2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

14 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Max LS continues to impress. Again, I havent been seeing any positive gains like this from any driver in recent years. CT is maxed our COR whatever blah blah yeah I know.

I really hate the phrase '..seeing parts of the course I never usually see' because it's super cringe, but here we are. It's not really parts I haven't seen, but I'm a consistent 10-20yds further - sometimes 30 - than my last several years in the Epic Flash and Mavrik (standard) heads.

A mis-hit on those heads would have been 220yd duck hook or slice for me. I've done it with this head, too, but the frequency is extremely low and mis-hits that I can physically FEEL are going within 20yds of my good hits and staying in play.

I've posted this before but the distance and dispersion of mis-hits is insane on the Max LS. 

Side note; the 'real deal' Tensei Pro shafts are also really great.

Did you ever due a comparison between the Tensei pro (blue right?) vs your other shafts? Would be interested to hear your thoughts between shafts.  Thanks 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

1 minute ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Did you ever due a comparison between the Tensei pro (blue right?) vs your other shafts? Would be interested to hear your thoughts between shafts.  Thanks 

Yeah the CK Pro won out. Fantastic shaft. The S+ Limited and Tensei AV tipped .5" were nice but the consistency and better feel of the CK Pro was noticeable. 

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

46 minutes ago, Warrick said:

My reference was to him wanting feedback on the MMT, just was referencing what head.

I tested both the MMT and Ventus black in the speed head, more launch and spin with MMT.

Not dissing on your driver.....

Not taking it that way...... I NEED launch and Spin......I could see how someone could get too much of either.....we are good.....Callaway offers choices and makes a flavor for all players! 

26 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Max LS continues to impress. Again, I havent been seeing any positive gains like this from any driver in recent years. CT is maxed our COR whatever blah blah yeah I know.

I really hate the phrase '..seeing parts of the course I never usually see' because it's super cringe, but here we are. It's not really parts I haven't seen, but I'm a consistent 10-20yds further - sometimes 30 - than my last several years in the Epic Flash and Mavrik (standard) heads.

A mis-hit on those heads would have been 220yd duck hook or slice for me. I've done it with this head, too, but the frequency is extremely low and mis-hits that I can physically FEEL are going within 20yds of my good hits and staying in play.

I've posted this before but the distance and dispersion of mis-hits is insane on the Max LS. 

Carbon copy of my Speed findings......very happy for you! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I took a flyer on this one and just bought a head and plugged in the Fuji Pro 2.0, never been fit better for a Driver haha. Just a lucky shot in the dark, but I loved the shaft in the PXG so figured it was a good gamble. 

It is nuts how you get away with mishits, that is huge for those of us that do not swing 110-120 mph and never miss the center or maybe it is more important the faster you swing.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Tried an Epic Speed head in 10.5, but hit it too high and it wanted to fade on me. Put it up in the classifieds if anyone needs one to try. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

25 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Tried an Epic Speed head in 10.5, but hit it too high and it wanted to fade on me. Put it up in the classifieds if anyone needs one to try. 

Take loft off -1 and set it to D setting.......definitely easy to launch and this is what I had to do for optimal performance 

What shaft?

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Take loft off -1 and set it to D setting.......definitely easy to launch and this is what I had to do for optimal performance 

What shaft?

I moved my LS into the D setting, too. Shorter shaft flattened the lie and the D Setting brought it back to spec.

• Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I’ll give it another session with the loft turned down. Not a fan of the feel or sound compared to my Rogue SZ...it would have to deliver great performance to stick around, and so far I’m not impressed. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Too "quiet" for you? 

Lord no. It sounds like you're driving a railroad spike. Very high-pitched and metallic, IMO. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Picked up a speed 10.5 smoke im 60 stiff. Might shorten a half inch and add a heavier weight. Also may try the mmt 60 stiff to compare. Anyone compare these two shafts?

I liked the im10 better. ymmv. but neither are what im currently playing.

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

Lord no. It sounds like you're driving a railroad spike. Very high-pitched and metallic, IMO. 

WOW! Only gotten that sound on extreme mis-hits......center or near center have been a very muted THUD .......I've heard that sound primarily higher on the face

Edited by SwooshLT
  • Like 1

Just now, SwooshLT said:

WOW! Only gotten that sound on extreme mis-hits......center or near center have been a very muted THUD .......I've heard that sound primarily higher on the face

Good to know. I'll give it another run. 

• Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Okay, had a bit of a better range session this morning. 

Earlier I used the Pro 62 Green from my gamer in the Speed 10.5 head. Today I tried a Project X 5.5 I had laying around. The PX5.5 was definitely a better fit for me in this head. The ball flight was lower and less prone to tail off to the right after its apex. 

Per the suggestion from swoosh I also teed the ball lower to hit the equator of the clubface a bit more. This seemed to improve the sound, feel and flight. I guess the days of trying to hit above the equator for max distance are in the past now that AI is assisting in design. 

I tried the 10.5 head at -1/D and S/D. Still not 100% sure which I would prefer without getting on a LM. The -1 is just below the launch window I prefer, and the stated loft puts a little too much air under it. I have some spare weights in 3g and 6g and may swap those out for the stock 2g weight in the -1/D setting to see if it brings the launch window up just enough. 

Since the Project X fits the Speed better than the other shaft, I can leave the Pro 62 in my Rogue SZ and shoot them out side by side as time allows. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

36 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Okay, had a bit of a better range session this morning. 

Earlier I used the Pro 62 Green from my gamer in the Speed 10.5 head. Today I tried a Project X 5.5 I had laying around. The PX5.5 was definitely a better fit for me in this head. The ball flight was lower and less prone to tail off to the right after its apex. 

Per the suggestion from swoosh I also teed the ball lower to hit the equator of the clubface a bit more. This seemed to improve the sound, feel and flight. I guess the days of trying to hit above the equator for max distance are in the past now that AI is assisting in design. 

I tried the 10.5 head at -1/D and S/D. Still not 100% sure which I would prefer without getting on a LM. The -1 is just below the launch window I prefer, and the stated loft puts a little too much air under it. I have some spare weights in 3g and 6g and may swap those out for the stock 2g weight in the -1/D setting to see if it brings the launch window up just enough. 

Since the Project X fits the Speed better than the other shaft, I can leave the Pro 62 in my Rogue SZ and shoot them out side by side as time allows. 

Yeah, it's funny how now we're no longer "tee it high, let it fly" ......

Also I'm pretty sure stock weight is 5g 

I'm very happy to see that you stuck it out and gave it another chance.....😉😁

9 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yeah, it's funny how now we're no longer "tee it high, let it fly" ......

Also I'm pretty sure stock weight is 5g 

I'm very happy to see that you stuck it out and gave it another chance.....😉😁

Intersting. The weight in my head is definitely 2g, though I just swapped it out for a 5g weight I happened to have. More to follow. Still not expecting huge gains over my current rig but maybe I can dial in more forgiveness. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

9 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Intersting. The weight in my head is definitely 2g, though I just swapped it out for a 5g weight I happened to have. More to follow. Still not expecting huge gains over my current rig but maybe I can dial in more forgiveness. 

Yeah, I don't see much in total over gbb epic 17 10.5 that I was using except reduction in overall spin that meant better into flight and a tad more roll.....different shafts in each however and they both fit the needs of each driver as I tried swapping like you did with px vs fuji.....

I wonder why your stock wgt is a 2g? 

24 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yeah, I don't see much in total over gbb epic 17 10.5 that I was using except reduction in overall spin that meant better into flight and a tad more roll.....different shafts in each however and they both fit the needs of each driver as I tried swapping like you did with px vs fuji.....

I wonder why your stock wgt is a 2g? 

Drivers have 'goop' inside them in various spots. I'm assuming some kind of factory hotmelt to bring the head up to a certain spec and also give draw bias without weights, but it has a tolerance of its own +- a few grams. The final thing to bring the driver up to the 196g or whatever spec is probably that back weight and between 2-5g.

It could also depend on the stock shaft that came with the head. The im10 and MMT, etc have different balance points, so a different weight may be needed for the correct SW.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Drivers have 'goop' inside them in various spots. I'm assuming some kind of factory hotmelt to bring the head up to a certain spec and also give draw bias without weights, but it has a tolerance of its own +- a few grams. The final thing to bring the driver up to the 196g or whatever spec is probably that back weight and between 2-5g.

It could also depend on the stock shaft that came with the head. The im10 and MMT, etc have different balance points, so a different weight may be needed for the correct SW.

Yeah thanks , I totally get that and shouldn't have questioned his 2g wgt.....

I have my UNICORN as do you! 😍😍😍😍

• Like 1

After replacing the weight, my buddy called and suggested going to the range over lunch so I was all over that. 

He has an Epic Speed 9* head with one of the available shafts. The MMT I'm pretty sure. His head had a 5g weight in it (had to check naturally). 

Our drivers definitely sound different. His has a more solid thwack, almost persimmon-like. Similar to my Rogue SZ. Mine is definitely more metallic sounding. I'm going to inquire with Callaway to learn if that is to be expected since the faces on the 9 and 10.5 are different. I'm also going to send them the serial number just to double check authenticity. My club seems authentic in every way but it's never a bad idea to check clubs coming from ebay. 

I used a contact sticker during this session and confirmed that I was getting center-face contact. Even with the 5g weight, the stated loft setting was working better for me. Fairly high flight but not ballooning. Good swings were giving me good results. High straight to tiny draw flight. We were hitting downwind so I'm not ready to make any judgements on distance. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

53 minutes ago, me05501 said:

After replacing the weight, my buddy called and suggested going to the range over lunch so I was all over that. 

He has an Epic Speed 9* head with one of the available shafts. The MMT I'm pretty sure. His head had a 5g weight in it (had to check naturally). 

Our drivers definitely sound different. His has a more solid thwack, almost persimmon-like. Similar to my Rogue SZ. Mine is definitely more metallic sounding. I'm going to inquire with Callaway to learn if that is to be expected since the faces on the 9 and 10.5 are different. I'm also going to send them the serial number just to double check authenticity. My club seems authentic in every way but it's never a bad idea to check clubs coming from ebay. 

I used a contact sticker during this session and confirmed that I was getting center-face contact. Even with the 5g weight, the stated loft setting was working better for me. Fairly high flight but not ballooning. Good swings were giving me good results. High straight to tiny draw flight. We were hitting downwind so I'm not ready to make any judgements on distance. 

Sorry to hear about the sound disparity......that sound is very reminiscent of my all-time favorite driver the R510 non-tp 330cc........but yeah my 10.5 is definitely "quiet" sound...... downwind shots just go! I'm hitting it 270-290 and I'm nowhere near that long......almost drove a 320ish par 4 downwind.......and was left with 213 on a 500yd par 5.....that I'm never inside 250! 

Keep it going.....

I sent Callaway an email with the S/N to be sure it matches what they manufactured. The ebay seller has really good stats and sells a lot of new heads and shafts as separate components.

I've seen sellers use that strategy with other merchandise before. They'll buy up Fender instruments and take them apart and sell the components, and clear a bit more profit than if they resold the guitars themselves. I figure this is the same.  

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

7 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Can anyone speak on the different balance points of the Im10 vs mmt?  I was not aware of this....thanks 

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

So I have three shafts that on paper are pretty similar:

Pro 62 Green stiff

ProLaunch Blue reg

Project X Black 5.5

The Pro 62 is a perfect mate for my Rogue SZ but didn’t work well in the Epic Speed. I tried the ProLaunch today and it didn’t work well either. 

It was really interesting to use impact stickers while rolling through these shafts. With the PX Black and the Epic Speed, I can put 3-4 impact marks right in the center of the sticker. With the ProLaunch they’re all over the place. I assume the Pro 62 Green was the same though I didn’t use a sticker with it. 

It’s obvious to me now that even when two shafts have similar frequencies and bend profiles they can give very different results in strike pattern. The combination of the head weight plus the balance point, torque and kick point of the shaft combine to create “fit” and you just have to try it to see it for yourself because every combo is unique. Every swing too. 

While I saved a lot of money on a detailed fitting and purchasing the club at retail, somehow I ended up more sold on fitting than before. Guess I had to convince myself. 

Now it’s got me thinking about my irons and how well the shafts I’m using really fit me. I make them work, but now I wonder. 

• Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS