Ping G400 5 Wood as 4 Wood?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

all depends on your swing speed. any club type (dr, fw, hy, di, long iron) - you get some incremental gains from lower lofted clubs, but then you pass a threshold, if your swing speed doesn't keep up,

37 minutes ago, justcallmemoses said:

Is anyone playing the Ping G400 5 wood lofted down to 16.5?

How are the ball speeds? I’ve read reviews of this model being sluggish.

I’m looking at 4 wood options for my bag in the second hand market. My miss is left so I’m looking for something not closed looking at address.

I don’t mind mine at 17.5 still stronger than older TM 4 wood I had 

When I was fitted for G400 woods, the 5 wood, turned down 1 degree with a half inch longer shaft carried further than the standard 3 wood. It didn't look closed either.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R
Mizuno ST190 TS 3W Fujikura Atmos 6R
Ping G400 7 Wood Aldila Rip'd 65R
Mizuno JPX Hi Fli 4 hybrid Recoil ESX R
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
53.08 Vokey SM5
58.10 Vokey SM5
Ping Craz-e G2i

I've messed around with it, I found that it works really good off the fairway, average shot probably longer than a 3 wood, but a perfect 3 wood is still longer.  Off the tee I think you will lose some distance if that is an issue for you. It does open the face a bit, which for me is not a bad thing.  

The issue I had with it is that the face angle was now different than my 7 wood, which screwed me up a bit.  In the end I went with 3,5,7 woods, but if I had to eliminate one, it would be the 3 wood and I would turn down the 5 wood again.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Just now, plim123 said:

all depends on your swing speed. any club type (dr, fw, hy, di, long iron) - you get some incremental gains from lower lofted clubs, but then you pass a threshold, if your swing speed doesn't keep up, the next lower lofted club doesn't necessarily go longer.

I’m 102-105 mph range on trackman 

Hope I don't highjack this too much - but is any company making a true 4 wood or weak 3 wood? 

That is the club that I'm really in the market for. Like the OP I also tend to miss left so closing the 3 wood to add loft isn't a good option, and an open 5 wood comes with a shorter shaft and smaller club head which I'd prefer to avoid.

Currently I have my G400 14.5* ticked a tad open, but would ideally have something with 1-1.5* or so more loft ticked a tad open. Losing a slight amount off the tee with the club and gaining a slightly higher fairway launch is my ideal state.

Love my M4 HL "3 wood". Super easy to hit off the tee and deck and plenty long. 

Had an M2 HL 3 wood and loved it (stolen). It was long and felt great. The M4 is just as long and can be had for about 100.00 right now.

My miss with any club is a slight pull or over draw and the M4 flies high and straight.

Ok 

Edited by aquapig

G400 5 wood turned down paired with a low/low heavy shaft. This is what I do and I don't plan on changing it.

PING G400 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Black Velo 7X

PING G400 5 Wood @ 16.5* - Aldila RIPx 95TX

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4i-6i / MB 7i-PW - Nippon Modus 125X

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 55*, & 60* - DG TI S400 Onyx

Lajosi Sensor Custom

Lamkin UTX Cord Mids, PRO V1x, Hoofer Tour

53 minutes ago, golfday said:

Hope I don't highjack this too much - but is any company making a true 4 wood or weak 3 wood? 

That is the club that I'm really in the market for. Like the OP I also tend to miss left so closing the 3 wood to add loft isn't a good option, and an open 5 wood comes with a shorter shaft and smaller club head which I'd prefer to avoid.

Currently I have my G400 14.5* ticked a tad open, but would ideally have something with 1-1.5* or so more loft ticked a tad open. Losing a slight amount off the tee with the club and gaining a slightly higher fairway launch is my ideal state.

Certainly Titleist and Callaway for sure.