what to look for in college Golf

My son will be in 8th grade next year and his couch told him he needs to start studying schools and the ones he wants to go to. He told him to start emailing couches  to get on there radar. I was going to do a spread sheet for him to put couches number and email address in along with stats about the school. ( scoring average from 1 trough 5.) stuff like that. is there anything else that we should track to keep up with. thanks in advanced 

Edited by Tannerbug33

• Tannerbug33 changed the title to what to look for in college Golf
13 hours ago, Tannerbug33 said:

My son will be in 8th grade next year and his couch told him he needs to start studying schools and the ones he wants to go to. He told him to start emailing couches  to get on there radar. I was going to do a spread sheet for him to put couches number and email address in along with stats about the school. ( scoring average from 1 trough 5.) stuff like that. is there anything else that we should track to keep up with. thanks in advanced 

Going through this process now with my oldest

We identified what our most important factors in choosing a college were (those are the things you may want to list/track in your spreadsheet) and then started looking at about 40 schools that met that criteria.  Many didn't even have a golf team. 

We looked at a wide range of schools for both academic admission standard and golf competitiveness (in terms of being able to play for their team): reach, target and "safety" schools across D1 and D3. 

I would strongly recommend picking the school first, thinking of golf second.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

Going through this process now with my oldest

We identified what our most important factors in choosing a college were (those are the things you may want to list/track in your spreadsheet) and then started looking at about 40 schools that met that criteria.  Many didn't even have a golf team. 

We looked at a wide range of schools for both academic admission standard and golf competitiveness (in terms of being able to play for their team): reach, target and "safety" schools across D1 and D3. 

I would strongly recommend picking the school first, thinking of golf second.

Though not an expert on the subject, I would look at academics first. This is just being statistically realistic. Do they have a program that has a high probability of helping your child be successful long term in the real world? Most important other than that should probably be CLIMATE. It's not that easy to get better if its 35 and snowing unless you're at Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or some serious D1 program. 2 of the top 10 and 4 of the top 20 (schools) are in climates where you can't play close to all year. Other big factors should be staff and facilities. The litmus test question should be to a program "what does your off-season training look like?" Also cabin fever can lead to a lack of stimulation when the big 2-1 comes up and possibly before it TBH. One thing I wanted to add, as Bill Walsh would say the results speak for themselves. Can your kid win or compete and at which level? AJGA, IJGT, Hurricane, State Jr, H.S?

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 1

I absolutely agree that your son should start emailing coaches and start a contact stream. In 8th grade, you need to look from a much larger scope since you still have a lot of unknowns. I would say that academic major is most important, more so if he wants to study a very specific major. You need to factor in the type of student he is because high academic schools require a top student. You also need to evaluate the level of golfer he is currently and where you think he will be by sophomore in high school (for high end golf programs). What part of the country he is interested in attending school. I suggest you also look at Div 1, Div 2, Div 3 and NAIA. You want to target a school in which he can play in the top 5. Schools recruit for spots 1 through 3, not usually 4 or 5 (look at scoring average for 1 - 3). Some of the other factors is golf facilities, public or private school, price (how much money do you have to contribute since golf is a partial scholarship model). Good luck, it is quite a ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a good idea to start now, but a lot can and will change with your son over the next few years. The schools he wants to attend will probably change, his golf game will continue to develop, his grades will become a very significant factor in what schools he could potentially attend, and so on. 

The others have offered good advice, and mine isn't that different. Personally, I'd start with location first. Does he want to remain fairly close to home or is he okay with going somewhere across the country? From there, create a list of programs at different levels he may be interested in (Top-tier DI, mid-low level DI, DII or NAIA). 

I wouldn't worry about scoring average. Instead, look at what tournaments the teams are playing in (big time events or just regional ones with other local colleges), are they competing in tournaments or finishing close to last each time, did the qualify for the NCAA championship, etc.

I doubt as an 8th grader he knows what he wants to do with the rest of his life so I wouldn't worry too much about what he thinks he wants to study or the schools' academic standards just yet. However, I'd go ahead and start looking into non-athletic scholarship options he may qualify for. Regardless of talent level it's pretty rare for someone to get a full athletic scholarship for golf so if he ends up wanting to go somewhere expensive you may need outside scholarship money to make that happen. 

And remember to keep an open mind. This is far from a "final list" it will change a lot over the years and just because a school isn't on the list or you don't contact that coach now doesn't mean it won't become an option in the future. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the factors for families is cost. If you go out of state you have to pay out of state tuition. If a school gives your kid in-state tuition rates, then in effect it is a scholarship and counts towards their allotments. I live in Georgia so if my daughter stays in state she gets whatever the college gives her plus our state academic funding called the HOPE scholarship. Between the two, she wouldn’t pay anything. It doesn’t make sense to go out of state unless you have a bunch of money or just didn’t get any offers in state.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the information everyone has shared. Yes Golfing Dog we live in Georgia as well. i have explained to him the benefit of instate tuition. He wants to go to Oklahoma State ( thanks Ricky Fowler ) But in reality he knows that is a long shot. we will make a list of everything listed above. 

14 hours ago, jhford00 said:

Coming from someone who has experienced golf at a collegiate level, I can agree with a lot of what's been said here already. Location, academics, cost, climate but something that stuck out to me personally was the coach and other teammates. You could be at a top D1 program, with the nicest practice facility and be miserable. I witnessed a couple of older high school teammates go through similar scenarios which ultimately ended up with them quitting or transferring and/or both. 

When my parents and I went to visit schools we made sure to spend time with the coach off campus, on several occasions I went to visit the guys on the team, sometimes to play a round and hangout for the day and a couple of over nighters. It helps to for them to see what life is like in the dorms/apts without the adults around. Your kid could be as straight laced as they come and the rest of the team is partying hardcore thurs-sun every week. Not an ideal spot for them even if its top D1 program and their dream school. 

One last thing, he/she must be ok with the possibility of not making the travel squad if qualifying doesn't go their way. It can be a harsh reality when you don't make it and the rest of the team leaves for the tournament while you are stuck behind. Thats a real conversation that needs to happen between parent/child. Are you ok with being in so and so town while everyones gone? Hopefully they say, yes its going to motivate me to work harder. 

Couldn't agree more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I think planning and thinking about the process in 8th grade is a good idea but reaching out to coaches as an 8th grader won’t really do any good with the modern recruiting rules, which is a good thing.  So much will change in the next 3 years that your plan now probably won’t mean much then but still good to have on. They can’t contact you back as an 8th grader and unless your son is very highly ranked I think it’s better to hold off and get noticed based on stellar play at 15 and have their first impression be the best one.  If a kid is on a coaches radar at a young age it’s easy to get type casted and the coach form an opinion that’s tough to change even if they get a lot longer/better.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iteachgolf said:

I think planning and thinking about the process in 8th grade is a good idea but reaching out to coaches as an 8th grader won’t really do any good with the modern recruiting rules, which is a good thing.  So much will change in the next 3 years that your plan now probably won’t mean much then but still good to have on. They can’t contact you back as an 8th grader and unless your son is very highly ranked I think it’s better to hold off and get noticed based on stellar play at 15 and have their first impression be the best one.  If a kid is on a coaches radar at a young age it’s easy to get type casted and the coach form an opinion that’s tough to change even if they get a lot longer/better.  

I couldn't agree more.  Something must be wrong with me today.  I am agreeing with everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, Tannerbug33 said:

Thanks for all the information everyone has shared. Yes Golfing Dog we live in Georgia as well. i have explained to him the benefit of instate tuition. He wants to go to Oklahoma State ( thanks Ricky Fowler ) But in reality he knows that is a long shot. we will make a list of everything listed above. 

I live in GA as well, graduated from HS 2 years ago and went through recruiting, played college last year but no more. If you have any questions about the process or schools in GA let me know, I'd enjoy it.

I would definitely look at academics, location, and price just to start. Looking at the golf team, I looked at average scores, but also how many guys would be leaving when I would come in (can't really do that in 8th grade yet). I remember top D1 schools (UGA specifically) already having guys on their radar freshman year and into sophomore year. If you want to go there, you typically have to be good early; that surprised me then. Getting in contact with coaches as early as possible is also good. I talked on the phone with a couple coaches very early in my search, and it was good practice even if we didn't talk much after that. If you do, it's a good chance to ask what they're looking for as far as tournaments and scores, grades, anything really. Just as a last note, coaches love good grades and test scores. Usually it means its a good kid, but they can also get merit scholarships. Makes it easier to recruit at every level, especially D3 schools.

Edited by tbrumbeloe13
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My youngest plays D1 and was recruited by some large schools that surprised me.  They’ll spend more time with the coaches around than they’ll realize, get to know the coaches.  “After hours” they’ll spend more time with the team, know who is going to be there before you get there and who is being recruited in your class.  You’ll want and need a good fit for your son to do his best in school and with golf.  Figure out where you’re interested (school, majors, golf program philosophy, etc.), in State is cheaper, emailing coaches is key as most coaches don’t want to waste time and resources recruiting someone who really isn’t interested in their program.  Good grades help as others note.  Your state’s golf association and their people are a resource coaches will use for information about your child. The morning of the day NCAA recruiting opened up for my son’s recruiting class, his cellphone started receiving texts from coaches starting at 7:30, be prepared, and enjoy.  We weren’t, but we were excited. 

I agree that fit is key as others have said.  With a good fit and the support your son will receive in college, both academic and golf, he will do well with both.  He’ll be busier than he’s ever been, but a good fit will allow him to enjoy it and put your mind at ease.  

Edited by NCDuffer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCDuffer said:

My youngest plays D1 and was recruited by some large schools that surprised me.  They’ll spend more time with the coaches around than they’ll realize, get to know the coaches.  “After hours” they’ll spend more time with the team, know who is going to be there before you get there and who is being recruited in your class.  You’ll want and need a good fit for your son to do his best in school and with golf.  Figure out where you’re interested (school, majors, golf program philosophy, etc.), in State is cheaper, emailing coaches is key as most coaches don’t want to waste time and resources recruiting someone who really isn’t interested in their program.  Good grades help as others note.  Your state’s golf association and their people are a resource coaches will use for information about your child. The morning of the day NCAA recruiting opened up for my son’s recruiting class, his cellphone started receiving texts from coaches starting at 7:30, be prepared, and enjoy.  We weren’t, but we were excited. 

I agree that fit is key as others have said.  With a good fit and the support your son will receive in college, both academic and golf, he will do well with both.  He’ll be busier than he’s ever been, but a good fit will allow him to enjoy it and put your mind at ease.  

Just curious--when did your youngest get on the radar of the colleges, and how?

Golf seems more like gymnastics recruiting than it does basketball (and certainly, football) in that coaches may have a good idea of who they want to recruit by the time the golfer is a 13/14 rather than at 15 and 16...?  Of course, there will be late bloomers and exceptions.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, jhford00 said:

One last thing, he/she must be ok with the possibility of not making the travel squad if qualifying doesn't go their way. It can be a harsh reality when you don't make it and the rest of the team leaves for the tournament while you are stuck behind. That's a real conversation that needs to happen between parent/child. Are you ok with being in so and so town while everyone's gone? Hopefully they say, yes its going to motivate me to work harder. 

Depending on the kid's goals you should want to play at the most competitive school even if it means not playing.  You're never going to get better if qualifying is a layup for your kid because the rest of the team sucks.  It just means they're going to show up at a tournament and get wooped up on anyway.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

Depending on the kid's goals you should want to play at the most competitive school even if it means not playing.  You're never going to get better if qualifying is a layup for your kid because the rest of the team sucks.  It just means they're going to show up at a tournament and get wooped up on anyway.

This is a great point. College golf is so much different from the major college sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) in that there is no draft for those looking to go pro. You can put up great numbers at a DII or NAIA school and it means absolutely nothing when it comes to playing professionally. 

If your goal is to become a pro you should be looking to find a school that fits your needs but also offers the highest level of competition possible even if that means you aren't going to walk in day 1 and start playing. Of course not everyone is going to have the option to play at a top level school, but if you do have that option vs being able to be the de facto #1 immediately at a low level program I'd go with the top level program. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

I 100% disagree with this.  Go where you can play.

I think this works if your goal isn't to try and play professionally after school. But for those who want to try and go pro we'll have to agree to disagree. It's really easy to get a false sense of confidence when you're winning low level tournaments. If you're wanting to try and go pro your goal should be to compete against the best of the best week in and week out. Otherwise you'll have no idea how your game stacks up against really good players.

I knew too many kids who breezed through junior golf and/or JUCO (if they weren't initially recruited to a DI school) because the level of competition in the tournaments they were playing wasn't great. Those of them that eventually made it to a DI school couldn't make the top 5, never played in a college tournament, and most ended up quitting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I think this works if your goal isn't to try and play professionally after school. But for those who want to try and go pro we'll have to agree to disagree. It's really easy to get a false sense of confidence when you're winning low level tournaments. If you're wanting to try and go pro your goal should be to compete against the best of the best week in and week out. Otherwise you'll have no idea how your game stacks up against really good players.

I knew too many kids who breezed through junior golf and/or JUCO (if they weren't initially recruited to a DI school) because the level of competition in the tournaments they were playing wasn't great. Those of them that eventually made it to a DI school couldn't make the top 5, never played in a college tournament, and most ended up quitting.

This post doesn't even refer to what Leezer is talking about.  I agree with this.

Edited by heavy_hitter

4 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Golf is an individual sport.  You play against the course, not other players as in Football or Basketball.  If you are second or third team in Football or Basketball, you are still going to travel and at some point still get some occasional minutes.  It is not that way in college golf.

When selecting a college, select the highest level you can play and go to a school you can play at.  There is NO reason to go to a school and never play in a collegiate golf tournament.  Go somewhere that you KNOW you will have the opportunity to play.  Not saying avoid competition, but there is no reason to go play at Oklahoma State if you know you are never going to make the playing roster.  The 8th guy on the Oklahoma State roster is going to play every match at Coastal Carolina.  He will still be challenged in practice and will be more challenged in every tournament he plays in.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I never said to not play at a competitive school. If you look at all the guys who made it on KFT, PGA, it doesn't matter where you go.

Jared Wolfe is on KFT, Murray State alumni, Zalatoris-Wake Forest, Davis Riley-Bama. know what they all have in common? All top 5 on money list. Out of those colleges we all know where the best place to go is. 

If you're good enough to play at that level you will make it. Simple as that. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jhford00 said:

I never said to not play at a competitive school. If you look at all the guys who made it on KFT, PGA, it doesn't matter where you go.

Jared Wolfe is on KFT, Murray State alumni, Zalatoris-Wake Forest, Davis Riley-Bama. know what they all have in common? All top 5 on money list. Out of those colleges we all know where the best place to go is. 

Exactly.  I couldn't imagine how miserable a kid would be not playing golf at a school, but having to attend practice and workouts for 4 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jhford00 said:

And with the addition of PGA Tour University, which only counts D1 players, the spaces for outliers (D2 / D3 standouts) are thinning out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Exactly.  I couldn't imagine how miserable a kid would be not playing golf at a school, but having to attend practice and workouts for 4 years.

If I practiced playing basketball against Lebron with his knowledge, resources and notoriety versus my local high school standout I'm pretty sure I'd get better faster with Lebron.  Big fish in a small pond will forever be in that small pond unless he gets hooked and filleted by @kekoa

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

And with the addition of PGA Tour University, which only counts D1 players, the spaces for outliers (D2 / D3 standouts) are thinning out.

Are there really enough players being given Status to even worry about it?  I don't see PGA Tour University as even being a factor.

Who is eligible for PGA TOUR University?

Players eligible for the PGA TOUR University Ranking List are NCAA Division I golfers who complete a minimum of four years in college, or who complete three years, but deliver intent and proof of early college graduation.

How many players from the final PGA TOUR University Ranking List qualify for the Korn Ferry Tour?

The top five finishers from the final Official PGA TOUR University Ranking List will receive Korn Ferry Tour membership and will be exempt into all open, full-field events beginning the week following the conclusion of the NCAA Division I Men’s National Championship through the conclusion of the Korn Ferry Tour regular season. The top five finishers will also be exempt into the Final Stage of that year’s Korn Ferry Tour Qualifying Tournament.

How many players from the final PGA TOUR University Ranking List qualify for PGA TOUR Latinoamérica, Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada and/or PGA TOUR Series – China?

Finishers 6–15 will receive membership onto one of the PGA TOUR’s International Tours: PGA TOUR Latinoamérica, Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada or PGA TOUR Series – China, and will be exempt into all open, full-field events beginning the week following the conclusion of the NCAA Division I Men’s National Championship through the conclusion of the current season.  Finishers 6-15 will also be exempt into Second Stage of that year’s Korn Ferry Tour Qualifying Tournament.

2 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Are there really enough players being given Status to even worry about it?  I don't see PGA Tour University as even being a factor.

Who is eligible for PGA TOUR University?

Players eligible for the PGA TOUR University Ranking List are NCAA Division I golfers who complete a minimum of four years in college, or who complete three years, but deliver intent and proof of early college graduation.

How many players from the final PGA TOUR University Ranking List qualify for the Korn Ferry Tour?

The top five finishers from the final Official PGA TOUR University Ranking List will receive Korn Ferry Tour membership and will be exempt into all open, full-field events beginning the week following the conclusion of the NCAA Division I Men’s National Championship through the conclusion of the Korn Ferry Tour regular season. The top five finishers will also be exempt into the Final Stage of that year’s Korn Ferry Tour Qualifying Tournament.

How many players from the final PGA TOUR University Ranking List qualify for PGA TOUR Latinoamérica, Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada and/or PGA TOUR Series – China?

Finishers 6–15 will receive membership onto one of the PGA TOUR’s International Tours: PGA TOUR Latinoamérica, Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada or PGA TOUR Series – China, and will be exempt into all open, full-field events beginning the week following the conclusion of the NCAA Division I Men’s National Championship through the conclusion of the current season.  Finishers 6-15 will also be exempt into Second Stage of that year’s Korn Ferry Tour Qualifying Tournament.

15 less spots than last year...

2 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If I practiced playing basketball against Lebron with his knowledge, resources and notoriety versus my local high school standout I'm pretty sure I'd get better faster with Lebron.  Big fish in a small pond will forever be in that small pond unless he gets hooked and filleted by @kekoa

Lebron is gifted athletically with a 6'9" defensive ends frame.  He has also benefited in a league where players don't play defense.  I don't buy your argument one bit.  MJ is still the goat and didn't benefit from playing with kids better than him.  He benefited from hard work. 

• Like 1