD) since 2006. Thought about getting a new one but until i continue with lessons and get the driver straightened out, for me, it makes no sense in buying the lastest and greatest. 

I feel you may be in the same boat... 

4 hours ago, JahSteve said:

Assume your asking OP but i only have issues with driver/woods... hybrids/irons/wedges all fine. Although inconsistent. 
interested to see what OP has to say.  

Same for me. Irons have been reasonably straight. Towards the end of the season I would be taking 5 iron to the tee due to lack of consistency with the 1... Nothing worse then playing with someone you don't know. Aiming the driver a hole over and then hitting a clean straight one ! 

1 hour ago, Bigbilly said:

Same for me. Irons have been reasonably straight. Towards the end of the season I would be taking 5 iron to the tee due to lack of consistency with the 1... Nothing worse then playing with someone you don't know. Aiming the driver a hole over and then hitting a clean straight one ! 

Which means you are swinging too hard, and turning your hands over too much. When you aim that far off, you're subconscious releases the club properly and you get that straight double cross. 

Rogue Draw Rogue Silver 70g
Cobra Bio Cell 3W Rogue Black 80g
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
B330

• 3 weeks later...

My slice isn't bad, but I end up in the left rough more than I would like. I can hit my 3w off the deck pretty straight, but the driver I leave open.

I set a budget of $75. I started looking at offset drivers, then draw biased, then finally just straight adjustable. I ended up with a Taylormade R1 for $50 +$16 shipping.

The R1 has an adjustable face angle so I can close it up to 4 degrees if needed (I hope not) and as I work on my swing I can move it more neutral.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

The Callaway BB21 is supposed to help a real lot for this issue.  I am also lead to believe the PING G series drivers in the SFT are also very helpful.  I would suggest having a few lessons or even watching some online you tube vidoes for help on slice fixes. Get a friend to video you hitting a few drives at the range and then watch the video and see what your club path is. It could be a basic out to in club path with a negative angle of attack.  There are a bunch of drills and tutorials from the you tube mob and how to help with these issues.   If you stock shot is a fade and you want something to help with making it a straight to draw shot then a club head with adjustable weights or draw tendencies will help. They won't fix a chronic slice. The drivers heads and moveable weight can only help a little.  Maybe try next time at the range to hit the ball high and towards to toe of the driver and see what that does for you.