15 clubs in the bag?

hybrid25

3 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

I think they should drop it to 8.

It would promote thinking & creativity, everyone could carry a Sunday bag and walk, the game would become more about shot making and the price of sets would go down. 

Driver, FW wood, Irons 26*, 34*, 42*, 50*, 58*, Putter. 

I bet most guys would shoot lower and have more fun. 

Cart should be banned unless you have a disability or are over 80 years old. 

Get off my lawn! 😂

• Haha 1

$$$$

There are plenty of golfers in my senior group that has 2 sets of bags on their private cart. From time to time I see some using clubs from both bags. Do I care? No......we're a bunch of geezers!

• Like 2

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Some of these posts are really weird.  If you could score the same with 12 or 13, why are those extra clubs there instead of something else (like a SureOut or a 64 Pm Grind, the easiest club ever to flop) or a second driver or a broomstick automatic inside four feet putter.  If you openly admit and know that that particular club wouldn't be missed and is irrelevant to your score, you are telling me there is no club on planet earth that you could find that you *would* hit, even if once in a while?

These are the people who don't understand why some people try two drivers in one thread and then brag about how they only need 9 clubs in another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

19 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Some of these posts are really weird.  If you could score the same with 12 or 13, why are those extra clubs there instead of something else (like a SureOut or a 64 Pm Grind, the easiest club ever to flop) or a second driver or a broomstick automatic inside four feet putter.  If you openly admit and know that that particular club wouldn't be missed and is irrelevant to your score, you are telling me there is no club on planet earth that you could find that you *would* hit, even if once in a while?

These are the people who don't understand why some people try two drivers in one thread and then brag about how they only need 9 clubs in another.

Because for us, that extra club isn't giving us a shot that we don't already have.  I don't need a SureOut to execute a flop shot, etc.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

14 clubs is more than enough in my mind. It's been working for 75+ years, and with all of the technology updates those 14 clubs are infinitely more versatile than they were in the 30s and 40s. 

If you change it to 15 the people who say 14 isn't enough will just start saying 15 isn't enough, and the people who say they only need 10 will still keep saying they only need 10. 

15 hours ago, Strategery said:

I absolutely would support 15+. There should be no limit. Good for my enjoyment. Good for the equipment industry. When you think about it, it's really silly that there is a rule to a *game* which caps your fun.

Golf doesn’t need any rules to cap my „fun“. It’s hell. 

• Haha 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Personally I'd be fine with only 10, anything beyond that is rarely used and just adds weight and expense to my bag anyway. If it's a casual round and there's no money involved you can carry 57 clubs including three foot wedges for all I care, however I've never played with anyone where I thought "Wow, you know what this guy's problem is? Not enough clubs in the bag".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Golf doesn’t need any rules to cap my „fun“. It’s hell. 

The other rules are to establish a common framework for competition, although clearly no rules need to be followed outside of competition. That would be a personal choice (no matter how strongly you feel about that).

The club limit rule stands out as silly arbitrary rule which reduces enjoyment and hurts the golf equipment industry.

I've enjoyed playing with 10 or so over the winter.  I'll do it more often in the season I think.

14 feels like more than enough for competitive golf.  Take 15 for casual rounds if that's what you want to do.  Two drivers would probably be the way I would go if it was increased to 15.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

30 minutes ago, Jamie_Tee said:

I've enjoyed playing with 10 or so over the winter.  I'll do it more often in the season I think.

14 feels like more than enough for competitive golf.  Take 15 for casual rounds if that's what you want to do.  Two drivers would probably be the way I would go if it was increased to 15.

Honestly if it was increased to 15 I would add my Niblick chipper back in! 

When I battled the chipping yips for a couple years I didnt realize how often I used it LOL. 

Bad lie with rocks around? Chipper.

Tight lie chip with my "issues"? Chipper.

Rescue punch out? Chipper

Need to hit a low runner? Chipper.

I beat the tar out of that thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Except for tournaments etc. I don't have a problem if someone carries 15+  clubs. Personally I sometimes do just cause I like to try different drivers out. I just don't turn in the score. Other times I take clubs out so I can bring 3-4 drivers. I'm not an obsessed driver ho de ho, just do it for fun. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

5 minutes ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Just when you think the human race has reached some sorts of depth of stupidity....

and to whom and what are you referring to?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I carried 15 this season since I was coming back to golf after 10+ years and upgrading my whole bag on the fly during the season. Just recently sold off my 56 SW to get down to 14 clubs. I prefer 14 because it forces you to think critically about what clubs you keep in the bag up top and at the bottom of the bag, and which clubs are most important and most useful to you. 

I agree that if the limit were dropped to 12 or 10 it would force everyone to think even more critically and I’d be on board with making those adjustments too.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Just now, BallerNate said:

I carried 15 this season since I was coming back to golf after 10+ years and upgrading my whole bag on the fly during the season. Just recently sold off my 56 SW to get down to 14 clubs. I prefer 14 because it forces you to think critically about what clubs you keep in the bag up top and at the bottom of the bag, and which clubs are most important and most useful to you. 

I agree that if the limit were dropped to 12 or 10 it would force everyone to think even more critically and I’d be on board with making those adjustments too.

Exactly.  14 isn't perfect for each golfer but it's close and that's what makes it a perfect limit.  It makes you think a bit about what to carry and makes each of the 14 fight for its spot in your bag.  Personally, if the limit changed to 12, I'd ditch my lob wedge and my 5w.  I'd miss the 5w.  Hit a par 5 green with it on Monday.  Beautiful shot.  I won't miss the lob wedge.  It's already on thin ice and might get kicked out.  

• Like 2

My preferred setup through to my wedges is:

Driver

3/4 wood

19/20° hybrid

23° hybrid

4- PW (24° - 47°) (seven irons)

Putter

That's 12 clubs which only leaves two slots left in the bag so I play 52/58° wedges. My preference would be to play 50/54/58 so 15 clubs would work for me.

I'm constantly thinking about how I can achieve this and the modern jacked lofts seems to work as long as the PW is still say 46°. There seem to be a few models that offer this option which is why I'm considering the Srixon ZX5/7 combo set.

5 - PW (24° - 46°) (six irons)

Having said all that I could bag 8-12 clubs and shoot approximately the same scores. 

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

23 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

This topic has probably been discussed often enough, but, I would like opinions of whether you would agree to upping the limit of clubs in the bag to 15? Why not, you still have to make the shot no matter how many club options you have? What are your thoughts on the subject, and would you like to see the limit go up by a one club? More than one club?

I'm indifferent... I think there needs to be a limit, and I'll carry as many clubs as I am allowed to... I could probably play 12 clubs and not have any real issues... I could probably play 10 clubs and it wouldn't cost me a full stoke. 

A 15th club wouldn't do anything great for me... I don't even know what I'd put in the bag... maybe a second shorter 12 degree driver.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I say move it to 12, just for the fun of it and bring back a little shotmaking.  That being said if the rules allowed I could see carrying up to 16, I would add a driving iron or hybrid and a 64* wedge.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I always though that 15 clubs would be a good idea. But sitting here, thinking about what would be the 15th club,  well when I decide I will let you know...

• Haha 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

18 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

No joke they were department store Northwesterns that had never been hit! I bought them all for five dollars. I still have them now with one round played haha. They were literally still in a box. 

Look like this:

Northwestern Iron Set Vintage Golf Clubs & Shafts for sale | eBay

As far as the my game goes etc I would say I'm a pretty capable near scratch golfer and that day I played smart. The 3 iron was a bullet off the tee on short holes, I actually hit the driver off the fairway a few times for fun. The 9 iron loft was probably 50 degrees so like a standard modern wedge. I chip with that loft the majority of the time as it is. I tried to hit to yardages I could control and I played short on my home course (safer) whenever I had doubts.

I shot a 72 lol. I actually think almost any sub 2-3 capper would do similar. It dumbed the game down for me. Literally the shot discussion in my head would be "hmmm a soft five or a hard 7 here into this green?" 

Northwestern! Ha ha, those were my first clubs!, used.  I paid $2 for them at a garage sale about 40 years ago. 

And then I was able to buy a brand spanking new set of Wilson X31 irons; I had arrived!

• Like 2

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I say 15 clubs works for me.  We should be able to carry an extra club to hit off of rocks and concrete.  Not everyone is a pro and can get new clubs for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

On 1/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, Feelingofgreatness said:

It would promote thinking & creativity, everyone could carry a Sunday bag and walk, the game would become more about shot making and the price of sets would go down. 

When I could still walk they didn't have push carts, which would have been great and why they didn't makes zero sense.  I have no doubt that the reason my back is in the shape it's in is too many rounds on hilly courses walking twisted while pulling a cart up and down those hills.  Truth is I wish I'd never walked a round in my life.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

On 1/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, Feelingofgreatness said:

When I could still walk they didn't have push carts, which would have been great and why they didn't makes zero sense.  I have no doubt that the reason my back is in the shape it's in is too many rounds on hilly courses walking twisted while pulling a cart up and down those hills.  Truth is I wish I'd never walked a round in my life.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy