2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

54 minutes ago, lordemsworth said:

Increasing the weight in the track should increase the MOI and also help increasing launch.  

Are you noticing lack of launch before the trim?

A little low of a launch but I really feel better paying a driver closer to 45 inches for better contact. So trimming the butt about a half inch will drop the swingweight so I figured to add an aftermarket weight 7 grams heavier to get it back between D4-D5. I wasn’t thinking totally about the launch but I don’t want too much backspin on it either..

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I demo'ed all three heads this weekend. Fully went in thinking the Max LS would be the one for me but the Speed won by a mile. Right from the first drive I couldn't not hit the middle, it was crazy (&

Shape on the LS is disappointing for a players driver.  IMO.  

So after my response above, I got bored and made this chart.   Self explanatory - I think - but the colored fading lines show commonality between heads and how much.   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

I was thinking of adding a heavier back weight (20gr  instead of the stock 13 gr) to the max LS to get the swingweight back up after I trim it a half inch. 

Will this increase launch and MOI as well?

it is already a 10.5....thanks

2 hours ago, lordemsworth said:

Increasing the weight in the track should increase the MOI and also help increasing launch.  

Are you noticing lack of launch before the trim?

I think the beauty of the LS is how it launches the ball a shade higher than you’d expect it to and with low spin to maximize distance. Manage face angle properly and the LS is a monster! Adding more back weight may boost launch and spin a fraction but not so much it’ll rob you of distance.

Edited by noodle3872
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Speed 💎💎💎 10.5° driver Tensei Pro Blue 60S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° driver Tensei Pro Blue 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S 

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S 

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Are people finding that swing speed is the main determining factor in determining which of the 3 heads is ideal? Or is it how the golfer delivers the club the key in determining the correct head? Thx. 

I'm thinking from experience,  delivery....also I only tried LS in 9* and now Speed in 10.5 but lofted down..... night and day difference but even if LS was 10.5 I don't think I'd like it as much as I like Speed 

I'm 90ish for reference swingspeed

• Like 1

Are people finding that swing speed is the main determining factor in determining which of the 3 heads is ideal? Or is it how the golfer delivers the club the key in determining the correct head? Thx. 

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on it. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 9*

Titleist TSI2 15*

Titleist TS2 18*

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-pw

Mizuno T20 52 wedge

Mizuno T20 58 wedge

Mizuno M Craft 2 putter

Not that I can tell. I think it all depends on your eye (the Speed looks way way better than the Max LS to me) and your launch characteristics. 

• Like 1

D - Epic Speed | Ventus Blue 6X

3W - TSi2 | Tensei Raw Blue 7TX

3H - Apex Pro 21' | AD DI 8X

4U - X Forged UT 21' | MMT 105TX

5-PW - X Forged CB 21' | DG TI X100

50/55/60 - SM8 | DG TI S400

P - Phantom X 5.5/Special Select NP2

B - ProV1x '21

B - Hoofer

5 hours ago, kwainio said:

I demo'ed all three heads this weekend. Fully went in thinking the Max LS would be the one for me but the Speed won by a mile. Right from the first drive I couldn't not hit the middle, it was crazy (& let me stress, this is not normal for me). The Speed launched higher and w/ more spin than the LS but they were essentially the same total distance. I hit 25 drives in a row w/ the Speed at the end of the session and had an average dispersion of 7 yards offline.. So good.

So now I have an Epic Speed w/ Ventus Blue 6X on the way... This website is terrible for the bank account...

Surprised it managed to beat Tsi? 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ TC 5w Tour AD TP 8x (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x | Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.0

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Hi-Toe 4-Way Chrome 60.10 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 (Gamer) | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Linksouldier 

Just now, TigerInTheWoods said:

Surprised it managed to beat Tsi? 

All about dispersion, hit them basically the same distance. I probably prefer the feel of the Ventus as well, but now I'll have both to swap back and forth for the beginning of the season (and to blame one when I suck).

B - ProV1x '21

B - Hoofer

On 3/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, jeffrey r said:

Ok, finally got out on the course today.  Was a bit chilly.  Was a bit windy.  Only 1/3 of my course open.  But I was outside playing golf, so all was well.

I wasn't the only one out there, and as I mentioned, we only had 6 holes open.  So, I couldn't do majorly extensive swapping and testing, but I was out ahead of everyone, and had some time alone to mix things up.  I brought out my 9* Epic Max, and 9* Epic Max LS heads, with Speeder 661 S/R, Rogue White 60 S, Tensei AV Blue 65 S, IM10 60 6.0 and MMT 60 S.  I try to look at this stuff holistically, and think about what you guys would say if you were watching the results of my swings.  And in that vein, the clear winner was the Epic Max, not the Max LS. 

Pretty significant difference in forgiveness between the two once I was out on the course, and not indoors.  Max LS is still nice, but I think I am going to send back my 9* Max LS for either a 10.5* Max LS head, or just go all-in on the Epic Max and pick up a 10.5* head for versatility.

Epic Max was a fairway finder, but still penetrating.  I had everything at +1 with both heads, but once I narrow down my testing and really drill down on a couple of shafts, I can play around with that a bit more.  Definite draw bias with the Epic Max, but not in a bad way.  And that can still be dialed in with the sliding weight.  Shaft-wise, I gotta say, the Speeder was kind of point and shoot, which I like to see as I was fitted for that at CC with my old Epic Flash.  Tensei was really straight, but a bit higher launching.  I would have no issue at all gaming the Tensei Blue 65 S with the Epic Max.  Couldn't really draw a conclusion on the IM10 and MMT 60.  MMT 60 seemed easier to turn over, perhaps a bit too much.  IM10 seemed a bit more stable and less prone to pulling.  Rogue White was surprisingly a bit behind the Speeder and Tensei in performance.  Will give it more time, but it wasn't the one today--more left/right dispersion that the other two.

That's about all I've got.  Last thing is the sound and feel.  Each head produces a bit of a tink.  Max LS more pronounced than the Max.  This is minimal tink, but I think sound and feel took a step back from the Mavrik I played last season.  Fortunately, not a full-on Ping aluminum bat blast.  But just something to note.  YMMV.

Great writeup, there's some crossover in the heads and shafts you're trying, so I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on these.

I had the MAX 10.5 (weight on toeside, N/S) with the IM10 6.0 60. The thing was high and straight all day long. Really forgiving in my time with it. Just went to a fitting and was put into the MAX LS 9.0 (neutral weight, N/+1) with the MMT 60. In comparison, the MAX/Smoke combo was straight but ballooned a bit too much. My misses with the MAX LS/MMT combo were much better. It moved my spin, launch and decent angle into better averages, adding a bit more ballspeed and carry. I haven't taken the LS onto the course yet, but am eager to see what happens there. I like the MMT as it reminds me of my trusty old Blueboard. 

The part I wanted to ask you about was the Speeder as I have the exact shame shaft and can install the Cally tip. I also have a GD AD BB-6 that I could use, but I think I may lean towards the Speeder as it felt like it loaded and released better for my swing. Any additional comments you might have between the MMT vs. the Speeder?

Audi A-Fore

Titleist Tsi3 10* (C4), AD BBS-6 S

Titleist TS2 16.5* Tensei Blue S (C-2 @ 15.75*, w/ 13g weight)
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Callaway APEX Combo CF19 5-AW, KBS Tour S
Miura Forged Gap Wedge 53
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58 M Grind 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34", On the bench: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010)

On 3/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, SwooshLT said:

Blueboard derivative......Tensei blue 65R AV 💙

I'm old and slothful but definitely saw a pickup with this combo..... 

S7 was my dream /retirement whip but along came Kia's Stinger for half the price , so I went that direction.....

So... interesting results from my fitting yesterday. Went in thinking I'd be coming out with the Speed, ended up with the Max LS 9* w/ MMT 60 (tuned to N/+1). I had a few really good balls and loved the look/feel of the Speed, but the Max LS won out overall for dispersion and consistency. Tried a number of shafts, setups, and tested against the MAX, Sim2, G425 LST, Tsi2, and the Max LS was the repeated winner. My misses were slight, and the spin/launch/decent angles were all really tight with the LS. Speed showed a little more variance, but it was solid for sure. 

Looking forward to seeing how it performs on course! Cheers. 

Audi A-Fore

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34", On the bench: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010)

13 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

So... interesting results from my fitting yesterday. Went in thinking I'd be coming out with the Speed, ended up with the Max LS 9* w/ MMT 60 (tuned to N/+1). I had a few really good balls and loved the look/feel of the Speed, but the Max LS won out overall for dispersion and consistency. Tried a number of shafts, setups, and tested against the MAX, Sim2, G425 LST, Tsi2, and the Max LS was the repeated winner. My misses were slight, and the spin/launch/decent angles were all really tight with the LS. Speed showed a little more variance, but it was solid for sure. 

Looking forward to seeing how it performs on course! Cheers. 

Do you have a stronger grip or swing steady from inside? I'm weak gripped and slightly OTT and Speed head seems to counteract my flaws very well I might add

5 minutes ago, Tommyboi95 said:

Just got word from a reliable source that the Epic Speed LS Triple Diamond will come to the market mid April. Said they’re going to be super limited supply and that they are close to and yes I verified I heard him properly close to 500 to 750 RPMs lower.  Crazy stuff 

Yeah Callaway put that on Instagram about month ago.....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Do you have a stronger grip or swing steady from inside? I'm weak gripped and slightly OTT and Speed head seems to counteract my flaws very well I might add

My swing path is more inside out, it's more of an upward strike (positive AoA). I play more of a straight ball or draw, but cut it when needed. My bad shots with the Speed were further left than I wanted. May try out the Speeder 661 sitting in my closet to see how that affects things. 

Like I said before, I'm the wierdo that hits (slow) high launch, knuckleballs, so finding something that puts me in the right spin and launch numbers is pretty critical. I hit ~10.5 FIR a round, so I'm largely looking to maintain consistent carry numbers and shape it occasionally. 

• Thanks 1

Audi A-Fore

13 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

My swing path is more inside out, it's more of an upward strike (positive AoA). I play more of a straight ball or draw, but cut it when needed. My bad shots with the Speed were further left than I wanted. May try out the Speeder 661 sitting in my closet to see how that affects things. 

Like I said before, I'm the wierdo that hits (slow) high launch, knuckleballs, so finding something that puts me in the right spin and launch numbers is pretty critical. I hit ~10.5 FIR a round, so I'm largely looking to maintain consistent carry numbers and shape it occasionally. 

Sounds like MAX with weight in toe section could be the winner......not LS 

2 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Sounds like MAX with weight in toe section could be the winner......not LS 

That's what I had, but the spin was too high (~2900 +/- 200), particularly on my misses. My decent angle was way too high. The LS was better all around with misses in decent range. Average total yardage difference was 16.7y, average carry difference was about 9y better. My misses were also less offline (no hard right to lefts).  

Audi A-Fore

2 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

That's what I had, but the spin was too high (~2900 +/- 200), particularly on my misses. My decent angle was way too high. The LS was better all around with misses in decent range. Average total yardage difference was 16.7y, average carry difference was about 9y better. My misses were also less offline (no hard right to lefts).  

Oh, my bad......winner winner !

16 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

You said above that you had the 10.5* Max?  Sounds like the 9* Max would have been a good option, but all good if you got fit into the Max LS.  Hope that works great for you on the course.  As I noted above, I had more left/right dispersion with the Max LS compared to the Max.

As to your question about the Speeder 661, it is hard for me to compare that to the MMT 60.  I really only had the one outing outside with the MMT 60, and I wasn't blown away by it.  Doesn't mean it couldn't have worked for me, but I had to send it back to Callaway with the Max LS I was returning within the 30 days.  Speeders are obviously very highly regarded shafts, and I was fit into the Evo VI 661 S/R.  It does work well for me.  It has some kick, doesn't feel boardy, but is stable.  Mid-ish launch, and mid/low-ish spin.

I really seemed to lock in on the HZRDUS im10 60 yesterday, so I am going to give that a run.  Speeder 661, Tensei Blue 65 and Evenflow Riptide 60 also working very well at the moment.  Season just kicking off, so I will likely mix things up to see what works best.   YMMV.  

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* Driver, Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 60 S

Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4

Ping G410 4 Hybrid, Alta CB 70 S

Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), TT DG Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 Putter

Is the speed head really that high spin compared to both max heads? All the reviews I watched don’t speak that highly of it and I don’t like to just go by those. I think the speed looks the best but I have a max LS and only hit it at the range. My local shop didn’t have any speed heads to try.

I came from an m5 10.5 smoke black 70 gram stiff. Weights all the way back. It worked well for me but I got the bug to move on......this damn wrx

Edited by SCOTT4099

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105

7 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Is the speed head really that high spin compared to both max heads? All the reviews I watched don’t speak that highly of it and I don’t like to just go by those. I think the speed looks the best but I have a max LS and only hit it at the range. Seems easy to control. I came from an m5 10.5 smoke black 70 gram stiff. Weights all the way back. It worked well for me but I got the bug to move on......this damn wrx

I have a gbb epic 17 10.5 and a Speed 10.5 both lofted down..... on monitor Speed is 4-600rpm less ......on course similar flight except Speed is flatter with rollout......I'm not the best example but Speed is definitely not high spinning!  

This is a mid speed guy

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Is the speed head really that high spin compared to both max heads? All the reviews I watched don’t speak that highly of it and I don’t like to just go by those. I think the speed looks the best but I have a max LS and only hit it at the range. My local shop didn’t have any speed heads to try.

I came from an m5 10.5 smoke black 70 gram stiff. Weights all the way back. It worked well for me but I got the bug to move on......this damn wrx

The Speed is getting great reviews. It is quite low spin, almost to the LS level. It’s more forgiving than you’d expect from its head shape. I’ve not seen a review where the Speed wasn’t putting up excellent numbers. Maybe it’s lost when compared to the Max for all out forgiveness with competitive distance and the LS’s low spin/forgiveness blend. Then there’s the APW vs fixed weight matter.  Nevertheless, I love my Speed. It’s long, forgiving and a beautiful shape at address. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist Pro V1

12 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

The Speed is getting great reviews. It is quite low spin, almost to the LS level. It’s more forgiving than you’d expect from its head shape. I’ve not seen a review where the Speed wasn’t putting up excellent numbers. Maybe it’s lost when compared to the Max for all out forgiveness with competitive distance and the LS’s low spin/forgiveness blend. Then there’s the APW vs fixed weight matter.  Nevertheless, I love my Speed. It’s long, forgiving and a beautiful shape at address. 

The YouTube reviews I watched, about 5 of them, seemed to dismiss the speed. They didn’t say it was bad but most said it spun too much for them. Most of these guys were swinging  above 110 swing speed. I am around 103 tops. I did see one female reviewer who swung low 90s and she said the max LS fit her best. It just confuses things, I should stop thinking about it and get the speed. Form the photos it reminds me of one of my favorite classics. The 913 D3 head, but I don’t like Titleist for other reasons.....thanks for the info

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105

3 minutes ago, SCOTT4099 said:

The YouTube reviews I watched, about 5 of them, seemed to dismiss the speed. They didn’t say it was bad but most said it spun too much for them. Most of these guys were swinging  above 110 swing speed. I am around 103 tops. I did see one female reviewer who swung low 90s and she said the max LS fit her best. It just confuses things, I should stop thinking about it and get the speed. Form the photos it reminds me of one of my favorite classics. The 913 D3 head, but I don’t like Titleist for other reasons.....thanks for the info

The Speed is a sleeper! I’m 103-105 mph with driver too. I put a 10G weight in the back, set the adapter to -1/N and swing away. With my +6° AOA I get 2200 rpm on good strikes, pure shots dip to 1900 rpm yet bad low strike spin up to 2600 rpm. My Mavrik was good, Speed is better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist Pro V1

17 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

Speed is not high spinning.   It's very stable as well.  The shape is more classic versus the ls.  

The shape of the speed is calling my name but the perceived directional forgiveness/MOI of the LS is holding me back....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105

7 hours ago, bogeypro said:

Speed is not high spinning.   It's very stable as well.  The shape is more classic versus the ls.  

Yup. Speed isn't high spinning at all, I'd say roughly 200-300rpms more than the LS and identical ball speed, for me at least. The hair extra spin just kept it in the ballpark more for me.

Edited by kwainio
  • Like 1

B - ProV1x '21

B - Hoofer