Please Help Me I'm Addicted to Wedges

FlopShotGang

I was wondering if its it normal or okay to become completely obsessed with wedges like I have?  I'm fairly new to golf and started playing at the beginning of the pandy (pandemic) but I practice all the time since I work from home and have a hitting net in my yard. Practicing with my wedges is my personal form of meditation but it has certainly come at a cost. I've been playing for less than a year but I have 9 wedges of different lofts and bounce and I'm always reading about different models, bounces, sole grinds which makes me want to test and buy more wedges. 

The PW, GW, SW, and LW's I currently own are a :

- MP-20 MMC set PW (46*) 

Vokey

-SM7 (46.10)

-SM8 (56.10, 62.08)

Ping

-Ping Glide Forged (50.10)

-Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 (54.08, 56.12, and 60.10)

-Ping Glide 1.0 (58.08)

As you can tell I really like Ping and Vokey wedges and have multiple versions. My typical go to set up is the Vokey SM7 46.10, Ping Glide Forged 50.10, Ping Glide Stealth 56.12 and Vokey SM8 62.08.

I've only been playing for 10 months but I think I have a decent swing and I just love experimenting in all types of short game shots. Living in Southern California also helps because I'm never far from a golf course so I've recently been playing about 1-2 rounds per week. I also happen to conveniently live near a 9-hole pitch and putt course as well as an 18-hole par-3 only course and I love playing at these courses when I'm short on time because the longest hole within both these courses is around 150yds. So its wedges all the way and maybe a 9-iron if its really windy. What's interesting are how different these par-3 courses are because the 9-hole course has soft greens, soft fairways, and fluffy bunkers while the 18-hole course is completely opposite with firm everything... I think playing at these two courses so much and their different conditions is the root of my obsession with wedges because it's all short game practice and experimenting for me. I always game 4 wedges whether playing at a pitch and putt or full par 72 course and just end up changing out clubs different lofts and bounce to optimize the playing conditions of where I play.

Just want to know from you golfing veterans if it's normal to nerd out on wedges when you start playing?

• Like 4

You’re a club ho!  Welcome to the club.  Everyone has their own vice.  I Iove putters.  But I have some different wedges, fairway woods, hybrids, and driver shafts as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

No, it's not ok.  I can help, mail me the stealths.  Kidding of course.  You're a club junkie in the making, so what?  Look, since you're new, you may not have noticed, but the new club "Tech" stories are generally overstated and especially when it comes to wedges.  They're a hunk of metal, very little fancy construction, so it's going to come down to new grind offerings, improvements in face/groove millings for spin characteristics and maybe some COG differences.  The best thing to do is test them.  Getting fitted outdoors for turf interaction is tough for a lot of folks.  Buying a bunch of them will help you find what you really just jive with.  If geeking out on wedges brings you joy, go for it.  If you happen to stumble upon one that works great for you, 2 birds...

Welcome to the forum and you are in good company.  There's a lot of hoes here spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year getting the latest and greatest.  I don't have a problem with that, it's their money.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I suggest you pick a wedge that you like in terms of feel and looks and just fool around it and learn the basics of chipping, pitching, and eventually, flop shots.  To me, wedge design hasn't really changed in decades and a 30 year old $10 Wilson Staff Dynapower found at your local Goodwill will perform just as well as a $500 one that is hand stamped with your initials and hand ground by Bob Vokey himself in the hands of a skilled player.  

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I wish I was at home, I think I am past 40 wedges right now, mostly Vokey and Ping as well

Have fun

Find some old BeCu some BeNi Ping stuff

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1 hour ago, jerryo said:

Be Grateful it’s wedges!! Seriously!

Yeah.  If it was putters he will have problems in the financial sense.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Much better to be addicted to wedges than drivers. Less expensive and will probably become a better golfer for it.

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Is there really much difference wedges right now?  They all look the same, as if everyone has copied the Vokey design.  

I was at Golf Galaxy a few days ago, checking out the wedges.   Honestly, I think I could do just as well with Ping, Callaway, Mizuno or even Cleveland wedges compared to the Vokey I carry.

30 minutes ago, jmagri78 said:

@scooterhd2How are you liking that ER3? Just ordered an ER2 with the gravity grip, super pumped to get it

Honestly, I was pretty set on getting an ER2b, stability shaft, gravity grip, but I didnt want to commit the funds. I was routinely browsing the aftermarket pages for the ER2, when a really good deal came up on the ER3, where I could resell it and make some money if it didn't work.  And I just fell in love with it. I'd probably feel the same way about the ER2, but I have no reason to switch right now. I'm putting really well. And the last thing I want to do is collect putter$. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

26 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Honestly, I was pretty set on getting an ER2b, stability shaft, gravity grip, but I didnt want to commit the funds. I was routinely browsing the aftermarket pages for the ER2, when a really good deal came up on the ER3, where I could resell it and make some money if it didn't work.  And I just fell in love with it. I'd probably feel the same way about the ER2, but I have no reason to switch right now. I'm putting really well. And the last thing I want to do is collect putter$. 

Thanks great feedback. I've always been someone to change putters every year. This year, I made a commitment to myself to spend the money on a quality putter that I can keep for years to come. I tried about 30 different putters out at the local golf store and kept coming back to the Evnroll products. I was between the 5 and the 2. It came down to the amount of toe hang, which the 2 has less than the 5. With the Gravity Grip, the toe hang is 0, which is what I need with SBST stroke. I'll get it in 2-3 weeks, which then I will go back and get fitted for lie/loft if needed to get adjusted. Looking forward to keeping it in the bag for years to come

6 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Welcome to the forum and you are in good company.  There's a lot of hoes here spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year getting the latest and greatest.  I don't have a problem with that, it's their money.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I suggest you pick a wedge that you like in terms of feel and looks and just fool around it and learn the basics of chipping, pitching, and eventually, flop shots.  To me, wedge design hasn't really changed in decades and a 30 year old $10 Wilson Staff Dynapower found at your local Goodwill will perform just as well as a $500 one that is hand stamped with your initials and hand ground by Bob Vokey himself in the hands of a skilled player.  

Thanks for the input and I definitely agree with you about performance for me can be the same with old clubs and a new Vokey. Especially as an amateur it’s probably more important to just work on technique but I just like the feeling of hitting a wedge with new grooves.  

Since I can practice a lot I get to mess around with wedges from week to week and do drills to refine fundamentals of chipping, pitching, and 3/4 swings. 

I know they’re not for amateurs but I also love practicing flop shots (hence my name) in my backyard by softly flopping them over my net. They’re just so much fun and I love watching Phils flop shots on YouTube.

This is a video of me hitting a big floppa a couple months ago- I know my technique still needs a lot of work but whatever it’s so fun to see that thing pop up in the air. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the club!  My winter project has been building wedges to try old grooves.  I bought Vokey 8620 raw wedges in 52.08,56.14, and 60.06.  I initiated my 9 year old daughter into the world of club building by having her epoxy the clubheads on the shafts after installing ferrules.  I stripped the rust so that we can experiment with paintfill.  I have gone through most major brands and have found a set that works, so these will be the practice wedges that live in the trunk to extend the life of my current wedges.  Make sure you try some glare reducing raw wedges while on your journey.  The more you have, the longer they last if you rotate them...

• Like 1

If anything can go right, it might!

7 hours ago, jerryo said:

Be Grateful it’s wedges!! Seriously!

I dunno about that.  The Miura wedges in my bag cost me a pretty penny.  😬

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I can fully sympathize with your wedge fixation.  I live in northern OH where outside golf is 2 months away, at least.  I sent my 4 wedges out to be reshafted and made the mistake of sending them via the USPS.  The expected delivery date of 1/7 to the clubmaker has now become "In transit, delivery later than expected".  In a state of panic, I started checking out wedges and found I really like Cleveland wedges.  So I now have three new Cleveland wedges with another on order and starting to have to stop myself from wanting to buy Mizuno wedges.  There is something about loft and bounce that is irresistible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

5 hours ago, Lobby said:

Is there really much difference wedges right now?  They all look the same, as if everyone has copied the Vokey design.  

I was at Golf Galaxy a few days ago, checking out the wedges.   Honestly, I think I could do just as well with Ping, Callaway, Mizuno or even Cleveland wedges compared to the Vokey I carry.

To be honest probably not. They all kinda of have the same technology and loft/bounce options so I agree with you. I think the only differences at this point would be brand loyalty, comfortability and feel when you hit. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I wish I was at home, I think I am past 40 wedges right now, mostly Vokey and Ping as well

Have fun

Find some old BeCu some BeNi Ping stuff

I’ll be at 40 wedges in a couple years at my current pace. Would love to hear your favorite all time Ping and Vokey wedge models over the years. 

1 hour ago, SammyShaf said:

Welcome to the club!  My winter project has been building wedges to try old grooves.  I bought Vokey 8620 raw wedges in 52.08,56.14, and 60.06.  I initiated my 9 year old daughter into the world of club building by having her epoxy the clubheads on the shafts after installing ferrules.  I stripped the rust so that we can experiment with paintfill.  I have gone through most major brands and have found a set that works, so these will be the practice wedges that live in the trunk to extend the life of my current wedges.  Make sure you try some glare reducing raw wedges while on your journey.  The more you have, the longer they last if you rotate them...

That’s awesome and who knows your daughter might love it and you have your own personal club builder haha.

I don’t have a problem with glare because I LOVE black wedges and most of the ones I game are black besides only my Ping Glide Forged in chrome. I’m intrigued about raw wedges but I’m put off by them mostly because they’re usually more expensive. My 3 Vokeys are in jet black which I guess are technically raw. 

48 minutes ago, homergolf said:

I can fully sympathize with your wedge fixation.  I live in northern OH where outside golf is 2 months away, at least.  I sent my 4 wedges out to be reshafted and made the mistake of sending them via the USPS.  The expected delivery date of 1/7 to the clubmaker has now become "In transit, delivery later than expected".  In a state of panic, I started checking out wedges and found I really like Cleveland wedges.  So I now have three new Cleveland wedges with another on order and starting to have to stop myself from wanting to buy Mizuno wedges.  There is something about loft and bounce that is irresistible.

Sorry to hear about your late wedges. What kind of Cleveland wedges and loft/bounce options did you get? 

also, what kind of Mizuno wedges are you looking at? I’m was thinking of trying Mizuno wedges because I already play mizuno irons. Tested a T20 and ES-21 wedge recently and felt indifferent. T20 was ok but inconsistent for me and the ES-21 was cool but I think they’re only designed for like 80 yards and in because when tested the 54 it performed well for me in everything except full and 3/4 swings. Although the ES21 looks awesome so maybe I’ll get one eventually.

I have 10 PING Glides (or is it 11?), so....I'd say you are perfectly rational!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

7 hours ago, Lobby said:

I play Glides.  I can't stand Vokeys because they are tanks.  For example, the swing weight of a 56 Vokeys is D5 versus D3 for Glide 3.0.

I'm sure many people feel the opposite. 

Mostly, I think it's a brand thing. 15 years ago, everyone I knew played Cleveland. Now Vokeys are the rage with some brand loyalty also, especially for Callaway fans. 

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x