Does the driver shaft follow your swing?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not incorrect exactly but not the best way to look at it.  Ideally, once you find a good fit for a combination of 1) playing length 2) shaft, and 3) head (swing) weight you should stick with it.  So a

Shaft always follows the swing. Loft/CG tweaks are done to the head if a performance change is needed. 

It's certainly a good starting point but the #1 thing to be aware of when switching heads is that the headweight is going to have a big impact on how the club feels and performs.   As an exa

It's certainly a good starting point but the #1 thing to be aware of when switching heads is that the headweight is going to have a big impact on how the club feels and performs.

As an example, Ping heads tend to be on the heavier side and Callaway tends to be light. So if you have a counter balanced shaft in your Ping and it feels great then it will feel completely different in the Callaway without adjusting the head weight and that will impact how you swing the club.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

It's certainly a good starting point but the #1 thing to be aware of when switching heads is that the headweight is going to have a big impact on how the club feels and performs.

As an example, Ping heads tend to be on the heavier side and Callaway tends to be light. So if you have a counter balanced shaft in your Ping and it feels great then it will feel completely different in the Callaway without adjusting the head weight and that will impact how you swing the club.

Not incorrect exactly but not the best way to look at it.  Ideally, once you find a good fit for a combination of 1) playing length 2) shaft, and 3) head (swing) weight you should stick with it.  So adjusting the head weight to stay the same (regardless of what the stock head weight might be) and continuing to use it with a shaft that's known to work well - is a significantly better approach than trying to adjust the shaft stiffness for different head weights.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3

I'll stick with shafts I was fit with (assuming they also work well in reality) in driver+FW Woods (same shaft) and irons.  After a few years, chances are the same make/model are no longer offered - so a new fitting will yield new standards.  As specs are all over the place, I try not to experiment and waste money...even if something is in the same class (ie bend point and profile)

Fun game.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I have one OG gamer that is the gold standard and I compare it to everything. It's the perfect weight and tipping for my swing/transition and best feel. However, that doesn't mean it produces the best ball speed or launch with each new Titleist offering. Absolutely nothing could knock it out of the TS3 but the new Tsi3 has much different launch, and subsequently, produced better numbers with a different offering. Having an "ole faithful" is never a bad thing but you have to be open minded that with each new club head offering comes new characteristics, launch, spin and ball speed. 

For the record, the OG gamer I'm referring to is a HZRDUS Black HandCrafted 60 gram 6.5 tipped 1" and a playing length at 44.5"

Titleist TSi3 (8*) w/ Ventus Black VeloCore 6x

Titleist TS3 (15*) w/ Ventus Blue VeloCore 8x

Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid (17*) w/ Ventus Blue VeloCore HB 9x

Titleist TS3 Hybrid (21*) w/ Atmos Black 9x

Titleist 718 AP2 5-GW w/ Modus3 120x

Titleist Vokey SM8 54M-58D

Toulon Garage San Diego

i'm always get fitting when im buying new stuff, and the clubmaker probably did something when i just changed the head from M3 to the Sim. Because it felt pretty similar when hitting the club. 

Now i see the orders coming in all over WRX with new stuff. Do i have the patient to wait late march to get fitted for the new stuff. 

I see now about the weigthing that i should wait. Even though i will use the same shaft most likely. But then i will get a more proper fitted head for my swing. 

Hate snow!!

I have 3 awesome driver shafts that follow me right now ... 

BLUEBOARD 53x (firmest, lowest flight, wicked in dry conditions) .. it a matte blue tour issue shaft FWIW

FUBUKI K 60 (longest and smoothest .. but loose at times)

GD AD XC 6x (straight all day, misses are barely in rough)

Same with fairways tbh (blueboard 73x and nvs 85x)

I stick with PING due to heavy heads and loyalty and durability plus I like the ability to change back weights

(I already have a second Fubuki K 60x with a 410tip on it waiting for the 425 driver)

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

Its bit more involved than just weight I believe.

While you can get the swing weight to be similar between two similarly weighted drivers...

Each driver head has different performance characteristics which also changes the way the shaft performs in that particular head.

The head design (MOI, CG location) has a bigger impact on the golf ball than the shaft, and simply switching to same shaft between drivers will not yield similar results.

Which is why matching driver shafts and 3w shaft doesnt really yield similar feel or meet performance expectations sometimes.

Having said all that...

Every driver these days are all similar in launch and spin.

Obviously you will see bigger gaps between two different driver designs (ie. Cally Sub Zero vs. Standard) but comparing Cally Sub Zero vs Titleist TSi3 for example tends to produce results within small margin of one another for most. Even smaller margin when you compare two generations of same driver (ie. G410 LST vs G425 LST).

Its a good starting point if you dont want to get properly fitted and need a good starting point for baseline. Just dont be surprised if you dont get the similar feel or performance after shaft swap.

Awesome shaft is the starting point for me with new driver, if numbers are good then we stick with it numbers not good we move on. 

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind 2 Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Hi-Toe Big Foot 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

It can be a good starting point, if head weight is simular. Shaft bend  profiles can change if head, grip, lengths are different.

Getting fit, should be the goal,  to get the most out of what your swing will do for your game 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

For me personally, I don't usually stick with the same shaft when I seek a new driver.  I like to tinker but usually stick with a driver I really like for 3 to 5 years.  During that gap, OEMs come out with new shafts with different material and profiles.  I tend to gravitate towards the latest tech in general including shafts.  However, I have found that very tip stiff low launch/spin shafts work best for my swing, so I almost always find I have to use an  8 to 9 degree head. 

TM SIM 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 hours ago, Gohigh said:

The head design (MOI, CG location) has a bigger impact on the golf ball than the shaft, and simply switching to same shaft between drivers will not yield similar results.

If the goal is to get similar results, why bother with getting a new head at all?

Sorry, I know, it's a sacrilegious thought here - but I couldn't resist. 🙂

Shaft always follows the swing. Loft/CG tweaks are done to the head if a performance change is needed. 

• Like 3

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Shaft follows swing as a starting point.  Though I have noticed, as others have mentioned, that the same shaft will not necessarily perform the same in different heads, even if you match swingweight exactly.  

I have a handful of shafts in the same weight class (60X or 60 Tour Stiff) and with similar profiles (Diamana DF and 'ahina, for example).  If I'm trying a new head, I'll start with whatever I have that's closest to what I'm currently gaming, and swap in different shafts if the current gamer doesn't feel like a match with that head.  

9 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

Shaft follows swing as a starting point.  Though I have noticed, as others have mentioned, that the same shaft will not necessarily perform the same in different heads, even if you match swingweight exactly.  

I have a handful of shafts in the same weight class (60X or 60 Tour Stiff) and with similar profiles (Diamana DF and 'ahina, for example).  If I'm trying a new head, I'll start with whatever I have that's closest to what I'm currently gaming, and swap in different shafts if the current gamer doesn't feel like a match with that head.  

Getting shaft to perform the same is not about matching swing weight.  It's a little more complicated than that.  It's about matching  the head weight (including adapter) and BBGM, and to some small extent playing length as well.  Or if there are any differences in some of those things, compensation in the form of slightly different tipping may be needed. 

Also, the term 'perform' in the context of a shaft is not a reference to launch numbers (e.g. launch angle and spin).  It's a reference to the amount of loading in the shaft and the feel of the shaft and the influence of the shaft on the swing itself.

8 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Getting shaft to perform the same is not about matching swing weight.  It's a little more complicated than that. 

Totally agree.  I don't expect to have an exact match to a given combination of head+shaft when I move to different head+same shaft.  But if we match swing weight, we are at least close to an apples-to-apples comparison.

And that was my point to OP.  Just because a given head+shaft works for you, does not mean that same shaft works in different head.  

You and I are in agreement on the context of my use of the word "perform" in my post above.  I was referencing the feel of the shaft, how it loads (and unloads), etc.

1 hour ago, hagimihale said:

Totally agree.  I don't expect to have an exact match to a given combination of head+shaft when I move to different head+same shaft.  But if we match swing weight, we are at least close to an apples-to-apples comparison.

And that was my point to OP.  Just because a given head+shaft works for you, does not mean that same shaft works in different head.  

You and I are in agreement on the context of my use of the word "perform" in my post above.  I was referencing the feel of the shaft, how it loads (and unloads), etc.

We're close but maybe a minor difference.  My main point was that it does not mean that it automatically will work in another head BUT if the build is done right, with knowledge and understanding of all the differences between the two heads, it generally can be made to work in any other head.

Edited by Stuart_G
3 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

if the build is done right, with knowledge and understanding of all the differences between the two heads, it generally can be made to work in any other head.

Completely agree with this.  But that requires the "knowledge and understanding" part that leads to a build done right.   I certainly don't possess that subject matter expertise.  I am assuming that OP does not either.  Which leads us back to the theory that taking a gamer shaft from one head, and plugging into another (without taking shaft and new head to a qualified fitter), will not necessarily replicate the conditions of the original head+shaft combination that makes it work for a given golfer.  But we mere mortals can come close... 🙂

8 hours ago, hagimihale said:

Completely agree with this.  But that requires the "knowledge and understanding" part that leads to a build done right.   I certainly don't possess that subject matter expertise.  I am assuming that OP does not either.  Which leads us back to the theory that taking a gamer shaft from one head, and plugging into another (without taking shaft and new head to a qualified fitter), will not necessarily replicate the conditions of the original head+shaft combination that makes it work for a given golfer.  But we mere mortals can come close... 🙂

Don't disagree.  But that's where the help here in the forum can make a big difference.  And trying to clear up the potential issues and expand people's knowledge before they do the swap can improve the chances of success.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:34 AM, Stuart_G said:

Not incorrect exactly but not the best way to look at it.  Ideally, once you find a good fit for a combination of 1) playing length 2) shaft, and 3) head (swing) weight you should stick with it.  So adjusting the head weight to stay the same (regardless of what the stock head weight might be) and continuing to use it with a shaft that's known to work well - is a significantly better approach than trying to adjust the shaft stiffness for different head weights.

This is exactly correct!! If a shaft fits your swing, all you have to do is dial in the weighting and your good to go. Also, shafts with very similar profiles and balance will be mostly interchangable for you as well. I know the big thing these days is exotic materials, but if the profile, torque and weighting fit your swing, it doesn't matter what the materials are.

BT

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize