Someone asks you "What's your handicap ?"

nsxguy

Someone asks you "What's your handicap ?"  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I usually say I am better than the average bear, but it is OK because I am also bigger than the average bear.  Actually it doesn't matter what I tell folks because it will just confuse them.  I usually just say I am a little better than scratch women's which is about a 4 - 5 men's handicap.

• Like 1

Tell 'em: "I don't have one, don't care, usually shoot mid 80's with my Buddies"

Or, if I'm on the course and someone asks: "What's your handicap?" 

I look at my bag and say "how many clubs in the bag today?" It usually gets a chuckle and we just go out and have some fun. No interest at all. Don't play in comps, don't play for money. When I play with my Buds, they each get a stroke a hole, except for Par 3's (unless it's a particularly tough one, which is decided on the tee box) and they play straight up against each other. Nothing on the line other than a round of beers at the Clubhouse. And to be honest, I've never bought a round against them. 

• Like 1

Has only happened to me a couple of times that I can remember. Typically my rounds are:

1. League play where the handicaps are published for each match so no need to ask.
  2. Regular group, again the games w/ handicaps are known each week.
  3. Casual play with a friend who doesn't keep a handicap and doesn't care.

The times I've been asked is when paired up with people I don't know and for some reason they ask. One guy I remember asked me and I just said "I'm a 7 (or whatever my index was at the time)". He gave me a nod and said, "yeah you look like a 7." Not sure if that was a complement or an insult? 🙂

I was in a bar a few years ago and golf was on TV and the guy next to me noticed I was watching it.  He asked if I played and the conversation progressed to asking me my handicap.  Told him I was a 9.  His response was unexpected.  He got very excited and yelled across the bar to his friends that I as a single digit handicapper and they all came over to ask me questions.  Quite bizarre.  I've gotten a little better since then and but say just I'm ok.  

Edited by LeoLeo99
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jdl said:

. One guy I remember asked me and I just said "I'm a 7 (or whatever my index was at the time)". He gave me a nod and said, "yeah you look like a 7." Not sure if that was a complement or an insult? 🙂

Probably depends whether he was a 1 or a 17 lol.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I usually tell them I'm single handicap.  I've gotten several interesting responses from "Oh so you're a badass out on the course, huh?" to "Wow, I'm playing with good golfer today."   My usual response is that I've been playing golf since I was a kid and that I love the game.  I believe that it's better to let your game do the talking. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I would give a whole number and a range "16-18". Only reason I keep it is for personal reference and to gauge my progress. I think it only came up once last season.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

On 1/17/2021 at 11:46 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

Probably depends whether he was a 1 or a 17 lol.

I can say with some confidence he was not a 1. 🙂

He had a funky pre-shot routine, did the ol' "Babe Ruth calling his shot" thing with the club after he took his stance.

I didn't ask him his handicap. maybe that was rude? I just didn't care...

I think if anybody is asked what their hc is, it really depends on who it is and why they are asking. Some people I will answer exactly and some just vaguely. It's always good to be curteous.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I have never needed my index/hdcp in casual rounds for 15 years or more.The rounds are just that - casual - and I don’t play for anything; not money, nor prestige. It’s me against the course.

During completion, my index is verified at the pro shop and the strokes given/received are already identified on a card assigned to me. Then my FC will compare with me, switch cards, and away we go.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

On 1/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, MtlJeff said:

If a golfer asks me usually i just say my index to the decimal (like, i'm a 0.6)

If a non golfer asks me i usually just say i'm awesome at golf. And if they ask how awesome i just say something like this:

-"Do you know someone from your work who golfs and talks about golf, and people assume he's pretty good"

-"Yeah there's this guy Dave in my office"

-"I'm much better than Dave"

Very funny but very very very true.

Depends on how recently I've seen snow. Usually won't tell people my handicap that don't know me until I've had 3-4 rounds to remember how to swing again.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

On 1/13/2021 at 3:13 PM, Sparty4202 said:

Wow that’s interesting...at my club we had just the opposite..before if you were a 5.0 you’d play to a 6...now you’ll play to a 7! 

I found it equalized after a while. 

First few months were a bit of a shock, but then it seemed to return to about normal, or higher.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

1 hour ago, disco111 said:

My response.....................Married with kids!...........:classic_rolleyes:

:classic_rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I don't do comps anymore and I do not keep a GHIN but I have a friend of mine who has the software to do it with. I actually keep 2 handicaps one with the somewhat modern equipment and the strictly vintage stuff. The groups I play in all know each others game and handicap so we make low dollar games accordingly. When pared with the occasional tourist golfer I have never had one ask. I did have one guy ask after a round one day where I had played rather well. Basically I told him I do not play comps anymore so I do not really keep one.  And honestly I have not turned any in to my friend since last April when I broke my back and shoulder. In fact I have not played but 2 separate 9 hole rounds since then.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Anywhere other than the course, I tell them "my handicap is 40 yard wedge shots". If they press, I give them my "bad day" handicap, about 2 strokes worse than my actual handicap because that's what they're likely to see on any given day.  If we're on the first tee working on a bet, I estimate it about a stroke better than actual just to avoid claims of sandbagging if I have a great day. I also follow it up with my normal scoring range, especially if it's a course I play often.

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

GOLF.  My handicap is golf.

• Haha 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

It is interesting to read these responses. It seems that a lot of you don't care that much about your handicap. The people that I tend to play with are constantly talking about handicap, and researching other folks' handicap on the GHIN app all the time. I play mostly in money games, and the app is great for the pre-round negotiations. You can look up your opponent and even see their scores on the course you are on, helps a lot.

Just this weekend got hustled by a couple of guys who did not carry official handicaps but told us that they shot between 90 and 95 most of the time. One of them shot an 83. Got him to admit that he sometimes gets "below 85, but shoot a lot of bad scores." I was like "Well the handicap system is set up is based more on potential than your bad rounds." We gave them 6 strokes and lost the stableford by 5 points, but we were under pressure the entire round. I think we still would have lost if we had been closer on the capping, the sandbagger guy made some clutch putts - credit to him there.

I told them we would gladly play again, once they establish real caps or straight up. It only requires 3 rounds now with the new system. Sandbagger bought the drinks after, so no hard feelings.

Personally i skirt the ask.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

The only people I play for money are people who know me and are around my same skill level, so we give no strokes to anyone anyway so our handicaps don't matter. But on the rare time I'm asked by someone I round my index to the nearest whole number and say "I'm about a ___."

I've never been asked by a total stranger to play a money game.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

15 hours ago, RmoorePE said:

It is interesting to read these responses. It seems that a lot of you don't care that much about your handicap. The people that I tend to play with are constantly talking about handicap, and researching other folks' handicap on the GHIN app all the time. I play mostly in money games, and the app is great for the pre-round negotiations. You can look up your opponent and even see their scores on the course you are on, helps a lot.

Just this weekend got hustled by a couple of guys who did not carry official handicaps but told us that they shot between 90 and 95 most of the time. One of them shot an 83. Got him to admit that he sometimes gets "below 85, but shoot a lot of bad scores." I was like "Well the handicap system is set up is based more on potential than your bad rounds." We gave them 6 strokes and lost the stableford by 5 points, but we were under pressure the entire round. I think we still would have lost if we had been closer on the capping, the sandbagger guy made some clutch putts - credit to him there.

I told them we would gladly play again, once they establish real caps or straight up. It only requires 3 rounds now with the new system. Sandbagger bought the drinks after, so no hard feelings.

Were the two guys ransoms you got paired up with, or did you know them? 

I would absolutely never play a money game with someone I did not know, outside of some kind of sanctioned event, regardless if they have an established handicap or not. Too many people are sandbaggers looking to make a buck. I just don’t give people enough credit to be honest without knowing them when it comes to matters of money. 

Edited by bigred90gt

Its funny, I didn't really know the guys. My bud and I were sitting in the tavern on last Friday afternoon trying to find a game for Saturday AM. We had been calling some friends to see their availability to no avail. We saw one of the guys we played walking across the street. I knew he was a HS golf coach a couple towns away, and had just bought a golf course property next to a different guy we play with who is a member at a semi-private club. I had talked to him briefly at some of my daughter's golf matches.

So he came in and had a drink and we arranged to play. We didn't know each other's game and the weather sucked we just staked $20 each. At least I was careful that way. But yeah, the signs were there we were being gamed. We gained some momentum mid round and got back to within 2 and he asked if we wanted to double the bet at the turn.

They were nice guys, played fast and had fun so we are really looking forward to a rematch. Just with better negotiations pre round.