2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 Callaway Apex Irons, Apex DCB Irons, Apex Pro Irons, Apex Hybrids, Apex Pro Hybrids (in-hand photos)

3 hours ago, DallasDan said:

I played a couple rounds with the DCB irons 5-AW. I traded in my Apex 19's. The feel is definitely a little clunkier. Even on solid shots it doesn't feel as good as the CF19's. The jury is still out on the forgiveness claims. That is the MAIN reason why I got the DCBs. I shot a 95 and then an 81. I'm in Texas so no golf for me in the near future. I want to say that it's going to help me over the long run because of the forgiveness. I feel like these don't spin as much as the CF19's. If anyone else has feedback on the DCBs i would greatly appreciate it!

....a little clunkier.  Is that to an extreme that you don't like the club?

On 2/18/2021 at 7:16 PM, Fredward said:

I would say that it's a drawback compared to my old CF19's but it's not a deal breaker. 1 being a deal breaker and 10 being perfect I would rate the clunk factor a 6.5. I can deal with it and I'm finding that the forgiveness is starting to come into play on my rounds on my simulator. Toe hits on the DCB CF21's are noticeably forgiving compared to the CF19's....that's a trade I would personally make. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:13 PM, magnus7319 said:

Apex pro vs p770. Anyone hit both? 

These were the two I tested in my final fit. When it comes to feel it depends on what feels you are looking for. The Apex Pro feels way better through the turf with the narrower sole. 

In the mid irons impact feel is about the same but the P770 mid irons sound slightly better. TXG in their Apex live test has some great feedback on the short and long irons.

Looks - The Apex pro is thinner and that’s what I like in an iron so to me it was the obvious winner at address.

Ball Speed - On center strikes I saw the exact same ball speed from both, and it was unchanged from my FG Tour V6. Good speed but not especially hot ball speed from either iron.

Spin - The Apex Pro was similar to my V6 and the iBlade I had in for comparison. The P770 was 500-600 rpm lower. The big issue here was I would occasionally get a really low spin flyer with the 770, this should not happen off of perfect lies, I would be scared of the P770 out of a jumpy lie in the rough.

Off center hits got great results on both the 770 and Apex pro. Both retained much more ball speed than my V6 or the new Staff CB. The Apex pro was better IMO on thin shots and toe misses, but only marginally when compared to the P770.

Overall I was very impressed with the Apex pro, I was concerned about it being jumpy or too hot, but in this application it seems the tech adds forgiveness and ball speed retention on misses rather than a hot faced distance iron.

Lastly, Callaway offered a better selection of no up charge shafts which is definitely a factor. I went with the X7 and for the first time ever didn’t have to pay extra for it.

Side note, I thought from address the Apex Pro and iBlade had a very similar profile.

End of the day I ordered the Apex Pro and couldn’t be more excited.

TLDR - Apex thinner and more spin, P770 chunkier and saw a couple low spin fliers. Otherwise similar.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

On 1/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, mason82 said:

Hit the Pro extensively during a fitting las week. Looked awesome, but the feel was pretty bad. Loud and clanky, and that was on centered shots.

I had a lot of time with it as well and have disagree on feel. The feel was pretty good IMO, the sound is definitely louder than I’m used to coming from a Staff V6, but the feel itself was solid.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

• 3 weeks later...

I went through a full callaway fitting yesterday..... outside with trackman and callaway tech rep.  Call me impressed!   In fact, I was so impressed that I am having my club order the irons and woods tomorrow...  

Irons:

I wound up being fit for the Apex Pro with kbs c taper stiff.  My 7 iron is usually at 85 mph and low 160s carry.  I was able to get 170 out of this combination with same swing while maintaining 6000 spin range and 47 descent angle.  They really do feel good.  Not clanky, imo.  They go through the turf well for me.  I'm a picker with shallow divots.  They kept ball speed very well on my miss, which is low on the face.  

Woods:

Epic speed 9* with the stock offering mitsubishi mmt 60 stiff over the ventus with velocore.  My SS is around 106, but can get 108-109 when warmed up.  I was carrying 260s pretty easily.  I actually hit it about 8 yards farther than my tsi3 with tour ad xc 60s.  The speed was easier to launch and lower spin for me.   I was set on the ventus and tried the mmt on a whim.... It gave me better numbers!!   I can't explain it.  The mmt is really a great feeling and performing shaft. My pro is getting the 70 x and he carries around 300...  He was shocked as well.  Saved me $300 bucks!! 

3 wood is epic speed with 70 mmt stiff.  I love the shape of this thing at address.  I preferred the speed over the max because it fit my eye better.  I liked the taller face and pear shape versus the flatter ping shape epic Max fairway.  I use it off the tee mostly, but had no problem hitting of the deck.  Nice flat trajectory. 

5 wood is epic Max with mmt 70 stiff.  This thing is too easy off the ground.  Very easy to get airborne and control.  

I imagine that It'll be a long wait....

Edited by bogeypro
  • Like 3

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

• 2 weeks later...

Question: do any of the three of these accept parallel tip iron shafts at all? more info is better.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

2 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

Question: do any of the three of these accept parallel tip iron shafts at all? more info is better.

In the past Callaway has made the Apex combo sets .370, and they would ream the .355 pro heads to .370 for the combos only. You should check with them to see if that is still the case with the ‘21 combos. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 minute ago, dmeeksDC said:

In the past Callaway has made the Apex combo sets .370, and they would ream the .355 pro heads to .370 for the combos only. You should check with them to see if that is still the case with the ‘21 combos. 

Interesting. Is there any info on the Apex 21 heads at all out there on hosel size? it did say that the apex pros in combo sets had "retooling" which might mean that they were bored to .370

Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Just confirmed. the quote was something like "in the combo sets, the Apex Pros will have different tooling and also use parallel tipped shafts like the Apex21 and Apex DCB"

Artisan 0418 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Hit about 20 balls with an Apex Pro 7 iron on Thursday, fitted with the Mitsubishi MMT 95 stiff shaft.

Impressive combo. Very consistent carry on shot after shot, felt really good and even more so with this shaft, which is somehow smooth but also doesn’t flinch if you go after one. 

7 minutes ago, Warrick said:

Pretty tempted to do a combo with reg and pro, even more so wanting to try the new TT Elevate ETS.

Ordered mine Monday, hopefully they're close to the 1-2 weeks ETA.

5-A, MMT 95.  If I weren't so old, may have gone straight Pro, but father time always wins. 

Coming from Apex Pro 2014s with Recoil 110 Protos, so I expect a little adjustment time, but quite excited, first new sticks in 7 years.

• Like 2

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

6 hours ago, Warrick said:

Pretty tempted to do a combo with reg and pro, even more so wanting to try the new TT Elevate ETS.

Thats a great combo actually. I have tried Apex STD 4-6 and Apex Pro 7-P. This combo does literally everything. Long when it needs to be and precise via correct spin in the short irons. Adding an Apex Pro Hybrid to replace the 4 iron isn't a terrible idea either. Let me know how you shake out.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, TheMoneyShot said:

I wish the Apex pro was adjustable, makes it so much easier to test shafts. Love the size and shape of it. 

I just got me hands on one a few weeks ago and Im loving it. I landed on the 23 pro to replace my four iron. It has a Ventus Blue 10X @ 39.25 inches. So good I might try the 26. In regards to the bonded hosel I would tend to agree, it makes that part pretty simple but I will say I do like the stable feel of the bonded set ups, feels more like an iron to me. 

9 hours ago, GSDriver said:

Ordered mine Monday, hopefully they're close to the 1-2 weeks ETA.

5-A, MMT 95.  If I weren't so old, may have gone straight Pro, but father time always wins. 

Coming from Apex Pro 2014s with Recoil 110 Protos, so I expect a little adjustment time, but quite excited, first new sticks in 7 years.

I am old too.  I also currently play Recoil 110 F4's (In Srixon Z945's)  Were you fit for these?  In what ways were they different from your current set.  May I ask for your driver SS? (Mine is between 99 and 100 per Trackman).  You probably ordered the exact set I would want!

Also love your Avatar.  I have had GSD's for a while (trained dogs for Schutzhund competition for years).

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

15 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

I am old too.  I also currently play Recoil 110 F4's (In Srixon Z945's)  Were you fit for these?  In what ways were they different from your current set.  May I ask for your driver SS? (Mine is between 99 and 100 per Trackman).  You probably ordered the exact set I would want!

Also love your Avatar.  I have had GSD's for a while (trained dogs for Schutzhund competition for years).

Thanks, that girl (GSD) crossed the rainbow bridge back in January, but we got out other GSD a new puppy couple weeks back 🙂

I'll let you know, won't have clubs for estimated 1-2 weeks.

Driver SS around 100, give or take a few...getting older by the day.

I wanted to try MMTs, was thinking Recoil 95s, but since new clubs time for something different, I can always change, though I can play about anything with a couple of practice rounds.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

On 4/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, GSDriver said:

Thanks, that girl (GSD) crossed the rainbow bridge back in January, but we got out other GSD a new puppy couple weeks back 🙂

I'll let you know, won't have clubs for estimated 1-2 weeks.

Driver SS around 100, give or take a few...getting older by the day.

I wanted to try MMTs, was thinking Recoil 95s, but since new clubs time for something different, I can always change, though I can play about anything with a couple of practice rounds.

Same with me. I bought and now have exchanged a Apex 5-6/Forged CB 8-G combo (DIY combo, as Callaway doesn’t offer it) with Project X IO 6.0. Had the 30 days to try them and love the XFCB but kept hitting the Apex Pro all along and felt like it blends better with the XFCB. Still may get a standard Apex 4 iron at some point. Plus, the shaft was beating me up a little. Not a lot, but was getting sore wrists. 

Sent those back and am now awaiting Apex Pro 5-7/XFCB 8-G with Project X Catalyst 100 6.0 graphites. If I had not liked the Catalyst 100, would have gone with the MMT 95 stiff. It performed very well too. I nearly went with C Taper Lite stiff, but had a chance to test the graphite shafts in two sessions and enjoyed them. Could definitely play any of those shafts. 

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Same with me. I bought and now have exchanged a Apex 5-6/Forged CB 8-G combo (DIY combo, as Callaway doesn’t offer it) with Project X IO 6.0. Had the 30 days to try them and love the XFCB but kept hitting the Apex Pro all along and felt like it blends better with the XFCB. Still may get a standard Apex 4 iron at some point. Plus, the shaft was beating me up a little. Not a lot, but was getting sore wrists. 

Sent those back and am now awaiting Apex Pro 5-7/XFCB 8-G with Project X Catalyst 100 6.0 graphites. If I had not liked the Catalyst 100, would have gone with the MMT 95 stiff. It performed very well too. I nearly went with C Taper Lite stiff, but had a chance to test the graphite shafts in two sessions and enjoyed them. Could definitely play any of those shafts. 

Do you have any issues with ball height with the Catalyst 100s?  The one time I tried them in a demo Mavrik Pro 7i, they were very low launching.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

8 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Do you have any issues with ball height with the Catalyst 100s?  The one time I tried them in a demo Mavrik Pro 7i, they were very low launching.

In testing ( 7 iron only) they were great. Got basically the same results with the MMT 95 and Catalyst 100 6.0. Then again, I’m typically trying to bring launch down, which is partly shaft but mostly me adding loft at impact due to hanging back (body stall) as a swing flaw. 

They are Project X shafts and give that penetrating flight, which I like. I do think they are a graphite aimed at stronger players with above average speed. They hold up. I was at 88 mph average with the 7 iron and the 100 6.0 worked well. Easier to handle than the Rifles, but not flimsy at all. I wouldn’t need the 6.5, that’s for sure, but I also wouldn’t be afraid to try the Catalyst 80 constant weight 6.0 version because they’re also solid. To me the 100 plays equivalent to a 115-120 gram steel shaft. The 100 and 80 are the only 2 taper tip options. 

The Catalyst .370 tip shafts have a lighter range and feel softer, so plenty of options. 

I’ll give a full update when I get them out. Got a shipped notice on Saturday except for 5-6 irons which are a week behind. 

Quick Kudos to Callaway.... I ordered Max LS driver on March 30, then Apex Mixed Combo set on March 31 (with custom specs)....both already shipped and waiting to clear customs, so I'll have within 10 days from order to receive date! 

THANK YOU CALLAWAY GOLF!

• Like 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

On 4/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, Pinky5 said:

I'm really wanting a set with a thinner topline, but without getting all the way into a pure blade. How do the Pro's compare to the MBs? Are they perfectly between the regular Apex and the MB? Thinking about distance and forgiveness.

I made the switch after playing Mizuno blades for the past ~18 years.  You'll be surprised how much they look like a blade from address.  Plenty of feedback on the forums around how these feel and play, but needless to say I'm really happy I have these in the bag - the looks hit the mark and the forgiveness has been a nice surprise (over blades) especially in the 4 & 5 irons.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, toddmanley said:

I made the switch after playing Mizuno blades for the past ~18 years.  You'll be surprised how much they look like a blade from address.  Plenty of feedback on the forums around how these feel and play, but needless to say I'm really happy I have these in the bag - the looks hit the mark and the forgiveness has been a nice surprise (over blades) especially in the 4 & 5 irons.

Are you talking about the regular Apex 21s or the Apex Pros?

On 2/18/2021 at 7:16 PM, Fredward said:

I would second that they the DCB and Apex 21 dont seem to be as soft as the Apex 19. At first I thought was the shaft I ordered so swapped them out and still same feel.  My PXG Gen2s are noticeably softer.  

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, bogeypro said:

I went through a full callaway fitting yesterday..... outside with trackman and callaway tech rep.  Call me impressed!   In fact, I was so impressed that I am having my club order the irons and woods tomorrow...  

Irons:

I wound up being fit for the Apex Pro with kbs c taper stiff.  My 7 iron is usually at 85 mph and low 160s carry.  I was able to get 170 out of this combination with same swing while maintaining 6000 spin range and 47 descent angle.  They really do feel good.  Not clanky, imo.  They go through the turf well for me.  I'm a picker with shallow divots.  They kept ball speed very well on my miss, which is low on the face.  

Woods:

Epic speed 9* with the stock offering mitsubishi mmt 60 stiff over the ventus with velocore.  My SS is around 106, but can get 108-109 when warmed up.  I was carrying 260s pretty easily.  I actually hit it about 8 yards farther than my tsi3 with tour ad xc 60s.  The speed was easier to launch and lower spin for me.   I was set on the ventus and tried the mmt on a whim.... It gave me better numbers!!   I can't explain it.  The mmt is really a great feeling and performing shaft. My pro is getting the 70 x and he carries around 300...  He was shocked as well.  Saved me $300 bucks!! 

3 wood is epic speed with 70 mmt stiff.  I love the shape of this thing at address.  I preferred the speed over the max because it fit my eye better.  I liked the taller face and pear shape versus the flatter ping shape epic Max fairway.  I use it off the tee mostly, but had no problem hitting of the deck.  Nice flat trajectory. 

5 wood is epic Max with mmt 70 stiff.  This thing is too easy off the ground.  Very easy to get airborne and control.  

I imagine that It'll be a long wait....

I have the 60S MMT in my driver and its an awesome shaft, and i compared it to everything. How is the MMT in the 3 wood?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X