2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

BigTerp's swing journey

BigTerp1524

Spent just a few minutes last night working on a few things based on @TheDeanAbides breakdown of my videos from yesterday. Focused on only two things. The first was a better takeaway and not letting my hands get too deep at P3. My old habit is getting my hands WAY behind/deep through the top of the backswing. This creeps back up fairly often. The initial takeaway was better, however I forgot the below little tidbit from Dean and still let my hands get a little deep. Was still better here just as a result of the improved takeaway. Will work on my hand position at P2 and get this all put together.

21 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You just need to feel like your hands move out away from the torso a little at P2 as you turn.

The second was full extension through impact. What Dean said yesterday about being fully extended at P7 really lit a bulb for me. I always felt tied up/constricted through my downswing and could never work it out. Figured it was partially because of my height and short clubs. The combination of getting my arms a bit more room to work and just focusing on fully extending through impact was a GREAT feeling. Initially I thought for sure I was going to smack the ground and break my club, that's how much of a tied up feeling I've had previously. But once I just let it go the swing felt way more free. Still some room for improvement here and my takeaway/P3, but last nights progress, revelations, etc. with just 10-15 minutes of work were VERY encouraging.

Just for S's&G's here is my swing from 3 months ago on January 9th. I went back to watch these for the first time just to compare my takeaway/P3 position, impact extension and follow through. OBVIOUS improvements there, but the overall improvements are pretty significant.

Last night working on the above. Really encouraging to see the improved extension at impact and much better follow through. Since I started videoing my swing, my follow through always bugged me. Happy to see some improvement there and even more happy to FINALLY understand how to improve it.

15 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Looking good!

Thanks!! I certainly appreciate all the help as well. I feel like things are starting to come together. 

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow evening after work. I'm dying to hit some real balls and see some ball flights. But of course, it's calling for rain. Either way I plan to hit the range an hour or so before tee time on Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks!! I certainly appreciate all the help as well. I feel like things are starting to come together. 

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow evening after work. I'm dying to hit some real balls and see some ball flights. But of course, it's calling for rain. Either way I plan to hit the range an hour or so before tee time on Sunday. 

Remember that P3 swings (or just a hair longer) will serve you really well on the course, but that's a swing you can play with. If someone asked me to guess your cap, I'd say single figures. It's the best it's ever looked. Well done!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Remember that P3 swings (or just a hair longer) will serve you really well on the course, but that's a swing you can play with. If someone asked me to guess your cap, I'd say single figures. It's the best it's ever looked. Well done!

Appreciate that. I've certainly put in some work over the past couple of months and I feel like it's finally paying off and things are coming together. The biggest thing for me now is getting it consistent. But only time and continued work will get me there. Still a long ways to go.

Agreed on the P3 swings. In addition to that, something I realized just recently is that slowing my tempo dramatically has made everything much better. This is something I want to really focus on throughout my round on Sunday. Everything else is feeling fairly engrained. Obviously I've still got to check myself and make corrections when I get off track. But it's really easy for me to get back into ripping it back hard and fast and returning into the downswing in the same manner. A slow, steady and deliberate tempo has been a great change for me. Anxious to see how all of this plays out in the real world.

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I have a warm glow inside at how far you've come with this, buddy. 🤩

HA!! Thanks. But I just gotta say again how much I appreciate your help. I've been hard headed at times, but you and everyone else on here has always steered me in the right direction. I wouldn't have made near the progress I have so far without this forum.

• Like 1

Was FINALLY able to hit the range this evening. Was SO nice to hit some actual balls versus foam balls and get some real feedback. Surprisingly my miss with my irons was a straight push right. After working on it a bit I realized if I tried to sort of turn my right hand over a bit at impact it straightened things out. This is basically me not releasing the club properly, correct? And by working on turning my right hand over I'm releasing the club better and squaring the club face better versus leaving it a bit open at impact? Either way it was nice to see an issue, asses it and work out a solution. Don't get me wrong, I had my share of mishits. Shanks, chunks, tops, etc. But hitting balls with a purpose and getting decent results was refreshing. Don't think I've ever taken divots either. Tonight was a nice medium shallow divot that different yet good.

The most surprising thing tonight was my driver. I hit it more consistently then I ever have. Kind of weird since I've been swinging nothing but irons since January. Every swing was either straight and long or a gently fade. Very comfortable as well. I'm one who typically banana sliced my driver OB every 2nd or 3rd swing. Below is the head after my first 5 or 6 balls. Before, the entire club face would be covered with ball marks.

Overall I'm really encouraged with where I'm at. Consistency isn't even close to being good but I know that'll take time, and a lot of it. Really looking forward to my round on Sunday!!

PXL_20210409_201449611.MP.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see a payoff for the effort.  The push right could be you need to do a bit more motorcycle in transition - cast a is both unhinge with wrist flexion.   In the actual swing the wrist flexion happens early than the complete unhinge.  

those new clubs with a lesson with monte could really have your game take off.    

• Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

12 hours ago, glk said:

Good to see a payoff for the effort.  The push right could be you need to do a bit more motorcycle in transition - cast a is both unhinge with wrist flexion.   In the actual swing the wrist flexion happens early than the complete unhinge.  

those new clubs with a lesson with monte could really have your game take off.    

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Yes, looking forward to a lesson with Monte!!

Played my first round of the year yesterday. Shot a 111. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but did have some positives and started to figure a few things out. My swing in general did not feel comfortable at all, for whatever reason. Was again missing a lot to the right. Both a straight push but more slices than at the range the other day. My first swing of the day on the first hole was an awful slice with my driver off the tee that disappeared OB. Funny thing is that is was the only ball I lost all day. Took the stroke and distance local rule and hit 4 from the right side of the fairway where I went OB. Misjudged that shot with my SW and came up short. Chunked my SW 11 yards for my 5th shot before getting on the green in 6 and then proceeded to 3 putt. A 9 on the first hole was not the way I wanted to start. The rest of the front went about the same with great shots here or there mixed in with some hilariously bad ones. For instance on #5 I topped my driver 67 yards and then followed it up with a 250 yard 3W off the deck right down the middle. Terribly inconsistent on the front. Went out with a 58.

On the back I remembered what @TheDeanAbides said about how half swings would do me good on the course. I decided this was how I was going to play the back. This went much better and I was way more consistent with my irons and driver. It felt more like a 3/4 swing versus a half swing, but results were better. Was able to control my driver and turn it into a gentle fade versus a hard slice and it made my irons way more accurate. Came in with a 53, but I played the back much better. I still had my share of duffs though. Just on 14, 15 and 17 I'm figuring on 6 shots I lost because I duffed with my SW and LW. That's not figuring on bad shots in general, those are just the total duffs that are unacceptable. Eliminate just those and I'm coming in at 47. My best hole was the par 5 #18 that I carded a par on. Decent drive followed up by a 286 yard 5W that was short of the green by about 25 yards. Nice chip to get on then a 2 putt for par.

Overall, it went about as expected. Found myself fighting old habits a bit, while trying not to think of much during my swing. This isn't going to lead to consistent outcomes. But I know I just need to keep working and eventually I'll have my swing engrained enough to not have to think about it is much and/or fight back old habits. 

Moving forward I want to focus more on the 3/4 swing. This was night and day difference for me yesterday. Didn't seem to lose much, if any, yardage this way but was way more consistent. My swing may ultimately evolve into a 3/4 type and stay there for the foreseeable future. We will see. I'm also going to spend some time on my chipping/pitching. This is where I lost most of my strokes yesterday. Now that it's nice out this is something I can work on in my yard. I can also practice my putting at home, which could use some work as well.  

If you want a good chuckle, here's the rundown of my round yesterday.  https://dashboard.golfpadgps.com/round/RETEP47T#1

First time using an app such as this, but it seems like it's going to be helpful in improving my game. Was interesting to go back and relive the good shots as well as the bad and look for trends. And just for S's & G's, I went back to every hole to count the terrible shots. Not bad shots, but chunks, skulls, duffs, etc. etc. Below is what I came up with.

#1 - OB on drive (2 shots) duffed SW (1 shot) 3 putt (1 shot)

#2 - Duffed SW & LW (2 shots)

#3 - Skulled PW (1 shot) 

#4 - Topped 4i (1 shot)

#5 - Topped drive (1 shot) duffed SW (1 shot)

#6 - 3 putt (1 shot)

#7 - Topped 5W x 2 (2 shots) 5W OB (2 shots) duffed SW (1 shot)

#8 - None

#9 - 4 putt!! (2 shots)

#10 - None

#11 - None

#12 - None

#13 - 3 putt (1 shot)

#14 - Duffed SW x 2 (2 shots) 3 putt (1 shot)

#15 - Duffed LW x 2 (2 shots) 3 putt (1 shot)

#16 - 3 putt (1 shot)

#17 - Duffed LW x 2 (2 shots)

#18 - None

Now if I eliminate half of these shots above, not including any putting, I save 7 shots on the front and come out at 51. For the back I save 3 shots and come in at 50 for a 101. I think eliminating half of these bonehead shots is a good goal for me at this point. 

Now If I eliminate half of my 3 and 4 putts, another realistic goal, I save 4 more shots and break 100 for the first time with a 97. 

LOTS to work on, but I'm looking forward to the improvement that I know is just around the corner!!! 

Edited by BigTerp1524

3 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I wouldn't read too much into the first round in months - everyone is mega rusty, dude. Have a few more rounds to see how patterns develop. It's more about getting a feel for being out there again right now.

Agreed. My swing itself I'm not too stressed about. I know it's going to take a lot more time to get it comfortable and fairly thought free. But my chipping and pitching obviously needs work. But this is something I can work on easily enough at home. 

One encouraging thing was the struggle I was having with my driver on the front. Took your advice and shortened my swing and things got much better. See, before I would just continue to swing it the same way the entire round. Yesterday was the first time I stepped back, did some evaluating and adjusted. Things like this just show the mindset I have on improving. Which again, is encouraging. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Yes, golf is a game of controlled aggression. You have to swing freely enough to release the club properly, but you also can't go at it so hard that you're out of control. Ironically, you'll generally hit it further by having more control anyway. 

Yep. This is something I've been realizing more and more recently. Hitting foam balls inside I could feel the difference, but after seeing the difference yesterday It's hard to deny. Going to really work on keeping my swing short and under control this week. 

• Like 1

Still working hard on everything. This week I'm been going back to swings at left arm parallel working on cast b (release) and getting good extension at/through impact. I feel like this is the major cause of my push/push slice and slice for a few reasons. The first thought is when I come inside on the takeaway and get to deep with my hands at the top, it forces an over the top move and if I don't get a good cast b and extension at impact it results in a slice from the open club face and coming more out to in. If I get my takeaway good and I don't allow my hands to get too deep at P3, I'm able to shallow the club much better and easier. But if I don't get a good cast b (release) and extension at impact I get the push/push slice due to the open club face but this time coming more in to out. The takeaway and keeping my hands less deep at P3 is the easy move for me. Cast b and my late release is currently the more difficult thing to correct. Since I started this rebuild a late release has always been an issue. But I'm working it out.

I sort of figured all of this out on the range last week and during my round over the weekend. I mentioned about a push/push slice at the range, and the feeling of rolling my right hand over a bit fixed this issue. But it took me breaking things down at home to figure out the main causes and then work on the fixes. So I'm sort of beginning to assess my own swing a little better and work out the fixes/corrections. I feel like this is a big step towards consistency for me.      

Found an IG post from Monte last night showing a before and after of a student of his. It showed how much better he kept his hips and shoulders closed at the beginning of the downswing and how this allowed him to bring the arms down first and really shallow the club effectively. I went back and looked at my swing video from last week, and although I'm not terrible here, there is some room for improvement. I know in the NTC Monte stresses this. Was never something I've been super comfortable with and never fully got it. But looking at the before/after below I can see how this would do a few things for me. It would help me come down a bit better with the hands versus out, shallow the club a bit more effectively, give me a bit more room for my arms which in turn should help me get better extension at impact. I took video last night just as a check in, and extension at impact is still something I'm struggling with a bit. Hopefully working on the above will help with this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsgAVfsCSM/?utm_source=ig_web_button_native_share

Something else I'm not entirely comfortable with is my grip. From where I started I've really weakened my right hand (which was previously extremely strong), but my left hand is still on the strong side. I've tried to get it more neutral lately, but it's just not comfortable and results are all over the place. My thought is while rebuilding my swing I should be working on a more neutral grip. Is this the correct way to go? Or, should I just roll with the new grip I've developed over the past few months?

Edited by BigTerp1524

@TheDeanAbides I finally watched the Justin Rose drill 10 minutes ago that you mentioned in another thread. Going to work on this tonight as I think it'll help me stay a bit more closed during the first part of the downswing. I just could never get a good feel for this based on the new NTC videos, and Monte didn't share any drills for this. So in return, I still open up a bit too quickly.  Hoping the Justin Rose drill will solidify this for me.

6 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

@TheDeanAbides I finally watched the Justin Rose drill 10 minutes ago that you mentioned in another thread. Going to work on this tonight as I think it'll help me stay a bit more closed during the first part of the downswing. I just could never get a good feel for this based on the new NTC videos, and Monte didn't share any drills for this. So in return, I still open up a bit too quickly.  Hoping the Justin Rose drill will solidify this for me.

Just make sure that it's done with the arms. It's like the twin sibling of the cast a move... Basically an extension of it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Just make sure that it's done with the arms. It's like the twin sibling of the cast a move... Basically an extension of it. 

So, basically, I'm working on coming down with the arms (instead of out then down) while keeping the hips/shoulders closed down to about P6 or so, correct? Then from there I rotate through to impact?

37 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

So, basically, I'm working on coming down with the arms (instead of out then down) while keeping the hips/shoulders closed down to about P6 or so, correct? Then from there I rotate through to impact?

Cast A sorts the wrists out. Then the left arm feels like it comes straight down. Do it slowly at first. When you get it right you're going to hit the ball like never before. Half the apparent effort for twice the output. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Cast A sorts the wrists out. Then the left arm feels like it comes straight down. Do it slowly at first. When you get it right you're going to hit the ball like never before. Half the apparent effort for twice the output. 

Cool. Thanks!! I'll definitely be working on this this evening. 

Worked on the Justin Rose drill a bit tonight. A little awkward at first, but I can definitely get the feel of a few things. First it clarifies for me the initial move down from the top with the hands versus out. Secondly it helps me feel staying closed a bit longer there as well, just as Monte stresses in the NTC video. I'm going to continue working on it for a few days, then video and see where I'm at.

Here are a few pictures of my grip. Curious what everyone thinks.

PXL_20210417_000400353.jpg

PXL_20210417_000345505.jpg

PXL_20210417_000317313.jpg

Edited by BigTerp1524
Spelling