Best Course for The Money You Have Played?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I knot the title says best course, but as far as best experience for the money, I'd have to say playing Banff Springs in Alberta. It costs around $100 US dollars and it was just unreal the views, and

Pacific Grove muni for $18 twilight. Front 9 is a warm-up for the back, which has the same views as Spyglass, MPCC and Cypress. The back 9 is a really fun, playable links that is always in good condit

As the guest of my caddie from a few days before I played Royal Dornoch for 15 or 20 pounds - would have been free but I checked inside the day before to see what he would be charged and covered it. S

Posted Images

I always like Bayonet/Black Horse in Monterey.  Not dirt cheap but you can get golfnow times for around $80-$90.  Great views and both courses are first class tests of golf.  Very high value per $$ IMO.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed - MMT60/S
TEE EXS 15* - Tensei CK Blue/S
Callaway Apex Pro 20*/23* - MMT80/S
W/S C300 Forged 5-9  KBS Tour 105/S
W/S Staff Model 52/56/60  DGS300
TM Patina Juno

• 2 weeks later...

Charleston Muni...$5 after 3 for students.   That was a while ago, but great for a first time golfer.  Heard they redid it, hopefully still kept the same feel, just better golf conditions.  I hope they also made a better way to get across Maybank Hwy, that was treacherous the more popular Kiawah got.  

Locals at Stono Ferry got like $38 at the time as well.   Shot first round under 80 there.  

I've never been mad at the $ for Ocean Course or Sawgrass... discounts, yes, but had so much fun, love Pete Dye, and never skip a chance to play his courses.  

Achastsa up in North Ga?  That was a fun track, I didn't pay but it's in BFE, couldn't be too expensive.  

PING G425 LST 10* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G425 Max 5Wd 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING G425 Max 7Wd 20* Fuji Motore F3 70

PING i500 3-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 46* DVR/52* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

World Woods Pine Barrens - $50 1pm "twilight" rate. One of my all time favorite courses.

Redlands Mesa in Colorado - think I payed $30 bucks and got 36 holes as a junior lol.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 - Diamana D+ 70x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD ADVR 7x

hybrid: Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid 19 - Tensei Pro White 90x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm7 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 36"

Ball: Z star XV

South Carolina has a program called the Passport that lets SC residents and landowners get special rates on all the courses down there for $50/year.

Caledonia at $57 (normal rate: $225) and TPC Myrtle Beach at $49 (normal rate: $175) were both incredible courses at pretty much any price, but hard to beat at the discounted price. Oyster Bay in Sunset Beach NC, while not as nice, has spectacular scenery, and at only $30 makes the list.

• Like 1

$35 at Southern Pines and I had the course to myself.  

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M6 9* (PX Evenflow Black 70 6.0)
3W: Ping i20 (Ping TFC 707F S)
3H: Work in Progress 

4I-GW: Maltby PTM Forged (KBS Tour S+ Black)
54, 60: Maltby TSW Forged (Nippon Modus 125W)
Putter: Evnroll ER5 Black
Ball: Taylormade TP5x
Bag: Taylormade Flextech

On 2/4/2021 at 3:54 PM, ajgoodal.704 said:

$35 at Southern Pines and I had the course to myself.  

My wife and I played there a few years ago in late Feb for $40/each and we saw maybe 3 other twosomes.  Such a cool course and a great time.  Would love to get back down there sometime and while I'm glad it's under new management and will get some TLC I'm afraid it will never be a bargain again...

For me - 

My yearly membership fees at Royal Aberdeen Golf Club.

or

21 dollars winter twilight(after 1pm) at Memorial Park Golf Club in Houston.

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
On 2/6/2021 at 11:40 PM, NCLancer said:

My wife and I played there a few years ago in late Feb for $40/each and we saw maybe 3 other twosomes.  Such a cool course and a great time.  Would love to get back down there sometime and while I'm glad it's under new management and will get some TLC I'm afraid it will never be a bargain again...

I've been following the work that they are doing to rehab the course and it looks really good.  I'm afraid you are right and that it won't be such a bargain anymore, but I'll be more than happy to pay extra to see the changes next time I'm down that way.  I got a GC for Tobacco Road for Christmas that will bring me back that way sometime this year.  

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M6 9* (PX Evenflow Black 70 6.0)
3W: Ping i20 (Ping TFC 707F S)
3H: Work in Progress 

4I-GW: Maltby PTM Forged (KBS Tour S+ Black)
54, 60: Maltby TSW Forged (Nippon Modus 125W)
Putter: Evnroll ER5 Black
Ball: Taylormade TP5x
Bag: Taylormade Flextech

Little Aston Golf Club is less than 10 miles from The Belfry and in my opinion far surpasses the Brabazon as a golf course in the humble opinion of myself and the 3 other single figure golfers I played with that day.

Aston has hosted many top championships including the Boys Amateur, British Masters, English Men's Amateur, English Women's Amateur, The Womens Amateur and the Women's Home Internationals.

For £40 a round you will struggle to find better value for money within England. 

Map of Courses Played - https://bit.ly/2Qy3ScY

Back when I lived in Vegas these two were decent values. I worked for MGM and that let me play Primm Valley near the California / Nevada line (a 2 tracks property) for very little, but the tourist rate was not bad. Then a 70 mile drive to the north they opened the fabulous Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. That was reasonable during the week back in my day. The rates I know would be much more costly today but I thought they were both better than the price they charged and thought I'd mention them.  

I would love to get back and play those courses again. 

Primm 

Image result for primm valley golf

Wolf Creek 

Image result for wolf creek golf course

• Like 3

Callaway Maverick Max 9*  Mitsubishi C-6 blue
TM SIM Max 15* fw  Ventus blue
Ping i20 5 fw  Project X
TM M4 hyb  Atmos
TM M5   5-pw  Tesei 
Ping Glide 2.0 - 50, 56, 60 all SS grind AWT 2.0
Toulon Las Vegas H7 Stroke Lab  

That I paid money for I'd go with the old Grand Pines course that used to be next to SeaWorld.  I'm thinking it was 2014 or so and me, my dad and neighbor got a deal for $12 a person on a Saturday at 3pm in June.  And it really wasn't that hot out, the course was in perfect condition and we made it around in about 3 hours and had a blast.  And I remember I topped the day off making this ridiculous 40-footer for birdie on the 18th.

RH

• Like 1

I was able to play Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valleys and Whistling Straits - Irish on consecutive days for free. It wouldn't be accurate to say I was underwhelmed by Meadow Valleys...I think I'm just a bit soured on it because I played one of the worst rounds of golf in my life that day. I struck it much better at WS the next day. The Irish course is 98% as good as the Straits course IMO, you just have to climb some of the mounds to get the lake views.

DRIVER........Ping G400 Max 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G410 14.5*
HYBRIDS........Ping G410 3H & 4H
IRONS........Titleist 716CB 5-P
WEDGES........Ping Glide 2.0 50* SS, 54* SS, 58* ES
PUTTER........Odyssey Protype #3 Custom
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Pete Dye - PGA West Stadium Course in LaQuinta. 

I played there maybe 20+ years ago when I was just starting to play golf.  Snuck out of an IT Conference and played a twilight round there.  I forget what I paid, want to say about $50.  Think I shot about 110....was fun to play a course that you see on TV and as I am from the East Coast, really neat to play 'desert golf'

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 10:20 PM, _Hawk3y3_ said:

I was able to play Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valleys and Whistling Straits - Irish on consecutive days for free. It wouldn't be accurate to say I was underwhelmed by Meadow Valleys...I think I'm just a bit soured on it because I played one of the worst rounds of golf in my life that day. I struck it much better at WS the next day. The Irish course is 98% as good as the Straits course IMO, you just have to climb some of the mounds to get the lake views.

I think the order in which one plays the 4 courses really changes the perception/feel for each.

When I have guests play the Straits Course first, everything after doesn't seem as nice.  

But if you save that for last, you'll enjoy Irish more.  Some people like Irish more anyway.

The back 9 of Meadow Valley is part of the original championship course that hosted 2 US Women's Opens, but gets overlooked.

• Like 3

Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run Caddie

Callaway EPIC SubZero Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood

Ben Hogan PTX Irons 4-P

Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges 50 54 58

Ping Zing Putter

I play whatever balls I find while working...

On 2/10/2021 at 10:39 PM, RichieHunt said:

That I paid money for I'd go with the old Grand Pines course that used to be next to SeaWorld.  I'm thinking it was 2014 or so and me, my dad and neighbor got a deal for $12 a person on a Saturday at 3pm in June.  And it really wasn't that hot out, the course was in perfect condition and we made it around in about 3 hours and had a blast.  And I remember I topped the day off making this ridiculous 40-footer for birdie on the 18th.

RH

That used to be such a good golf course...I was legitimately sad when I heard it was being closed. 

• Like 1