10 hours ago, glk said:

Definite progress.   

somethings to consider - do the butt of club in the stomach drill in one of the Instagram I posted - does multiple good things - keeps clubhead outside hands, synch pivot and arms, gets you into position to hingethe club up and stand it up, gets you to keep right arm straight longer and right arm on top of left in takeaway.

some other drills to consider are here - don’t need a planemate to do these - they are really good drills to also build a good foundation off of.

https://www.tourstriker.com/planemate/

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the drill links. From the video I seem to be still taking the club to far inside on my takeaway. Would you agree? The butt of the club to belly drill looks like a great way to work on that.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just found the same drill, and I'm going to start working it.    I personally think that this (posted in the ground forces thread by someone, I don't recall who) is a much better explanati

Idea is the momentum of your pivot causes the fall to your left foot by top of backswing  - and from there it is rotation.   drill without club.  https://www.instagram.com/p/B5XDRQxluQl/

Day 3 following Monte's NTC and I took @TheDeanAbides and @glkadvice and worked only on the 7 o'clock position of the no turn by making half swings from there. Focused on getting the proper wrist set/

Posted Images

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That's so much better. If you're still longer than 7 o'clock you have to feel like the backswing ends almost immediately to stop it at left arm parallel. If you get this then all that you need to do to get to the top is turn your shoulders a little more. That's it! 

Also love that you're getting your left shoulder down too. 

Yeah, I could feel myself getting past 7 o'clock pretty much every time. Just such an odd feeling stopping at 7, but at least I'm feeling it!! I was able to get there comfortably as I continued to work on the drill, so it's happening.

In reference to my left shoulder, your referring to it pointing more towards the ball at the top of my swing versus out away from the ball, correct? Very similar to how I improved where the butt end of the club was pointing? Thing is, it's not something I thought about AT ALL. Just getting to the positions in the NTC forces, or as Monte says, causes the body to react and move/get to where it needs to be. Very encouraging!! 

16 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the drill links. From the video I seem to be still taking the club to far inside on my takeaway. Would you agree? The butt of the club to belly drill looks like a great way to work on that.

Maybe a bit.     More that the club head isn’t staying outside the hands.   But the butt of club drill is great for working on that.  Other thing was not over bending the right arm early - cuts of rotation when that is done.

some good info - 

• Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

1 minute ago, glk said:

Maybe a bit.     More that the club head isn’t staying outside the hands.   But the butt of club drill is great for working on that.  Other thing was not over bending the right arm early - cuts of rotation when that is done.

some good info - 

Makes sense. Seems to me one would fix the other? Taking the head inside the hands too early would cause the early bend in the right arm. Avoiding either should fix the other, at least in my mind.

20 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Makes sense. Seems to me one would fix the other? Taking the head inside the hands too early would cause the early bend in the right arm. Avoiding either should fix the other, at least in my mind.

Yep.    As iteach explained to me in a lesson in golf you want to have the momentum developed in the swing work for you - this involves keeping the club head (actually com but hey) outside your hands in takeaway and inline with them thru the rest of the backswing then in transition the opposite happens - the com gets behind and below the hand path - a steep to shallow pattern and also what the NTC is about.      

depending on how much of a golf geek you are this video gets at the kinetics.

• Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

1 hour ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Yeah, I could feel myself getting past 7 o'clock pretty much every time. Just such an odd feeling stopping at 7, but at least I'm feeling it!! I was able to get there comfortably as I continued to work on the drill, so it's happening.

In reference to my left shoulder, your referring to it pointing more towards the ball at the top of my swing versus out away from the ball, correct? Very similar to how I improved where the butt end of the club was pointing? Thing is, it's not something I thought about AT ALL. Just getting to the positions in the NTC forces, or as Monte says, causes the body to react and move/get to where it needs to be. Very encouraging!! 

If it's happening as a result of doing the first part of the swing then that's PERFECT. Keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

Adding:  I see you are indoors like a lot of us.  I know you are trying to clean up the takeaway, but a lot of good golfers develop bad habits playing indoors.  

Whatever you do, I don't want you to lose sight of your most obvious and valuable asset:  The ability to generate high hands and high clubhead with a full swing.  Keep at the practice, but make sure you don't start doing stupid stuff like tucking your trail arm tight against your body or other compensating moves made out of fear of hitting the ceiling or a side wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, games said:

Adding:  I see you are indoors like a lot of us.  I know you are trying to clean up the takeaway, but a lot of good golfers develop bad habits playing indoors.  

Whatever you do, I don't want you to lose sight of your most obvious and valuable asset:  The ability to generate high hands and high clubhead with a full swing.  Keep at the practice, but make sure you don't start doing stupid stuff like tucking your trail arm tight against your body or other compensating moves made out of fear of hitting the ceiling or a side wall.

Thanks for the tips, makes sense.

Day 4 - I continued to work on the 7 o'clock position doing half swings as before. This is starting to feel really comfortable and natural. I also worked on the drill (butt of club) that @glk recommended. I can see how this drill forces your hands into the correct plane on the way back, and I could feel the slight difference it was creating. After hitting quite a few half shots from the 7 o'clock position, I started working on going from 7 to 8. This was a little awkward, as I wanted to continue my old habit of swinging my arms back and up into the backswing and getting too long. I need to continue working on the move from 7 to 8. When I do it as two separate moves, all is good. But when I put them together it gets sloppy. To be expected, just something I need to continue to work on. After watching videos of myself making full 75% swings, I feel like I'm using my arms too much in the backswing which leads to the issues I just described. It looks like I get my arms around too much instead of the good position from the video yesterday doing half swings. I feel like I need to focus on just my hands. Getting my wrist hinged early, hands to 7 then hands to 8. Instead of thinking rotating to 8. If I focus on just the hands, the body will react and do the rest. This will be my focus this evening.

Another thing I've noticed is I hit the ball, even though it's just foam balls inside, much better when I play it further up in my stance. I'd say an inch or two forward of my sternum, even though from here it feels like I'm playing it outside my left foot!! Something I need to just get comfortable with.

In the videos below, you can see the issues I'm talking about above. Going to try to focus on just getting my hands/wrists to where they need to be this evening and see if that doesn't lead to some improvements. My extension on follow through still sucks, and the look of it really bothers me. But I'll address that further down the line. Some positives are that my lead wrist is staying flat at the top and I'm not EE much, if at all anymore. Also, even with all the issues, full swings are starting to feel "right". I've never felt comfortable swinging a golf club and I'm already getting past that in just a few days.  

This is why it's important to carry on doing one part until you really have it down - it can't be done in a couple of days. In this screenshot I've taken you can see that pushing on to 8 has seen you lose the 7 position you had before - you've slipped back into your old habit of getting too deep and flat. 

7.png

Edited by TheDeanAbides
3 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This is why it's important to carry on doing one part until you really have it down - it can't be done in a couple of days. In this screenshot I've taken you can see that pushing on to 8 has seen you lose the 7 position you had before - you've slipped back into your old habit of getting too deep and flat. 

7.png

Yep, you're exactly right. I got the same analysis from watching myself on video. I wanted to video some full swings getting to 8 to see where I was and what I needed to work on, not so much that I was ready to move forward too soon. It helped me realize I need to do the things I described above to get into those good positions, so at least I'm now seeing what I'm doing and what I need to do to get to where I should be. I'm able to get to 7 then 8 when doing them slowly/methodically. But putting them together got sloppy. Videoing it helped me see where/when/what I needed to work on.  Plan moving forward is to continue working on the half swings at 7 and then getting comfortable/correct from 7 to 8. Appreciate you keeping me on track!! 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Yep, you're exactly right. I got the same analysis from watching myself on video. I wanted to video some full swings getting to 8 to see where I was and what I needed to work on, not so much that I was ready to move forward too soon. It helped me realize I need to do the things I described above to get into those good positions, so at least I'm now seeing what I'm doing and what I need to do to get to where I should be. I'm able to get to 7 then 8 when doing them slowly/methodically. But putting them together got sloppy. Videoing it helped me see where/when/what I needed to work on.  Plan moving forward is to continue working on the half swings at 7 and then getting comfortable/correct from 7 to 8. Appreciate you keeping me on track!! 

You're doing great and have the perfect attitude. Well done! 

• Like 1

Something to consider.   The reality is when we train motion it is our brain that has to  make the new pattern.    A lot of what I’ve learned says that changing motion can be accelerated by variety - don’t do the same thing over and over - and actually do it wrong!   Example.  Do a takeaway with arms working too much away from the body, do it with them too inside, then try one just right.    Slow is also important too.   But so is doing different drills for the same motion - why I dumped a number of different drills - so a session can be doing two or three different drills  addressing the same motion in the Goldilocks method I mentioned above.    And frequency and duration of sessions.    Better to do short focused sessions than one long - now practice can be long but should not be all one thing - example when I go to practice I usually start with 15 minutes putting, then go to short game area for some time then to the range and maybe back to putting.  So in  The course of 90 minutes I give my brain time to forget my putting then later go back to it etc.   same applies to actually doing drills - take time in between - in the game we go minutes between shots and no two are the same back to back.     You can judge how well the new pattern is developing by how readily you do the new motion after you step away and do something else - rake and hit really works against progress.

Now if this was math I’d never tell you to do it wrong but motion is something where we can advance learning by intentionally doing it wrong.

• Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

15 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Remember that all that's required after 7 is a small turn of the shoulders. 

It's also well worth watching the NTC Q&A at the end of the free fundamentals series on Monte's site. Loads of good stuff in that. 

Thanks, I'll check those out. I did finally watch one of the lessons from the NTC series and got some good insight from it. I'll have to watch the rest as well.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, glk said:

Something to consider.   The reality is when we train motion it is our brain that has to  make the new pattern.    A lot of what I’ve learned says that changing motion can be accelerated by variety - don’t do the same thing over and over - and actually do it wrong!   Example.  Do a takeaway with arms working too much away from the body, do it with them too inside, then try one just right.    Slow is also important too.   But so is doing different drills for the same motion - why I dumped a number of different drills - so a session can be doing two or three different drills  addressing the same motion in the Goldilocks method I mentioned above.    And frequency and duration of sessions.    Better to do short focused sessions than one long - now practice can be long but should not be all one thing - example when I go to practice I usually start with 15 minutes putting, then go to short game area for some time then to the range and maybe back to putting.  So in  The course of 90 minutes I give my brain time to forget my putting then later go back to it etc.   same applies to actually doing drills - take time in between - in the game we go minutes between shots and no two are the same back to back.     You can judge how well the new pattern is developing by how readily you do the new motion after you step away and do something else - rake and hit really works against progress.

Now if this was math I’d never tell you to do it wrong but motion is something where we can advance learning by intentionally doing it wrong.

Thanks. Makes sense. Appreciate the advice!!

22 minutes ago, glk said:

This is great advice. I found that training the 7 position with different clubs helped. I thought of it as short game training so also played around with 1/4 swings too. That made it more interesting and like I was adding golf shots rather than training positions. 

• Like 2

Continued working on half shots getting to 7 on Friday evening. This is really starting to feel comfortable/normal at this point. Hit on a simulator for the first time on Saturday. Not sure I would call it productive, but it was fun to do. I wanted to check out the place and the owner, as I plan to have this guy do an iron fitting for me in a couple of weeks. I was impressed with him and his facility, so I will be getting that setup in the next month or two. Definitely felt myself getting into my old habits on the simulator. But it was encouraging to feel that I was doing things wrong. Results were less than encouraging, however I had to remind myself that I'm only a week or so into a complete swing rebuild, which brought me back to reality. Didn't get any video there as I didn't want to fart around burning up time messing with my phone. 

Saturday and Sunday evening I again spent time just working on getting to 7 with proper wrist hinge and hitting half shots from there. Also started working to going from 7 to 8. This is starting to feel good as well. Focused on the problems I was having last week and breaking the old habits getting to 8. Felt good and video of full swings from here look MUCH better than last week. I didn't mess with any of the casts at this point, just wanted to feel getting to 8 correctly during a full swing and confirming that my backswing was were it needed to be. Feels/looks like things are getting there. This week I'll start working on the drills that Monte shows to start working on cast A.

Pretty happy with my progress thus far. In the attached pictures, I'm comparing last nights full swings from 8 o'clock (picture on the left) to my previous full swings and attempts at working from 8.

Here you can see I've shortened my backswing a good bit. I'm no longer over rotating at the top trying to get a big backswing. I felt like I was doing the same on the simulator. I know it's fairly subjective and I have nothing for comparison, but I was getting 150+mph ball speed with the driver and 110-115 mph ball speed with my 7 iron. I took nothing from this other than the fact that getting to 8, letting my hand/arms work, body react and not having a big giant back swing while trying to swing out of my shoes didn't cause me to have a really slow swing. In actuality if I had something to compare it to it would probably be the opposite. It also felt WAY easier swinging this way compared to what I felt like was overswinging before. 

20210117_201821-COLLAGE.jpg.446695189adf88cec5203cc0c4ff1ee4.jpg

Here you can see how much better my wrist hinge is at 7 o'clock (this is a still from a full swing working on getting to 8). There is still room for improvement here, but previously I had ZERO hinge at the point in the backswing. I also look to be overrating in the picture on the right. I'm almost completely rotated at the shoulders only halfway into my backswing. I'm assuming this is from the way I used to bring my hands so far behind me. Hands are in a much better position in the left picture. I have to conclude that my long backswing and over rotation had my hands and club playing catchup through the entire downswing. Most likely resulting in my horrible EE. So far as evidenced in the videos from last night, this seems to have resolved itself nicely. And not something I've been focusing on or even thinking about at all.

20210117_202007-COLLAGE.jpg.e9166638d82863bd1ee6d2779f30e3f1.jpg

This is a still comparing a full swing from 8, with the one on the left being from last night and the one on the right being from just 3 days ago. @TheDeanAbides really highlighted how I was getting back into my old habit of bringing my hands and club way behind me in the video from last week when I first started working on 8 o'clock. Things look much better here. Monte says to focus on having the butt of the club pointing at the ball or slightly inside the ball at this point. So I still might be getting my hands behind a bit. Encouraging progress none the less.

20210117_202040-COLLAGE.jpg.05680ba0a2394703a105556395e7624c.jpg

Videos from last night of full swings just working on getting to 8 properly.

Edited by BigTerp1524
Imbedded videos missing
28 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That's definitely getting there. Watch that first move off the ball. Can you see that it's a little outside? Other than the things you've noticed yourself, it's pretty good and once you work in cast a you'll shallow out that transition. Great work!

Thanks!! Yes, I see it now that you pointed it out. Something to keep my eye on. It's been tough getting out of the habit of using my arms and shoulders to initiate the takeaway. Really trying to focus on using my hands and just getting my wrist hinged to the 7 o'clock position. The drill you suggested last week has really helped!!

Good point on the transition. I didn't even notice that I was so steep coming back down. Wasn't focusing on that either. But makes sense that cast A will shallow that out. I feel like getting from 8 through cast A will be the most awkward part for me. It all makes total sense though. Will just have to work through it slowly until it gets comfortable. I saw a few drills Monte had his students in the video series do for cast A that I'll work on.

Edited by BigTerp1524

I like the photo in red shirt turn much more than the other.      Wrist set no but turn yes.   Right arm needs to stay straighter longer.

Xander and Ben Lein - big turns and trail arm staying “straightish” much longer.
5A7DE436-B862-4EA7-9FB5-4E51B63CAC6D.jpeg.65c3805ce5ce780a48416d6a52df9d65.jpeg

06BD6B1A-7B8D-4CAB-824F-246C6EFA6AA6.jpeg.3e87afab3219e6adc5102c812642154b.jpeg

Yourself already too bent and result not turned enough - right arm folding too much too early cuts off rotation - reduces width.   Xander may be at the extreme end but think you need to be somewhere between these two players.  I know so many little things.   Iteach straight arm drill or use a small ball between forearms are two good drills/ aids.    1% better everyday day.

66B372C6-2B1C-457E-9C38-1F52E509CE1F.jpeg.3bf1a1b066f1054404b33e56e74d4322.jpegDABB9BEC-C941-4EA3-BD4E-4CB017964620.jpeg.a4e8e563f9d64fd92f5beba0af551b32.jpeg

Edited by glk
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

6 minutes ago, glk said:

I like the photo in red shirt turn much more than the other.      Wrist set no but turn yes.   Right arm needs to stay straighter longer.

Xander and Ben Lein - big turns and trail arm staying “straightish” much longer.
5A7DE436-B862-4EA7-9FB5-4E51B63CAC6D.jpeg.65c3805ce5ce780a48416d6a52df9d65.jpeg

06BD6B1A-7B8D-4CAB-824F-246C6EFA6AA6.jpeg.3e87afab3219e6adc5102c812642154b.jpeg

Yourself already too bent and result not turned enough - right arm folding too much too early cuts off rotation - reduces width.   Xander may be at the extreme end but think you need to be somewhere between these two players.  I know so many little things.   Iteach straight arm drill or use a small ball between forearms are two good drills/ aids.    1% better everyday day.

66B372C6-2B1C-457E-9C38-1F52E509CE1F.jpeg.3bf1a1b066f1054404b33e56e74d4322.jpegDABB9BEC-C941-4EA3-BD4E-4CB017964620.jpeg.a4e8e563f9d64fd92f5beba0af551b32.jpeg

He's following Monte's NTC, which makes the position he's getting into now almost ideal. It's just confusing to talk about different teachers that don't agree. 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks!! Yes, I see it now that you pointed it out. Something to keep my eye on. It's been tough getting out of the habit of using my arms and shoulders to initiate the takeaway. Really trying to focus on using my hands and just getting my wrist hinged to the 7 o'clock position. The drill you suggested last week has really helped!!

Good point on the transition. I didn't even notice that I was so steep coming back down. Wasn't focusing on that either. But makes sense that cast A will shallow that out. I feel like getting from 8 through cast A will be the most awkward part for me. It all makes total sense though. Will just have to work through it slowly until it gets comfortable. I saw a few drills Monte had his students in the video series do for cast A that I'll work on.

Don't worry about the transition yet though. One thing at a time. 

Also if other well meaning folk offer thoughts or advice be sure to check out if they're making suggestions in line with the process you're using (NTC) or you're going to end up with conflicting ideas. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

He's following Monte's NTC, which makes the position he's getting into now almost ideal. It's just confusing to talk about different teachers that don't agree. 

Huh?   Nothing about NTC says bend right elbow early.  He is not in an ideal position.   Believe teacher agree on trail arm importance in getting width and not bending it too early or too much.

• Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

1 minute ago, glk said:

Huh?   Nothing about NTC says bend right elbow early.  He is not in an ideal position.   Believe teacher agree on trail arm importance in getting width and not bending it too early or too much.

The left arm parallel position that you've posted is miles away from what Monte teaches. It's impossible to be in that position if you're setting your wrists straight off the ball. 

This still is straight from the NTC series. Monte says, "You're just gonna get to this spot here". 

monte.png

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The left arm parallel position that you've posted is miles away from what Monte teaches. It's impossible to be in that position if you're setting your wrists straight off the ball. 

This still is straight from the NTC series. Monte says, "You're just gonna get to this spot here". 

monte.png

Monte 

6394E98D-E1EE-4BF7-9E40-DAC59895BD8D.jpeg.5bf63dbda5ad5babad4ce74a8ed938e9.jpeg

8430A944-3C23-4F2D-8153-4F7F1165F224.jpeg.b110650c648718c44eaf4b373073211e.jpeg

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

14 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Don't worry about the transition yet though. One thing at a time. 

Also if other well meaning folk offer thoughts or advice be sure to check out if they're making suggestions in line with the process you're using (NTC) or you're going to end up with conflicting ideas. 

Thanks!! Plan is to continue working on getting to 7 and 8 o'clock and getting real comfortable there. Looking for more drills for this to mix things up.

Will start incorporating cast A slowly, but just enough to start getting comfortable with the movement. I saw Monte doing a drill with a student where they went from address, to 7, pause, to 8, pause then doing the cast move with another pause and swinging from there. Seems like a good way to start incorporating cast A, while still making sure 7 and 8 o'clock are still consistent. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks!! Plan is to continue working on getting to 7 and 8 o'clock and getting real comfortable there. Looking for more drills for this to mix things up.

Will start incorporating cast A slowly, but just enough to start getting comfortable with the movement. I saw Monte doing a drill with a student where they went from address, to 7, pause, to 8, pause then doing the cast move with another pause and swinging from there. Seems like a good way to start incorporating cast A, while still making sure 7 and 8 o'clock are still consistent. 

Perfect.

• Like 1