2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I demo'ed all three heads this weekend. Fully went in thinking the Max LS would be the one for me but the Speed won by a mile. Right from the first drive I couldn't not hit the middle, it was crazy (&

So after my response above, I got bored and made this chart.   Self explanatory - I think - but the colored fading lines show commonality between heads and how much.   

But it’s not 4 bars. It’s a frame.     

Posted Images

On 2/4/2021 at 8:52 AM, Warrick said:

Wow.  My order went in on 1/18, expected ship date is 2/11

Could be worse. Mine is not expected  until mid April. Which is No big deal being here in the northeast. I Bought this on a whim cuz I had Callaway credit. It's going have to be a hell of a driver to kick my M6 or G410 out of bag. Probably end up on the bst

Edited by juggernaut0629

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

8 hours ago, juggernaut0629 said:

Could be worse. Mine is not expected  until mid April. Which is No big deal being here in the northeast. I Bought this on a whim cuz I had Callaway credit. It's going have to be a hell of a driver to kick my M6 or G410 out of bag. Probably end up on the bst

They are stating mid April for orders being placed now?

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
Mavrik Pro 6-G Elevate 105
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

If you had a Mavrik SZ and could not use it well enough to save your life, but loved the feel and the occasional dream Bomb, then the LS is for you and I,  normal folks.

Spent an hour at the range today (Vero Beach 83°) with my new Epic Max LS 10.5. Not a big hitter like ya'll here but been carrying 220+ with my TSi2. Epic Max LS is with the same shaft, Tensei Blue AV Raw, is longer (not too much longer.) However, that "best" distance is scarily repeatable. I had a Mavrik SubZero that I would rip a beauty and then I could not get any consistency (Indian bad. Arrow? maybe bad for me?) and very little forgiveness. With the new LS, I pretty much used the entire face today with amazing results out of the blocks. Mid trajectory, firing bullets. It is hard to imagine a more forgiving driver. I loved the TSi2 but I am Blown away with the LS. Phenomenal feel/sound. Consistent distance and dispersion was good. No numbers but after carry, the roll out is waaaay past my TSi2. 

Edited by Steelhead
-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed-- I went from epic flash sub zero to Mav then hopped in sim the other day with Max LS 9 deg/ tour ad iz.  I was blown away.  I had my mav setup w me also(mav has VR).  I was consistently 10yds further w the max ls.  And I also found the consistency of distance is what sold me..  seems like anywhere on the face I got close to the same distance..  that 9 deg head with the iz is a perfect combo for me was hitting my launch window(I played 10.5's dialed to 9.5 before this)    ordered on the spot

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Steelhead said:

If you had a Mavrik SZ and could not use it well enough to save your life, but loved the feel and the occasional dream Bomb, then the LS is for you and I,  normal folks.

Spent an hour at the range today (Vero Beach 83°) with my new Epic Max LS 10.5. Not a big hitter like ya'll here but been carrying 220+ with my TSi2. Epic Max LS is with the same shaft, Tensei Blue AV Raw, is longer (not too much longer.) However, that "best" distance is scarily repeatable. I had a Mavrik SubZero that I would rip a beauty and then I could not get any consistency (Indian bad. Arrow? maybe bad for me?) and very little forgiveness. With the new LS, I pretty much used the entire face today with amazing results out of the blocks. Mid trajectory, firing bullets. It is hard to imagine a more forgiving driver. I loved the TSi2 but I am Blown away with the LS. Phenomenal feel/sound. Consistent distance and dispersion was good. No numbers but after carry, the roll out is waaaay past my TSi2. 

Just great news to hear......I'm trying out a tsi2 with loads of consistency but lacking pop.

Also trying a 2017 Epic and much better than tsi2 .

First question, do you have any experience with 2017 Epic? 

2nd, are you in stiff or regular?  

I've hit LS a few times indoors and love ballspeed and potentialities......you guys aren't making this easy

1 minute ago, SwooshLT said:

Just great news to hear......I'm trying out a tsi2 with loads of consistency but lacking pop.

I've hit LS a few times indoors and love ballspeed and potentialities......you guys aren't making this easy

Yes, I had Epics before and the LS feels more like the Mavrik SZ to me. TSi2 already mailed away. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Regular flex. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, jbird902 said:

Agreed-- I went from epic flash sub zero to Mav then hopped in sim the other day with Max LS 9 deg/ tour ad iz.  I was blown away.  I had my mav setup w me also(mav has VR).  I was consistently 10yds further w the max ls.  And I also found the consistency of distance is what sold me..  seems like anywhere on the face I got close to the same distance..  that 9 deg head with the iz is a perfect combo for me was hitting my launch window(I played 10.5's dialed to 9.5 before this)    ordered on the spot

Yes! Shamefully hit all over the face with amazingly consistent results. 

1 hour ago, shmitty18 said:

Anyone been able to test the speed vs the max LS? Seems like most people have been leaning towards the max ls after testing.

LS 10.5° gave me some big drives however it was dangerously low spin. Anything other than a square strike had more curve than I normally play. At times the draw became a power hook. Fades were fine. For me it’s Speed 9° with 10G rear weight. It packs a donkey kick punch! Spin is low 2000 rpm, launch 15° and 145 mph plus ball speed for my 100-103 mph swing. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei 1K Pro White 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang

Callaway Chrome Soft X

27 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

LS 10.5° gave me some big drives however it was dangerously low spin. Anything other than a square strike had more curve than I normally play. At times the draw became a power hook. Fades were fine. For me it’s Speed 9° with 10G rear weight. It packs a donkey kick punch! Spin is low 2000 rpm, launch 15° and 145 mph plus ball speed for my 100-103 mph swing. 

Interesting. Any noticeable difference in forgiveness between the two heads? Directional wise on off center hits? (assuming spin wasn't too low) 

Edited by shmitty18
17 minutes ago, shmitty18 said:

Interesting. Any noticeable difference in forgiveness between the two heads? Directional wise on off center hits? (assuming spin wasn't too low) 

For me, Speed is a safer head with loads of ball speed and tight dispersion. The spin retention is key for me. The LS hit on the button is a beauty. But for me, the toe strike is gonzo! Today I put the 10.5° LS head vs a Speed 9° head with MMT 60S. I got both heads to weight 199G. The longest ball was hit with LS @ 1569 rpm. The longest ball hit with Speed @ 1938 rpm. There was 1 yard between them. Both were within 10 yards of the centerline. The LS was a high toe floater and the Speed was a center strike. I’m normally very straight with driver, LS was curvy as a centerfold! Speed was arrow straight. 

• Haha 2

Callaway Chrome Soft X

7 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

For me, Speed is a safer head with loads of ball speed and tight dispersion. The spin retention is key for me. The LS hit on the button is a beauty. But for me, the toe strike is gonzo! Today I put the 10.5° LS head vs a Speed 9° head with MMT 60S. I got both heads to weight 199G. The longest ball was hit with LS @ 1569 rpm. The longest ball hit with Speed @ 1938 rpm. There was 1 yard between them. Both were within 10 yards of the centerline. The LS was a high toe floater and the Speed was a center strike. I’m normally very straight with driver, LS was curvy as a centerfold! Speed was arrow straight. 

Awesome. Thx for the insight. I'm also right around 100 mph and love the shape of the speed head over the max ls. Think I might pull the trigger on the Speed with diamana TB shaft. Now just need to wait for the snow to melt... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

I had original Epic when came out. Which is why ordered New version. Hit some of the longest drives of my life with it. Still game the og epic 5 wood. Love that club

• Thanks 1

Ping G LST 9*
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

4 hours ago, hef63303 said:

It depends on shaft and grip choice.  Heads are generally not a problem.

I ordered the smoke black stiff with mcc+4. I wanted to try the black rdx but was worried I wouldn't be man enough for it. 

Ping G LST 9*
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

22 minutes ago, shmitty18 said:

Awesome. Thx for the insight. I'm also right around 100 mph and love the shape of the speed head over the max ls. Think I might pull the trigger on the Speed with diamana TB shaft. Now just need to wait for the snow to melt... 

I tested the Speed and LS with my old Diamana BF 60S. Super smooth shaft! The TB is supposed to be as smooth but tighter in the tip.  My problem is I like a tighter feeling shaft throughout which is why I tried the MMT 60S. It reminded me of my old Tensei Pro Blue I tipped 1/2”. I kick myself for selling that shaft! 

Edited by noodle3872

Callaway Chrome Soft X

9 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Last question......ok maybe not, what's your normal flight and do you try working the ball at all? 

Normally I hit a higher ball but the LS brought my flight down to more mid/mid-high. My Shot shape is a straight to baby fade (Nicklaus era guy here). I was planning on buying a Speed but this came up on BST. Happy I snagged it. 

Edited by Steelhead
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

This is what I like to hear. I am same with driver, 100-105, Speed 9* with MMT 60s, shipping out today..

I wanted to try the MMT, have a ventus black that I love, can be swapped in.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
Mavrik Pro 6-G Elevate 105
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 
1 hour ago, Steelhead said:

Normally I hit a higher ball but the LS brought my flight down to more mid/mid-high. My Shot shape is a straight to baby fade (Nicklaus era guy here). I was planning on buying a Speed but this came up on BST. Happy I snagged it. 

Same here with the Nicklaus fade ......thanks bud , this helps

Where in Vero to you play mostly?  Hawk's Nest , quail Valley? 

1 minute ago, SwooshLT said:

Same here with the Nicklaus fade ......thanks bud , this helps

Where in Vero to you play mostly?  Hawk's Nest , quail Valley? 

The Fox Club, Sand Ridge, Hawks Nest , Florida Club actually everywhere and anywhere from here to Orlando. Wife is a golf-a-holic and she plays more than I do with her crew! I just try to keep up.

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Steelhead said:

The Fox Club, Sand Ridge, Hawks Nest , Florida Club actually everywhere and anywhere from here to Orlando. Wife is a golf-a-holic and she plays more than I do with her crew! I just try to keep up.

You're almost near me! I'm in western Palm Beach county and I'm the same way......Miami to Orlando.....

For awhile I was playing evergreen and Fox club on the regular but now I'm staying fairly local 

• Like 1

No more talk about Florida, please...  Cruel and unusual from you FL and AZ folks.  😉  Foot of snow on the ground here in NJ.  Seriously, though, seems the moral of the story is once again, to hit all of these heads and see what works.  Some of you prefer the Max LS, some the Speed, and Michael Newton got really good numbers with the Max.  I hope to hit these at a store this coming weekend. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max 9* Driver, Mitsubishi MMT 60 S
Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 and 5 Hybrids, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Titleist T300 Irons 6-GW, Kuro Kage 105 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 BS SW (54*/14F) and LW (58*/12D), DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter