2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Unfortunately the stock weight is 12g and there is only up to 14g in stock

Club Champion carries weight kits (9g, 12g, 16g, 20g) if you have one near you. My LS came with a 20g from Golf Galaxy w/ a D4 swing weight. Got fit into a 9g weight after finding center contact @ C9 swing weight.

Edited by kc_rooster
  • Like 1
  • Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I demo'ed all three heads this weekend. Fully went in thinking the Max LS would be the one for me but the Speed won by a mile. Right from the first drive I couldn't not hit the middle, it was crazy (&

So after my response above, I got bored and made this chart.   Self explanatory - I think - but the colored fading lines show commonality between heads and how much.   

But it’s not 4 bars. It’s a frame.     

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brooks Cupcake said:

Do you know if the weight from Max will fit in the Max LS and vice versa?

Yes they are the same.

Epic Max LS + Diamana ZF / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 4H || TS2 7W + Tensei CK Pro Blue || Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

Frankly, just use the Epic Flash weights if you need heavier weights. I am using the 15.5 weight at the moment. I don't need the weight in the track

extremes so it works.

Edited by SwingBlues

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Taylormade 2018 P790 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

Just got my max ls via global golf. I'm wondering if my head is slightly misprinted, or if the sweet spot is super heel side? The V on the top of the crown is slightly toe side to the X graphic printed on the face. Even more strange is that the middle of the X graphic is heel-side of the 3rd bar in the jailbreak. I'd expect the middle of the X to be centered to the jailbreak. I was having loads of mental issues trying to figure out how to line up on the course today.

That is probably super confusing to read, so I've attached a picture to show what I'm talking about with the X and jailbreak alignment.

driver head.jpg

8 hours ago, bmrowe said:

Just got my max ls via global golf. I'm wondering if my head is slightly misprinted, or if the sweet spot is super heel side? The V on the top of the crown is slightly toe side to the X graphic printed on the face. Even more strange is that the middle of the X graphic is heel-side of the 3rd bar in the jailbreak. I'd expect the middle of the X to be centered to the jailbreak. I was having loads of mental issues trying to figure out how to line up on the course today.

That is probably super confusing to read, so I've attached a picture to show what I'm talking about with the X and jailbreak alignment.

driver head.jpg

Mine looks like that too.  I ignore the logo on the face and use the chevron for alignment with the sweet spot.  I’ve never had a problem.  It’s been a great driver for me.

The graphic is just decorative.  Im pretty sure they did this due to the odd shape of the face (very long and shallow on the toe, short and deep on the heel) where if they pushed the graphic further out towards the toe it would look super weird.  Why they didn’t go for no graphic or a different design is a mystery to me.  Maybe something to do with keeping consistency between the three heads and they really wanted the graphic on the others?

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Spider X Slant Neck

Titleist Pro V1x

I haven't had much action on my offer to trade a 10.5 Speed head for a 9 so I've continued to play the 10.5 and mess with the settings. My ball flight is just a tinch too high at 10.5 and I have a tinch too much side spin at 9.5, but as I work through my latest series of lessons we are getting that under control. When I put a good swing on it at 9.5 it seems like a strong, more penetrating flight, so that's worth working out. 

My shaft is still a Project X Black 5.5. As I sort out my swing I'll probably go for a shaft fitting and see if I can optimize it a little better. 

On 3/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, rkelso184 said:

so ive read 28 pages and still have nothing on the MMT shaft lol. I found on page 10 someone said go back a page or 2 but again nothing! I really want to know what this is like. If anyone can give me some info it would be great. In relation to Ventus Blue, Tensi Raw, Fuji Pro would be even better 🙂

i have had the MMT 60s in my Rogue driver for a month now and 12 rounds. Previous shaft was Oban Tour Limited blue 60s. MMT feels better, loads great and has improved my dispersion and distance. I am looking at getting a MMT for my 3 wood as well. 

Callaway Rogue Driver MMT 60s
Callaway Epic 3 Wood Kiyoshi Gold 75s
Callaway
Super Hybrid Recoil Dart F3 75H

Srixon 765 Irons Modus 105s
Cleveland Zipcore Wedges Tour Issue Spinner 
Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 putter
Callaway Chrome Soft X Ball

🇱🇷

On 3/30/2021 at 8:08 AM, me05501 said:

Lord no. It sounds like you're driving a railroad spike. Very high-pitched and metallic, IMO. 

I just got one as well and mine sounds like this. I don't know if I could play it having to listen to that ting sound all round....

Cobra Radspeed - 7.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Motore F1 8X
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Taylormade 790 3 iron - Tensei White 100TX
Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS - TI X100

Taylormade MG2 TW - 56 & 60 - TI S400
Sik Pro C Armlock - LAGP

So, the Max LS has really been great for me.  I have owned 9* and 10.5* Max and Max LS drivers, and have settled on the 9* Max, and 10.5* Max LS.  And among those two, both are fantastic, but I just love playing the Max LS.  Ton of fun to play, very consistent, neutral bias for me even with a natural fade, very forgiving and keeps spin in check.  Great drivers.

• Like 3

Ping G410 Plus 9* Driver, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 S

Callaway GBB Epic 3 and 5 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3

Ping G410 4 Hybrid, Alta CB 70 S

Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), TT DG Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

On 5/7/2021 at 10:38 AM, hardcaliber said:

Can anyone speak to how draw biased the Max is and whether its easy to get it adjusted back to neutral?

I prefer neutral or possibly just very slight draw bias.

When I put my shaft on my wife’s 10.5° Max head, I don’t see draw bias with the weight in the middle of the track where she likes it. Straight to 5 yard draw is pretty standard for Max. Move the APW into the heel, the ball will turn but not snap hooky by any means. Max is just a super friendly head. I could drop it in -1/N setting and easily game it. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 💎💎💎 10.5° driver Tensei Pro Blue 60S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° driver Tensei Pro Blue 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S 

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S 

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 

Titleist Pro V1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:38 PM, hardcaliber said:

Can anyone speak to how draw biased the Max is and whether its easy to get it adjusted back to neutral?

I prefer neutral or possibly just very slight draw bias.

My Epic Max 9* set open at 8* with the weight in the toe and a red line "tour flat" adapter is fade biased for sure.  My natural shot shape is a slinging push draw and I love the Epic Max in these settings.  Previously, I had an F9 9* which was supposedly one of the more fade biased heads at the time.  The difference is that with the F9, I could miss it WAY right or WAY left, often times both over the course of a round.  On good days, the Epic Max wants to go straight and just fall to the right a hair.  On days when I'm battling the hooks with the rest of my bag, I'll hit baby draws with the Epic Max.  The nice thing is that there are no surprises if I warm up at the range.  I'll know what my ball flight will look like on good swings and what my miss is after hitting 5-10 balls.  

Titleist Pro V1x

On 5/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, noodle3872 said:

When I put my shaft on my wife’s 10.5° Max head, I don’t see draw bias with the weight in the middle of the track where she likes it. Straight to 5 yard draw is pretty standard for Max. Move the APW into the heel, the ball will turn but not snap hooky by any means. Max is just a super friendly head. I could drop it in -1/N setting and easily game it. 

Thanks, gonna do some testing soon.  That Max has my name all over it though.  Thinking it will come down to Max vs Tsi2. 

Posted (edited)

enjoying my new Speed 9, with the evenflow black 65gram X.   Yes a tiny bit of draw bias, but for a less-flexible 52 year old cutter, being able to even think about starting it slightly right and moving it left is a very welcome thing.  I'm coming from a lofted down 9 degree 410LST with a tipped 757x and this thing is very very easy to put the ball in-play.   I feel like I'm getting 100% of my power into the ball (with this improved release / closing of the door).  if your typical miss is a cut that starts a wee bit right o where you intended, you will love this thing.  It does perform and feel very much like the Mavrik SZ but the speed looks better on the ground - it does not feel shut.   The speed-frame makes a ton of sense too.  Lofting this thing down to 8 absolutely opens that door to lower faded bullets if that is what you want to see.

Edited by Sizzle
added some info
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

enjoying my new Speed 9, with the evenflow black 65gram X.   Yes a tiny bit of draw bias, but for a less-flexible 52 year old cutter, being able to even think about starting it slightly right and moving it left is a very welcome thing.  I'm coming from a lofted down 9 degree 410LST with a tipped 757x and this thing is very very easy to put the ball in-play.   I feel like I'm getting 100% of my power into the ball (with this improved release / closing of the door).  if your typical miss is a cut that starts a wee bit right o where you intended, you will love this thing.  It does perform and feel very much like the Mavrik SZ but the speed looks better on the ground - it does not feel shut.   The speed-frame makes a ton of sense too.  Lofting this thing down to 8 absolutely opens that door to lower faded bullets if that is what you want to see.

I'm in Speed head as a cutter and I also added the "D" lie angle to the mix encouraging my start line to the right(I'm lefty) hitting sweetest little cut/power fades that have quite a bit of giddy up!

Looks like the aftermarket weights are finally on Amazon for the Epic Maxs (I posted an ebay link previously): https://amzn.to/3tM3xUz

But unfortunately they're all too small. Does anyone besides me need like a 16-20g weight? I'm playing at 45" and with a Tensei CK Pro I have 6-8g of lead tape right now. If the stock weight is 12g that means I'm looking for at least 18g.

Epic Max LS + Diamana ZF / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 4H || TS2 7W + Tensei CK Pro Blue || Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Looks like the aftermarket weights are finally on Amazon for the Epic Maxs (I posted an ebay link previously): https://amzn.to/3tM3xUz

But unfortunately they're all too small. Does anyone besides me need like a 16-20g weight? I'm playing at 45" and with a Tensei CK Pro I have 6-8g of lead tape right now. If the stock weight is 12g that means I'm looking for at least 18g.

Could you use the 12 and add a 7?  The track will take two weights.

Edited by kintap
Spelling

Titleist Pro V1x

14 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

Was surprised to see the 4 wood playing at a 43.25 length which is longer than some 3 woods. Any reasoning why? 

Callaway does their 4w/3w same length

36 minutes ago, kintap said:

Could you use the 12 and add a 7?  The track will take two weights.

Yeah thats going to be my next option but not sure I want to go that route or not.

Might be cool to have two weights split on the track on each side for neutral weighting and max forgiveness?

3 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

4w should be easier to hit given more loft I would assume right? I know many players choose 4w or 5w because of shorter length . Any thoughts 

On paper, yes, more loft is better and will give more spin and height. Personally I would cut the 4w down an inch and fix the SW afterwards.

18 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

4w should be easier to hit given more loft I would assume right? I know many players choose 4w or 5w because of shorter length . Any thoughts 

I realized that I did not derive much benefit from a 3 wood (even cranked up to 16*), so I just went with a 5 wood and 7 wood (I keep the 5 wood at 18* standard, rather than lowering the loft which did not suit me with opening the face).  5 wood is more versatile than 3 wood off the deck, and I find I don't lose much off the tee.  YMMV, though.

Ping G410 Plus 9* Driver, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 S

Callaway GBB Epic 3 and 5 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3

Ping G410 4 Hybrid, Alta CB 70 S

Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), TT DG Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

1 hour ago, Liveonce said:

Depends on your goal, as in what gap you’re trying to fill. 

I told my pro I’d like to have a fairway wood that was equally useful off the tee and the fairway. His exact words were “try a four wood with a three wood shaft.” He said a lot of players can handle the extra little bit of shaft length without an issue, while finding comfort from looking down and seeing at least a bit of loft on the face. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Depends on your goal, as in what gap you’re trying to fill. 

I told my pro I’d like to have a fairway wood that was equally useful off the tee and the fairway. His exact words were “try a four wood with a three wood shaft.” He said a lot of players can handle the extra little bit of shaft length without an issue, while finding comfort from looking down and seeing at least a bit of loft on the face. 

I'm experimenting with Epic flash 5wd(18*) opened to 17* as my only fwd.......3 swings and both tee n fwy shots were great.....playing at 42.5" D2 with same shaft as Speed driver ....Tensei 65R blue AV 💙

I went back to this head for the adjustable feature and namesake 

Edited by SwooshLT
9 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

I'm experimenting with Epic flash 5wd(18*) opened to 17* as my only fwd.......3 swings and both tee n fwy shots were great.....playing at 42.5" D2 with same shaft as Speed driver ....Tensei 65R blue AV 💙

I went back to this head for the adjustable feature and namesake 

how is that tensei av blue? I’m trying to determine which shaft I want to put in (I was fit into Oban devotion 75 stiff ) and thought either the tensei Av blue 75 or aldilia 130msi may be comparable