2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

1 hour ago, belh22 said:

anybody with a negative AOA try the max ls?  

Yes, but not thoroughly.  Hit it once at PGASS with IM 10 60 6.0, liked what I felt and saw, but got no numbers to take away.  Then went to Golf Galaxy the next day right when they opened, got a really helpful dude, he set up the trackman, and then proceeded to run through some Max and Max LS combos with me.  I wrote generally about it above, but basically with the Max LS, I hit two configurations both with the IM 10 50 6.0--9* and +1 at 10*.

My numbers were better with the +1 in terms of SS, BS and distance, though spin went up not surprisingly.  My A of A  went from -2.2 with the 9* to -0.7 with the 10*.  Launch angle was a bit low.  I might have benefited from the 10.5* Max LS head, as long as I could get the spin down.  And then, I would fear turning it down from 10.5* to 9.5*, arguably making it more fade biased.  That is why I am initially going with the 9* Max LS head that I can turn up +1 or +2 if necessary. 

Anyway, this wasn't a fitting, and I am not proclaiming I got optimal numbers or anything like that.  And in the end, I would not be surprised if the Max head is simply a better head for me, which is why I have that on order as well.  The Max was a joy to hit, and I suspect will be my winner.  The Max LS is too good to not give at least a chance out on the course though--a great blend of forgiveness and low spin.  YMMV.  

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

So I just saw on their website that they are offering what they call an “LD” version of their new releases.  LD stands for long drive and they come standard at 47 in.  They also come with an adapter that lets you go down in loft 2 degrees instead of the normal 1, which is exactly what I was looking for.  My problem with that, however, is that they are only offering a certain number of shafts to go with said model.  Not their full available lineup they offer with the regular drivers.  Can you get those adapters anywhere else?  Also, I was so looking forward to the TD model release but seeing as how they are only going to release 600 of them, looks like I’m SooL.  I’m not very lucky with things like that.  Callaway sure makes it hard to get what you want sometimes.  I have a maverick sub zero 15 degree 3 wood with a GD Tp 8x now that I hit so well, I wanted a driver that pairs with it.

42 minutes ago, Toothpaste said:

So I just saw on their website that they are offering what they call an “LD” version of their new releases.  LD stands for long drive and they come standard at 47 in.  They also come with an adapter that lets you go down in loft 2 degrees instead of the normal 1, which is exactly what I was looking for.  My problem with that, however, is that they are only offering a certain number of shafts to go with said model.  Not their full available lineup they offer with the regular drivers.  Can you get those adapters anywhere else?  Also, I was so looking forward to the TD model release but seeing as how they are only going to release 600 of them, looks like I’m SooL.  I’m not very lucky with things like that.  Callaway sure makes it hard to get what you want sometimes.  I have a maverick sub zero 15 degree 3 wood with a GD Tp 8x now that I hit so well, I wanted a driver that pairs with it.

Green dot adapter: https://www.golfworks.com/callaway-adcanced-opti-fit-tour-shaft-adaptors/p/ca0022/

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

2 hours ago, CallawayLefty said:

I am not sure how long you have been at the equipment game, but Callaway's current approach to drivers was basically stolen from Taylormade in the 2007 to 2014 timeline.  I will agree with you that it was stupid then and remains stupid now.  In my opinion, the Triple Diamond is the best driver Callaway makes.  Since I am a lefty, it's almost impossible to get your hands on one, so I'm stuck playing two Triple Diamond Epic Flash heads.  I am just not sure why they wouldn't offer that head at full retail.  They don't even upcharge for it when they do sell it, so it's not like it's a "circle T" type cash grab.  Just makes no sense why they would only release 600 heads of their best driver.  And of course all 600 will be right handed, so I'll be left scouring ebay in 2025 trying to find a leftover that was made for Akshay Bhatia while 3 more driver generations have been released between then and now.  

And for heaven's sakes, my screen name is CallawayLefty, so it's not like I'm a hater or anything.  

I've been at it for a while.  I remember the TM approach.  But these days companies can't hide that the tour clubs are really different. There's a USGA conforming list and websites list what players are playing.  

It's mind boggling that Callaway is doing this.  Do they really think the average golfer who is going to hit 20 shots into the net at their local Dick's is going to hit the standard head so much better than the triple diamond?  Just sell the damn triple diamond.  Like I said.  If tour players want more fade bias or different trajectory, there's something called an adjustable hosel and hot melt.  

Good luck getting Shay's castoffs.  I was told that one thing he liked about Callaway was that he thought they made better lefty stuff because of Phil.   Doesn't help you too much though since they don't sell it.

1 hour ago, NoCalHack said:

I've been at it for a while.  I remember the TM approach.  But these days companies can't hide that the tour clubs are really different. There's a USGA conforming list and websites list what players are playing.  

It's mind boggling that Callaway is doing this.  Do they really think the average golfer who is going to hit 20 shots into the net at their local Dick's is going to hit the standard head so much better than the triple diamond?  Just sell the damn triple diamond.  Like I said.  If tour players want more fade bias or different trajectory, there's something called an adjustable hosel and hot melt.  

Good luck getting Shay's castoffs.  I was told that one thing he liked about Callaway was that he thought they made better lefty stuff because of Phil.   Doesn't help you too much though since they don't sell it.

I think part of the problem is too many options as-is.  If they added a TD, you would have 4 new drivers all released at the same time, and it would just get even more confusing.  I went ordered a LS (because I'm addicted) and we'll see how it stacks up against the Epic Flash TD.  Based on what I have seen from places like TXG it has real potential.  I'm chasing a little more accuracy but still want that speed and spin reduction.  But if there was a TD available, I would have without question started there.  I did notice that the LS does appear to have some visual similarities to the TD from prior years, so I'm excited to see how that turns out.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

I think part of the problem is too many options as-is.  If they added a TD, you would have 4 new drivers all released at the same time, and it would just get even more confusing.  I went ordered a LS (because I'm addicted) and we'll see how it stacks up against the Epic Flash TD.  Based on what I have seen from places like TXG it has real potential.  I'm chasing a little more accuracy but still want that speed and spin reduction.  But if there was a TD available, I would have without question started there.  I did notice that the LS does appear to have some visual similarities to the TD from prior years, so I'm excited to see how that turns out.  

They are very similar.  I will try to post a comparison pick of the two, this afternoon.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue 6F5
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  15*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Red  7F5
Callaway Apex UW 19*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue  8F5
Callaway Apex Pro 24*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Black 105F5
Callaway Apex Pro CB 5-11 USTMamiya Recoil Dart V 130 F5
Callaway MD5 Jaws Black 56W, 60LW
Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas H7
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

On 2/18/2021 at 2:23 AM, BC33 said:

The ball speed seems low for your club head speed.  Was your smash factor lower?  Not being a smart a** but does the higher MOI of the Max or Max LS help raise smash factor?  I’m about the same swing speed as you but it seems my ball speed is consistently above 152 and if I really go after one, swing speed may be 108 and ball speed gets to 160-162.  Is your 142 ball speed affected by a higher launch angle?  My launch is generally 11 or 12 degrees.

I’m going Friday to hit all three models and I’m going in with an open mind but I’m thinking the Max LS is probably going to be closest to my Mavrik TD.  If I don’t get substantially better numbers, I might just get a 3 or 4 wood.

And again, I’m not trying to be funny or confrontational , I’m just trying to understand because maybe what I thought I understood about launch, ball speed and smash factor isn’t correct.

May come back to the launch monitor he was on. Some measure both clubhead and ball speed, others just measure one and then use a uniform smash factor often around 1.4 to 1.42 to calculate the other. A smash factor of 1.45+ is a decent achievement, over 1.5 (so 150mph ball speed for 100 mph swing) is exceptional

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, haughdaddy35 said:

They are very similar.  I will try to post a comparison pick of the two, this afternoon.

Please do!

Additionally,  has anyone played extensively the 2017 original Epic driver and compared to the newest lineup of Epics......skipping Epic Flash line and Mavrik line? 

Edited by SwooshLT

12 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Please do!

Additionally,  has anyone played extensively the 2017 original Epic driver and compared to the newest lineup of Epics......skipping Epic Flash line and Mavrik line? 

I still play my OG Epic or 2016GBB, have the Speed, but not hit it yet

• Thanks 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

8 hours ago, mtex22 said:

Played my first round with the 10.5 LS with PX IM 10 and really enjoyed it! What stood out the most was the sound and feel. The previous Epic Flash was a hard pass due to the sound and feel and I am really glad they nailed it with the 2021 Epic Line. Another thing that really stood out was the dispersion and forgiveness I played a really tight course and I hit a ton of fairways and the mis hits I had still got out there. When I was able to open it up I killed a few past where I have normally been. Very comfortable with this driver from the get go! I do want to try some other shafts but so far so good.

I saw that you had a radspeed for a minute and got your F9 back in fold......can you compare LS to either please? 

Here’s some comparison pics... sorry for the bad lighting, I forgot to take some outside at the course today. Epic Max LS on left and Tour issue Mavrik sub zero triple diamond on the right

8D67F426-C314-4D92-A44B-789394480629.jpeg.dba5467d52db6507cdb30b5d8cfdbbb6.jpeg05B8AF7C-62C7-4596-8530-82BE38879F1F.jpeg.ca064bac5e50ef4634a814a26027add7.jpegF1E76CD4-C2B7-43CD-A5AF-A50E29672246.jpeg.2e9ac777a8165aa43808cd45ed92eb19.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue 6F5
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  15*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Red  7F5
Callaway Apex UW 19*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue  8F5
Callaway Apex Pro 24*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Black 105F5
Callaway Apex Pro CB 5-11 USTMamiya Recoil Dart V 130 F5
Callaway MD5 Jaws Black 56W, 60LW
Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas H7
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

16 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

I saw that you had a radspeed for a minute and got your F9 back in fold......can you compare LS to either please? 

That is a tough one. On well struck shots I believe the LS is longer than the F9 but the F9 is right there. I do prefer the looks and feel of the F9 and I think the overall dispersion it a wash. I am wondering if I can get more out of the MAX LS with a better shaft so TBD. 

• Thanks 1

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

13 hours ago, belh22 said:

Anybody head to head max ls with g425 lst?  

I hit both. Epic LS was longer overall distance for me.  But the G425 felt way better at contact. And is considerably easier to turn over than the EPIC. Both clubs look great behind the ball at address. 

Edited by juggernaut0629

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

First round with the Max LS with mmt 60s yesterday.  I’m a straight driver of the ball, prefer eliminating the left side.  Swing speed around 100. 
Gusty day and wet fairways so difficult to say if I picked up any yards vs my SIM max. Hit it very straight, sound and feel was solid.  Probably prefer the sound of the sim, but much better than the efsz.  

I have a positive AOA, around 4.5, so I launch it plenty high with the 9 degree head.  One thing I’m looking at is spin rates.  There were several well struck balls that seemed to fall out of the sky.  Great on firm fairways, but concerning otherwise.   Will get it on track man, but may need to test a higher spin shaft.  Sub 2000 spin rates look good on a simulator but not on grass.  

• Thanks 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

On 2/20/2021 at 5:57 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

Has anyones custom order been pushed back? Mine says April now instead of March

Yes, mine continually goes backwards with no end in sight. I spoke to them literally last week, then got an email from them last night stating that the club that apparently had no issue last week, is now not expected to ship until late April. I'm about to cancel my order entirely.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

11 hours ago, haughdaddy35 said:

Here’s some comparison pics... sorry for the bad lighting, I forgot to take some outside at the course today. Epic Max LS on left and Tour issue Mavrik sub zero triple diamond on the right

8D67F426-C314-4D92-A44B-789394480629.jpeg.dba5467d52db6507cdb30b5d8cfdbbb6.jpeg05B8AF7C-62C7-4596-8530-82BE38879F1F.jpeg.ca064bac5e50ef4634a814a26027add7.jpegF1E76CD4-C2B7-43CD-A5AF-A50E29672246.jpeg.2e9ac777a8165aa43808cd45ed92eb19.jpeg

Ok , tons of questions for my good lefty brethren......

Your tee marks tell me you live towards toe.....have you adjusted either to D setting for some help?  

What shot shape are playing with Mavrik TD? 

Do you find either easier to turn? 

How does the spin numbers compare H2H? 

Preference in sound/feel?  

TIA, Lawrence 

I went back a week and you answered most of these questions! 😆

Edited by SwooshLT

18 minutes ago, davo32683 said:

Yes, mine continually goes backwards with no end in sight. I spoke to them literally last week, then got an email from them last night stating that the club that apparently had no issue last week, is now not expected to ship until late April. I'm about to cancel my order entirely.

Apparently shafts, and even some heads, are on backorder for months.

I just called Callaway CS and changed my order to a non-upcharge shaft that was showing as in stock rather than backordered. They said '2 weeks ship time' for an in-stock shaft.

The Smoke Black, Smoke Black RDX, Mitsubishi MMT, and lots of others are all backordered until April-June timeframe.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

10 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I just called Callaway CS and changed my order to a non-upcharge shaft that was showing as in stock rather than backordered. They said '2 weeks ship time' for an in-stock shaft.

The Smoke Black, Smoke Black RDX, Mitsubishi MMT, and lots of others are all backordered until April-June timeframe.

Wow, glad I ordered in mid January 

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

34 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I guess I'll see what happens with mine.  The MMT 60 is the stock shaft on the Max LS, so hard to believe that would be so backordered.  My orders from a week or so ago are showing 2/22-3/1, one with MMT 60 S, and one with IM 10 60 6.0.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

4 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I guess I'll see what happens with mine.  The MMT 60 is the stock shaft on the Max LS, so hard to believe that would be so backordered.  My orders from a week or so ago are showing 2/22-3/1, one with MMT 60 S, and one with IM 10 60 6.0.

They said the IM10 was in stock, but he said even in a stock config the MMT 60 was BO. 

I went with the HZRDUS Yellow instead of the IM10 since it's not a 'made for' shaft and I'm a snob lol - and I hit the HZRDUS Yellow once in a Titleist fitting and it worked well IIRC.

MGS  2021 Driver shoot out 

When it comes to overall performance, the Callaway Epic Max LS put on an amazing display. This driver’s outstanding performance across multiple key metrics made it the undisputed winner of the 2021 Most Wanted Driver Test. Here they are:

• 1st in Strokes Gained
  • 1st in Total Distance
  • 6th in Forgiveness
  • 62% Fairways Hit
  • 138.57 mph Ball Speed

MGS21drivers.jpg.c7fd6d11455693052f8971a41c1d313b.jpg

739282452_MGS21driverforgiveness.jpg.de98b90c9b13561ac0a01b03b2470292.jpg

1638104846_MGS21driverspeed.jpg.9aaf11fd27192004c8fb35c8cd28a0f9.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope