2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

15 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Not sure. I tried them and they work.

The old weights, though, dont get the full rotation in the track since theyre shaped differently. So you dont get the full adjustment, just 90% of it. Maybe thats what people mean.

22 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Ok....why did noodle said it didn't? See...

Because a Callaway’s Direct of Fitting and Player Performance Michael Vrska said the sliding weights from GBB Epic OR Epic Flash do not fit the Epic Max models. He posted on another site that the weights will bind and not seat properly since the track design is different.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

8 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Because a Callaway’s Direct of Fitting and Player Performance Michael Vrska said the sliding weights from GBB Epic OR Epic Flash do not fit the Epic Max models. He posted on another site that the weights will bind and not seat properly since the track design is different.

The Epic Flash weight fits fine in mine and hasn't moved around since install for me.  Like others have said, it's not 100% at the toe but about 95% of the way there since the design isn't the same.  

20210324_193846.jpg

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X 
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18.0 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Raw SM8 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T with Black Onyx Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Inovai 8.0 Black Friday Murdered Out Edition 34.5"

On 3/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, CactusGolf said:

Definitely one of the best headshapes I've seen in a few years.  Ended up putting in the order a few minutes ago.  The 50% trade in helps!

Decided to go with the Tensei Blue over the Riptide since it is a slightly lower spinning shaft.  

During a recent round we compared my friends Epic Speed to another friend's Mavrik and my Rogue SZ. The head shapes as seen from address were identical or nearly so, apart from the paint schemes. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

8 minutes ago, me05501 said:

During a recent round we compared my friends Epic Speed to another friend's Mavrik and my Rogue SZ. The head shapes as seen from address were identical or nearly so, apart from the paint schemes. 

That's good to know!  I always thought the Mavriks looked good, but never had the opportunity to hit one.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

On 3/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, Warrick said:

I am so done chasing drivers....

I listed my Speed on here, so took my 2016 GBB out today, will hit this driver until both heads are dead.

I liked a lot more than Mavrik, but just not nearly the confidence of my gamer

That was a good driver.  Harold Varner still cashing checks with it.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

2 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

Went to buy the Epic Speed and just couldn't bring myself to spend that money.  I'll continue using the EF until the Speed line is up on CPO.

I think thats a good move. I have the Max LS and frankly its the Epic Flash Sub Zero without the front screw in weight and MUCH BETTER sound. So far, any distance gain is marginal and misses -may be- slightly better. But sound, yeah... night and day better in the Max LS.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Played my "normal " course......typical older Florida course.....similar yardages and wind conditions......joined to older than me guys who were down for Spring Training baseball......

1st hole par 4 : 400 downwind.....normal drives end up around the 150ish mark or longer, today I had 110 with a Gap wedge......10ft putt made

3rd hole par 5: 510 n down.......235 but fatted 3wd , sw 2 putt par

5th hole par 4: 340 but into fan......nice high cut with 129 pin.....chippy 7i to 15ft but another 2 putt

6th hole par 4: 390 into and across with back pin.....decent drive leaving 155 and flighted 6i to 12ft......made one!

7th hole par 4: 335 and downwind......leaving 55.....chunky wedge and 1st bogey 

9th hole par 5: 460 into and across, soft left dogleg....pulled hard right ....4i under the trees and to within 50yds of the pin.....bad chip and a 2 putt

10th hole par 4: 335 dogleg right but into......not a drawer of the ball .....water to the right.....and I hit this cool little knockdown stinger......rolled to 115 left 9i and 2 putts

11th par 5; 470 across mostly in......another knockdown stinger leaving 230......3wd just short but another poor chip with 2 putt

12th hole par 4: 390 downwind soft dogleg right...... not needing driver as I don't turn it but feeling confident, I hit my cut over the right hand corner and it was perfect.....pw from 123 with 2 putt

13th hole par 4: soft left with large bunker that ends at the 100 mark......thought I missed it into the bunker but actually over the water's edge but behind a tree .....best chipout 8i under the branch and running onto the green .....20ft 2 putts

15th hole par 4: 365 across and in.....127 and 8i.....2 putts........theme

18th hole par 5: 500 yd dogleg left downwind and just smoothly struck a high cut leaving 213 with hybrid......not solid on with 2 putts for birdie

This added up to a smooth 3 under 69 with 15 GIR's 12/14 fwys (2/2 with hybrid)

Speed put me in positions that make it easy to score......I've missed center enough to know it great on low strikes, toe strikes and high strikes.....tee height remains normal ......teeing down isn't necessary

#SPEEDRULZ

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a great day of driving with the Max LS yesterday. Walked the front 9 and was in play all evening.

Had a bad day of driving today, but the Max LS forgiveness saved me multiple times. The third hole on our 9 hole course has a forced 220-230 carry over water and with my last three drivers I would be wet on a bad strike and/or push fade out to the right. The Max LS on a terrible strike went straight and carried it. I was amazed.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Max LS with the Fuji Pro 2.0 6X is just getting better every round, I am not a long ball hitter but this thing is putting me in places I have not seen before. I loved the PXG proto X but this 10.5* head with the same shaft is much much longer for me. 

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

1 hour ago, Reds said:

Im going in for a fitting next Thursday. Ive played nothing but Ping Drivers for the last 6 years. Im jumping on the Callaway train this year. Im thinking the Epic Speed will be what I end up with. Im not sure I need the LS. We shall see

The LS isnt for someone who needs insanely low spin, it's for someone who wants the forgiveness of a 'max' head but doesnt want the spin of it. So if you liked the Ping G400 or G410 Max and wanted less spin, the Max LS is the 'bomb'.

• Like 4

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

The Epic Max even has me hitting some fairways.  It has made a difference in the few rounds I have had with it.  Playing out of the fairway led to a 37 on the back today.  I already had a Ping fitting scheduled for April 7th before I bought the Epic on a whim.  I guess I will go forward with it and see if the Ping gives me anything better.  The fitting is outside with Trackman, so should be telling.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

1st round with the Epic Max LS. I played a different course today, know it well but it's been a while. A lot more tree lined so it was demanding to hit the driver straight but it was not narrow.

THe EMLS was matched to my Ventus Blue velocore. Back weight is 15.5 gm weight. The upper weight came from my old OG GBB Epic. The screw and bottom weight is actually from the original LS weight. Combined, it seems to sit inside the track well.  As well because of the finished  44 1/2" length and a larger grip, I had to add 4gms of lead under the JailBreak - just to bring it to D3 swing weight exactly.

Overall, it was a mixed bag driving day.

Three of the holes, the EMLS nailed it. Literally, it was long, long. My regular playing bud remarked the EMLS is definitely straighter than my Cobra Pars And Stripes. However, he seems to think overall, it was shorter. Although 3 of the holes seems to disapprove that. He hit some great drives and my drives are usually a good 30 yards+ ahead but a few holes, my drives barely pipped him.

I think the EMLS has potential, just need to tweak the driver and may be, get use to it. The positive is that we both agree it was, in the end, straighter but just need to find the distance to match or beat the Cobra had. Next week, it back to my regular course and then I can compare it more closely.

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I hit two that rival anything I have ever hit with any Driver and even going back 10-15 years when I was a lot younger and much more fit. One was with a right to left wind of 15 mph or more and it was 280, the next hole was straight downwind and it landed and stopped right at 300 yds out.

That is crazy long for me, now I did everything right on both drives played the cross wind one with a slight draw down the right side and it hit a slight downhill hump and ran a bit, and the downwind I teed it real high and hit up on it a good bit launching it real high so the wind would take it and just pured it nice and straight. 

Had a few mishits that were really bad stiff back swings and still got out there pretty good and all were in play so I think I have found the unicorn driver for a while for this 62 year old. Now if all the holes could be downwind I would feel manly all the time, but my average drive, no wind, good strike I do believe is close to 240-250 which is 10 yds or so longer than the PXG proto was on the same Courses.

My one buddy is going tomrrow to get fit for EPIC, he has a flash that he hits real well and from the forward tees we were normally quite close together with good drives. Not anymore...

• Like 2

SLED # 1  35.5

7 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

I hit two that rival anything I have ever hit with any Driver and even going back 10-15 years when I was a lot younger and much more fit. One was with a right to left wind of 15 mph or more and it was 280, the next hole was straight downwind and it landed and stopped right at 300 yds out.

That is crazy long for me, now I did everything right on both drives played the cross wind one with a slight draw down the right side and it hit a slight downhill hump and ran a bit, and the downwind I teed it real high and hit up on it a good bit launching it real high so the wind would take it and just pured it nice and straight. 

Had a few mishits that were really bad stiff back swings and still got out there pretty good and all were in play so I think I have found the unicorn driver for a while for this 62 year old. Now if all the holes could be downwind I would feel manly all the time, but my average drive, no wind, good strike I do believe is close to 240-250 which is 10 yds or so longer than the PXG proto was on the same Courses.

My one buddy is going tomrrow to get fit for EPIC, he has a flash that he hits real well and from the forward tees we were normally quite close together with good drives. Not anymore...

Curious but are you playing X flex in your driver? 

1 minute ago, SwooshLT said:

Curious but are you playing X flex in your driver? 

Yes have for years, not for distance for control. I have a pretty bad OTT move that shows up a lot and I get super high spin if I am not careful, I started with a GD AD BB7X a few years ago and the fuji pro 2.0 6x just outdid it in my PXG fitting for the proto. The fitter was laughing at me when I said to start with an X flex but by the end aftering trying just about everything else he put the in the fuji 6x tipped 1" and playing at 46". He also ended up putting the fuji pro 2.0 7x in the fairway woods also tipped 1" it just works better for my swing or lack of swing, I am fairly large at 6 ft and 215 lbs just old and pretty worn down. 

Yes I could get a few more yards out of a Stiff or maybe more out of a regular but I like to find my golf ball more often than not so a few less yards is better imo. I don't go nuts with tee boxes and try to stay around 6,300 max, 6,000 is better most of time. 

Oddly enough I play regular Nippon 950 neo shafts in my irons and seem to get along very well with them. 

• Thanks 1

SLED # 1  35.5

22 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

Yes have for years, not for distance for control. I have a pretty bad OTT move that shows up a lot and I get super high spin if I am not careful, I started with a GD AD BB7X a few years ago and the fuji pro 2.0 6x just outdid it in my PXG fitting for the proto. The fitter was laughing at me when I said to start with an X flex but by the end aftering trying just about everything else he put the in the fuji 6x tipped 1" and playing at 46". He also ended up putting the fuji pro 2.0 7x in the fairway woods also tipped 1" it just works better for my swing or lack of swing, I am fairly large at 6 ft and 215 lbs just old and pretty worn down. 

Yes I could get a few more yards out of a Stiff or maybe more out of a regular but I like to find my golf ball more often than not so a few less yards is better imo. I don't go nuts with tee boxes and try to stay around 6,300 max, 6,000 is better most of time. 

Oddly enough I play regular Nippon 950 neo shafts in my irons and seem to get along very well with them. 

Hey, whatever works! I'm a smidge younger at 55 but beat up......similar build at 6' 195 but thin and gangly......amt black r300 in my T200 4-gw but Mitsubishi products in woods....Tensei 65R blue AV/ blueboard 83R and hybrid has S+ 70 ....... smoother long swinger ; slightly OTT .......same tee boxes as you ....... what's your 7i stock? 

My drivers for past 3yrs have been 215-235 without much deviation.....Speed puts me in 225-255 range all conditions with same added bonus of downwind being stupid crazy gains......260,270 even a few 290-300......shouldn't happen at my speed but I've found that unicorn keeping accuracy high but adding distance! 

The combo set of APEX is still a bit confusing to me, with the PXG gen 3 0311T a stock 7 was in the 150 range. The APEX is looking like close to 165-170, but I have hit some further and some less. Just now feeling better (swing wise) after knee surgery in Jan. So I think it will settle down around 170 in the next few weeks and 8-10 more rounds. I HOPE

SLED # 1  35.5

38 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

The combo set of APEX is still a bit confusing to me, with the PXG gen 3 0311T a stock 7 was in the 150 range. The APEX is looking like close to 165-170, but I have hit some further and some less. Just now feeling better (swing wise) after knee surgery in Jan. So I think it will settle down around 170 in the next few weeks and 8-10 more rounds. I HOPE

Is this 21 Apex? Combo with Pro or dcb? 

44 minutes ago, rkelso184 said:

so ive read 28 pages and still have nothing on the MMT shaft lol. I found on page 10 someone said go back a page or 2 but again nothing! I really want to know what this is like. If anyone can give me some info it would be great. In relation to Ventus Blue, Tensi Raw, Fuji Pro would be even better 🙂

I seemed to get too much launch and spin with the Speed head, no numbers, but easy to tell on course compared to Ventus black. I ditched the head and shaft, back to GBB

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

58 minutes ago, rkelso184 said:

so ive read 28 pages and still have nothing on the MMT shaft lol. I found on page 10 someone said go back a page or 2 but again nothing! I really want to know what this is like. If anyone can give me some info it would be great. In relation to Ventus Blue, Tensi Raw, Fuji Pro would be even better 🙂

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1789024-mmt-driver-shafts-anyone-tried-it/page/2/

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I actually have that shaft coming in (hopefully) a few days in my Epic Speed.  I'll be testing it against my Black Tie.  I think the MMT should be a slightly higher launching shaft than the Black Tie.  There was a really, really long backorder with Tensei Blue, so I decided to go with MMT instead.

Looks like my driver is shipping from Mexico (didn't realize Callaway's stuff came out of there), so we'll see how long it takes to get to Kentucky.

Edited by CactusGolf

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

2 hours ago, Warrick said:

I seemed to get too much launch and spin with the Speed head, no numbers, but easy to tell on course compared to Ventus black. I ditched the head and shaft, back to GBB

That is what I see from the gbb epic 17 head.....consistently higher launch and spin(especially into the wind) than Epic Speed......different strokes my friend 

5 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

That is what I see from the gbb epic 17 head.....consistently higher launch and spin(especially into the wind) than Epic Speed......different strokes my friend 

My reference was to him wanting feedback on the MMT, just was referencing what head.

I tested both the MMT and Ventus black in the speed head, more launch and spin with MMT.

Not dissing on your driver.....

• Thanks 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

3 hours ago, rkelso184 said:

For me, I get White board performance with blue board feel.  I was actually 6 yards more carry with mmt over ventus.  

Edited by bogeypro
Correction

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter