Clubs Ordered - Mizuno

ryoung035

I custom ordered a set of MP 20 HMB/MMC combo set irons last week through Golftec and was wondering if anyone has been able to cancel an order.  I am really not wanting to wait 2-3 months on irons...

I have come across a few sets on Ebay for a little cheaper but doesn't have the shafts that I ordered. I got fitted for the Project X 6.5's and all the sets I see on ebay are mostly KBS $ Taper 120's.  Are there major differences in the two?  

I was super pumped about my custom set but like I said, not sure if I can wait 2-3 months.  If I'm not able to cancel my order, I'll stick with it..  Wanted to hear your guys input.

Wow.. Yea I have been reading and some people didn't get theirs for 3 months!! I am heading to Scottsdale on a week long golf trip on February 25th and really would like to have my new clubs since I already sold my old irons..  I ordered on January 4th so I'm hopeful I'll get them in less than 7 weeks..  

9 minutes ago, ryoung035 said:

That's why I'm debating on cancelling my order (if I can) and get a set on ebay from Global Golf.. and just hope the KBS $ taper 120 or the Modus 120 shafts are close enough to the Project X 6.5

If you were fit into PX6.5 I would say you will not jive well with $ Taper and Modus 120.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

10 minutes ago, ryoung035 said:

That's why I'm debating on cancelling my order (if I can) and get a set on ebay from Global Golf.. and just hope the KBS $ taper 120 or the Modus 120 shafts are close enough to the Project X 6.5

Are you talking px 6.5 or px lz 6.5?  If you're talking px 6.5 those are very stout.  Very stiff tip, actually stiff throughout, takes an aggressive swinger.

People can weigh in but kbs tour $ taper and modus will be softer.

Just now, Nick_E said:

Are you talking px 6.5 or px lz 6.5?  If you're talking px 6.5 those are very stout.  Very stiff tip, actually stiff throughout, takes an aggressive swinger.

People can weigh in but kbs tour $ taper and modus will be softer.

You also don't see many px 6.5 sets for sell because most people can't play them.

Yes the Project X 6.5, not the LZ.  My last irons had a 95g shaft in them and my dispersion was awful.  In my fitting, we started in a 105g shaft then worked up to the 125g (6.5 PX).  My swing speed for the 7i was 93-95mph so I guess I'm a pretty aggressive swinger.  My dispersion went from 12y offline with the XP 95g shafts to 1.3y in the PX 6.5

1 minute ago, Nick_E said:

You also don't see many px 6.5 sets for sell because most people can't play them.

I hope I made the right move in getting these.  In my fitting, they felt great and wasn't crazy heavy.  But my one question I have is when I swing 85-90% on certain shots, is that going to affect it?

1 minute ago, ryoung035 said:

I hope I made the right move in getting these.  In my fitting, they felt great and wasn't crazy heavy.  But my one question I have is when I swing 85-90% on certain shots, is that going to affect it?

Its not the weight.  The weight of 6.5 is 125.  So its on heavy side, but its the feel.  Unless you put a heavy load on shaft it can feel like a board.  If you have enough speed and tempo and that's what you fit into then wouldn't worry about it.  The Mizuno optimizer sometimes can recommend stiffer than needed.  If I was you I'd go back and hit the 6.0s.

I wouldn't buy a random shaft though without hitting it.  They have kbs tour and modus 120 available at Mizuno fitters.   Should have a completely different feel.  I like px if you want a low ball flight, very stable tip, and lowish spin.

If you’re swing 7i with max effort at 93-95 mph, I would probably be inclined to say the 6.5 is going to be a little stiffer than you need. But if this is a normal swing speed for you then 6.5 is probably ideal. That said, your dispersion with 6.5 is amazing so it’s a toss up.

Edited by noodle3872

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

15 minutes ago, ryoung035 said:

Yes the Project X 6.5, not the LZ.  My last irons had a 95g shaft in them and my dispersion was awful.  In my fitting, we started in a 105g shaft then worked up to the 125g (6.5 PX).  My swing speed for the 7i was 93-95mph so I guess I'm a pretty aggressive swinger.  My dispersion went from 12y offline with the XP 95g shafts to 1.3y in the PX 6.5

Ball speed is in the area.   Not trying to scare you away from them. They're the number 2 shaft on tour for a reason.  

Sounds like you did your homework.  

If you have any questions go back and hit them again.  Hit half shots, 3/4 shots.  See how they respond.  If you're good then don't worry. 

Can always try 6.0 and hardstep them too.  

Edited by Nick_E
  • Like 1

Mizuno is taking 5-6 weeks on any custom orders that place through them.  I don't know if Golftec can order direct from Mizuno.  Mizuno is only at half staff in their customs department right now.  If you were fitted for PX 6.5 and got that accurate with them verses anything else then I would wait for them.  Now Ping G410 irons are running 2-3 months.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:46 PM, ryoung035 said:

I wouldn’t worry about the flex honestly. I was recommended all X-Stiff 130 gram shafts C-Taper, $-Taper, KBS TOUR 130x ,DG x100 , then PX 6.5.....etc! 

I ended up in what gave me the best feel, and dispersion, which was a Modus 105s Hs/x1 at D5. The overall weight/swingweight , and feel produced the best numbers for me. Everyone has an optimum weight for their swing. Sounds like 95 gram was too light and 125 gave good numbers. Perhaps the 120grams  may be within the weight window for you. 👍

On the Mizuno shaft Optimizer I was (from memory rounding) 93.50mph swing speed

5 Tempo

3.5 toe down 

4.5 kick angle 

4.0 release factor

I was coming from XP115 s300 in my last irons, and was never fit for them, but I did like them.

At the fitting, the  shafts I liked best for feel, which also gave the best numbers for me were. 
Modus 105s

DG 105 x100/s300

TT Elevate Tour

Not that I couldn’t play the C-Taper 130, they had good dispersion, but felt like I had to jump on everything, and I’m arthritic plus not getting any younger! 

if the $-Tapers are the same weight, I wouldn’t see an issue going with them. You may find that you like the feel of the $-Tapers better. 

The Modus 120 are quite different than the PX.  The KBS $-Taper are closer to the PX than a modus 120. If heavier and tighter gives you better dispersion, Modus 120 may not be as good a fit as $tapers.  

tell us more about your swing other than swing speed. You may have been fit into the PX for other than swing speed ...Tempo/Transition...etc! 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Added info

Here are my snapshots from my club fitting.  Let me know what you guys think!  Like I said in the post, got fitted for the Project X 6.5 and went with the HMB's in the 4-6 and MMC in the 7-PW..  

First is the HMB and second is the MMC.  My current gamer is the Callaway Rogue irons with 95g stiff shaft.  

HMB.PNG

MMC.PNG

@ryoung035 I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I got fit for a driver via Golftec about two months ago. The overall experience was great, but at the end the guy told me that they were having shipping delays with a lot of companies so if I needed it sooner it might be worth trying to order it from somewhere else. 

I ended up taking his advice, ordered it via the OEM, and got it in about 2 weeks vs the 4-6 weeks he estimated via Golftec.

I noticed that you had a lower launch with the lighter weight irons and less spin. I’m sure one of the Technical guys like Stuart or Howard may be able to point to how this is possible. 

I experienced the same dynamic as far as launch went. I had launched the Modus 105s Lower at 18.5 than the C-Taper 130x at 19.2 average, so almost 1* 

My spin was around 500 less with the C-Taper at 6300rpm average, while my spin rate was at 68-6900rpm with the Modus at a lower launch with a premium ball. 

Unless you have a very late release I would gather the difference between the $-Taper 120 and PX 6.5 is not going to be much as far as launch and spin go. You may find you can optimize either one for launch and spin with something as simple as a ball change.  

I’d go somewhere that has the $-taper to hit, and not worry about the club head it’s in, or your numbers, unless it’s an MMC and you have a couple of premium balls to choose from. If you like the feel of the $-Taper, I’d bet they would produce as well as the PX 6.5 will in all honesty. 

I went from one spectrum C-Taper (heavy and x-Stiff) to a Modus 105s (light and active) and didn’t see too much difference that a ball change or loft tweak couldn’t solve. 

BTW What ball were you hitting when you did this club test? 

I got way different numbers (3-500rpm less) from the precept range ball PGASS had in their bay, than what I play Bridgestone BX. 

12 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I noticed that you had a lower launch with the lighter weight irons and less spin. I’m sure one of the Technical guys like Stuart or Howard may be able to point to how this is possible. 

I experienced the same dynamic as far as launch went. I had launched the Modus 105s Lower at 18.5 than the C-Taper 130x at 19.2 average, so almost 1* 

My spin was around 500 less with the C-Taper at 6300rpm average, while my spin rate was at 68-6900rpm with the Modus at a lower launch with a premium ball. 

Unless you have a very late release I would gather the difference between the $-Taper 120 and PX 6.5 is not going to be much as far as launch and spin go. You may find you can optimize either one for launch and spin with something as simple as a ball change.  

I’d go somewhere that has the $-taper to hit, and not worry about the club head it’s in, or your numbers, unless it’s an MMC and you have a couple of premium balls to choose from. If you like the feel of the $-Taper, I’d bet they would produce as well as the PX 6.5 will in all honesty. 

I went from one spectrum C-Taper (heavy and x-Stiff) to a Modus 105s (light and active) and didn’t see too much difference that a ball change or loft tweak couldn’t solve. 

BTW What ball were you hitting when you did this club test? 

I got way different numbers (3-500rpm less) from the precept range ball PGASS had in their bay, than what I play Bridgestone BX. 

Thanks for that info..  I was hitting a TP5X ball.. Also, I believe the reason the launch/spin was lower with my old clubs was due to the fact the Rogues were stronger lofted.  I believe the 7i in the Rogues are 33 degree and the Mizunos are 32 degree..

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ryoung035 said:

Thanks for that info..  I was hitting a TP5X ball.. Also, I believe the reason the launch/spin was lower with my old clubs was due to the fact the Rogues were stronger lofted.  I believe the 7i in the Rogues are 33 degree and the Mizunos are 32 degree..

Rogue 30* and Mizuno 32* 

that explains the lower launch and lower spin rate 👍 

I would guess you just find the center of the face more consistently with the heavier weight. Your launch was within reason for a 2* difference, but spin was still low with a 2* difference on the 95 gram shaft. Probably toe strikes and pronounced draws I’d guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I’d hit the $tapers  and see if you like the feel. If you want to compare numbers to the PX 6.5,  then find a 32* lofted club and bring your TP5X. Loft for loft you should see about the same numbers as the MMC within reason between manufacturers in the same iron category. If the loft is 2* difference then you may see around 400rpm difference at your swing speed, then you can compare to the PX 6.5. 

1 hour ago, ryoung035 said:

And CPM is 325... my fitter at golftec didn’t explain what these meant.. can you explain?

C-6 is just a swing weight measurement.  It’s light. I play mine at D5

325CPM is a measurement as well (cycles per minute)  I’ll provide a pic to show differences between shafts..... 

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shaft-frequency-an-absolute-measurement-for-shaft-matching/

these are from a Titleist fit chart 

they are regular shafts, so not an exact 1-1 measurement, but you can see the difference between them 

I included your past shaft. They will CPM lower in this chart, than they would if they were stiff or x-stiff flex 

I included the KBS tour and C-Taper because the $taper isn’t on the chart and it fits between the KBS Tour and C-Taper 

This should give you a basic overview anyways. 

F6F24692-B1C0-4EED-8F7F-1087ADB4B384.png

D26A55C7-6961-4A3D-9060-A9F05C30913B.jpeg

F928BFA2-F48E-49ED-8EC8-86E97EC87121.jpeg

7324F5DD-97B3-48CA-B7B3-E9AF1BAF4C38.jpeg

Wow thanks for doing that. That’s good stuff! What is the stock swing weight in these irons? I’m not sure why he has C6 if that’s not the stock weight. I’ll have to call Monday and check into that. Because the only thing that changed was the shafts and 1 degree flat. Never discussed anything pertaining to swing weight.