2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

4 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

how is that tensei av blue? I’m trying to determine which shaft I want to put in (I was fit into Oban devotion 75 stiff ) and thought either the tensei Av blue 75 or aldilia 130msi may be comparable

FOR ME.......absolutely perfect!  Go after or smooth it;  high or low, left or right with loads of confidence.....

Tried other shafts in Speed head before "stumbling" into current setup including stock HZRDUS smoke im/10 .....nice shaft but for me , restrictive.......but truthfully I've always gotten along with blue profiles 

Just plugged in a Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60S with the Hexcel tip - OMG, this shaft is AMAZING. Tipped it 1/2" and in it went into my All-Fit adapter. Went to the range this evening, almost every shot was DEAD STRAIGHT. Dead f*cking straight!

Previously, I had the Ventus Black 6S, this Hzrdus will definitely give it a run for the money. Smooth too...

Oh, I don't need to say the Max LS is pure PHENOMENAL, best driver ever made by Callaway. Period (to borrow someone's saying 😜)

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Lately I’ve been playing my Speed 10.5 with a Project X Black 5.5 and the hosel at -1/D. If anything the shaft has been a bit too soft which I think is why I’ve liked it better at -1. 

Today I tried an upgrade, a HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue in 5.5. It feels a bit stiffer and has a bit more kick. My little draw with the PX Black turned into a little fade with the new shaft, but putting the hosel back at stated loft straightened it out and it seems to have that low

spin kick that knuckles the ball through the air. 

Tomorrow I’m going to swap out the 5g head weight for a 7g and see if that counteracts the slightly stiffer feeing of this shaft. But it’s promising. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

First round today with the RDX Smoke Blue in my Epic Speed. Very nice! I hit some real nice drives today. I also had some loose ones but I think that was mostly from overswinging. It’s a stable feeling shaft that loads noticeably. 

I had a 7g weight in it today, and a 5g yesterday at the range. The 7g does seem to help me close the face a little easier. 

This was also my first round with a new three wood. It’s a Mavrik Max 3+ with a 44” Evenflow Riptide shaft. Oh my, is this thing a rocket launcher for me! Good ball speed and a nice draw. Rolls out for days.

Only thing is that it’s almost as long as the driver is (as currently set up). However, I like the fact that the 3+ favors a draw while the Epic Speed favors a slight fade. Gives me options on doglegs. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

12 hours ago, me05501 said:

First round today with the RDX Smoke Blue in my Epic Speed. Very nice! I hit some real nice drives today. I also had some loose ones but I think that was mostly from overswinging. It’s a stable feeling shaft that loads noticeably. 

I had a 7g weight in it today, and a 5g yesterday at the range. The 7g does seem to help me close the face a little easier. 

This was also my first round with a new three wood. It’s a Mavrik Max 3+ with a 44” Evenflow Riptide shaft. Oh my, is this thing a rocket launcher for me! Good ball speed and a nice draw. Rolls out for days.

Only thing is that it’s almost as long as the driver is (as currently set up). However, I like the fact that the 3+ favors a draw while the Epic Speed favors a slight fade. Gives me options on doglegs. 

So actually a mini-driver? Lol......great to have options......I went with Epic Flash 5wd lofted down and same Tensei 65R AV blue 💙 as my only fwy club......very comfortable gapping with similar flights.....playing at 42.5" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

So actually a mini-driver? Lol......great to have options......I went with Epic Flash 5wd lofted down and same Tensei 65R AV blue 💙 as my only fwy club......very comfortable gapping with similar flights.....playing at 42.5" 

Right! My *actual* mini driver is a TM SLDR that is 14* and 43". The flight is totally different. The 3+ hits it on a more boring trajectory where as the mini driver has a high soft flight. I'm hoping the 3+ might come in handy if I have an ideal fairway lie on a par five, but it will mostly be a tee club. I may eventually lop off an inch from the grip end, but I like having the option to choke up to get there. 

I'm still undecided on the top end of my bag between 5 iron and 3+. There are two spots available. 

I have a Big Bertha 3 hybrid that works well for me at every loft setting. It can be my 3/4 iron replacement at the +2 setting or a five wood alternative at S or -1. So I go back and forth between trying to find something more satisfying in the 4 iron spot or using the hybrid there and focusing on the "third wood" spot. 

I have a Rogue 4 wood head and will likely reshaft that with something. Would like to have it as a 215 sort of club that works well from the deck. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Mainehacker21 said:

I’m playing the smoke black RDX 6.5 in the speed and I can’t believe how smooth the shaft is..it’s really not like the HZRDUS’s of old at all IMO 

Yeah, my Smoke Blue RDX doesn't feel boardy or stiff at all to me, but it's the first HZRDUS shaft I've tried so I don't have any history with this line. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Does anyone else use impact stickers when working with their driver on the range? 

This is something I just started doing this year and I highly recommend it. I tend to fall into setting up too far away from the ball with my driver, and the impact sticker lets me know right away if I'm catching the ball out on the toe. 

I think there's a mental advantage too. When I put that sticker on the face, my mind is focused on centering the contact in the sweet spot rather than swinging harder and hoping for good results. I swing more within myself and in balance, and it seems like my sequencing improves. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 5/20/2021 at 2:26 PM, me05501 said:

Does anyone else use impact stickers when working with their driver on the range? 

This is something I just started doing this year and I highly recommend it. I tend to fall into setting up too far away from the ball with my driver, and the impact sticker lets me know right away if I'm catching the ball out on the toe. 

I think there's a mental advantage too. When I put that sticker on the face, my mind is focused on centering the contact in the sweet spot rather than swinging harder and hoping for good results. I swing more within myself and in balance, and it seems like my sequencing improves. 

i won’t use stickers anymore but I do keep a tube of moist chalk in my bag. Driving range I visit carries it. Foot spray also does the trick. Granted both are a little more messy and require more frequent applications. A good drill I learned is to try and hit one off the toe, one off heel then one in center. I do that mostly with irons for fear of sky marks but it really helps train the brain on flushing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazman11 said:

i won’t use stickers anymore but I do keep a tube of moist chalk in my bag. Driving range I visit carries it. Foot spray also does the trick. Granted both are a little more messy and require more frequent applications. A good drill I learned is to try and hit one off the toe, one off heel then one in center. I do that mostly with irons for fear of sky marks but it really helps train the brain on flushing it. 

Interesting! I try to avoid buying aerosol cans but I assume the stickers aren't a bit better for the environment. I just assumed the foot spray thing would be a stinky mess.  

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Interesting! I try to avoid buying aerosol cans but I assume the stickers aren't a bit better for the environment. I just assumed the foot spray thing would be a stinky mess.  

nope the foot powder is not a stinky mess. Has to be the spray though. Here is a pic of the chalk I use with cap off. Had this for 4 years now and it’s always in my bag.  Stickers work best no doubt. Chalk I think is easiest. Takes up no room and lasts a super long time. 

46209760-AFDF-420B-AF58-F7B3BBEC18DA.jpeg

Edited by blazman11
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:16 PM, blazman11 said:

nope the foot powder is not a stinky mess. Has to be the spray though. Here is a pic of the chalk I use with cap off. Had this for 4 years now and it’s always in my bag.  Stickers work best no doubt. Chalk I think is easiest. Takes up no room and lasts a super long time. 

46209760-AFDF-420B-AF58-F7B3BBEC18DA.jpeg

Ordered, thanks. 

I'm getting dialed in with my Epic Speed 10.5 at -1/D, with the RDX Smoke Blue ltd edition 5.5. I can put a smooth turn on this combo and get a great flight and a good forward kick upon landing. 

This is all at the range, unfortunately. Still trying to ignore the "hit impulse" on the course. But I'm longer than I was last year and that feels good. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

Ordered, thanks. 

I'm getting dialed in with my Epic Speed 10.5 at -1/D, with the RDX Smoke Blue ltd edition 5.5. I can put a smooth turn on this combo and get a great flight and a good forward kick upon landing. 

This is all at the range, unfortunately. Still trying to ignore the "hit impulse" on the course. But I'm longer than I was last year and that feels good. 

All good news!  Those are my settings albeit with Tensei 65R AV blue 💙 instead......play a tiny little power fade/cut 

Keep posting your thoughts! 

18 hours ago, me05501 said:

Ordered, thanks. 

You’re welcome!  For me I’m loving the Max LS. It’s the first Cally driver I’ve liked since the ~2016 Fusion. 

I did the global gold Utry program and it came with a 70g MMT stiff shaft. I liked the shaft but it felt a bit loose so when I ordered direct through Cally I ordered the 60g MMT x-stiff (SS 105).  Like most people I have a plethora of premium shafts so no biggie if this didn’t work. 

For me the 60g X MMT is almost perfect. This shaft greatly reduces the “hit” tendency for me because it’s so smooth and stable feeling. I don’t have TM numbers but I’ve played enough rounds with it to know that it’s a great shaft for me.  It just launches a little higher than what I want. I have a 10.5 head and don’t want to lower the loft because I get perfect little tiny draws with this setup. 

I did put an Oban HB 60g stiff in and picked up literally just a couple of yards. Ball flight was a hair more penetrating but still high. For all intents and purposes they were identical. However the Oban isn’t as smooth as MMT so snap hooks are back in play just from the different feeling on how shaft loads. . I threw an adaptor on my Velocore Black (was on a g425 Max) and want to see today how that does. 

I’m a big Ping homer and had a g425 max on order the second I could. It’s a great driver but it launches too low and for some reason I have a heel miss which has never happened. I’ve had the Velocore black in there which normally isn’t a low launching shaft for me. I did throw a Ping tip on the Oban so I’ll give it one more go and head to head with the Cally. I’ve played the Ping for a few months now so I know what it can do and I don’t see it beating out the Cally. 

10 minutes ago, blazman11 said:

You’re welcome!  For me I’m loving the Max LS. It’s the first Cally driver I’ve liked since the ~2016 Fusion. 

I did the global gold Utry program and it came with a 70g MMT stiff shaft. I liked the shaft but it felt a bit loose so when I ordered direct through Cally I ordered the 60g MMT x-stiff (SS 105).  Like most people I have a plethora of premium shafts so no biggie if this didn’t work. 

For me the 60g X MMT is almost perfect. This shaft greatly reduces the “hit” tendency for me because it’s so smooth and stable feeling. I don’t have TM numbers but I’ve played enough rounds with it to know that it’s a great shaft for me.  It just launches a little higher than what I want. I have a 10.5 head and don’t want to lower the loft because I get perfect little tiny draws with this setup. 

I did put an Oban HB 60g stiff in and picked up literally just a couple of yards. Ball flight was a hair more penetrating but still high. For all intents and purposes they were identical. However the Oban isn’t as smooth as MMT so snap hooks are back in play just from the different feeling on how shaft loads. . I threw an adaptor on my Velocore Black (was on a g425 Max) and want to see today how that does. 

I’m a big Ping homer and had a g425 max on order the second I could. It’s a great driver but it launches too low and for some reason I have a heel miss which has never happened. I’ve had the Velocore black in there which normally isn’t a low launching shaft for me. I did throw a Ping tip on the Oban so I’ll give it one more go and head to head with the Cally. I’ve played the Ping for a few months now so I know what it can do and I don’t see it beating out the Cally. 

Cool.

My buddy got fit for a G425 Max and they put him in a 12* which surprised me, but with the Alta CB shaft it has a driving trajectory that flies lower than my driver set at 9.5*. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...

Way late to the party testing these because I’ve been happy with my Epic Flash Sub Zero (except the sound) but shop credit speaks…

I really wanted the Max LS to be the choice for me based on the idea of it and it’s a good head but it was definitely the Speed for me. I prefer the shape at address of the Speed and the sound a bit better. The sound compared to my Flash SZ - sold on the spot!

My Flash Sub Zero (with Hzrdus Yellow HC) is set at +1 Draw setting for best results. In the Speed I ended up in the -1 Neutral cog setting and hitting flatter bombs (for me). Only got to try the two stock shafts but think the Smoke is the temp winner. And of course I’ll end up throwing my HC Yellow in it also at some point. 

Overall very impressed with the retail Speed head. 

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I acquired a Max 10.5 head to shoot out against my Speed 10.5 head. I've only done one range session so far, but it's clear the Max is more forgiving and more draw biased which are both things I need. 

I started with the weight fully in the heel and the cogs set at -1/D. If anything, my misses were over drawing with this rig, but fortunately I have a lot of range to make adjustments and dial it in. I'll play with the weight first. My misses are usually out toward the toe so I don't want the lie angle any flatter. 

My Epic Speed set up the same way can go either dead straight or give me a baby draw when I square it up. When I don't, the flight tends toward left-to-right. I've never hooked or over-drawn it. The Max wants to go dead straight or right-to-left. The only time it went more right than I intended was when I got out of balance during my swing.  

I use impact stickers on my drivers at the range so it's easy to see what the club is doing with different kinds of contact. It just seems like the playable face area is larger on the Max, as expected. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 6/5/2021 at 9:05 AM, cmatthews77 said:

Way late to the party testing these because I’ve been happy with my Epic Flash Sub Zero (except the sound) but shop credit speaks…

I really wanted the Max LS to be the choice for me based on the idea of it and it’s a good head but it was definitely the Speed for me. I prefer the shape at address of the Speed and the sound a bit better. The sound compared to my Flash SZ - sold on the spot!

My Flash Sub Zero (with Hzrdus Yellow HC) is set at +1 Draw setting for best results. In the Speed I ended up in the -1 Neutral cog setting and hitting flatter bombs (for me). Only got to try the two stock shafts but think the Smoke is the temp winner. And of course I’ll end up throwing my HC Yellow in it also at some point. 

Great to hear......yeah the Speed head really is very solid! 

After some of you have their drivers for quite some time, did any of you cracked the driver head? How is the dutability in these multi material construction head from callaway? 

going to order the speed and want to know durability is an issue. 

thx

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

25 minutes ago, C_rad said:

After some of you have their drivers for quite some time, did any of you cracked the driver head? How is the dutability in these multi material construction head from callaway? 

going to order the speed and want to know durability is an issue. 

thx

Come to think of it I haven’t seen any cracked heads yet. Bunch of cobras and taylormade on this forum recently but no Callaway’s 

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

On 6/5/2021 at 9:05 AM, cmatthews77 said:

This is exactly my current setup as well.

I also have an EFSZ triple diamond head with a GD Tour AD TP shaft. I've been interchanging heads, shafts and lofts for about 5 months or so now & (I think) have finally settled on setup. Then again,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:

I tried the Mavrik once last year just for fun and hated it. Couldn't get the spin UP over 1800.

As an aside a guy I play with was hitting a Ping G30(?) driver and hit it nowhere. He switched to the Mavrik and it was the largest difference I've ever seen by simply changing a driver. He gained at least 20 yards carry and probably another 10 with rollout, not to mention he got straighter and more consistent as well.

Anywho, I haven't hit the current Cally line as I can't see how I could noticeably improve on my EFSZ - but reading these threads,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, TEAR HAIR.gif:classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 6/11/2021 at 12:20 PM, me05501 said:

I acquired a Max 10.5 head to shoot out against my Speed 10.5 head. I've only done one range session so far, but it's clear the Max is more forgiving and more draw biased which are both things I need. 

I started with the weight fully in the heel and the cogs set at -1/D. If anything, my misses were over drawing with this rig, but fortunately I have a lot of range to make adjustments and dial it in. I'll play with the weight first. My misses are usually out toward the toe so I don't want the lie angle any flatter. 

My Epic Speed set up the same way can go either dead straight or give me a baby draw when I square it up. When I don't, the flight tends toward left-to-right. I've never hooked or over-drawn it. The Max wants to go dead straight or right-to-left. The only time it went more right than I intended was when I got out of balance during my swing.  

I use impact stickers on my drivers at the range so it's easy to see what the club is doing with different kinds of contact. It just seems like the playable face area is larger on the Max, as expected. 

Any updates to provide in comparing Speed and Max heads?  

4 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Any updates to provide in comparing Speed and Max heads?  

I definitely found the Max to be more forgiving. I’m still working on trajectory and face control, and I have to turn a 10.5 down -1 to keep the ball down which opens up the face. I traded my Speed 10.5 for a Big Bertha 21 in 9* to experiment. I like it so far. I may try to trade into a Max at 9*. Or do the rational thing and go demo one. 😉

• Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

20 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I definitely found the Max to be more forgiving. I’m still working on trajectory and face control, and I have to turn a 10.5 down -1 to keep the ball down which opens up the face. I traded my Speed 10.5 for a Big Bertha 21 in 9* to experiment. I like it so far. I may try to trade into a Max at 9*. Or do the rational thing and go demo one. 😉

I'm hitting 10.5 Speed turned down -1 but curious about 9* head......I play a definitive cut (right 2 left) that I can change trajectories quite easily.....every once in awhile I'll close the setup and hit a tumble draw but it flights much lower ......I'm the "steady in play" guy so I search for distance not forgiveness.....Speed plenty accurate.....I'd love to see if I could elevate a 9* with added distance.....nothing guaranteed just curious but one thing for certain......the Speeds' combination of sound/feel, looks, flight, accuracy (for me) consistency and forgiveness are gonna be hard pressed to match in future drivers!

Anyone playing the Max LS and Smoke IM10, and have feedback? This was the winning combo in my testing over the winter, and I won that Callaway pick a pro contest 😎  I think that's the combo I'll end up ordering (assuming I actually get it and have options) and want to try and test again, but would love any feedback from anyone playing that head/shaft combo. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

4 hours ago, arenapoutine said:

Anyone playing the Max LS and Smoke IM10, and have feedback? This was the winning combo in my testing over the winter, and I won that Callaway pick a pro contest 😎  I think that's the combo I'll end up ordering (assuming I actually get it and have options) and want to try and test again, but would love any feedback from anyone playing that head/shaft combo. 

Well I just got done testing the LS head compared to my speed and the speed  gave me better backspin and ball speed.

And i tested both with the im10 shaft.

Which was weird i thought the ls would give me better numbers 

Edited by sittingbull

Sand traps suck

39 minutes ago, sittingbull said:

Well I just got done testing the LS head compared to my speed and the speed  gave me better backspin and ball speed.

And i tested both with the im10 shaft.

Which was weird i thought the ls would give me better numbers 

What were your spin rates between the two heads? Do you have any other metrics? 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond