Hitting in OB, the best options and the penalities

Hi Guys,

Between reading the USGA rules and what my buddy's tell me, I need some clarification on what my options are for hitting into OB off the tee and not off the tee.

Off the tee:

2 stoke penalty? 

Is it better to drop at the point it crossed OB or hit a second ball off the tee.

In both cases am hitting 4 from both spots?

Not off the tee:

I'm ok with dropping on the line it crossed into OB and not closer to the hole.

Is it 1 or a 2 stroke penalty?

I have to warn you I have a headache from reading the rules so please dumb it down.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please, we stopped saying "fun" in 2019. There is no more fun in the rules of golf

Mike, if a local rule (E-5) is not adopted by a course or competition, things are simple. If your ball is OB, you must go back to where it was previously struck and drop a ball in a relief area there

There are some decent illustrations out there of the E-5 options. 

Posted Images

Mike, if a local rule (E-5) is not adopted by a course or competition, things are simple. If your ball is OB, you must go back to where it was previously struck and drop a ball in a relief area there (or anywhere in the teeing area if it had been struck from the tee) and take a one stroke penalty. Given that you had to go back, that’s pretty much like a two stroke penalty.  

If E-5 has been put in force things get much more complicated, and I don’t want to make your headache worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it depends on your ability.  Most scratchish players are better hitting another off the tee.  You’re hitting 3 off the tee.  So assuming a good tee ball on the second try , you’re hitting 4 into the green.  But.  From further up.   The OB ball very rarely is anywhere near full distance of a straight drive.  

if you’re prone to pumping a second offline , then I think dropping works.  

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Pxg Gen 2 0317X 3h  kbs 95 s+ 

Titleist T100 [email protected]*  modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

If I understand, I pull one left into the woods but that that far. If I have the confidence to split the fairway, go for it and my next shot off the fairway will be hitting 4. If I am not feel confident and don't want to risk it, I find the point it crossed into OB and apply the stroke-distance rule. But I'm still hitting 4 from there, right?

Then I need to know, on the next I I drive into the fairway, have 150 left into the green and I put that shot into red OB. I'll find the point it crossed and drop one not closer to the hole but what is my penalty? 1 or 2 strokes. What if I put it into yellow hazard?

This is slightly off topic - but no undue as it seems MtlMike is rather confused...

In any event, what is the rationale for having both "Out of Bounds" and "Hazards"?

Why is OB more penal?

Is there any "rule" that dictates whether an area is designated as one or the other?

Just a curious moron.  

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Just now, jholz said:

This is slightly off topic - but no undue as it seems MtlMike is rather confused...

In any event, what is the rationale for having both "Out of Bounds" and "Hazards"?

Why is OB more penal?

Is there any "rule" that dictates whether an area is designated as one or the other?

Just a curious moron.  

You can play out of a hazard. You can't play a ball that is in OB.

Hazards are generally on the property. OB is off property or a route they do not want you to go, like through the driving range.

• Like 1

Thank you @Go Horns!. This clearly explains the difference. But can anyone explain why one needs to be more penal than the other. Is it to act as a deterrent? 

I also have to take exception with your choice of college athletic programs, but that's a completely different discussion. 

or
or

1 hour ago, jholz said:

Thank you @Go Horns!. This clearly explains the difference. But can anyone explain why one needs to be more penal than the other. Is it to act as a deterrent? 

I also have to take exception with your choice of college athletic programs, but that's a completely different discussion. 

Yes, OB is more penal to try and reduce the number of balls that go there.

There's also the obvious "it's not part of our property" factor as well.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

13 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Yes, OB is more penal to try and reduce the number of balls that go there.

There's also the obvious "it's not part of our property" factor as well.

Right on. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. We will see if a contrarian shows up to argue against this. 

or
or

What am I talking about?

Drive goes into red OB:

Determine the line it crossed, drop my ball on that line no closer to the hole. 2 stroke penalty, now hitting 4.

If I hit a provisional and am 100% sure my first drive is gone, where the provisional landed in my 3rd shot. 

What if I hit an approach shot into OB? Same thing? Find the line of entry and drop on that line?

What if I overshoot the green into OB? 

25 minutes ago, MontrealMike said:

What am I talking about?

Drive goes into red OB:

Determine the line it crossed, drop my ball on that line no closer to the hole. 2 stroke penalty, now hitting 4.

If I hit a provisional and am 100% sure my first drive is gone, where the provisional landed in my 3rd shot. 

What if I hit an approach shot into OB? Same thing? Find the line of entry and drop on that line?

What if I overshoot the green into OB? 

I think you're really starting to get confused here. There is no "red OB".

Red stakes = lateral water hazard. A player can take a one-stroke penalty and drop within two club lengths of where the ball last crossed the margin (perimeter) of the hazard, no nearer the hole. They can also go to the opposite side of hazard, no nearer the hole, and drop. The player can also drop keeping the ball on the line of the point of the ball's entry in the hazard and the flag and yourself.

Yellow stakes = water hazard (can also indicate what is considered a water hazard but doesn't always have water in it.) The golfer can take a one-stroke penalty and use one of two options: return to the original spot of the last shot and drop the ball as near as possible to that spot to hit again, or, keeping a line between themselves, the flag and where the ball crossed the hazard line, they can drop as far back from the hazard as they choose.

White stakes = OB (aka out of bounds). See explanations is previous poster's comments about OB rules

Edited by Abh159
29 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I think you're really starting to get confused here. There is no "red OB".

Red stakes = lateral water hazard. A player can take a one-stroke penalty and drop within two club lengths of where the ball last crossed the margin (perimeter) of the hazard, no nearer the hole. They can also go to the opposite side of hazard, no nearer the hole, and drop. The player can also drop keeping the ball on the line of the point of the ball's entry in the hazard and the flag and yourself.

Yellow stakes = water hazard (can also indicate what is considered a water hazard but doesn't always have water in it.) The golfer can take a one-stroke penalty and use one of two options: return to the original spot of the last shot and drop the ball as near as possible to that spot to hit again, or, keeping a line between themselves, the flag and where the ball crossed the hazard line, they can drop as far back from the hazard as they choose.

White stakes = OB (aka out of bounds). See explanations is previous poster's comments about OB rules

Please, since 2019, the word "hazard" has been retired. We now have bunkers and penalty areas. There are no hazards in the Rules of Golf.

• Thanks 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

1 hour ago, MontrealMike said:

What am I talking about?

A Drive goes into red OB:

B What if I hit an approach shot into OB? Same thing? Find the line of entry and drop on that line?

Case A

I assume you mean a red penalty area.  You take the point where it last crossed the margin of the penalty area no nearer the hole. You may play it as it lies 

or drop the ball within two clublengths of that point with a 1 stroke penalty.

You don't "Determine the line it crossed, drop my ball on that line no closer to the hole". 

Case B

Have you looked at the diagrams posted by Hawkeye and the Video posted by Go Horns? 

If the Local Rule e-5 is in force.

You take the point where the ball crossed the OB margin. You drop the ball on  the fairway with two clublengths of the edge no nearer the hole than that point with a 2 stroke penalty.

Or if the LR is not in force you play another ball from where you hit the originally with a 1 stroke penalty 

You don't "Find the line of entry and drop on that line"

• Like 1

There is no such thing as “red OB”. Stop it. 🙂

Red is a penalty area. You can play the ball as it lies if you find it. Under 1 penalty stroke, you can play from the previous spot, or drop within 2CL’s of the point last crossed, or drop behind the PA keeping the point last crossed lined up with the flag and going back as far as you’d like. 

For OB, white stakes, OR a lost ball not in a PA, WITH E-5 as an option, you may either play from the previous spot under a 1 stroke penalty OR invoke the local rule (E-5) and drop somewhere between the point it went out, or the point the ball was most likely lost, and 2CL’s into the nearest fairway. This option is 2 penalty strokes. 

10 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Red stakes = lateral water hazard. 

...They can also go to the opposite side of hazard, no nearer the hole, and drop...

No, they can not unless there's a local rule in place for that particular Red Penalty Area.

• Thanks 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
D & 3W: ST 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

13 hours ago, jholz said:

Why is OB more penal?

Just a curious moron.  

OB is like hitting a ball into a NEIGHBOR’s yard. U can’t climb the fence or go thru ur neighbor’s house to play it; hence, u have to hit it again from the previous spot. Still a 1 stroke penalty, but since u have to hit it again from the same spot with zero distance gain, it is equal a 2 stroke penalty if u can drop at the point where ur ball crosses the fence. 

Hazard is like hitting a ball into a bush in YOUR yard. Since the bush is in YOUR yard, u can still try to look for it and play from there if playable. If not, then u can just drop it next to the bush for 1 stroke penalty.

An OB is typically marked with either WHITE stakes/lines, or a physical fence. A ball lost in an UNMARKED area is also considered OB since there’s a hypothetical chance that it goes to the neighbor’s yard. 

A hazard are is marked with RED/YELLOW stakes/lines. 

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

This is a fun read guys 🤦‍♂️

Please, we stopped saying "fun" in 2019. There is no more fun in the rules of golf

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/ Diamana D+ 95
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

7 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Ain’t that the truth.   Fun - that’ll be a two shot penalty for the first offense and a DQ for second !  

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Pxg Gen 2 0317X 3h  kbs 95 s+ 

Titleist T100 [email protected]*  modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I do apologize for my contributions to this thread. I felt that my questions were relevant given the OP's confusion about the difference between OB and hazards and wanted to satisfy my own curiosity. I did not realize that they would be such a problem for other members.

Sorry for ruining anyone's day. 

or
or

6 hours ago, swagee said:

A ball lost in an UNMARKED area is also considered OB since there’s a hypothetical chance that it goes to the neighbor’s yard. 

Not so, but it may not matter as the procedure for dealing with a lost ball is the same as dealing with an out of bounds ball.  For the record, who owns the property is irrelevant in terms of whether a ball is OB or not.  A ball is only OB if the Committee has marked the area OB, and the Committee is not obligated to mark other owner's property as OB.  No OB line?  Find it and play it if you like according to the rules of golf (but risk violating trespassing laws).

As examples, sometimes you'll find municipally-owned land adjacent to a course unmarked for OB, and while the entire Pacific Ocean left of the fairway of #18 at Pebble Beach is most certainly not owned by PB's fine members, a ball you find there remains legally playable -- say during the "suck the water back" phase of a tsunami.  (That's an important distinction to for people who enjoy playing in challenging conditions!)

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Ain’t that the truth.   Fun - that’ll be a two shot penalty for the first offense and a DQ for second !  

I guess the Beach Boys' golf careers ended before they even got started... :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
D & 3W: ST 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4