2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

Okay so the range is finally back open and I got to hit the max LS outside - besides my swing being all arms and a complete shitshow, the driver still performs great.

it however does not like my shaft choices very much. Right now I have the ATMOS black and HZRDUS yellow which are both low/low and im not getting the feel, numbers, or window that I want.

the ATMOS black worked great on the mavrik standard but isn’t playing well now with the LS.

I have a tensei AV blue, Rogue 110, and diamana S+ limited coming in the next week or so to try out. All mid/mid and mid-low profiles so we’ll see what happens with those.

i demod It with the smoke iM10 Which is a mid/mid so im Trying to replicate what I liked when I hit it then.

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

On 3/9/2021 at 8:40 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

If the speed had more MOI I would have bought it. It's around ~4500 which is the same as the mavrik std. I'm coming from a mavrik standard so my main point in upgrading wasnt sound, feel, or shape - but forgiveness on heel/toe strikes as well as equal spin on said mis-hits. I can live with the slightly 'egg' shaped head vs the classic looking head.

The Max LS gave me INSANE normalization of spin and distance on off-center hits, something like only a ~8yd difference. Whereas the mavrik standard and epic speed gave me a loss of ~15-20yds on off-center hits not to mention the spin differences that would result in hooks/push fades.

For all tents and porpoises, the Max LS really is a TD head.

Is that MOI  number on the speed had accurate? It seems like it is really low....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

2 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Is that MOI  number on the speed had accurate? It seems like it is really low....

GolfTec on YouTube had Speed at 4800 IIRC.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Do they also give the max and max LS moi as well? Can you post the link? Thanks

They did. The video is their initial review of the Epic line. 

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

5 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

They did. The video is their initial review of the Epic line. 

Found it, looks like the max has 5200 moi which isn’t that much more....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itysbu_zIwI

For those that may be interested.

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Does anyone how much the back weight weighs and if the back weight in the speed can be changed out. If so, will any of the older weights work from prior models? I was thinking of putting in a heavier back weight to help with moi and swingweight.....

thanks

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105

Upgrading from my standard rogue. So ive just tested the mavrik, mavrik sz and the new epic speed. Thout id test the mavriks as well due to lower price point. Same shaft in all three, Accra tz6 65 m5 tour cb. My average clubhead speed was 109 (cold scottish winter with layers) with a 3.1 up AOA. 

The epic speed was by far and away the best performer for me. Whilst the mavrik sz performed similarly with great numbers on the launch monitor it fell down on the course. When my strike was off with the mavrik sz the spin just died and the ball would just out the sky. The slightly higher spin on the epic speed made it more forgiving on miss hits and I found it was easier to shaoe when I took a bit of speed out of it. 

A massive upgrade on my rogue though, ball speed was up and the spin was down where I like it. Also I think the smaller profile sits lovely behind the ball. And despite them saying its slightly draw biased I still found I could cut it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, gjc90 said:

Upgrading from my standard rogue. So ive just tested the mavrik, mavrik sz and the new epic speed. Thout id test the mavriks as well due to lower price point. Same shaft in all three, Accra tz6 65 m5 tour cb. My average clubhead speed was 109 (cold scottish winter with layers) with a 3.1 up AOA. 

The epic speed was by far and away the best performer for me. Whilst the mavrik sz performed similarly with great numbers on the launch monitor it fell down on the course. When my strike was off with the mavrik sz the spin just died and the ball would just out the sky. The slightly higher spin on the epic speed made it more forgiving on miss hits and I found it was easier to shaoe when I took a bit of speed out of it. 

A massive upgrade on my rogue though, ball speed was up and the spin was down where I like it. Also I think the smaller profile sits lovely behind the ball. And despite them saying its slightly draw biased I still found I could cut it. 

POTT! Post of the thread.....lol......especially someone coming from previous Callaway drivers and hitting my sentiments exactly on point. Did you find Speed to sound/feel any different? 

5 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Does anyone how much the back weight weighs and if the back weight in the speed can be changed out. If so, will any of the older weights work from prior models? I was thinking of putting in a heavier back weight to help with moi and swingweight.....

thanks

The stock back weight in the Speed is 5 grams. They can be switched out with GBB Epic SubZero oem or after-market weights.

6 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Found it, looks like the max has 5200 moi which isn’t that much more....

I believe they stated that is only one of the MOI measurements (IE- front-back or side-side), so you cant compare it to other 'overall MOI' measurements that put heads like the PING at 10,000+ MOI.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

From the limited online tests, it looks as though Max LS is lower spin than the previous triple diamonds? I think I’ll test back to back with my Mavrik SZ as I think it’s going to be hard to beat. Interested to see what the LS and Speed LS can do. 

This is from MGS review page for the new Epics.  Review was silent on MOI for the Speed for whatever reason.

Epic Max:

Where they’re at is a front-to-back MOI in the mid-5,000s and a combined MOI over 9,000. It’s not PING but it reasonably qualifies as a mid-to-high level of conventional forgiveness.

Epic Max LS:

Callaway says total MOI is above 8,400 and I’d project a front-to-back number in the high 4,000s to low 5,000s depending on the weight setting.

Epic Speed:

By conventional metrics, Epic Speed could be considered unforgiving but, as was the case with Mavrik, Callaway maintains that forgiveness in the Epic Speed driver comes from AI Face design and the spin robustness (consistency) provided by the more forward center of gravity.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I believe they stated that is only one of the MOI measurements (IE- front-back or side-side), so you cant compare it to other 'overall MOI' measurements that put heads like the PING at 10,000+ MOI.

By the same metric they said the g425 max is 5600 moi so it must be the front to back measurement.....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105

4 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

From the limited online tests, it looks as though Max LS is lower spin than the previous triple diamonds? I think I’ll test back to back with my Mavrik SZ as I think it’s going to be hard to beat. Interested to see what the LS and Speed LS can do. 

I am the typical older OTT high spin with the driver person and have played all the Callaway SZ  drivers including the Mavrik TD and the LS is perfect from what I saw in one round. It appears to be low spin and forgiving.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

On 3/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

I'm still trying to find information on what the EI profile for Smoke iM10 Mid looks like. I've swung it some and from that I really have no educated guess as to what other shafts it might be similar to. I have had more success in fitting others with it than I expected to though.

Mitsubishi MMT is Mitsubishi's classic blue profile executed with different materials. Very smooth EI curve and linear loss of stiffness from handle to tip. Comparing MMT to Rogue White, I'd say they're quite comparable overall, but Rogue White being a soft mid design means that they'll feel and load a bit differently. Rogue White may be stiffer in the handle and MMT will be stiffer in the midsection, while their tip stiffness is pretty similar.

I hit the 6.0 iM10 for a round didnt really come to terms with it, then hit the MMT 60-x which seemed much more stable, I since changed drivers from the Epic Speed to the Titleist Tsi2 gonna try that for a week, its got a better stock option for the shafts....... otherwise would go back and try the Max LS good numbers think it needs the MMT with the 60-x ......

6 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

POTT! Post of the thread.....lol......especially someone coming from previous Callaway drivers and hitting my sentiments exactly on point. Did you find Speed to sound/feel any different? 

Haha.... it felt quite similar off the face, just slightly faster and more penetrating if that makes sense. 

in terms of sound, it’s a much duller more thudding sound which I prefer. The standard rogue had that more zingy sound that I think higher handicap players like but the epic speed felt like it was built for the better players preferences. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gjc90 said:

Haha.... it felt quite similar off the face, just slightly faster and more penetrating if that makes sense. 

in terms of sound, it’s a much duller more thudding sound which I prefer. The standard rogue had that more zingy sound that I think higher handicap players like but the epic speed felt like it was built for the better players preferences. 

Again , ALL my findings......it is the reincarnation of my favorite all-time driver....R510 non-tp 330cc.....in every way: Looks,  sound/ feel and flight.....I could never find a lefty 10.5 head but now I have !Screenshot_20210309-110348_Google.jpg.89e720988fd3b4959c20f38db2ec3790.jpgScreenshot_20210309-110308_Google.jpg.168567d8e77aa53aa202ca9a807ffa58.jpg20210308_152324.jpg.fdbdca55bbbad20a08e8d0464b62b170.jpg20210308_152413.jpg.206ea693dab77777a4c0ae2b87ac98e3.jpg

• Like 1

Played 18 today with the Max LS. The fairways are pretty dry still from last week and running out fast - but even with a shaft I'm not loving - I hit some nasty bombs today and had some shots stay in play that had NO BUSINESS being in the fairway. I hit some really gross toe strikes today and they were ALL playable either just on the edge of the fairway or still right down the middle. To hit one OB I have to REALLY push or pull the club. 

I'm pretty convinced on the high MOI of the Max LS. Just need to do shaft testing next week when they all come in.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, golfboy1 said:

I hit the 6.0 iM10 for a round didnt really come to terms with it, then hit the MMT 60-x which seemed much more stable, I since changed drivers from the Epic Speed to the Titleist Tsi2 gonna try that for a week, its got a better stock option for the shafts....... otherwise would go back and try the Max LS good numbers think it needs the MMT with the 60-x ......

I finally heard back from Project X on Instagram about the iM10.

They said it has much in common from an EI curve standpoint with the T800 that was in the original Epic woods. Other comparison they gave was a slightly more active tipped HZRDUS Red.

• Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

I finally heard back from Project X on Instagram about the iM10.

They said it has much in common from an EI curve standpoint with the T800 that was in the original Epic woods. Other comparison they gave was a slightly more active tipped HZRDUS Red.

Those are favorable comparisons in my book. HZRDUS Red is one I like a lot. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

13 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Played 18 today with the Max LS. The fairways are pretty dry still from last week and running out fast - but even with a shaft I'm not loving - I hit some nasty bombs today and had some shots stay in play that had NO BUSINESS being in the fairway. I hit some really gross toe strikes today and they were ALL playable either just on the edge of the fairway or still right down the middle. To hit one OB I have to REALLY push or pull the club. 

I'm pretty convinced on the high MOI of the Max LS. Just need to do shaft testing next week when they all come in.

The toe side forgiveness is some form of magic in the Max LS.  Not sure I've ever tried a driver with so much toe side forgiveness.  

If your miss is toe side.....you'd be a little crazy not to try this driver.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

None for me. I’m coming from an F9 and haven’t seen anything but improvement dispersion wise. If anything I have more of a one way miss now (right) but it’s plenty forgiving afaik. I do tend to hit off the heel more, so maybe other misses are punished more.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

20 minutes ago, dodgyman said:

None for me. I’m coming from an F9 and haven’t seen anything but improvement dispersion wise. If anything I have more of a one way miss now (right) but it’s plenty forgiving afaik. I do tend to hit off the heel more, so maybe other misses are punished more.

Thanks for the info, hard to decide between the three heads.....

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105