Best Course for The Money You Have Played?

15 hours ago, azmx said:

You asked why locals don't like it so I'm only saying this because you asked: It is mostly because it is an absolutely terrible golf course from a design perspective.  I mean, it has some very pretty views but other than that I can't think of anything that is even a little good about it.  The 1st and 3rd holes have two of the worst green designs I have ever seen but the whole course is a design mess.  

My answer would be Enniscrone.

Respect your opinion completely. For me, maybe it's the elevation changes, cactus, desert setting, all the things we don't get in flat Illinois.  Perspective is a funny thing. The green I'd challenge is the par 3 second but don't remember anything about 1 or 3 that I didn't like. Again, we've probably played the course no more than 5 times but the conditions were great, we were treated famously and have a lot of stories from those trips.  Now if you said the range sucked, I'm with you completely.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I knot the title says best course, but as far as best experience for the money, I'd have to say playing Banff Springs in Alberta. It costs around $100 US dollars and it was just unreal the views, and

Pacific Grove muni for $18 twilight. Front 9 is a warm-up for the back, which has the same views as Spyglass, MPCC and Cypress. The back 9 is a really fun, playable links that is always in good condit

As the guest of my caddie from a few days before I played Royal Dornoch for 15 or 20 pounds - would have been free but I checked inside the day before to see what he would be charged and covered it. S

Posted Images

Off the top of my head I'd have to say Black Mesa in New Mexico. For $60 it was an absolute steal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: Black Mesa

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech...I think we paid a $35 twilight rate and a noonish rate of $45 and I felt both were bargains.  Fantastic views from the clubhouse and the course itself was in nice shape.   Good variety of holes with a smart routing.  Staff in the proshop were spot on.  My wife  and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 rounds there. 

Pete Dye River Course | Virginia Tech | Radford Golf

• Like 2
On 1/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, doctorgriffo said:

Pacific Grove muni for $18 twilight. Front 9 is a warm-up for the back, which has the same views as Spyglass, MPCC and Cypress. The back 9 is a really fun, playable links that is always in good condition. 

I love, absolutely love PG.  I’ve been saying this for years on this board that PG might be the best bang-for-your-buck course in the entire state.  The only other gem that even comes somewhat close is unfortunately closed down now, the Tom Doak-renovated Aetna Springs GC.  

I don’t agree that PG has views that rival CPC but I get what you’re saying.  I’m very curious how the new TW design at Pebble Beach is going to play.  Supposed to open sometime next month and hopefully the green fee will make it another California best bang for your buck.  

1 hour ago, sharkiesj said:

I don’t agree that PG has views that rival CPC but I get what you’re saying.

Same view as in you are looking at the same bit of coastline.... nothing compares with the view you get when coming off 14 at Cypress - 15 and 16 are two of the most stunning golf holes anywhere. 

playing 36 at bandon is quite frankly a bargain. you can play pac dunes and bandon in the same day for $450 total. 

Taylormade Sim Max 9.5*- Graphite Design AD-BB 6x
Taylormade Sim Max 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 7x
Callaway Apex 20* - UST Mamiya Recoil Proto Hybrid - 100x
Taylormade 790 4i - Graphite Design AD-DI 95x 
Titleist 718 AP2 5-P - DG TI Onyx x100
Titleist SM7 50, 55 & 60 - DG TI Onyx s400
Scotty Cameron Select Newport - 35"

Best deal for me is playing The Heritage Club in Pawley's Island. I am not sure how much of a deal I get because my uncle is a member, but I am typically charged $30-$35 for 18 holes and a cart. That includes a full breakfast/drinks and then post round, you get 2 beers and any sandwich off the menu. Ridiculous.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1
On 1/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, daniel32293 said:

playing 36 at bandon is quite frankly a bargain. you can play pac dunes and bandon in the same day for $450 total. 

In December and January you can do it for 150$ if staying onsite. I did that this past December. I don't think that deal can be beat. Just gambling a little on the weather, but it was great for me. 

3 hours ago, tjl48 said:

In December and January you can do it for 150$ if staying onsite. I did that this past December. I don't think that deal can be beat. Just gambling a little on the weather, but it was great for me. 

I just went in September, weather could not have been better. I paid under $2,200 for 36 holes of golf, my share of lodging, food, merch, caddies and airfare from the east coast. That is the first and only time I have ever been under budget on a golf trip! 

Taylormade Sim Max 9.5*- Graphite Design AD-BB 6x
Taylormade Sim Max 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 7x
Callaway Apex 20* - UST Mamiya Recoil Proto Hybrid - 100x
Taylormade 790 4i - Graphite Design AD-DI 95x 
Titleist 718 AP2 5-P - DG TI Onyx x100
Titleist SM7 50, 55 & 60 - DG TI Onyx s400
Scotty Cameron Select Newport - 35"

17 minutes ago, daniel32293 said:

I just went in September, weather could not have been better. I paid under $2,200 for 36 holes of golf, my share of lodging, food, merch, caddies and airfare from the east coast. That is the first and only time I have ever been under budget on a golf trip! 

My trip was <1500$ all in. Played 6 rounds at the big courses plus a round at the Preserve. MSP to PDX was only 200$ and a rental car was only 100$ for the 5 days. I already have a return trip booked for next January.   

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, DavePelz4 said:

With you on Dinosaur Mountain! Have only played it a few times and love the course. But...most of the locals are not fans and I've never understood that.

I also agree on DM.  Awesome elevation changes and there are rabbits (hares?) everywhere.  Very peaceful + scenic.

• Like 1

My set-up:
Bag - Sun Mountain MPB
Driver - Ping G400 MAX with Grafalloy Blue (White)

3 Wood - Ryoma F3 / Matrix
5 Wood - Ping G400

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 hybrid
Irons - 2015 OnOff Kuro 5-PW irons with Nippon Modus 3 shafts
Wedges - Honma TW Wedges 52 / 56 /60
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 33"
Shoes - Ecco Cage
Ball - Srixon Z Star

Hard to get too but I would say Wilderness Golf Club in Montana.  Perfect conditions, amazing views and excellent track.   

Not sure on rates now as website is different and can not find them.   I played 36 and paid roughly $60 per round with replay rate.

https://www.wildernessclubmontana.com/resort-activities/golf

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Cabot Cliffs $100

Muirfield Village free

Royal Melbourne free

Bethpage Black $45

The Old Course £200 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

On 1/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, sharkiesj said:

I love, absolutely love PG.  I’ve been saying this for years on this board that PG might be the best bang-for-your-buck course in the entire state.  The only other gem that even comes somewhat close is unfortunately closed down now, the Tom Doak-renovated Aetna Springs GC.  

I don’t agree that PG has views that rival CPC but I get what you’re saying.  I’m very curious how the new TW design at Pebble Beach is going to play.  Supposed to open sometime next month and hopefully the green fee will make it another California best bang for your buck.  

The new TW designed course - Located directly between the Pebble Beach Pro Shop and Golf Academy, the new facility will include a short course comprised of nine par-3 holes at 670 yds. and the longest hole is 106 yds., a 20,000-square-foot putting course, and a food and beverage venue featuring a full kitchen and bar, and the resort’s largest outdoor patio positioned for expansive views.

Pinnacle Point Golf Club in Mossel Bay South Africa!    My wife is from there and her family is still!   Before children we went wild playing these courses in the area.  I'd say pound for pound the best golfing mecca that no one knows!!!!

Google Garden Route Golf.   at an exchange rate of 15-1 $125 for this course is a steal!  Best views you may ever see!

https://pinnaclepointestate.co.za/golf-club/

This will sound completely at odds with this thread, but Pebble Beach.

Yeah, I know.  Stupid expensive.  Even more so with a caddy.  The thing is, a couple years ago I was playing particularly well and I sucked it up and paid the tariff.  It remains the most memorable round of golf I've played.  Walking in the footsteps of legends.  Remembering shots from televised tournaments.  Hitting the best iron shot of my life on #4.  Tom Watson's plaque.  The tee shot on 18.

So "Best Course For The Money" I think I got more per dollar spent than any other round I've played particularly knowing it would probably be a once in a lifetime deal.

Phred

• Like 4

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

8 hours ago, Phreddy said:

This will sound completely at odds with this thread, but Pebble Beach.

Yeah, I know.  Stupid expensive.  Even more so with a caddy.  The thing is, a couple years ago I was playing particularly well and I sucked it up and paid the tariff.  It remains the most memorable round of golf I've played.  Walking in the footsteps of legends.  Remembering shots from televised tournaments.  Hitting the best iron shot of my life on #4.  Tom Watson's plaque.  The tee shot on 18.

So "Best Course For The Money" I think I got more per dollar spent than any other round I've played particularly knowing it would probably be a once in a lifetime deal.

Phred

Not a popular view, Phred, but in a way you are dead right. PB is a totally memorable course. I might say the same about St Andrews. There you are standing on the first tee being watched, trying not to duff your tee shot, or go in Hell Bunker, or hit the Road Hole fairway and walking over the Swilcan bridge up to the famous 18th green. It's all quite magical.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, elwhippy said:

PGA Catalunya in Spain. World class venue and it was no more than £40 when I played it. Southerness in Scotland. Men's 36. About £20. Championship standard links course. 

Loved Catalunya, went there 2019, if you go there check out D'Aro Mas Nou about 30mins away, incredible golf course, super value and super friendly. 

Map of Courses Played - https://bit.ly/2Qy3ScY