2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

34 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Why do we always have to wait for triple diamond in the Callaway driver line now? We know it's coming, release it with everything else, or better yet, make that the LS shape. 

It is the LS shape this year.  I’m sure they will still release the triple Diamond at some point though.  Three versions of the TD are already on the Usga conforming list.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

2 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

It is the LS shape this year.  I’m sure they will still release the triple Diamond at some point though.  Three versions of the TD are already on the Usga conforming list.

Didn't they say the same thing when the Mavrik Sub Zero came out? How it was inspired by the Epic Triple Diamond? Yet we still got a Mavrik 3D which is completely different to the regular Sub Zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

How'd you hit it? How does it compare to your Mavrik? 

I dumped my Mavrik because I couldn't get the left side out of it. Was hoping for a CG shifter on the Speed to solve the problem but they just basically reproduced the same driver. Nothing in this new line up from Callaway that could compete with my TSi3 so far. I haven't seen or hit any of the special diamond heads yet. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

18 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

Whatever "inspired by" is, isn't what triple diamond players are looking for. Very frustrating having to look through 9 versions of the driver to get the one you're looking for. I know I know, first world privileged problems, but still a problem. 

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

9 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Whatever "inspired by" is, isn't what triple diamond players are looking for. Very frustrating having to look through 9 versions of the driver to get the one you're looking for. I know I know, first world privileged problems, but still a problem. 

Agree.  I don’t recall what they said about the mavrik TD, but when the photos came out, it looked nothing like the TD.  I’m sitting here looking at my Epic Flash TD (already sold my Mavrik TD) and the pictures online of the Max LS, look very similar.  The face shape looks virtually the same, and it has that triangular shape that the TDs have.  Regardless, if I buy a Callaway driver this year, I’ll just wait until they release the TD to the public, haha. I do agree that Callaway always has way to many variations and models.

• Like 1

For the first time in my life I’m very interested in testing a Callaway driver. The LS has my interest peaked. This is shaping up to be an awesome year for drivers!

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I may be late to the game on this, but 2nd Swing has been doing an excellent job with timely reviews, comparing each head. Are they are technical and detailed as TXG no, but I gotta say I’m pretty impressed from a content value standpoint. 

That said, man early signs on that LS are unreal. If it’s truly high MOI and can destroy spin like I’m seeing in some of these early videos it has quite honestly shot to the top spot for me in terms of drivers I’m most interested in testing. 

EDIT: Also, by no means do I want to spin the ball 1800 like he does in that video. I’d be willing to bet my 401k there’s not a driver that will go that low for me either haha. I hope it gets me to the 2200-2300 range, but we shall see.

Edited by Homerun2Birdie
  • Like 1

PXG One & Done | Armlock

14 minutes ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

I may be late to the game on this, but 2nd Swing has been doing an excellent job with timely reviews, comparing each head. Are they are technical and detailed as TXG no, but I gotta say I’m pretty impressed from a content value standpoint. 

That said, man early signs on that LS are unreal. If it’s truly high MOI and can destroy spin like I’m seeing in some of these early videos it has quite honestly shot to the top spot for me in terms of drivers I’m most interested in testing. 

EDIT: Also, by no means do I want to spin the ball 1800 like he does in that video. I’d be willing to bet my 401k there’s not a driver that will go that low for me either haha. I hope it gets me to the 2200-2300 range, but we shall see.

I've always been a high spin guy too.. even as I'm getting older.  I hit the LS the other night just for the heck of it and put the lowest spinning shaft they had in the store just to see.  I left it at 9 degrees assuming that was too much loft, but wasn't there for a fitting.. just curiosity.  I only hit a couple of shots.  First one was around 2k spin but not my best strike.  The next one was hit well... it had 17.4 launch @ 1780 spin.  I've never hit anything that spun like that.  I will go back this weekend and test some more. .but that was crazy.  I'm coming off my 7th left knee surgery.. and just now getting some speed back but this has my attention.  One other note.. I hit the Max too and the Speed too.. these are the best sounding Callaway drivers I've ever hit.. just my opinion...still going to be hard to beat my TSi3 though

Edited by FOOTJOY16
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

14 minutes ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

I've always been a high spin guy too.. even as I'm getting older.  I hit the LS the other night just for the heck of it and put the lowest spinning shaft they had in the store just to see.  I left it at 9 degrees assuming that was too much loft, but wasn't there for a fitting.. just curiosity.  I only hit a couple of shots.  First one was around 2k spin but not my best strike.  The next one was hit well... it had 17.4 launch @ 1780 spin.  I've never hit anything that spun like that.  I will go back this weekend and test some more. .but that was crazy.  I'm coming off my 7th left knee surgery.. and just now getting some speed back but this has my attention.  One other note.. I hit the Max too and the Speed too.. these are the best sounding Callaway drivers I've ever hit.. just my opinion...still going to be hard to beat my TSi3 though

Wow that is really encouraging to hear. I have to say I have only owned 1 Callaway driver in my life (Rogue SZ) and hated everything about it. Even before and certainly after none of them have appealed to me in the slightest. The Mavrik SZ looked so much better by the ball than previous drivers, but found no reason to make the move from the 410LST. However, as forgiving as the 410 is I still spin around 2600-2800. Hard to argue with the LS if it’s got the looks by the ball, forgiveness it claims to have from an MOI stand point, and then you’re going to take some RPMs off as well. Very excited to see it for myself. 

• Like 2

PXG One & Done | Armlock

4 hours ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

The Max LS has the exact same shape/face depth, etc as my Epic Flash triple diamond.  They said it up that way because most pros played that shape/model, yet they have like three different triple diamond heads from this line on the usga conforming list now.  It looks like one that is the Max ls triple diamond, and one that looks like the Mavrik TD from last year, with the two weight system.  I wonder if they will release to the public again this year.

Thanks for this info. I also have the Epic Flash triple diamond and love it! Have you hit the Max LS and seen any difference compared to the Epic Flash TD?

59 minutes ago, catshannon said:

Thanks for this info. I also have the Epic Flash triple diamond and love it! Have you hit the Max LS and seen any difference compared to the Epic Flash TD?

I haven’t hit the Max LS yet.  I love my Epic Flash TD also.  I actually owned and played a Mavrik TD along with my EF TD this past season.  I ended up selling my Mav TD.  It sounded and felt better than my EF TD and was maybe a little more forgiving, but the EF TD was an easy 10-15 yds longer.  No idea why- lower spin maybe.  I’ll probably wait and pick up a TD version if they decide to release it later on.  Regardless, I’m loving my TSi3 right now- best looking driver on market right now (imo) and a total beast.

Edited by Hookasaurus Rex
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Golfingfanatic said:

My Mav Triple D will stay. Zero appeal to try these.

I'm still swinging the Epic SZ TD.  Also agree with others saying release the TD - seems like every pro is using it (or some other diamond version) and they're going to release it eventually anyways.  

Funny how Callaway is like TM of 5 years ago with the tour only releases.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

3 hours ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Thomas should have done a shoot out between the LS and Speed with loft at 8°. I would have been interested in seeing if the Speed would turn over more for him than the LS when he swung full out. 

I’m enjoying 2nd Swing’s review. I just miss the strike data TXG gets off Quad as it helps explain ball flight and spin tendencies.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

anyone else besides me that cannot distinguish the sound between different driver heads?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Do we know if the standard Epic Speed is supposed to be more forgiving than the standard Mavrik?

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

The Speed actually looks pretty nice, but still a bit ugly next to TSi3

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

3 hours ago, Warrick said:

Interested to hear any feedback on the stock MMT shaft

I can’t imagine it being too far off the Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core (not XT or XD model) performance. 

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

43 minutes ago, ProStryker said:

Do we know if the standard Epic Speed is supposed to be more forgiving than the standard Mavrik?

It is supposed to be more forgiving due to freeing up and repositioning of discretionary weight. 

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

31 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

The Speed actually looks pretty nice, but still a bit ugly next to TSi3

No doubt.  It’s going to be hard to set up to something else after looking at the TSi3 for a few months.  TSi3 looks fantastic from all angles.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, baudi said:

2 horizontal and 2 vertical bars. Lets call it a frame. 
Still not impressed.

The strengthening is from the braces at the corners. They reinforce the frame. Nonetheless, you’re not impressed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x