2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

34 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Why do we always have to wait for triple diamond in the Callaway driver line now? We know it's coming, release it with everything else, or better yet, make that the LS shape. 

It is the LS shape this year.  I’m sure they will still release the triple Diamond at some point though.  Three versions of the TD are already on the Usga conforming list.

Titleist TSi2 8* Graphite Design Tour AD XC 6X
TItleist TS2 16.5* (set to 15.75*) FW Tensei AV Blue 75X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Hybrid Evenflow Riptide 85H 6.5
PXG 0311X 4 Utility Iron Nippon Pro Modus 3 105S

Titleist T100-S 5-W(48*)Nippon Pro Modus 3 130S
Cobra King Black 52* Nippon Pro Modus 3 130S

Cobra King Black 58* Nippon Modus Wedge 115
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12 Custom 34.5”

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I demo'ed all three heads this weekend. Fully went in thinking the Max LS would be the one for me but the Speed won by a mile. Right from the first drive I couldn't not hit the middle, it was crazy (&

So after my response above, I got bored and made this chart.   Self explanatory - I think - but the colored fading lines show commonality between heads and how much.   

But it’s not 4 bars. It’s a frame.     

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

It is the LS shape this year.  I’m sure they will still release the triple Diamond at some point though.  Three versions of the TD are already on the Usga conforming list.

Didn't they say the same thing when the Mavrik Sub Zero came out? How it was inspired by the Epic Triple Diamond? Yet we still got a Mavrik 3D which is completely different to the regular Sub Zero.

• Like 1

Callaway Mav SZ 3D 9

TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5

TaylorMade M3 19

Titleist U500 23

Yonex CB-301 5-PW

Vokey SM8 50F, 54F, 58T

Ping Anser

1 hour ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

How'd you hit it? How does it compare to your Mavrik? 

I dumped my Mavrik because I couldn't get the left side out of it. Was hoping for a CG shifter on the Speed to solve the problem but they just basically reproduced the same driver. Nothing in this new line up from Callaway that could compete with my TSi3 so far. I haven't seen or hit any of the special diamond heads yet. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* Diamana D+ LTD 60 TX
Titleist TSi2 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 TX
Titleist TSi2 21* Diamana D+ LTD 80 TX

Srixon ZX Utlity 3-iron MMT Hybrid 100 TX

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Black C-Taper X
Mizuno T20 Raw C-Grind 57/11 & Ported 61/07 Black C-Taper S+

Evnroll ER2.2 MidBlade Putter Brushed Black CT Tour
Bridgestone Tour B XS

18 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

Whatever "inspired by" is, isn't what triple diamond players are looking for. Very frustrating having to look through 9 versions of the driver to get the one you're looking for. I know I know, first world privileged problems, but still a problem. 

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6, PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 4 - GW, PX IO 6.5

CALLAWAY APEX 21 MB, 5 - GW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY JAWS Forged Wedges, Chrome, 55/11C; 60/10C; PX LS 6.5

VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, DG TI x100; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

9 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Whatever "inspired by" is, isn't what triple diamond players are looking for. Very frustrating having to look through 9 versions of the driver to get the one you're looking for. I know I know, first world privileged problems, but still a problem. 

Agree.  I don’t recall what they said about the mavrik TD, but when the photos came out, it looked nothing like the TD.  I’m sitting here looking at my Epic Flash TD (already sold my Mavrik TD) and the pictures online of the Max LS, look very similar.  The face shape looks virtually the same, and it has that triangular shape that the TDs have.  Regardless, if I buy a Callaway driver this year, I’ll just wait until they release the TD to the public, haha. I do agree that Callaway always has way to many variations and models.

• Like 1

For the first time in my life I’m very interested in testing a Callaway driver. The LS has my interest peaked. This is shaping up to be an awesome year for drivers!

TaylorMade SIM2 7.25º | Raijin Black 65X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
TaylorMade SIM 19º | Ventus Blue 9X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

Edited by BirdieBob

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6, PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 4 - GW, PX IO 6.5

CALLAWAY APEX 21 MB, 5 - GW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY JAWS Forged Wedges, Chrome, 55/11C; 60/10C; PX LS 6.5

VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, DG TI x100; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

I may be late to the game on this, but 2nd Swing has been doing an excellent job with timely reviews, comparing each head. Are they are technical and detailed as TXG no, but I gotta say I’m pretty impressed from a content value standpoint. 

That said, man early signs on that LS are unreal. If it’s truly high MOI and can destroy spin like I’m seeing in some of these early videos it has quite honestly shot to the top spot for me in terms of drivers I’m most interested in testing. 

EDIT: Also, by no means do I want to spin the ball 1800 like he does in that video. I’d be willing to bet my 401k there’s not a driver that will go that low for me either haha. I hope it gets me to the 2200-2300 range, but we shall see.

Edited by Homerun2Birdie
  • Like 1

PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

14 minutes ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

I may be late to the game on this, but 2nd Swing has been doing an excellent job with timely reviews, comparing each head. Are they are technical and detailed as TXG no, but I gotta say I’m pretty impressed from a content value standpoint. 

That said, man early signs on that LS are unreal. If it’s truly high MOI and can destroy spin like I’m seeing in some of these early videos it has quite honestly shot to the top spot for me in terms of drivers I’m most interested in testing. 

EDIT: Also, by no means do I want to spin the ball 1800 like he does in that video. I’d be willing to bet my 401k there’s not a driver that will go that low for me either haha. I hope it gets me to the 2200-2300 range, but we shall see.

I've always been a high spin guy too.. even as I'm getting older.  I hit the LS the other night just for the heck of it and put the lowest spinning shaft they had in the store just to see.  I left it at 9 degrees assuming that was too much loft, but wasn't there for a fitting.. just curiosity.  I only hit a couple of shots.  First one was around 2k spin but not my best strike.  The next one was hit well... it had 17.4 launch @ 1780 spin.  I've never hit anything that spun like that.  I will go back this weekend and test some more. .but that was crazy.  I'm coming off my 7th left knee surgery.. and just now getting some speed back but this has my attention.  One other note.. I hit the Max too and the Speed too.. these are the best sounding Callaway drivers I've ever hit.. just my opinion...still going to be hard to beat my TSi3 though

Edited by FOOTJOY16
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 8.0 Tensei Pro White 1K 60tx
Titleist TSi3 13.5 Ventus Red 8x
Mizuno MP20mb 4-pw Project X LZ
Vokey SM8 56M08, 60L04
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

14 minutes ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

I've always been a high spin guy too.. even as I'm getting older.  I hit the LS the other night just for the heck of it and put the lowest spinning shaft they had in the store just to see.  I left it at 9 degrees assuming that was too much loft, but wasn't there for a fitting.. just curiosity.  I only hit a couple of shots.  First one was around 2k spin but not my best strike.  The next one was hit well... it had 17.4 launch @ 1780 spin.  I've never hit anything that spun like that.  I will go back this weekend and test some more. .but that was crazy.  I'm coming off my 7th left knee surgery.. and just now getting some speed back but this has my attention.  One other note.. I hit the Max too and the Speed too.. these are the best sounding Callaway drivers I've ever hit.. just my opinion...still going to be hard to beat my TSi3 though

Wow that is really encouraging to hear. I have to say I have only owned 1 Callaway driver in my life (Rogue SZ) and hated everything about it. Even before and certainly after none of them have appealed to me in the slightest. The Mavrik SZ looked so much better by the ball than previous drivers, but found no reason to make the move from the 410LST. However, as forgiving as the 410 is I still spin around 2600-2800. Hard to argue with the LS if it’s got the looks by the ball, forgiveness it claims to have from an MOI stand point, and then you’re going to take some RPMs off as well. Very excited to see it for myself. 

• Like 1

PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

4 hours ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

The Max LS has the exact same shape/face depth, etc as my Epic Flash triple diamond.  They said it up that way because most pros played that shape/model, yet they have like three different triple diamond heads from this line on the usga conforming list now.  It looks like one that is the Max ls triple diamond, and one that looks like the Mavrik TD from last year, with the two weight system.  I wonder if they will release to the public again this year.

Thanks for this info. I also have the Epic Flash triple diamond and love it! Have you hit the Max LS and seen any difference compared to the Epic Flash TD?

59 minutes ago, catshannon said:

Thanks for this info. I also have the Epic Flash triple diamond and love it! Have you hit the Max LS and seen any difference compared to the Epic Flash TD?

I haven’t hit the Max LS yet.  I love my Epic Flash TD also.  I actually owned and played a Mavrik TD along with my EF TD this past season.  I ended up selling my Mav TD.  It sounded and felt better than my EF TD and was maybe a little more forgiving, but the EF TD was an easy 10-15 yds longer.  No idea why- lower spin maybe.  I’ll probably wait and pick up a TD version if they decide to release it later on.  Regardless, I’m loving my TSi3 right now- best looking driver on market right now (imo) and a total beast.

Edited by Hookasaurus Rex
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Golfingfanatic said:

My Mav Triple D will stay. Zero appeal to try these.

I'm still swinging the Epic SZ TD.  Also agree with others saying release the TD - seems like every pro is using it (or some other diamond version) and they're going to release it eventually anyways.  

Funny how Callaway is like TM of 5 years ago with the tour only releases.

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR

Callaway Epic SZ 15* 

Callaway Apex 20*

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Spider X

3 hours ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Thomas should have done a shoot out between the LS and Speed with loft at 8°. I would have been interested in seeing if the Speed would turn over more for him than the LS when he swung full out. 

I’m enjoying 2nd Swing’s review. I just miss the strike data TXG gets off Quad as it helps explain ball flight and spin tendencies.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Diamana TB 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist Pro V1

anyone else besides me that cannot distinguish the sound between different driver heads?

Callaway Rogue Driver MMT 60s
Callaway Epic 3 Wood Kiyoshi Gold 75s
Callaway
Super Hybrid Recoil Dart F3 75H

Srixon 765 Irons Modus 105s
Cleveland Zipcore Wedges Tour Issue Spinner 
Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 putter
Callaway Chrome Soft X Ball

🇱🇷

Do we know if the standard Epic Speed is supposed to be more forgiving than the standard Mavrik?

Callaway Epic Max 9*, Hzrdus Smoke iM10 60
Callaway Mavrik 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G425 hybrid, 19*, Tensei Pro 80 Orange
Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM8 54/58 D-grind
PXG Closer 2 putter
Titleist ProV1

The Speed actually looks pretty nice, but still a bit ugly next to TSi3

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP TOUR AXS BLU 70X
Titleist 917F3 16.5º - Grafalloy blue X
Titleist U500 18º HZDRUS Black Smoke RDX 6.5
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 130
Vokey SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

3 hours ago, Warrick said:

Interested to hear any feedback on the stock MMT shaft

I can’t imagine it being too far off the Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core (not XT or XD model) performance. 

Titleist Pro V1

43 minutes ago, ProStryker said:

Do we know if the standard Epic Speed is supposed to be more forgiving than the standard Mavrik?

It is supposed to be more forgiving due to freeing up and repositioning of discretionary weight. 

Titleist Pro V1

31 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

The Speed actually looks pretty nice, but still a bit ugly next to TSi3

No doubt.  It’s going to be hard to set up to something else after looking at the TSi3 for a few months.  TSi3 looks fantastic from all angles.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, baudi said:

2 horizontal and 2 vertical bars. Lets call it a frame. 
Still not impressed.

The strengthening is from the braces at the corners. They reinforce the frame. Nonetheless, you’re not impressed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist Pro V1