Golf stocks: The silver lining for Covid golf ⛳

pktaske

While we scramble for tee times and count the minutes till sundown while we're on 16, the good news is that golf stocks are paying dividends (figuratively as all monies are reinvested) in a big way. Record golf sales this holiday season were reported as Junior and Bubba unwrapped their new golf bags and drivers. Calloway and Acushnet are hitting new highs each day. Aside from the benefits of stock ownership, what do you think this huge influx of cash will mean over the next few years for us? Cheaper equipment? Inovation?  More suppliers/competition?

Edited by pktaske
  • Like 1

Well there is no "huge influx of cash" or assets unless these companies do secondary offerings or use their stock to make acquisitions (as Callaway did for the rest of TopGolf). The big story will be whether TopGolf will continue on its trajectory and become a $10 billion+++ business or whether it will flop (and likely take the entire company down with it). It will be interesting to see.

Oh and the margins on golf gear continue to shrink every year. Titleist's golf ball moat is safe for now, but people are starting to realize that there's not much innovation lately and upstarts like Costco are eating away at the bottom line. IMHO Callaway had to make the TopGolf deal because I don't think they have a future as a golf equipment supplier.

Edited by tw_focus
  • Like 3

Less than a year ago it was at a record or near record low, a year ago it was not too far behind where it is now, but it's definitely at a record high at this moment but volatile in a way? Top Golf deal took it down in a big hurry less than a couple months ago so my totally uninformed can't buy or sell stocks over the phone speculation is the above post is correct - hitched its star to Top Golf performance.  Who knows how the you know what and any gains in participation will play out - history wouldn't suggest much real positive gains in a sustained way, guessing 2-5 years will tell the tale on that end of it whether outside or inside?

Interesting.

7 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

It will mean nothing for the consumer except higher prices and more marketing nonsense hype.

Nothing gets better.

Everything only gets worse because people are more greedy than ever.

One of these days we'll get that true, forged butter player's blade with a sweet spot the size of Indiana that launches the ball 20 yards farther - you've got to keep buying irons every year if you want to keep up with the progress!  Do what I do, just blame not getting better on the mental game. 😉

If you manage a publicly traded company the quickest way to maximize your compensation is to drive profit/share price, so doubt equipment prices will come down.

All the companies have been competing on innovation for years based on their advertising, and club/ball design is pretty tightly regulated so not sure where significant new innovation would happen.

Direct suppliers like Sub 70, PXG and New Level may have a more significant impact than COVID.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

23 hours ago, tw_focus said:

I don't think they have a future as a golf equipment supplier.

Why? All things being equal combined with the ever present opinion from a lot of posters on here that's its the archer and not the arrow, wouldn't brand recognition remain the primary driver over other less know brands to the influx of newer golfers?

Will Top Golf offer all brands to play with, or only Callaway now?

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I doubt this is sustainable. I mean as OP says there is a clear reason for this. Given the likelihood that more sports will be do-able this summer and going forward, i imagine it will be somewhat of a "mini tiger boom" which will return to normal

A lot of people rushed to buy equipment in late Q1-Q2 because it appeared at that time that there would be nothing else legal to do. This kicked up again a bit in September depending on what state/province you lived it (Quebec only individual sports were allowed so golf became popular again)

Golf clubs, home Gym equipment like treadmills....these things all sold out. We have a local public course that is basically always rumored to be for sale, you literally couldn't get a tee time there this summer

This will not continue...

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Golf courses did well, equipement manufactuers  did OK, remmebr they had already committed to inventory arrival at the time of out break, so there so called back up orders to the manufactuering plants were likely canceled- hense the eventual shortage of certain products. Many, all in my state the proshops were closed, oh sure you could get something handed to you thru the window but it did impact sales greatly of golf goods including clubs.

I don't know of one golf company that going to get you rich from investing. High tech stocks are where its at.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:21 PM, pktaske said:

While we scramble for tee times and count the minutes till sundown while we're on 16, the good news is that golf stocks are paying dividends (figuratively as all monies are reinvested) in a big way. Record golf sales this holiday season were reported as Junior and Bubba unwrapped their new golf bags and drivers. Calloway and Acushnet are hitting new highs each day. Aside from the benefits of stock ownership, what do you think this huge influx of cash will mean over the next few years for us? Cheaper equipment? Inovation?  More suppliers/competition?

Other than maybe a few new "boutique" brands popping up trying to take advantage of a good market I don't see much changing on the equipment side of things. I don't know anyone business who thinks it is a good idea to lower their prices as sales are steadily increasing, and innovation (or lack thereof in some years) seems to be a given year in and year out regardless of what the market is doing. 

I would hope we'll see some positive changes on the course side of things though. Hopefully with the increased profits from this past year and upcoming year they might be able to complete projects they may have had on the back burner. Things like bunker repairs, redoing greens, range and practice area improvements, new carts, and etc...

12 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I doubt this is sustainable. I mean as OP says there is a clear reason for this. Given the likelihood that more sports will be do-able this summer and going forward, i imagine it will be somewhat of a "mini tiger boom" which will return to normal

A lot of people rushed to buy equipment in late Q1-Q2 because it appeared at that time that there would be nothing else legal to do. This kicked up again a bit in September depending on what state/province you lived it (Quebec only individual sports were allowed so golf became popular again)

Golf clubs, home Gym equipment like treadmills....these things all sold out. We have a local public course that is basically always rumored to be for sale, you literally couldn't get a tee time there this summer

I agree. It is hard to see now but life will eventually return to a pre-covid sense of normalcy. That is when we see if this so called boom actually has legs. I suspect clubs will lose some membership, people will be unloading home exercise equipment in droves, club manufacturers will struggle to offload inventory again, and golf will have to compete with activities folks have been unable to do because of the pandemic. Just my take on it.

You may see a small uptick but there needs to be a driver to sustain it and there currently isn't one. For equipment it's turning into the car market. Manufactured have realize there is premium, ultra premium, and budget market. People in the budget market seem to be turning more to used equipment so there is no money to be made there for oem's so they are improving the other two and increasing price points. 

22 hours ago, pktaske said:

Why? All things being equal combined with the ever present opinion from a lot of posters on here that's its the archer and not the arrow, wouldn't brand recognition remain the primary driver over other less know brands to the influx of newer golfers?

Callaway is basically breaking even on a full year basis right now but they are an "old man brand". Their customer base is dying out, spells bad for long-term success.

22 hours ago, Quasimoto said:

Will Top Golf offer all brands to play with, or only Callaway now?

Not sure, maybe someone else knows. But it's really questionable whether you want to have your brand name on that gear. "Oh Callaway, that's the brand with the cheeto grips and the puke-stained hosel" - not the best look if you're trying to sell high-margin merchandise.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:47 AM, MtlJeff said:

Agreed. Much like many things about COVID, we're not creating something from nothing, we're simply pulling future events forward. The bubble we see today will be offset by the dip that will inevitably come later. Five years from now there will be little net gain or loss, and whatever trajectory these things were on prior to COVID will continue as they were.

• Like 1

Golf stocks have never been on my buy list.

I stick to commodities - copper, gold, platinum, palladium, silver, rare earths.

The are cyclical like everything else, however there is some predictability if you know where to look.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Golf is a great sport, but a terrible business model.  No need for me to allocate $s to golf investments just because I love the game.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

On 1/12/2021 at 6:00 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

This will help insure a better supply of lower priced, good quality used equipment in the coming years. 

With the influx of new players and others “getting back into the game,” not sure if you’ll be getting “good quality used equipment,” at least by GolfWRX standards!

I have seen A LOT of used clubs at the local golf shop with many sky marks and “sweet spot” towards the toe and heel!  🤪

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

• 4 weeks later...

Wait until the pandemic is over.  Golf stocks will go back down.  This is exactly the way golf was back in the day when Tiger was at his peak.  My wife is the one that does all the finances and we stay away from golf and airline stocks for good reason. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Wait until the pandemic is over.  Golf stocks will go back down.  This is exactly the way golf was back in the day when Tiger was at his peak.  My wife is the one that does all the finances and we stay away from golf and airline stocks for good reason. 

Hopefully she had a bit in Tilray.