Jump to content

2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)


Recommended Posts

Okay so the range is finally back open and I got to hit the max LS outside - besides my swing being all arms and a complete shitshow, the driver still performs great.

 

it however does not like my shaft choices very much. Right now I have the ATMOS black and HZRDUS yellow which are both low/low and im not getting the feel, numbers, or window that I want.

 

the ATMOS black worked great on the mavrik standard but isn’t playing well now with the LS.

 

I have a tensei AV blue, Rogue 110, and diamana S+ limited coming in the next week or so to try out. All mid/mid and mid-low profiles so we’ll see what happens with those.

 

i demod It with the smoke iM10 Which is a mid/mid so im Trying to replicate what I liked when I hit it then.

  • Like 3

Epic Max LS + Tensei CK Pro Blue / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I demo'ed all three heads this weekend. Fully went in thinking the Max LS would be the one for me but the Speed won by a mile. Right from the first drive I couldn't not hit the middle, it was crazy (&

But it’s not 4 bars. It’s a frame.     

Shape on the LS is disappointing for a players driver.  IMO.  

Posted Images

On 3/9/2021 at 8:40 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

 

If the speed had more MOI I would have bought it. It's around ~4500 which is the same as the mavrik std. I'm coming from a mavrik standard so my main point in upgrading wasnt sound, feel, or shape - but forgiveness on heel/toe strikes as well as equal spin on said mis-hits. I can live with the slightly 'egg' shaped head vs the classic looking head.

 

The Max LS gave me INSANE normalization of spin and distance on off-center hits, something like only a ~8yd difference. Whereas the mavrik standard and epic speed gave me a loss of ~15-20yds on off-center hits not to mention the spin differences that would result in hooks/push fades.

 

For all tents and porpoises, the Max LS really is a TD head.

Is that MOI  number on the speed had accurate? It seems like it is really low....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Is that MOI  number on the speed had accurate? It seems like it is really low....

GolfTec on YouTube had Speed at 4800 IIRC.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Diamana TB 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Do they also give the max and max LS moi as well? Can you post the link? Thanks

They did. The video is their initial review of the Epic line. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Diamana TB 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itysbu_zIwI

 

For those that may be interested.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Diamana TB 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone how much the back weight weighs and if the back weight in the speed can be changed out. If so, will any of the older weights work from prior models? I was thinking of putting in a heavier back weight to help with moi and swingweight.....

 

thanks

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrading from my standard rogue. So ive just tested the mavrik, mavrik sz and the new epic speed. Thout id test the mavriks as well due to lower price point. Same shaft in all three, Accra tz6 65 m5 tour cb. My average clubhead speed was 109 (cold scottish winter with layers) with a 3.1 up AOA. 

 

The epic speed was by far and away the best performer for me. Whilst the mavrik sz performed similarly with great numbers on the launch monitor it fell down on the course. When my strike was off with the mavrik sz the spin just died and the ball would just out the sky. The slightly higher spin on the epic speed made it more forgiving on miss hits and I found it was easier to shaoe when I took a bit of speed out of it. 

 

A massive upgrade on my rogue though, ball speed was up and the spin was down where I like it. Also I think the smaller profile sits lovely behind the ball. And despite them saying its slightly draw biased I still found I could cut it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, gjc90 said:

Upgrading from my standard rogue. So ive just tested the mavrik, mavrik sz and the new epic speed. Thout id test the mavriks as well due to lower price point. Same shaft in all three, Accra tz6 65 m5 tour cb. My average clubhead speed was 109 (cold scottish winter with layers) with a 3.1 up AOA. 

 

The epic speed was by far and away the best performer for me. Whilst the mavrik sz performed similarly with great numbers on the launch monitor it fell down on the course. When my strike was off with the mavrik sz the spin just died and the ball would just out the sky. The slightly higher spin on the epic speed made it more forgiving on miss hits and I found it was easier to shaoe when I took a bit of speed out of it. 

 

A massive upgrade on my rogue though, ball speed was up and the spin was down where I like it. Also I think the smaller profile sits lovely behind the ball. And despite them saying its slightly draw biased I still found I could cut it. 

 

POTT! Post of the thread.....lol......especially someone coming from previous Callaway drivers and hitting my sentiments exactly on point. Did you find Speed to sound/feel any different? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Does anyone how much the back weight weighs and if the back weight in the speed can be changed out. If so, will any of the older weights work from prior models? I was thinking of putting in a heavier back weight to help with moi and swingweight.....

 

thanks

The stock back weight in the Speed is 5 grams. They can be switched out with GBB Epic SubZero oem or after-market weights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Found it, looks like the max has 5200 moi which isn’t that much more....

 

I believe they stated that is only one of the MOI measurements (IE- front-back or side-side), so you cant compare it to other 'overall MOI' measurements that put heads like the PING at 10,000+ MOI.

  • Like 1

Epic Max LS + Tensei CK Pro Blue / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the limited online tests, it looks as though Max LS is lower spin than the previous triple diamonds? I think I’ll test back to back with my Mavrik SZ as I think it’s going to be hard to beat. Interested to see what the LS and Speed LS can do. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ TC 5w Tour AD TP 8x (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x | Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.0

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Hi-Toe 4-Way Chrome 60.10 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 (Gamer) | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Linksouldier 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from MGS review page for the new Epics.  Review was silent on MOI for the Speed for whatever reason.

 

Epic Max:

 

Where they’re at is a front-to-back MOI in the mid-5,000s and a combined MOI over 9,000. It’s not PING but it reasonably qualifies as a mid-to-high level of conventional forgiveness.

 

Epic Max LS:

 

Callaway says total MOI is above 8,400 and I’d project a front-to-back number in the high 4,000s to low 5,000s depending on the weight setting.

 

Epic Speed:

 

By conventional metrics, Epic Speed could be considered unforgiving but, as was the case with Mavrik, Callaway maintains that forgiveness in the Epic Speed driver comes from AI Face design and the spin robustness (consistency) provided by the more forward center of gravity.

  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* Driver, HZRDUS Smoke im10 60 5.5

Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4

Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 and 5 Hybrids, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R

Titleist T300 Irons 6-GW, Kuro Kage 105 S

PXG 0311 SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/9), TT Elevate Tour S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

 

I believe they stated that is only one of the MOI measurements (IE- front-back or side-side), so you cant compare it to other 'overall MOI' measurements that put heads like the PING at 10,000+ MOI.

By the same metric they said the g425 max is 5600 moi so it must be the front to back measurement.....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

From the limited online tests, it looks as though Max LS is lower spin than the previous triple diamonds? I think I’ll test back to back with my Mavrik SZ as I think it’s going to be hard to beat. Interested to see what the LS and Speed LS can do. 

I am the typical older OTT high spin with the driver person and have played all the Callaway SZ  drivers including the Mavrik TD and the LS is perfect from what I saw in one round. It appears to be low spin and forgiving.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

I'm still trying to find information on what the EI profile for Smoke iM10 Mid looks like. I've swung it some and from that I really have no educated guess as to what other shafts it might be similar to. I have had more success in fitting others with it than I expected to though.

 

 Mitsubishi MMT is Mitsubishi's classic blue profile executed with different materials. Very smooth EI curve and linear loss of stiffness from handle to tip. Comparing MMT to Rogue White, I'd say they're quite comparable overall, but Rogue White being a soft mid design means that they'll feel and load a bit differently. Rogue White may be stiffer in the handle and MMT will be stiffer in the midsection, while their tip stiffness is pretty similar.

I hit the 6.0 iM10 for a round didnt really come to terms with it, then hit the MMT 60-x which seemed much more stable, I since changed drivers from the Epic Speed to the Titleist Tsi2 gonna try that for a week, its got a better stock option for the shafts....... otherwise would go back and try the Max LS good numbers think it needs the MMT with the 60-x ......

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

 

POTT! Post of the thread.....lol......especially someone coming from previous Callaway drivers and hitting my sentiments exactly on point. Did you find Speed to sound/feel any different? 


Haha.... it felt quite similar off the face, just slightly faster and more penetrating if that makes sense. 
 

in terms of sound, it’s a much duller more thudding sound which I prefer. The standard rogue had that more zingy sound that I think higher handicap players like but the epic speed felt like it was built for the better players preferences. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gjc90 said:


Haha.... it felt quite similar off the face, just slightly faster and more penetrating if that makes sense. 
 

in terms of sound, it’s a much duller more thudding sound which I prefer. The standard rogue had that more zingy sound that I think higher handicap players like but the epic speed felt like it was built for the better players preferences. 

 

Again , ALL my findings......it is the reincarnation of my favorite all-time driver....R510 non-tp 330cc.....in every way: Looks,  sound/ feel and flight.....I could never find a lefty 10.5 head but now I have !Screenshot_20210309-110348_Google.jpg.89e720988fd3b4959c20f38db2ec3790.jpgScreenshot_20210309-110308_Google.jpg.168567d8e77aa53aa202ca9a807ffa58.jpg20210308_152324.jpg.fdbdca55bbbad20a08e8d0464b62b170.jpg20210308_152413.jpg.206ea693dab77777a4c0ae2b87ac98e3.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Played 18 today with the Max LS. The fairways are pretty dry still from last week and running out fast - but even with a shaft I'm not loving - I hit some nasty bombs today and had some shots stay in play that had NO BUSINESS being in the fairway. I hit some really gross toe strikes today and they were ALL playable either just on the edge of the fairway or still right down the middle. To hit one OB I have to REALLY push or pull the club. 

 

I'm pretty convinced on the high MOI of the Max LS. Just need to do shaft testing next week when they all come in.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2

Epic Max LS + Tensei CK Pro Blue / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, golfboy1 said:

I hit the 6.0 iM10 for a round didnt really come to terms with it, then hit the MMT 60-x which seemed much more stable, I since changed drivers from the Epic Speed to the Titleist Tsi2 gonna try that for a week, its got a better stock option for the shafts....... otherwise would go back and try the Max LS good numbers think it needs the MMT with the 60-x ......

I finally heard back from Project X on Instagram about the iM10.

 

They said it has much in common from an EI curve standpoint with the T800 that was in the original Epic woods. Other comparison they gave was a slightly more active tipped HZRDUS Red.

  • Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

 

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

I finally heard back from Project X on Instagram about the iM10.

 

They said it has much in common from an EI curve standpoint with the T800 that was in the original Epic woods. Other comparison they gave was a slightly more active tipped HZRDUS Red.

Those are favorable comparisons in my book. HZRDUS Red is one I like a lot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Played 18 today with the Max LS. The fairways are pretty dry still from last week and running out fast - but even with a shaft I'm not loving - I hit some nasty bombs today and had some shots stay in play that had NO BUSINESS being in the fairway. I hit some really gross toe strikes today and they were ALL playable either just on the edge of the fairway or still right down the middle. To hit one OB I have to REALLY push or pull the club. 

 

I'm pretty convinced on the high MOI of the Max LS. Just need to do shaft testing next week when they all come in.

 

The toe side forgiveness is some form of magic in the Max LS.  Not sure I've ever tried a driver with so much toe side forgiveness.  

 

If your miss is toe side.....you'd be a little crazy not to try this driver.

  • Like 4

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour


[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Link to post
Share on other sites

None for me. I’m coming from an F9 and haven’t seen anything but improvement dispersion wise. If anything I have more of a one way miss now (right) but it’s plenty forgiving afaik. I do tend to hit off the heel more, so maybe other misses are punished more.

  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed -  Autoflex SF505

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Titelist U510  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

5-4: Mizuno MP20 HMB  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

PW-6: Mizuno MP20  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

Wedges: SM8 60,56,52  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dodgyman said:

None for me. I’m coming from an F9 and haven’t seen anything but improvement dispersion wise. If anything I have more of a one way miss now (right) but it’s plenty forgiving afaik. I do tend to hit off the heel more, so maybe other misses are punished more.

Thanks for the info, hard to decide between the three heads.....

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Our picks

    • Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 140 replies
    • 2021 Wells Fargo - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #2
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Ping Glide Forged Pro wedge - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Behind the scenes on the PXG truck - 2021 Wells Fargo
      PXG Gen 4 0311 T & 0311 ST irons - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Jason Day testing a SIK putter with LA Golf shaft - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Scotty Cameron T2 putter - 2021 Wells Fargo
      KH Lee's Odyssey putter - - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Patrick Cantlay's Cameron T-5 - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Rory has the TM "Rors" protos in the bag - 2021 Wells Fargo
       
       
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • 2021 Valspar Championship - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #8
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #9
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #10
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #11
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Axis 1 Proto - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Jimmy Walker "testing" a LA Golf proto putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Scotty Cameron putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
       
      • 17 replies
    • Post in Ping 2021 Irons
      Victor has i59 in the bag this week!
        • Thanks
        • Like
    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 17 replies

×
×
  • Create New...