2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

Matt is a ROBOT! Here's a very interesting comparison between Mavrik SZ and Epic Max LS by TXG...

Personally, I can see this. I skipped Mavrik and kept my Epic Flash just because of the sliding weight.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

11 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Matt is a ROBOT! Here's a very interesting comparison between Mavrik SZ and Epic Max LS by TXG...

Personally, I can see this. I skipped Mavrik and kept my Epic Flash just because of the sliding weight.

I thought Matt was getting good numbers with the Max and not Max LS in their initial video?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

He did, but I'd imagine they chose the LS for this comparison because it would have more in common with the SubZero as far as design intent and target demographics.

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

21 hours ago, Warrick said:

Hopefully the same sole weights as recently, most are interchangeable 

Hope so.  I've been off the Callaway train for about 4 years, so I'm not as up on all the fine details about them.  Like playing driver a little shorter.  On my older epic I was able to animal style it and put 2 weights on there.  Looks like that may be possible with the Epic Max.

• Like 1

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

Anyone know if the past Epic Flash sliding weights will fit in these new Epic Max slots?

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

2 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Anyone know if the past Epic Flash sliding weights will fit in these new Epic Max slots?

I read elsewhere that they are not compatible. I’m taking my extra sliding weight to the club tomorrow and will see for myself. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I went in with the intent to buy a TSi3 today and was blown away by how good the Epic LS was. The TSi3 had a more consistent speed/retention across the clubface, but the Epic LS was more consistent with direction... A really good driver.

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 1/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, J-Zone said:

not arguing, just disagreeing. You sound like my wife! 🤣🤣🤣

to each is own, and the one thing we can both agree upon is G425 Max does not sound good LOL

Hit the g425 today and can confirm that the Ping sounds much worse than the Speed Max LS. I still get a metallic ting with the Callaway which is annoying but the performance may make it worth it. The Ping sounds like a carbon little league bat. Now I'm waiting for the TM fitting cart shafts to get in to see how the Sim2 performs with the same Ventus Black

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

#1: Titleist TSi3 9* - Ventus Black 6X 

#3: Titleist TSi3 15* - HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

3H: Titleist TSi3 20* - Motore 8.8 X

I: National Custom Works CB/MB DW - MMT 125 TX

W: Titleist SM8 Raw 56.14F & 60.14K - TT X100 TI Black Onyx

P: SC Newport 2 Centershafted P r o t o t y p e

Edited by norcaltrojan
duplicate

Edited by norcaltrojan
dulicate

2 hours ago, norcaltrojan said:

Hit the g425 today and can confirm that the Ping sounds much worse than the Speed Max LS. I still get a metallic ting with the Callaway which is annoying but the performance may make it worth it. The Ping sounds like a carbon little league bat. Now I'm waiting for the TM fitting cart shafts to get in to see how the Sim2 performs with the same Ventus Black

Did you happen to compare the Speed vs Speed Max LS? I hit through 4 of the newer drivers (TSI3, 425 Max, RadSpeed and Epic Speed) and the Speed really did well for me. I'm wondering if my experience, specifically sound differ much between the Max LS and Speed models, and if there were any other differences anyone felt between the two.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

23 hours ago, fishn said:

Anyone tried the Smoke IM10 shaft with the Epic and especially the LS and if so, what did you think? Looking for something smooth, not boardy, preferably 50 gram in stiff and hoping this fits the bill. Thanks 

Tried it and it was what was right for me.  

Just got notification of shipment so my Smoke IM10 stiff Max LS is enroute!

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7

2 hours ago, dodgyman said:

Did you happen to compare the Speed vs Speed Max LS? I hit through 4 of the newer drivers (TSI3, 425 Max, RadSpeed and Epic Speed) and the Speed really did well for me. I'm wondering if my experience, specifically sound differ much between the Max LS and Speed models, and if there were any other differences anyone felt between the two.

LS sounded a little more metallic than the Speed. I don’t know if this will translate but Speec makes a “thwack” sound LS made a sharper “thwink” sound. Both sound good to my ear. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

9 hours ago, Yanger said:

Tried it and it was what was right for me.  

Just got notification of shipment so my Smoke IM10 stiff Max LS is enroute!

How early did you order?

mine was put in over a week before pre order started.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

2 hours ago, Warrick said:

How early did you order?

mine was put in over a week before pre order started.

Ordered on 26 JAN.  When I called about my OG 7 putter (delivery on that is delayed until May) on Tuesday, I asked about this order and they said expect notification sometime next week then all of sudden got notification yesterday afternoon.  

UPS showing delivery today sometime.  

Of course there is snow everywhere so won't be hitting it right away....grrrr.

Scotty Cameron 2.7

23 minutes ago, Yanger said:

Ordered on 26 JAN.  When I called about my OG 7 putter (delivery on that is delayed until May) on Tuesday, I asked about this order and they said expect notification sometime next week then all of sudden got notification yesterday afternoon.  

UPS showing delivery today sometime.  

Of course there is snow everywhere so won't be hitting it right away....grrrr.

Wow.  My order went in on 1/18, expected ship date is 2/11

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

12 hours ago, fishn said:

Thanks for your feedback, did this shaft have much kick to it and what weight did you go with? What is your swing speed and tempo? Did you happen to try the rogue white or riptide? I really appreciate any info you can provide, thank you 

Hey it's golfwrx, so swing speed 115, 305 carry....7 iron distance 185... 😛 

But away from golfwrx it's 95-98 with a smoother tempo and transition.  I thought the shaft felt smooth and I could really feel where the club head was.  At the same time felt very stable enough and could "go after it" if I wanted to at my speeds.  Launch number were good with the 9* head for me.   Really did not get along with the MMT - just not right for me and felt like you need a quicker tempo/transition for that shaft.  

Have not played rogue white or riptide, sorry.  Went with the 50g Stiff - just shy of 50 years old so instead of buying gear based on ego, I'll rely on what the monitor is telling me, though I might not like it lol. 

Just for reference current gamer is a SIM 10.5 with a Helium 50g Stiff - which I like but really just like the feel of the MAX LS/MI combo.

• Thanks 1

Scotty Cameron 2.7

I wonder how much of a forgiveness disparity there really is between the Max and Max LS - and I wonder how many mid to high HCs will be fit into the Max LS just because it says 'Max' even though it's the successor of the SZ which those same people would have never touched.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

17 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I wonder how much of a forgiveness disparity there really is between the Max and Max LS - and I wonder how many mid to high HCs will be fit into the Max LS just because it says 'Max' even though it's the successor of the SZ which those same people would have never touched.

I thought all three heads were pretty forgiving.  I would say you need to get fit and try all three (leave your ego at the door).

I really liked the shape of the Speed and thought it was going to the one - but then the performance of the Max LS was the best by for for me.

Note - tried all G425, SIM2, and the EPIC heads over a couple weeks and the Max LS / MI combo ended up consistently winning out FOR ME.

• Thanks 1

Scotty Cameron 2.7

14 hours ago, dodgyman said:

I did try the Speed and the sound was slightly more mellow. My issue with it is that its draw biased which is the opposite of what i need. From what the pro told me the DDD model that is by far the most popular on tour is square which would solve for both of my issues

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Here are some MOI numbers from Golf Tec when they reviewed the heads...as well, some discussion about the CG as well. ..

Very little difference between Max and Max LS. At the end of the day, both have a weight track that is effective in changing your miss. I think we have seen this used in TXG to effect Matty boy's preferred fade.

Hope this helps for those deciding between the Max and Max LS

2 hours ago, Yanger said:

I thought all three heads were pretty forgiving.  I would say you need to get fit and try all three (leave your ego at the door).

This Is The Way GIF by Priya

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

2 hours ago, Yanger said:

But away from golfwrx it's 95-98 with a smoother tempo and transition.  I thought the shaft felt smooth and I could really feel where the club head was.  At the same time felt very stable enough and could "go after it" if I wanted to at my speeds.  Launch number were good with the 9* head for me.   Really did not get along with the MMT - just not right for me and felt like you need a quicker tempo/transition for that shaft.  

Have not played rogue white or riptide, sorry.  Went with the 50g Stiff - just shy of 50 years old so instead of buying gear based on ego, I'll rely on what the monitor is telling me, though I might not like it lol. 

Just for reference current gamer is a SIM 10.5 with a Helium 50g Stiff - which I like but really just like the feel of the MAX LS/MI combo.

Thanks Yanger, I think I am pretty close to your away from Golfwrx specs and the Max LS 9 is what I am considering so I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks and may God bless you 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, fishn said:

Anyone tried the Smoke IM10 shaft with the Epic and especially the LS and if so, what did you think? Looking for something smooth, not boardy, preferably 50 gram in stiff and hoping this fits the bill. Thanks 

I demoed the Max LS and the IM10 last weekend. Similar launch conditions to my current setup (410LST, Ventus Blue Velo 6s) but straighter. Shaft was more active but launch and spin didn’t tick up. Moved my dispersion from center-right to pretty close to center. Big fan of this combo and want to keep testing it. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

5 hours ago, Yanger said:

Hey , you're just above my speed and below age........did you ever hit epic flash sub zero?  I'm rotating that an a tsi2 but have a SIM2 coming in from a warranty claim but fell in love with LS/smoke IM10 50 combo! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yanger said:

I really liked the shape of the Speed and thought it was going to the one - but then the performance of the Max LS was the best by for for me.

Note - tried all G425, SIM2, and the EPIC heads over a couple weeks and the Max LS / MI combo ended up consistently winning out FOR ME.

How close was the SIM2 on the monitor for you?

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Hey , you're just above my speed and below age........did you ever hit epic flash sub zero?  I'm rotating that an a tsi2 but have a SIM2 coming in from a warranty claim but fell in love with LS/smoke IM10 50 combo! 

I actually gamed the Epic Flash, but not the SZ.  But it was with a shaft that I probably should not have been using (too much ego at the time). 

Scotty Cameron 2.7