2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

41 minutes ago, ssfranny said:

So I have a Epic flash regular with hot melt in it and a Subzero 10.5 degree.  Didnt go with Mavrik but if I was gonna get something to replace either which one should I get of the new ones.  Not as much on forgiveness part I need distance.  SS around 90-95 MPH

Same boat ......try all but SPEED gave me much needed distance!  

17 hours ago, ssfranny said:

So I have a Epic flash regular with hot melt in it and a Subzero 10.5 degree.  Didnt go with Mavrik but if I was gonna get something to replace either which one should I get of the new ones.  Not as much on forgiveness part I need distance.  SS around 90-95 MPH

I was playing a Rogue SZ and recently picked up a Speed. They're very similar on center contact. The Speed is better outside the sweet spot. I can still get a little wild with either, but on the course the Speed has been pretty much point and shoot. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Today, played another round in the Los Angeles City Muni, this time at Balboa GC in the Sepulveda basin. Have not played there in over a year and the course is somewhat penalizing if you stray because of the mature trees and smallish greens with some pretty devious bunkers if your ball is in the wrong spot on the fairway.

ALL UP: ❤❤❤ my Max LS.

Straight and long.

Notable shots: 11th, almost drove the green today, just a little left in the rough, chip in Eagle. 16th, gotta hit a fade but ended up a high, straight shot over the dog leg trees with about 47 yards to pin. Easily carried that dog leg bunker. Can't remember hammering one down there in a long time. Overall, hit a lot of fairways today and more than I can remember.

Final score, -1. Best score on that course for me.

I think I am done tinkering with the shaft/driver combo. Ventus Blue Velocore, tipped 3/4", playing at 44 1/2" with a 15.5 gm weight in the rear and 4 gms under the jailbreak. D2.5 swing weight.

Also, this driver is SNEAKY LONG, it isn't flashy loud, there's no buttery squish feel like my Cobra Pars and Stripes, but the thing just flies almost level flight and rolls and rolls. I don't think I have been disappointed with any drives.

ps I keep thinking when I will go back to my Pars and Stripes, the Max LS has completely removed that thought after today and these last few rounds. It's THAT GOOD guys!

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Welp, I'm a shaftho.

I'm back in the Pro 2.0 Tour Spec. This shaft + the launch/spin window of the Max LS head in 10.5 is showing to be more versatile than the Tensei CK Pro in -1.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

On 4/11/2021 at 1:17 AM, SwingBlues said:

Today, played another round in the Los Angeles City Muni, this time at Balboa GC in the Sepulveda basin. Have not played there in over a year and the course is somewhat penalizing if you stray because of the mature trees and smallish greens with some pretty devious bunkers if your ball is in the wrong spot on the fairway.

ALL UP: ❤❤❤ my Max LS.

Straight and long.

Notable shots: 11th, almost drove the green today, just a little left in the rough, chip in Eagle. 16th, gotta hit a fade but ended up a high, straight shot over the dog leg trees with about 47 yards to pin. Easily carried that dog leg bunker. Can't remember hammering one down there in a long time. Overall, hit a lot of fairways today and more than I can remember.

Final score, -1. Best score on that course for me.

I think I am done tinkering with the shaft/driver combo. Ventus Blue Velocore, tipped 3/4", playing at 44 1/2" with a 15.5 gm weight in the rear and 4 gms under the jailbreak. D2.5 swing weight.

Also, this driver is SNEAKY LONG, it isn't flashy loud, there's no buttery squish feel like my Cobra Pars and Stripes, but the thing just flies almost level flight and rolls and rolls. I don't think I have been disappointed with any drives.

ps I keep thinking when I will go back to my Pars and Stripes, the Max LS has completely removed that thought after today and these last few rounds. It's THAT GOOD guys!

So I am only two weeks in and still very much in the honeymoon phase, but couldn't agree more with your assessment.  Just playing the stock MMT but have a few other shafts that tested well and gave similar numbers.  So much more forgiving than the Epic Flash Sub Zero that I am coming from - and perhaps because of that - more consistently longer.

Edited by cubuffs
  • Like 2

I just played in a three day event. The first two days I was fighting my swing, using my Epic Speed but not really swinging well at all. On the third day I went back to basics on the range during my warm up, and also put my old faithful Rogue SZ in the bag for that round. I had a good day and hit a lot of fairways so that built my confidence back up. 

Today I played in a scramble and I took out another club so I could carry both drivers as a security blanket. I ended up using the Epic Speed all day and hit some very nice balls with it. I still feel like my launch or spin must be a little higher than optimal but I still don’t like turning my head down to 9.5 because it seems to really ramp up the side spin. 

I’m playing again tomorrow, and playing my own ball so I need to feel confident on the tee. I’ll prob take the Epic Speed but may hit both on the range before hand. I think my Rogue SZ has a better flight in the wind so it may be dependent on conditions when we tee off. 

I think my plan is to take the Speed to Golf Headquarters soon to audition some new shafts. I think they offer fitting appts for a minimal cost and they have hundreds of shafts for fitting. The Project X Black 5.5 I’m using now gives me center contact but might be launching me too high. Need to see the numbers. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Just ordered an epic max ls 9* w/ ventus black 7x. I’ve hit everything I could test, and this gave me the best feel and dispersion. Even at -1 spin can get a little higher than optimal (2800), but that’s more on my dynamic loft than equipment. The forgiveness across the face and consistency make that an easy tradeoff. Launch 15, 155 ball speed, 1.45 efficiency. 3-5 up aoa. I was worried the shaft was too much for my 108 swing speed, but it feels way less burly than I expected. Very smooth with a nice load, release feel. I hit it much better than the 6s. I do also have a 7s ordered, as I think the 7 profile is different from the 6. This will be a fun setup for the year. Now I wait on shipment. 

Edited by mtcowdog
  • Like 1

I just got my Epic Max 10.5 in with the Fujikura Speeder. I got fit and was able to hit everything.WOW is all I have to say!! This thing gets up and goes!! My fitter did a fantastic job! I can release it and not worry about it going way left. It’s either straight or a very little draw. My miss is the dreaded toe hook. This club is so forgiving, I still get great ball speed on miss hits.

Edited by Joe Jordan
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, me05501 said:

After replacing the weight, my buddy called and suggested going to the range over lunch so I was all over that. 

He has an Epic Speed 9* head with one of the available shafts. The MMT I'm pretty sure. His head had a 5g weight in it (had to check naturally). 

Our drivers definitely sound different. His has a more solid thwack, almost persimmon-like. Similar to my Rogue SZ. Mine is definitely more metallic sounding. I'm going to inquire with Callaway to learn if that is to be expected since the faces on the 9 and 10.5 are different. I'm also going to send them the serial number just to double check authenticity. My club seems authentic in every way but it's never a bad idea to check clubs coming from ebay. 

I used a contact sticker during this session and confirmed that I was getting center-face contact. Even with the 5g weight, the stated loft setting was working better for me. Fairly high flight but not ballooning. Good swings were giving me good results. High straight to tiny draw flight. We were hitting downwind so I'm not ready to make any judgements on distance. 

What does this mean that the faces on the 9 and 10.5 are different? 

3 minutes ago, Mainehacker21 said:

What does this mean that the faces on the 9 and 10.5 are different? 

Supposedly the AI design of each face is optimized for that loft. Who knows how different they really are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Mainehacker21 said:

Thanks I ordered a 9 that I’ll crank up to 10 to close the face a little, I normally play 10.5 hoping I made the right call. 

I think that's a great option. I have a 10.5 and sometimes feel like I'm hitting it too high, but taking it down to 9.5 brings in too much sidespin for me. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Went through a fitting today and ended up in an Epic Max LS 10.5 with the MMT 70X. That shaft/head combo produced a perfect ball flight with a 13 degree launch angle while keeping spin in the manageable 2200-2500 range.

The im10 shaft felt a bit loose and was giving about 15 degree launch and 3000 spin, but as soon as we switched to the MMT, the Epic Max LS was the clear winner over the TSi3 and Sim 2. I struggled launching the TSi3 into the right window, as it was only averaging about 10 degrees of launch. Can’t wait to get this club out on the course.

Edited by AB515
  • Like 3

I have said it before but after about 10 rounds it is clear the MAX LS  is the 1st Driver in the last 5 or 6 I have bought that actually gives me more usable yards on the Course. The really good swings under the right conditions are just stupid long for me, but the average everyday swings are still longer and most are in play. We play in a Sunday group that has been the same folks for years and the guy that has always been even or a bit longer than me is now 10-15 yds behind on the average drives and 20-30 on the really nutted ones.

I have the 10.5 with Fuji Pro 2.0 6X set at S/D with the slider almost to the toe side and unless I get stupid it just fades a bit or goes straight.

• Like 2

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

So I have what I thought was a very easy and simple question but can’t seem to find the answer anywhere. Can someone help me get lie angle numbers for the LS max with the adjustment hosel? I think the neutral setting is 57* but what is the lie angle in the draw setting? Thanks. 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

2 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

So I have what I thought was a very easy and simple question but can’t seem to find the answer anywhere. Can someone help me get lie angle numbers for the LS max with the adjustment hosel? I think the neutral setting is 57* but what is the lie angle in the draw setting? Thanks. 

2 degrees up with D setting 

• Like 1

I'm going to try to swap my 10.5* Speed head for a 9* Speed head. I think a 9* turned up to 10* will be better overall than the 10.5* at stated loft (too high) or turned down to 9.5* (opens the face). 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Still stupid good.

Playing into a 30 mph head wind with the Chrome Soft X LS ball. Center contact, while the trajectory appears to be a high push, man - that ball got out there like there was no wind.

I as stunned.

One negative though, the gear effect does appear to bring in the hooky draw when I clip it on the toe side. I am thinking of changing the weight to be a slight fade setting to see if it will counter that. Anyone else notice that?

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

6 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Still stupid good.

Playing into a 30 mph head wind with the Chrome Soft X LS ball. Center contact, while the trajectory appears to be a high push, man - that ball got out there like there was no wind.

I as stunned.

One negative though, the gear effect does appear to bring in the hooky draw when I clip it on the toe side. I am thinking of changing the weight to be a slight fade setting to see if it will counter that. Anyone else notice that?

I have the weight shoved all of the way in the toe of my Max and the forgiveness on toe strikes is fantastic. There is a slight distance penalty, but the ball flight is indistinguishable from a center strike unless I miss WAAAAY out on the toe.

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX

On 4/18/2021 at 10:00 PM, SwooshLT said:

Where did you obtain this number?  

Callaway community. Had this same question with my Mav SZ last Fall (moved to LS last month) and spent hours combing through the web. Can’t find my original link that had a Callaway forum moderator provide this data.

Edited by kc_rooster
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Still stupid good.

I as stunned.

I've always had a hook miss since I am a top-left-of-center strike location hitter but I dont notice it any more or less with my Max LS. I do however have my weight shifted all the way to the toe to help with that and the Max LS seems like a fantastic head to do this with. Weight in the toe boosts MOI on the head - especially for toe strikes putting more weight behind them - and I've been driving the ball super straight and long since putting it into play. 

• Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

In other news, I found a Tensei CK Pro Blue tipped 1.5" for a crazy good deal so I'm gonna try and see how it compares to the untipped shaft I'm playing right now. No idea what itll do with that much tipping but we'll see. I'm thinking 3-400RPM less spin and ~2deg lower launch with a firmer feeling tip?

Edited by third-times-a-charm

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

In other news, I found a Tensei CK Pro Blue tipped 1.5" for a crazy good deal so I'm gonna try and see how it compares to the untipped shaft I'm playing right now. No idea what itll do with that much tipping but we'll see. I'm thinking 3-400RPM less spin and ~2deg lower launch with a firmer feeling tip?

That's a lot to expect from a shaft trim! Good luck. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

So if I’m playing the Rogue in 10.5 which of the current models is best aligned to that.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

4 hours ago, anth said:

So if I’m playing the Rogue in 10.5 which of the current models is best aligned to that.

Epic Max. Epic Max LS if your spin is too high, though the difference in spin between the two is not large. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• Like 1