BigTerp's swing journey

BigTerp1524

4 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks for this!! Should I be trying to get a bit more shoulder rotation here? Been really focusing on my getting my hands where they need to be and letting the body react. Perhaps I'm holding myself back a bit and not getting enough rotation?

Yes.   Everything rotates starting In takeaway - as said right arm bending too early will shut down rotation.  Arms and pivot need to be in synch right from the start.   That butt of club in stomach works this as well as iteach’s straight arms with early wrist set drill.   Both work when doing short swings and get body and arms working together.  Nothing counter to NTC.   

Here is an example just doing drill without a club - arms stay straight body has to turn - with a club arm will fold 

615B9F6D-9624-4CB5-959D-F5D9F7BA636C.jpeg.187b44bdb0c4869031e86b6d41a6e0e6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

So far my routine has been working in my rec room for 30-45 minutes each evening on drills and hitting foam balls into my kids trampoline net. This works well as I can see if I'm pushing/pulling/topping/chunking the ball, although I cannot see ball flight. Plenty of feedback for myself at this point in my swing rebuild. Things are definitely getting more consistent in some aspects, and all over in others. To be expected and not at all discouraging at this point. I kind of refocused over the weekend and am no longer bothered by the ones I top under the freezer or the one I hit 45 degrees to the right that ricochets off two walls, the tv and lands in the kids toy box. But what I do get from that is the why. Big difference for me mentally there and encouraging that I'm really starting to understand what I'm doing right/wrong that causes the end result. Also really trying to just focus on getting comfortable with each part of the NTC swing. And it's definitely getting there.

Last night I spend my time again on half shots from 7 and getting from 7 to 8. Really focusing on my initial takeaway (in regards to club head path), getting my hands where they needed to be, proper wrist set/hinge and not being as flat at 7 and 8 o'clock as @TheDeanAbides pointed out yesterday. This all went very well, and I'm getting pretty comfortable up to this point in the swing. This is something I'll continue to work on to help really get it engrained as I progress.

I spent the last half of my practice time working on the transition. Monte says the first part of the transition is a weight shift to the front foot. In theory, this did not make sense to me. I'm used to staying back, firing hips, etc., etc. @TheDeanAbides simplified this for me by saying it's similar to a throwing a ball and how your weight transfers to your lead foot before your throwing arm begins coming through. THIS made sense. Did a few practice swings and realized this pretty much naturally happens for me. Perfect!! The next thing I did was start working on cast A. I went from address, to 7, to 8 then cast A with a nice pause at each. Did this several times to get a feel for it. Then started hitting some shots after going straight to 8, pause, cast A then swing. Pretty awkward, but man does it put the club head perfectly on the ball, EVERY TIME!! Tried to put this all together with a few swings, which did not go well. But to be expected. I anticipate this to be the most difficult part for me. Putting together the transition (8, weight transfer, staying closed, start of downswing, cast A) is, to me, what really gets things working. It's a lot of stuff happening in an extremely short amount of time. So I just need to continue sticking with it and I know it'll eventually come together.

Plan moving forward is to continue solidifying my takeaway and getting to the the 7 and 8 o'clock positions properly. Also going to slowly start incorporating the parts of the transition. I still have a WAYS to go, but I can feel things starting to come together. 

• Like 1

Day 11 working on the NTC. I've spent the better part of this week continuing to work on getting to 7 and 8 properly concentration on my takeaway (in regards to club head path), proper wrist set/hinge, and being less flat at the top. This is becoming pretty engrained at this point and feeling really comfortable. I need to video some full swings just to make sure things aren't falling apart and that I'm not slipping back into old habits getting to 8. I've also started working on cast A. Mostly by doing a drill of getting to 8 > pause > cast A > pause > swing. This is a weird and awkward feeling, especially at first, but it's getting much more comfortable. I know I won't really feel cast A or consciously doing it in a full swing since after the backswing things happen so fast. This is more to get the feel for the transition. In that respect it seems to be paying off. Full swings are getting more comfortable as well. I do notice that I'm pushing my shot pretty good to the right when doing full swings thinking about cast A. I'm thinking it's from overemphasizing the cast causing me to come too much in to out, but not really sure. Not too concerned with this, however, as I realize I still have a ways to go to get this part of the swing dialed in. I'm feeling pretty confident with everything up to 8 o'clock. Just need to keep working on the transition and cast A and I know things will really start coming together.

I'm planning on doing an iron fitting the first part of March. I plan to replace my whole bag this spring, minus my driver. Looking forward to having a properly fitted set of clubs with a swing that is, hopefully, fairly consistent.

Here's me working on the cast A drill last night.

I'm still having at it. The last few evenings have been a continuation of drilling the 7 and 8 o'clock positions and getting comfortable with cast A and the transition. I seem to say this everyday, but things are really starting to feel good/comfortable. My full swings are feeling consistent. I haven't videoed myself in a few days because #1 I end up spending too much time farting around analyzing the video, and #2 I wanted to give myself a few days on drilling/practicing since things are feeling good before I video and analyze again. Just to get some confidence that HOPEFULLY what I'm feeling is true. Anticipating there will still be issues when I watch myself, but hopefully they'll just be some things I need to tweak compared to major overhauls as before. One thing I'm noticing is that I'm not pushing my shots to the right nearly as much as before. I'm guessing this is from my cast A getting better. Plan on videoing/analyzing this evening or next, so we will see!! 

• Like 1

Day 15 working on the NTC. Things are still going well, IMO. I'm really starting to feel like I'm building a comfortable and consistent swing. Videoed a few full swings last night for analysis. I'm trying to focus on cast A and the transition. It's hard to tell by video if I'm doing cast A correctly, but to my eyes it does look like I'm shallowing the club much better than before on the downswing (which should mean I'm performing cast A at least a bit). Still much room for improvement there, but at least I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

One negative that really jumped out at me, is I'm still a bit flat at the top as @TheDeanAbides pointed out last week. In the picture below, you can see it's getting a bit better (right picture is last night, left is last week). But at left arm parallel, the butt of my club is still pointing out past the ball. I definitely had the old habit of coming way behind myself in the backswing. Maybe this still needs working on? What should I focus on to get the club steeper in the backswing? I feel like it will help with my transition, cast A and getting the club shallowed out on the downswing if I can get it to where it needs to be in the backswing. It's getting there though, just something I need to be conscious of and keep working on.

20210125_200939-COLLAGE.jpg.d452978a72023469ebbf05dddc8cf6f3.jpg

A few slow-mo and full speed videos from last night. 

One  thing.   Better pressure shift via recentering.   

right now you don’t appear to shift left during end of backswing.   So you start turning in downswing without giving arms a chance to get down and link up with body - result is arms come out early with shoulders turning and shaft is steep - the recentering is important to getting the cast a to work.

there will be time to refine other things- setup, takeaway, backswing, . . .  But to me the glaring thing is the lack of a shift, rotate, shift, rotate in the recentering - you rotate, rotate with the shift blended in.

like throwing a football

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYGhArFN1O/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

give yourself some reward your work is definitely paying off.

• Thanks 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

10 minutes ago, glk said:

One  thing.   Better pressure shift via recentering.   

right now you don’t appear to shift left during end of backswing.   So you start turning in downswing without giving arms a chance to get down and link up with body - result is arms come out early with shoulders turning and shaft is steep - the recentering is important to getting the cast a to work.

there will be time to refine other things- setup, takeaway, backswing, . . .  But to me the glaring thing is the lack of a shift, rotate, shift, rotate in the recentering - you rotate, rotate with the shift blended in.

like throwing a football

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYGhArFN1O/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

give yourself some reward your work is definitely paying off.

Thanks!! I believe this makes sense. Basically, you're saying I'm staying back to much at the end of my backswing/transition to downswing? I'm too "armsy" in that my arms are getting ahead of my body because I'm not shifting back left before rotation? I do notice, when watching myself on video, that I'm rather "static" in my downswing. As out of whack as my old swing was, I always felt it looked way more athletic than what I'm doing now.

I'll check out the videos and work on this tonight. Thanks for the links!!

Didn't have much time yesterday evening, but was still able to spend a few minutes working on the shift/rotate at the beginning of the transition. The little tips both @glk and @TheDeanAbides really helped out. @TheDeanAbides was absolutely correct in that I glossed over this part too quickly. Not sure how I got ahead of myself there, but I appreciate you guys pointing it out!! I hit maybe 5 or 6 balls to get a feel for it, which is actually a very natural feel, especially for me being a former pitcher. Then quickly videod myself to see how it looked. Much better IMO, but I may be over exaggerating the shift a bit? Something to keep working on, but I could definitely feel the difference and how this kept my hands from getting ahead and allowed them time to get "into the slot" so to speak. Getting them there is a different story, but at least moving forward I will be giving them a chance to get there.

Don't see much of a change - not surprising though - need to really exaggerate this move to get a sense of it - go Kyle Berkshire on it (actually what Kyle does is a great move and something to build into a swing for a more dynamic motion - just not to the degree that Kyle does it on his long drive swing).      Intent is to get the upper right side of your body - waist to shoulder - to go up and back and this will get you doing a lateral shift right and then as you rotate your momentum will get you to naturally fall left by the top -  it is much more dynamic than "turning in place" - folks I see doing this typically don't drop their head much at all and even increase their height a bit in the backswing before it drops in the downswing - the intent is to throw your right shoulder up and back and around as high as you can  (helps to start by swinging your arms to the left to gain some momentum in drills) - you're going to straighten the right leg some and the motion will pull the left heel off the ground and get you on your left ball of foot.

Berkshire - tab to see it in slow mo.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWPssohnvS/   Here is a controlled version of the move - https://www.instagram.com/p/CJdl6fICtch/  - can see how he moves a bit laterally, maintains head height, etc - it's is not a big shift maybe an inch or so right then 3-4 back to the left but it can feel like a mile if you have just rotated in place.     Move is going to be most notable with driver and less so as you go into the shorter clubs.      Berkshires version is a great as an exaggeration drill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

1 minute ago, glk said:

Don't see much of a change - not surprising though - need to really exaggerate this move to get a sense of it - go Kyle Berkshire on it (actually what Kyle does is a great move and something to build into a swing for a more dynamic motion - just not to the degree that Kyle does it on his long drive swing).      Intent is to get the upper right side of your body - waist to shoulder - to go up and back and this will get you doing a lateral shift right and then as you rotate your momentum will get you to naturally fall left by the top -  it is much more dynamic than "turning in place" - folks I see doing this typically don't drop their head much at all and even increase their height a bit in the backswing before it drops in the downswing - the intent is to throw your right shoulder up and back and around as high as you can  (helps to start by swinging your arms to the left to gain some momentum in drills) - you're going to straighten the right leg some and the motion will pull the left heel off the ground and get you on your left ball of foot.

Berkshire - tab to see it in slow mo.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWPssohnvS/   Here is a controlled version of the move - https://www.instagram.com/p/CJdl6fICtch/  - can see how he moves a bit laterally, maintains head height, etc - it's is not a big shift maybe an inch or so right then 3-4 back to the left but it can feel like a mile if you have just rotated in place.     Move is going to be most notable with driver and less so as you go into the shorter clubs.      Berkshires version is a great as an exaggeration drill. 

This. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Oh man, I could really feel a difference in weight shift last night. But I think I understand what you guys are saying. I need to focus more on the lateral shift left and right versus just a weight shift between the legs?

More on making it a dynamic motion - tap into your past in pitching - make some throwing motions and note how you shift pressure and move laterally (or rewatch that Casabella clip I posted where he likens it to throwing a football) -  tap the intent of making a throw and need to do golf's version of a wind up, etc.   You wouldn't make a throw and just pivot in place (guess you could but it certainly wouldn't provide much speed)  - same thing in golf - just different since we're bent over and have both hands on the club.       

Edited by glk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

2 minutes ago, glk said:

More on making it a dynamic motion - tap into your past in pitching - make some throwing motions and note how you shift pressure and move laterally (or rewatch that Casabella clip I posted where he likens it to throwing a football) - I've started to tape the intent that I'm making a throw and need to do golf's version of a wind up, etc.   You wouldn't make a throw and just pivot in place (guess you could but it certainly wouldn't provide much speed)  - same thing in golf - just different since we're bent over and have both hands on the club.       

Makes sense. Appreciate the help. I'll work on it!!

I think my issue was I was focusing SO much on the positions of the NTC that everything else got static. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify it easily.

Edited by BigTerp1524
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

I think my issue was I was focusing SO much on the positions of the NTC that everything else got static. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify it easily.

Understand.   Lots of moving parts involved.    Been guilt myself - and hopefully can catch it if I fall back

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

45 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

It helps to work on the transition move alone. You don't even need a club - just put your arms across your chest or pretend you're throwing a ball from your golf stance. 

• Thanks 1

Spent some time last night working on the shift/rotate/shift/rotate as @glk described. The links @glk provided yesterday helped a lot for me to see what I wasn't doing and needed to do. Also, @TheDeanAbides suggestion of getting the feeling of throwing a ball while in my golf stance helped. It's weird, throwing a ball is such a natural thing for me and there is NO way I could do it without the weight transfer and shift that happens. But then in my golf swing it's quite the opposite, feels really weird/wrong to be shifting like that. But to be expected. What really helped me was to focus on getting my weight shifted over my right leg in the back swing. This forces the shift to the right. Then from there the shift back left almost happens on it's own. It looks rather sloppy, and I've still got a LOT of work to do to get it comfortable and correct, but I believe I'm at least on the right track now.

Idea is the momentum of your pivot causes the fall to your left foot by top of backswing  - and from there it is rotation.

drill without club.  https://www.instagram.com/p/B5XDRQxluQl/

with a club would be good to incorporate a forward swing and foot motion - see 2nd tab  cause first and third tab are original swing and end swing with drill in 2nd tab.   Can do it with less than driver and shorter swings to start.     Kwon has other drills in his insagram but you need to watch his videos of folks swinging and see the tabs.   Lots of variation but this one is a good place to start.   https://www.instagram.com/p/B7UIBc9FTui/

Edited by glk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

18 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks @glk. I'll check those out.

It's a very odd and unnatural feeling so far. Definitely need to keep working on it. It's honestly been the most awkward part of this for me, for whatever reason.

Yes.    The load into the right side at the top then fire it all in the downswing is a pattern lots of us have first done and was taught so working this shift, etc pattern is quite different.    And people avoided to not “sway”.  

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

17 hours ago, games said:

Same here @glk  

This is instructional gold that I've never heard before:

"Momentum of your pivot causes the fall to your left foot by top of backswing  - and from there it is rotation."

yeah, everything on the lead side is getting lower than the trail, and moving the pressure early causes the lead leg to lighten, so rather than "force" a shift can let the end of the backswing from p3 to p4 result in a fall - have to have  a full turn of the ribcage - intents like trail shoulder over lead foot is a good thought - if I'm focusing on feels for this I also like to sense the motion when I think I'm at lead arm parallel.

A nice drill - wide stance like for driver lets you get a bit up on the toe so can feel the fall.    can use club or just swing arm.   can see how his trail shoulder just peeks out a bit a the top and after the fall his shoulder has started to rotate toward the downswing before he stops.

Edited by glk
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified