A lesson with Monte and what I learned...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the weekend I had a chance to take a 1-hour lesson with Monte. Might be the best decision I've made for my golf game.   I've been a self taught player my whole life. I was a pretty crap

In transition, instead of down I want to move the club backwards, away from me - opposite the direction of my body - maintain width - I also use the intent of putting the butt of the club into my righ

Nice!  I had my first lesson with him on Thursday on the course and it was great.  It really is amazing how keen his eye is and how quick he’s able to get to the root of the issue.  For me no wrist hi

Nice!  I had my first lesson with him on Thursday on the course and it was great.  It really is amazing how keen his eye is and how quick he’s able to get to the root of the issue.  For me no wrist hinge 

He also got to the other root problem I have, thinking of way too much at once.  He said, “you should be thinking of one thing at a time but you are thinking of 3- 8 at a time and that might be conservative, lol.”

• Like 2
5 hours ago, cb24 said:

Nice!  I had my first lesson with him on Thursday on the course and it was great.  It really is amazing how keen his eye is and how quick he’s able to get to the root of the issue.  For me no wrist hinge 

He also got to the other root problem I have, thinking of way too much at once.  He said, “you should be thinking of one thing at a time but you are thinking of 3- 8 at a time and that might be conservative, lol.”

Playing on the course with him would be a blast! Did you guys play at a track in Laguna Niguel?

How did he know you were thinking too much while you were playing? I didn't know he was a mind reader too! 😛

I wish I could see him in person but will likely go the virtual route. Have a couple drills I continuously use as well as the NTC. I just need some help putting everything together to solve my issues. 

• Like 1

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

3 hours ago, Parker19822 said:

Playing on the course with him would be a blast! Did you guys play at a track in Laguna Niguel?

How did he know you were thinking too much while you were playing? I didn't know he was a mind reader too! 😛

my brother in law is a member at Coto so we played there.  It was fun for everyone since Monte hadn’t played there in a while.  The greens were nice and quick.  

yeah, he definitely could be a kind reader but I think he caught on quick when I said, “well then after that where do I go, and then my knees do this, hands go here, turn shoulders...” and more lol!  He said in his characteristic gruff Monte voice, “Just stop it!  You’re thinking wayyyy too much!”  Best advice I have gotten in a while 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I wish I could see him in person but will likely go the virtual route. Have a couple drills I continuously use as well as the NTC. I just need some help putting everything together to solve my issues. 

I had bought a bunch of his videos and loved his concepts, but like you, I didn't know what to work on first. Even if you can get him to analyze your swing on video, I have no doubt he'll get you going in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, cb24 said:

my brother in law is a member at Coto so we played there.  It was fun for everyone since Monte hadn’t played there in a while.  The greens were nice and quick.  

yeah, he definitely could be a kind reader but I think he caught on quick when I said, “well then after that where do I go, and then my knees do this, hands go here, turn shoulders...” and more lol!  He said in his characteristic gruff Monte voice, “Just stop it!  You’re thinking wayyyy too much!”  Best advice I have gotten in a while 

Haha! That's awesome! I can relate to that though. I now have only one thing to think about and work on, and it's hugely liberating (especially as an overthinker myself). 

48 minutes ago, Pulledit said:

That sync the arms video really helped me as a player who would just focus on hips for my first move

What's crazy @Pulledit is I don't feel like my hips are driving the downswing. I feel more of a sensation where my entire left side is driving my pivot, so by the time my shoulders and hips are square to the ball, my hands haven't even reached my trail thigh yet. It's not a backswing issue either, because that's the one part of my swing that Monte said looked good.

In regards to the drill, I can understand it in practice, but when I think about how it translates into my swing, I'm really confused by the feel. Once you shift to your left side during the downswing, do you feel like your shoulders are driving the pivot? Hands? Arms? I'm unclear about how to get my hands and arms in position before turning through the ball. 

30 minutes ago, Parker19822 said:

What's crazy @Pulledit is I don't feel like my hips are driving the downswing. I feel more of a sensation where my entire left side is driving my pivot, so by the time my shoulders and hips are square to the ball, my hands haven't even reached my trail thigh yet. It's not a backswing issue either, because that's the one part of my swing that Monte said looked good.

In regards to the drill, I can understand it in practice, but when I think about how it translates into my swing, I'm really confused by the feel. Once you shift to your left side during the downswing, do you feel like your shoulders are driving the pivot? Hands? Arms? I'm unclear about how to get my hands and arms in position before turning through the ball. 

This might help clear things up if we are talking about recentering.   Or not, lol.  Shift, rotate, shift,rotate pattern.    I’ve also posted several lessons from Dana d where he has people do the recentering and tells them that as soon as they fall to the toe of their lead foot then it is all rotation as Todd talks about in this short clip below    To me I feel like I’m trying to hit the ball with my right shoulder by rotating it as fast as I can - the old arms do nothing. the arms aren’t passive assuming you’ve trained them to do the NTC cast - I can also use the intent of throwing the club behind ( ntc cast) me in transition and get the same results.    Two intents with same result depending on what you want the feel to be.   But both setup by the recentering move.   Never think about my hips, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYGhArFN1O/

one of my fav explanations

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

49 minutes ago, Parker19822 said:

Im no instructor but the part that really helped me started around 13:00 where the instructor talks about pumping the arms down until the butt of the club syncs up with your belt buckle.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, glk said:

This might help clear things up if we are talking about recentering.   Or not, lol.  Shift, rotate, shift,rotate pattern.    I’ve also posted several lessons from Dana d where he has people do the recentering and tells them that as soon as they fall to the toe of their lead foot then it is all rotation as Todd talks about in this short clip below    To me I feel like I’m trying to hit the ball with my right shoulder by rotating it as fast as I can - the old arms do nothing. the arms aren’t passive assuming you’ve trained them to do the NTC cast - I can also use the intent of throwing the club behind ( ntc cast) me in transition and get the same results.    Two intents with same result depending on what you want the feel to be.   But both setup by the recentering move.   Never think about my hips, etc.

Thanks for the response @glk.

When I went to see Monte, I thought we'd work a bit on the NTC, but we remained focused on the hands and arms falling behind, so we didn't dive deep into those concepts. I might need to re-watch his courses to see if I can find some feels that might help me get my hands and arms caught up to my pivot.

While I'm familiar with the two feels/motions you mentioned in your comment, my hands and arms don't have any feels right now other than to follow my pivot/body turn. I think the problem for me is that they're too passive as it is, hence why they're falling behind. I need to figure out what the hell my arms are supposed to do so they stop getting stuck, and as of now, the drills in the NTC method just seem very foreign and like I'm manipulating the club too much with my hands. With the way my brain works, that just doesn't translate to a motion that feels like it's going to generate any power because my feelings of power came from my torso spinning out too soon. And for the record, my current swing has a ton of power leaks, so I don't really know what a powerful swing feels like to begin with.

It's going to be a process, but I'm determined to figure this out!

2 hours ago, Pulledit said:

Im no instructor but the part that really helped me started around 13:00 where the instructor talks about pumping the arms down until the butt of the club syncs up with your belt buckle.

Good to know @pulledit. I'm going to be working on this drill this weekend at the range.

Do you have your sequencing good enough now that you have some shaft lean at impact?

1 hour ago, Parker19822 said:

Thanks for the response @glk.

When I went to see Monte, I thought we'd work a bit on the NTC, but we remained focused on the hands and arms falling behind, so we didn't dive deep into those concepts. I might need to re-watch his courses to see if I can find some feels that might help me get my hands and arms caught up to my pivot.

While I'm familiar with the two feels/motions you mentioned in your comment, my hands and arms don't have any feels right now other than to follow my pivot/body turn. I think the problem for me is that they're too passive as it is, hence why they're falling behind. I need to figure out what the hell my arms are supposed to do so they stop getting stuck, and as of now, the drills in the NTC method just seem very foreign and like I'm manipulating the club too much with my hands. With the way my brain works, that just doesn't translate to a motion that feels like it's going to generate any power because my feelings of power came from my torso spinning out too soon. And for the record, my current swing has a ton of power leaks, so I don't really know what a powerful swing feels like to begin with.

It's going to be a process, but I'm determined to figure this out!

Gotcha.   I was upper body dominate but as I improved and used my pivot and arms more in synch I felt my arms were slow - it is all relative - when moving to a swing where you recruit more power and different sources things that used to feel powerful or fast can change.   Fwp and Tyler both told me this is pretty common.   So if you are in the stage of limbo that can be a good thing - took me quite a while to really refine it after an initial couple of months wandering  in the fog.     Right now it just feels like after  I recenter it is all rotation and I’m in my finish and my arms did nothing - picked up 30 yards.     Who da thunk.     

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Enjoy every sandwich

17 hours ago, glk said:

When you say 'throwing the club behind me', do you mean throwing it down the target line 'away' from the target?  I hear this a lot but always wonder what behind is relative to?

13 hours ago, glk said:

Gotcha.   I was upper body dominate but as I improved and used my pivot and arms more in synch I felt my arms were slow - it is all relative - when moving to a swing where you recruit more power and different sources things that used to feel powerful or fast can change.   Fwp and Tyler both told me this is pretty common.   So if you are in the stage of limbo that can be a good thing - took me quite a while to really refine it after an initial couple of months wandering  in the fog.     Right now it just feels like after  I recenter it is all rotation and I’m in my finish and my arms did nothing - picked up 30 yards.     Who da thunk.     

Wow! 30 yards is a ton! I feel like I have at least 20 yards leaking out because of the inefficiencies in my swing. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I have to get comfortable with feeling lost right now. Your experience gives me hope though!

21 minutes ago, DShepley said:

When you say 'throwing the club behind me', do you mean throwing it down the target line 'away' from the target?  I hear this a lot but always wonder what behind is relative to?

In transition, instead of down I want to move the club backwards, away from me - opposite the direction of my body - maintain width - I also use the intent of putting the butt of the club into my right pocket in transition - have a steep hand path to start  - have to be careful not to pull down to do this (why  maintaining width is key)  - this one gets my right arm connected and bring my elbow down and forward close to my body -  I do them slowly.      Just different intents for Monte’s cast, Jake Hutt, and iteach talked about getting the hands from the shoulder via straightening right arm quickly - and to avoid pulling the handle (which I have had plenty of past experience doing).

this amg clip captures  it well - width, move away from direction shifting, and steep initial hand path ( butt of club in pocket intent for me).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJORHWDA7jM/

Edited by glk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Enjoy every sandwich

11 minutes ago, glk said:

In transition, instead of down I want to move the club backwards, away from me - opposite the direction of my body - maintain width - I also use the intent of putting the butt of the club into my right pocket in transition - have a steep hand path to start  - have to be careful not to pull down to do this (why  maintaining width is key)  - this one gets my right arm connected and bring my elbow down and forward close to my body -  I do them slowly.      Just different intents for Monte’s cast, Jake Hutt, and iteach talked about getting the hands from the shoulder via straightening right arm quickly - and to avoid pulling the handle (which I have had plenty of past experience doing).

this amg clip captures  it well - width, move away from direction shifting, and steep initial hand path ( butt of club in pocket intent for me).

Thanks, that's what I thought.  This is a key I like to use as well I think of it as throwing the club to my right down my toe line.  Width, width, width....when I get it right, things go well.

21 minutes ago, Parker19822 said:

Wow! 30 yards is a ton! I feel like I have at least 20 yards leaking out because of the inefficiencies in my swing. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I have to get comfortable with feeling lost right now. Your experience gives me hope though!

Yeah I pulled the club head behind me early, flattened the shaft, lift, then pull down steep, ee, flip move - and my setup sucked.  I made it hard on myself by having to work against the club to put it on the ball.    I had so much stuff that  I had to change  (even though I could play pretty decent golf as a 5) that it did take me 2.5 years.     Hopefully you have less significant issues and your progress can be quicker.

• Like 2

Enjoy every sandwich

50 minutes ago, Parker19822 said:

Just chiming in with my own experience (I'll hang up and listen) - I think I was at your limbo stage just a while ago : recenter, pivot/rotate and what are my arms supposed to do (goes so fast)?... but definitely keep working on the NTC drills - castA; ulnar, throw the club back (don't let that right shoulder dip)... and once that syncs up / better sequencing, you'll feel your arms don't do much after the casts (rotational and vertical forces will do the rest) - you'll gain tremendous and effortless power/speed... thanks to glk posts (showing Dana D, AMG recentering), Monte knowledge and alot of practice to sync it up (obvisouly still working on it!) I never thought I could gain 10mph driver speed (108 to 118) 'effortlessly' - ball literally jumps now and carry 290-295... you definitely have that 20-30 yds in the tank

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MtlJayMan said:

Just chiming in with my own experience (I'll hang up and listen) - I think I was at your limbo stage just a while ago : recenter, pivot/rotate and what are my arms supposed to do (goes so fast)?... but definitely keep working on the NTC drills - castA; ulnar, throw the club back (don't let that right shoulder dip)... and once that syncs up / better sequencing, you'll feel your arms don't do much after the casts (rotational and vertical forces will do the rest) - you'll gain tremendous and effortless power/speed... thanks to glk posts (showing Dana D, AMG recentering), Monte knowledge and alot of practice to sync it up (obvisouly still working on it!) I never thought I could gain 10mph driver speed (108 to 118) 'effortlessly' - ball literally jumps now and carry 290-295... you definitely have that 20-30 yds in the tank

I just started doing Monte's NTC and didn't even think about this.  After thinking about it, and trying it out, i was definitely letting the right shoulder dip.  I think this is going to help me quite a bit.  Hoping I can get some good speed increases myself!

2 hours ago, glk said:

That AMG video was phenomenal. Thank you!

7 hours ago, glk said:

Went down a jake hutt rabbit hole today thanks to this comment. Very helpful and thank you!

On 1/12/2021 at 8:34 AM, TLUBulldogGolf said:

You should consider a Facetime lesson with Monte. I did one in December with him - I don't feel like I lost that much from a live in-person lesson. I have done live lessons with him in the past, and I felt the remote live lesson was still very helpful.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 5:56 AM, Parker19822 said:

Wow... After you mentioned Laguna Niguel I looked it up and realized Monte gives lessons at No Bogeys. I just found them as I needed to have a lob wedge built and putter regripped (and all the rest of my clubs regripped), and had a 30 min swing evaluation with Justin B. over there. 

I've been planning (once COVID settles down and/or I get the vaccines) on getting some lessons there--now I'll have to decide whether to go back to Justin or go to the infamous* Monte...

* infamous = "internet famous", not the more negative connotation lol...

• Like 1

For me getting width on the downswing is the strangest feeling as someone who kept their right arm bent forever with a right shoulder dip. I need a sustained pause at the top just to give me time to straighten the right arm with a twist of the club(my feeling for cast A) and the left shoulder working down. 

Getting the left shoulder and clubhead to work in opposite directions is very counter intuitive. 

If I don’t extend and twist I will stall and flip 

if I don’t get it the left foot with the pivot I will hit it a bit heavy.

just got to stick with it. I actually hit it flush more often if I stop at the top, slowly move the right arm and left shoulder stop then rotate. Hopefully it will become more natural or i will end up like Charles Barkley or Sandy Lyle.

i would take Sandy Lyle mind:-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have worked with Monte for a while now. You just plug away at it...It's like he provides a basic framework to understand my swing, what the key milestones and associated feels are.  I have to fill in the blank spaces and work like hell to get used to them. 

But, all that work pays off.  So says my scorecard.  

• Like 2

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

On 1/16/2021 at 10:29 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

Wow... After you mentioned Laguna Niguel I looked it up and realized Monte gives lessons at No Bogeys. I just found them as I needed to have a lob wedge built and putter regripped (and all the rest of my clubs regripped), and had a 30 min swing evaluation with Justin B. over there. 

I've been planning (once COVID settles down and/or I get the vaccines) on getting some lessons there--now I'll have to decide whether to go back to Justin or go to the infamous* Monte...

* infamous = "internet famous", not the more negative connotation lol...

No Bogeys is a cool facility. It's not terribly big, but to be able to hit on a trackman and accumulate data during your lesson is really awesome. It's about 45 minutes from my house, so not a place I would go to regularly, but I do wish we had a place like it closer to where I live. It's definitely tailored to golf nerds like us at GolfWRX. 

Edited by Parker19822
spelling
On 1/15/2021 at 4:15 PM, dcl5dcl5 said:

You should consider a Facetime lesson with Monte. I did one in December with him - I don't feel like I lost that much from a live in-person lesson. I have done live lessons with him in the past, and I felt the remote live lesson was still very helpful.

I’m going to do something with him soon. I’m seeing some good things with his drills but I need to put it all together.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0