2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

BigTerp's swing journey

BigTerp1524

I cant help but wonder if the height of your room is really fighting against your work - it's almost like the room height is acting as a constraint based drill, like swinging under the noodle, in itself. It might be worthwhile to do some half swings getting some extension? maybe not this exactly, but a similar concept? https://www.instagram.com/p/CFRiRnyFyee/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rondo01 said:

I cant help but wonder if the height of your room is really fighting against your work - it's almost like the room height is acting as a constraint based drill, like swinging under the noodle, in itself. It might be worthwhile to do some half swings getting some extension? maybe not this exactly, but a similar concept? https://www.instagram.com/p/CFRiRnyFyee/

Thanks, appreciate the thoughts. There is plenty of room. I can fully swing up to a 4i or so in my rec room. I definitely have crappy extension in follow through, but it's not because of the ceiling height. That's something I plan to address way down the line.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:13 AM, BigTerp1524 said:

Time for a new glove!! Have been putting enough swings in to finally break this one down.

PXL_20210208_010853717.jpg.a1c7362ec8464492926d3737d49842b2.jpg

Don't want to put too many cooks in the kitchen on this thread.  But typically that's not a good place to wear out the glove.  Padraig mentions that in his grip video and others.  However I'd stick with one path - and @glk is very informative.    

• Like 1

Haven't swung a club all week. Pulled something in my back over the weekend, so wanted to give that a chance to calm down before I get back to it. Probably a good time for a short break anyway.

I'm scheduled to do an iron fitting on March 6th. I feel like I've made some decent progress since December, and glad I held off on a fitting to give myself a chance to improve my swing a bit. Plan is to gather numbers, suggestions, etc. from the fitting and order from Maltby. Fitter is on board with this, so I'm anxious to see what he comes up with. My main points of interest here are lie angle, length, grip size and shaft characteristics. This will open up a whole new can of worms for me to figure out what to get, but I really think some properly fitted clubs will make a noticeable difference for me. 

12 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Haven't swung a club all week. Pulled something in my back over the weekend, so wanted to give that a chance to calm down before I get back to it. Probably a good time for a short break anyway.

I'm scheduled to do an iron fitting on March 6th. I feel like I've made some decent progress since December, and glad I held off on a fitting to give myself a chance to improve my swing a bit. Plan is to gather numbers, suggestions, etc. from the fitting and order from Maltby. Fitter is on board with this, so I'm anxious to see what he comes up with. My main points of interest here are lie angle, length, grip size and shaft characteristics. This will open up a whole new can of worms for me to figure out what to get, but I really think some properly fitted clubs will make a noticeable difference for me. 

See, this is where I'm very different to the average user here. I'd rather have my clubs set up for where I want my swing to be. That's mostly in lie angles - I encourage you to go at least 3* flatter than the fitter suggests because it encourages you to learn how to shallow the club effectively. 

I don't see the point fitting clubs to your current swing because it's going to produce such different numbers when you get cast A and your release sorted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

See, this is where I'm very different to the average user here. I'd rather have my clubs set up for where I want my swing to be. That's mostly in lie angles - I encourage you to go at least 3* flatter than the fitter suggests because it encourages you to learn how to shallow the club effectively. 

I don't see the point fitting clubs to your current swing because it's going to produce such different numbers when you get cast A and your release sorted. 

Yeah, I've been torn here a bit on waiting even longer to be fitted. But I feel like what I'm swinging now isn't doing me any favors, mostly in the length department. I also feel like this is going to be a LONG process sorting out my swing, which is fine and expected. Don't really want to wait 6 more months (or more) to pick up a new set and be 3/4 of the way through the season. I'm eyeing the end of March before the weather breaks enough to get a round in and I'm not really feeling playing the mix-match set I currently have any longer. I feel like the pros outweigh the cons here.

Thanks for the advice on the lie angles. I'll certainly take that into account. The encouraging thing here is my fitter is willing to make adjustments, a "retro fit" as he calls it. So I'll probably go back to him next winter, or sooner, to see where I'm at and what adjustments, if any, need to be made. Would it be fair to say that lie angle would be the main thing that would benefit from tweaking as my swing changes/improves? I cannot imagine length would have any factor. Shaft selection might have some effects, but probably not enough for me to benefit from to delay getting fit. 

27 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Yeah, I've been torn here a bit on waiting even longer to be fitted. But I feel like what I'm swinging now isn't doing me any favors, mostly in the length department. I also feel like this is going to be a LONG process sorting out my swing, which is fine and expected. Don't really want to wait 6 more months (or more) to pick up a new set and be 3/4 of the way through the season. I'm eyeing the end of March before the weather breaks enough to get a round in and I'm not really feeling playing the mix-match set I currently have any longer. I feel like the pros outweigh the cons here.

Thanks for the advice on the lie angles. I'll certainly take that into account. The encouraging thing here is my fitter is willing to make adjustments, a "retro fit" as he calls it. So I'll probably go back to him next winter, or sooner, to see where I'm at and what adjustments, if any, need to be made. Would it be fair to say that lie angle would be the main thing that would benefit from tweaking as my swing changes/improves? I cannot imagine length would have any factor. Shaft selection might have some effects, but probably not enough for me to benefit from to delay getting fit. 

I hear ya. How tall are you? What's your wrist to floor measurement? That's a pretty good indicator for club length. 

Like I said, I think it's best to have flatter lie angles for anyone trying to swing better. I like to start at 3* flat and go from there. 

The reason I mentioned your release is that you're currently leaking loads of power releasing it the way you are, so a fitting might not be apt yet. 

I genuinely feel like a decent set of used irons that are about the correct length would suit you well, but then I'm a firm believer in buying used gear and I'm happy swinging any shaft. The gains are in your swing not your gear, but I understand the desire for better equipment. 

8 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I hear ya. How tall are you? What's your wrist to floor measurement? That's a pretty good indicator for club length. 

I'm 6'8" with a wrist to floor of 39-3/4"

Like I said, I think it's best to have flatter lie angles for anyone trying to swing better. I like to start at 3* flat and go from there. 

Understood. I'll strongly consider this when figuring everything out.

The reason I mentioned your release is that you're currently leaking loads of power releasing it the way you are, so a fitting might not be apt yet. 

Agreed on the release, and understand why this would effect a fitting. Something I plan to address down the road. 

10 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I genuinely feel like a decent set of used irons that are about the correct length would suit you well, but then I'm a firm believer in buying used gear and I'm happy swinging any shaft. The gains are in your swing not your gear, but I understand the desire for better equipment. 

I think I'll have trouble finding anything used in the length I need. Also, I'm considering going with less length increase in the long irons versus the short irons, which would make used even harder to come by. I have a feeling a +2" 4i could be pretty unwieldly and get up into ridiculous swing weights. Where a +2" 8i might be just the ticket by getting me up nicely and not so hunched over. Lots to think about here.

Agreed on the swing being the most important thing. But I also feel like getting a set that better fits me, mostly in the length category, will help things progress even more.

Rather than repost here go see my last post in the how to get better at golf   Thread.   Think you’ll find it interesting.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

36 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

I'm 6'8" with a wrist to floor of 39-3/4"

Understood. I'll strongly consider this when figuring everything out.

Agreed on the release, and understand why this would effect a fitting. Something I plan to address down the road. 

I think I'll have trouble finding anything used in the length I need. Also, I'm considering going with less length increase in the long irons versus the short irons, which would make used even harder to come by. I have a feeling a +2" 4i could be pretty unwieldly and get up into ridiculous swing weights. Where a +2" 8i might be just the ticket by getting me up nicely and not so hunched over. Lots to think about here.

Agreed on the swing being the most important thing. But I also feel like getting a set that better fits me, mostly in the length category, will help things progress even more.

Wow, okay. At 6' 8" you need a fitting!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Wow, okay. At 6' 8" you need a fitting!

LOL!! Yeah, I could really use a bit more length. I mean, I've gotten used to playing with standard clubs. But now that I'm watching myself back, I definitely have a little hunch at address that I cannot help due to club length with my 7i. I was hitting my 9i the other night, and it's obviously worse there. I think a little bit of extra length throughout my irons will help a good bit.

18 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

LOL!! Yeah, I could really use a bit more length. I mean, I've gotten used to playing with standard clubs. But now that I'm watching myself back, I definitely have a little hunch at address that I cannot help due to club length with my 7i. I was hitting my 9i the other night, and it's obviously worse there. I think a little bit of extra length throughout my irons will help a good bit.

Yeah, there's no way you should be using the same length irons as me at 5' 9". That's like me swinging my 10 year old son's clubs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Yeah, there's no way you should be using the same length irons as me at 5' 9". That's like me swinging my 10 year old son's clubs. 

HA!! Pretty much. If you go back and watch any of the videos I've posted, keeping in mind it's a 7i I'm swinging, you'll probably notice. I think this also has an effect on my release/follow through. I physically cannot get good extension through impact which really shortens my release/follow through. 

13 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

HA!! Pretty much. If you go back and watch any of the videos I've posted, keeping in mind it's a 7i I'm swinging, you'll probably notice. I think this also has an effect on my release/follow through. I physically cannot get good extension through impact which really shortens my release/follow through. 

You should still be able to release the club when it's short. My release doesn't change with my son's clubs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back to it this week after taking all of last week off. Had a viscous pull of something in my back from working out. Then my kids and I all ended up with a nice cold. So a decent break was needed. 

My focus lately has been on solidifying the 7 o'clock position and working on the weight shift. The 7 o'clock position is becoming pretty much automatic at this point. The weight shift is still a bit of a struggle, but IMO, is getting better. One thing in particular that helped me here was a little bump forward before the takeaway to initiate the initial shift to the back leg. Something I'm struggling with here is when to shift/transfer the weight back to the lead leg. AMG had a good video a week or so ago on this that @TheDeanAbides recommended I watch, and they like the shift to happen when the club is about parallel to the ground in the takeaway. This feels super early to me and causes me to start rotating my hips too soon and keeps me from getting good rotation in the hips going back. For the NTC Monte stresses to stay closed coming back down, which allows time for the hands to work (cast A), before rotating through. I've been playing with this to try and find what's comfortable. A shift back between 7 and 8 o'clock seems to work best for me, for now at least, but it's a work in progress.

My iron fitting is coming up next Saturday, so I've been working on full swings lately as well. I'm starting to get a decent feel for cast A and what feels best for me here. For me, cast B is pretty much automatic when cast A happens as it should. 

All of the above is starting to feel "good", which is where I want to be at this point. A good bit of work is still to be done to get everything working together, but I do feel like I'm on a bit better path now than before.

Recorded myself last night for the first time in 2 weeks or so. My takeaways are.......

- Good position (shaft, hands, arms) in the backswing, especially at 7 o'clock.

- Better weight shift/transfer in general.

- Overall, a more athletic/natural swing.

- Lacking rotation (especially in the hips) in the backswing.  I feel like this is coming from overemphasizing the weight shift/transfer and from the below.

- Not quite getting to 8 o'clock in the backswing. I feel this is a simple fix and coming from drilling the 7 o'clock position so much lately. This is probably also causing the lack of hip rotation back. Getting my hands to 8 should cause the hips to react to rotate back better.

-My follow through/release is still seriously lacking. When cast A and B happen decently my release feels much better. But video evidence proves otherwise. Not sure what is happening here, but not really something I'm focusing on currently. 

I REALLY need to get to the range to hit some real balls and at least see some ball flights. Weather is finally breaking in my neck of the woods, so hopefully that can happen sooner than later.

Just a thought: you mention not liking the feeling of the shift happening at LAP, but this is where it does happen in a good swing. If you're not enjoying that you might need to reassess your journey because if you start disregarding a correct move because it doesn't feel good then you're either doing it wrong or you're doing it right! 

It should feel uncomfortable. I would say that at this point you're in danger of getting lost and drilling incorrect moves. It's now time to stop guessing and get a lesson with Monte. I feel like you have loads of potential, but every swing update at the moment has something new that's a bit funky. 

All said with good intentions - I know golf is hard!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Just a thought: you mention not liking the feeling of the shift happening at LAP, but this is where it does happen in a good swing. If you're not enjoying that you might need to reassess your journey because if you start disregarding a correct move because it doesn't feel good then you're either doing it wrong or you're doing it right! 

It should feel uncomfortable. I would say that at this point you're in danger of getting lost and drilling incorrect moves. It's now time to stop guessing and get a lesson with Monte. I feel like you have loads of potential, but every swing update at the moment has something new that's a bit funky. 

All said with good intentions - I know golf is hard!

All understood. 

In regards to the shift, I understand it should be happening at left arm parallel. I believe I worded my intentions there wrong. What I'm trying to do is get to that point. Originally I didn't shift until almost the start of my downswing, so it's been tough to get it happening so early. From the videos (especially DTL) it actually doesn't look that far off. But man does it feel like it. So what I'm trying to do is feel it no later than from 7 to 8, and to continue to work on it happening at left arm parallel/7 o'clock.   

Anything in particular you're referencing in being funky?

No need to relay intentions. I REALLY appreciate all the criticisms, suggestions, etc. I've gotten here.

I am planning on getting a lesson with Monte in the foreseeable future. I think a live online one would work best for me. 

Funkiness:

1) Your RH grip is very strong.

2) Your hips are sliding a little away from the ball instead of moving straight back behind you. 

3) Your arm swing is not synced up with your shoulder turn - there's some run on with your arms still moving rather than stopping when your shoulders stop turning. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Funkiness:

1) Your RH grip is very strong.

2) Your hips are sliding a little away from the ball instead of moving straight back behind you. 

3) Your arm swing is not synced up with your shoulder turn - there's some run on with your arms still moving rather than stopping when your shoulders stop turning. 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Give the brain a week off and and you find out how much you've retained.     That said, get that fitting and then get that online live lesson with Monte as soon as you can afterwards.      You can  continue on your own but like pretty much all of us it will most likely be a long, frustrating struggle - life is too short - a lesson with a good instructor speeds up the process, a lot.

• Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

1 hour ago, glk said:

Give the brain a week off and and you find out how much you've retained.     That said, get that fitting and then get that online live lesson with Monte as soon as you can afterwards.      You can  continue on your own but like pretty much all of us it will most likely be a long, frustrating struggle - life is too short - a lesson with a good instructor speeds up the process, a lot.

Agreed about that fitting. Make sure that you stand in a correct posture when you're fitted too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My fitting on Saturday was pretty much a disaster. I could not hit anything well at all. I was struggling so much, my fitting basically turned into a lesson. I was either topping the ball into the bottom of the screen or hitting it with such an open club face that it was an awful slice/push slice. It was almost embarrassing how bad I was hitting!!

But, I do feel like it was well worth it. My fitter was super accommodating and it was refreshing to have someone watch my swing live and give feedback. What he determined is that I was sliding way to much forward on my downswing, and releasing the club way too late (baseball type swing). He had me line up the ball off my front foot like I would with a driver. I immediately starting hitting solid shots this way. He explained how this was just a band aid, but it highlighted my late release and forward slide in that I was able to cleanly hit the ball with it so far forward. He also explained how my slide forward blocked my hip rotation coming into impact which further exacerbated the late release and open club face at impact. He also had me reduce my wrist hinge at the top of my backswing and focus on a "casting motion" coming back down to help facilitate the release. Very similar to cast A in the NTC. This was also helpful.

A few drills he had me do was some swings with my feet together to get a feel for how the hips and body need to rotate through the swing, especially coming back down and at impact. This helped me feel how off the rotation is in my swing. For club release he place a large piece of painters tape on the turf and had me work on picking it clean. This seemed to help force me to release the club a bit better.

I was pretty frustrated after my fitting. But quickly realized I'm not completely rebuilding my swing in 2 months, and that I've got a LONG ways to go if I want to sick with it. The feedback about my swing I received will help moving forward.

We did come up with some club options that best fit me. First, was a 1-1/2" shaft length increase over standard. We tried everything up to 2" over standard and settled on 1-1/2". I found the Golf Pride Plus 4 Midsize the best feeling grip. WAY more comfortable than the standard size I've always played. For shaft he liked the TruTemper Dymanic Gold X100. He felt I needed the extra stiff do to my fast club head speed, extra length and how hard I rip my hands back down in the downswing. He did say I may want to step down to a stiff shaft once I work out my swing issues and stop ripping the club down so forcefully. Trying different heads was pretty pointless due to how awful I was swinging. We stuck with the Malby TS2 for everything. We didn't discuss lie angle. I honestly forgot to even mention this. But I think I was so inconsistent, he wasn't able to get a good gauge on what I needed here. In the build sheet he worked up, he did have the lie angles at +1/2 degree across the whole set. Not sure if that was what he came up with, or what Maltby defaults to with the TS2 in a +1-1/2" shaft. Something I should get in touch with him to clarify. In general, the combination of the 120g shaft, Plus 4 Midsize grip and the TS2 heads did feel really good, especially compared to what I have been swinging.

Overall I think the 1-1/2" shaft length increase, the 120ish gram shaft weight and the stiff/extra stiff flex will get me in the right direction. My plan is to have Maltby build me a set with a budget shaft (probably an FST). I just need to research which shaft is a good alternative to the X100 and decide on a head. I also need to figure out what I need/want in regards to lie angle. I'm far away from needing to be really particular with components, as evidenced by my inconsistently during my fitting. But I do believe the shaft length increase, more appropriate flex and a comfortable grip will only help as I continue to work on my swing.

6 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Sorry to hear that you crumbled a bit during the fitting. The extra length and thicker grips will surely help you because you're such a big guy. Now is definitely the time to get a lesson with Monte if funds allow. 

Yeah, it was pretty much a disaster. Either I just completely lost it, or hitting foam balls into a net was deceiving enough that it gives me false feedback. Either way, I learned a few things that I plan to work on. Overall it was a positive thing, very humbling, but I still got some things to work on out of it.

Yes, I do plan to get a live online lesson with Monte. I've got a bunch of things coming up the next couple of weeks, so I'm putting it off until probably April. That way I can focus on what I get from the lesson and not have to wait to work on those things. I'm hoping to find the time to hit the driving range once before I hook up with Monte as well. I need a serious break from hitting foam balls into a net. Hitting on a simulator is also not as ideal as seeing actual ball flight and getting real feedback, IMO. 

Not much to add - but just to say, hang in there man - it's a marathon not a sprint... we all want quick results (a golf swing 'seems' easy enough no?) but it's the process, the grinding, the lightbulb that's worth it in the long run... you're at the right place, lots of well intentioned people, giving honest takes (glk & TheDean, to name a few) - that really know their stuff... I posted one swing on pivot work I was doing for nearly half a year - and guys here picked it up immediatly - if you have the chance, Monte and/or Dan are the real deal

• Like 1