Yardage Books for tournaments

We used decade and they make pretty good yardage books with their program.   I can continue with them but after using the app I find really this the main reason to continue with them at $20 a month.

I been able to find really good yardage books online but at $30 a book. Not a big deal once in a while but it's more than I want to spend on every tournament.  There are few yardage books apps that look great but you can't print them and the problem is you can't use a phone so they don't work.

It would be nice to find somewhere i can order a basic yardage book for under $10.  For a big enough tournament one I would probably pay the $30 because they  have a lot green details in them but for most tournaments that are local we can get away with just a basic yardage book like what decade provides.

In the past I was making my own but honestly it takes way too much time I rather just pay the $20 a month for decade since it just faster and more detailed then making my own.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

Strackaline is really good.  Best I have purchased but they are steep.

Puttview are really good as well.  

Golf Logix books are mixed.  Some of them are not accurate if greens have been redone or course modifications.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Strackaline and puttview are ok but my problem is the cost even if you get them less then $30 it can add up if you do say 20 tournaments a year.

Obviously it good to have green information but for various reasons but I don't think they work for every course because it may been a long time since they were scanned and can vary based on conditions, etc... 

Certain tournaments I think you can justify the cost.

The Decade yardage books though are pretty good. There very detailed and will have custom yardage and tee's the only fault I have is they do not have green information.  I like them but if I could find a basic yardage book for cheap and pickup more detailed ones when needed it might be a better option.

Decade works great but once you learn the system you really only uses the app and keep stats.   The yardage book is pretty good but I am finding out that keeping too many stats has it's own issues and sometimes you need to step back see the big picture.

• Like 1

I should add the cheaper yardage books I have seen are not really to scale and that is the issue.  Having a good yardage book with yardage to scale makes it much easier to show up and play.

We started to play a lot tournaments so many that doing practice rounds is becoming an issue you just can't do them all.  So a yardage book has become pretty important.

Decade is $240 a year not a huge expense  but it would be nice to know there are other options,

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Medson said:

Why is that? I have heard people mentioned this before, I’m curious about the reason. 

All my opinion: 

1. The green reading books with their detailed topography takes the skill out of the game. 

2. Yardage books much the same, although not as much. Regardless, courses have 100, 150, 200, and sometimes 250 marks on the course. Just use them and pace off the distance.  I'd be in favor of range finders from beginners to the PGA Tour.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

16 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

All my opinion: 

1. The green reading books with their detailed topography takes the skill out of the game. 

2. Yardage books much the same, although not as much. Regardless, courses have 100, 150, 200, and sometimes 250 marks on the course. Just use them and pace off the distance.  I'd be in favor of range finders from beginners to the PGA Tour.

I'm with you on the green topography. That is something you should have to figure out on your own during a practice round. I'm all for rangefinders both at the pro and amateur level. It's such a big factor in speeding up play when you're not having to constantly search for a sprinklerhead or yardage marker and then pace it off back to your ball.

That being said, I think yardage books (without the green topography) still have tremendous value and should be used. It's very helpful for courses with a lot of blind shots or to know how far it is from the tee to a fairway bunker, the yardage to a lay up area, and so on. Sometimes those can be tough to figure out with just a rangefinder especially on flatter courses. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

All my opinion: 

A green reading book really doesn't help that much. The only thing you get is confirmation that what your seeing is correct.   I don't think you see tour pro's miss a lot putts if they didn't have it. I think it speeds up play too.  So much more to putting then just knowing how the green is.

PGA pro's really don't need a laser finder. They have caddies who's job is to be their laser finder and with their yardage books can figure out yardages quite well. It's an essential skill for a Pro.

Laser finders are okay but there for players that not skilled enough to figure out yardages which is almost everyone today. They actually slow play down because you have to take time to get your distances. Before laser finders players were much more aware of their location on the hole.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

A green reading book really doesn't help that much. The only thing you get is confirmation that what your seeing is correct.   I don't think you see tour pro's miss a lot putts if they didn't have it. I think it speeds up play too.  So much more to putting then just knowing how the green is.

PGA pro's really don't need a laser finder. They have caddies who's job is to be their laser finder and with their yardage books can figure out yardages quite well. It's an essential skill for a Pro.

Laser finders are okay but there for players that not skilled enough to figure out yardages which is almost everyone today. They actually slow play down because you have to take time to get your distances. Before laser finders players were much more aware of their location on the hole.

You’ve never seen a pga tour yardage book have you?  If you think they’re just looking for the yardage to the flag you’re nuts. 

This is the yardage and greens book from Liberty National last year. 

Edited by leezer99
  • Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

2 hours ago, leezer99 said:

You’ve never seen a pga tour yardage book have you?  If you think they’re just looking for the yardage to the flag you’re nuts. 

This is the yardage and greens book from Liberty National last year. 

541390F8-C6A7-4F7A-95DF-79C1C1C74F7A.jpeg

46F0D7A1-4280-408C-B69F-7C82D8E93721.jpeg

PGA players are not allowed laser finders they need references and that is a big reason for more detailed yardage books.

Having data on the greens is nice to confirm a read but doesn’t really help as much people think.

you still need to have the correct speed and guarge  the conditions that day on the green.  No guarantee that there correct either and sometimes there off.

having a yardage book is not going to be some great secret either that is going to make you suddenly a better player.

It mainly to help you plan your game and organize your thoughts.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

PGA players are not allowed laser finders they need references and that is a big reason for more detailed yardage books.

Having data on the greens is nice to confirm a read but doesn’t really help as much people think.

you still need to have the correct speed and guarge  the conditions that day on the green.  No guarantee that there correct either and sometimes there off.

having a yardage book is not going to be some great secret either that is going to make you suddenly a better player.

It mainly to help you plan your game and organize your thoughts.

From what experience are you speaking?  Being a daddy caddie?

2 hours ago, leezer99 said:

From what experience are you speaking?  Being a daddy caddie?

You are not understanding what I am saying. It good to have notes and clearly PGA pro's take notes.  The books are good and also help that the courses they play have recent scans.  But I would say the majority of PGA pro's could putt just fine without those notes,

How do I know this I been told by a shortgame coach who actually teaches pro's. The book is for you to double check what you see with your own eyes.  it's for the 1% of the time you miss your read when looking at the hole. If you are of more then that you need to learn how to read greens better. He told me you don't want to rely on yardage books to make putts.

Just knowing how a green is going to brake is only a very small part of making a putt.  Getting the speed of the greens down is even more important. No book will tell you how fast a given green is going to be on a given day.

The books help and having the information will make you calmer but it's not going to be a huge difference and make you score 20 strokes less a weekend.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

You are not understanding what I am saying. It good to have notes and clearly PGA pro's take notes.  The books are good and also help that the courses they play have recent scans.  But I would say the majority of PGA pro's could putt just fine without those notes,

How do I know this I been told by a shortgame coach who actually teaches pro's. The book is for you to double check what you see with your own eyes.  it's for the 1% of the time you miss your read when looking at the hole. If you are of more then that you need to learn how to read greens better. He told me you don't want to rely on yardage books to make putts.

Just knowing how a green is going to brake is only a very small part of making a putt.  Getting the speed of the greens down is even more important. No book will tell you how fast a given green is going to be on a given day.

The books help and having the information will make you calmer but it's not going to be a huge difference and make you score 20 strokes less a weekend.

I think you're misunderstanding the amount of detail players and caddies get into.  

> No book will tell you how fast a given green is... 

Umm... they do exactly that.  The greens books have slope percentages on them, heat maps for slope, contour lines, etc. and tell you exactly how fast a putt is going to be.  That's why there are FOUR images of each green in their books.

> I been told by a shortgame coach who actually teaches pros...

I'm relaying info from a PGA Tour caddie that is actually out there using these books.  I've also spoken to the guy that makes these books for the pros that goes out every week and spends two days scouting out courses, laser mapping greens, producing the yardage/greens books and so on.

> it's not going to be a huge difference and make you score 20 strokes less...

The guys on tour aren't looking for 20 shots.  They are looking for maybe half a stroke a round.  The difference in making the cut or going home empty handed is quite often razor thin for these guys.

There's also a reason why these books cost over a hundred bucks each at every event they play.  And like my buddy (the caddie) says, if it didn't help they wouldn't do it. 

We all know how Bryson is very analytical across his entire game and especially on the putting green.  I think this stat speaks for itself.

image.png.93c514dace30768bf14d372ff8e5595f.png

BUT... none of this matters if you can't hit the shots.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I think you're misunderstanding the amount of detail players and caddies get into.  

> No book will tell you how fast a given green is... 

Umm... they do exactly that.  The greens books have slope percentages on them, heat maps for slope, contour lines, etc. and tell you exactly how fast a putt is going to be.  That's why there are FOUR images of each green in their books.

> I been told by a shortgame coach who actually teaches pros...

I'm relaying info from a PGA Tour caddie that is actually out there using these books.  I've also spoken to the guy that makes these books for the pros that goes out every week and spends two days scouting out courses, laser mapping greens, producing the yardage/greens books and so on.

> it's not going to be a huge difference and make you score 20 strokes less...

The guys on tour aren't looking for 20 shots.  They are looking for maybe half a stroke a round.  The difference in making the cut or going home empty handed is quite often razor thin for these guys.

There's also a reason why these books cost over a hundred bucks each at every event they play.  And like my buddy (the caddie) says, if it didn't help they wouldn't do it. 

We all know how Bryson is very analytical across his entire game and especially on the putting green.  I think this stat speaks for itself.

image.png.93c514dace30768bf14d372ff8e5595f.png

BUT... none of this matters if you can't hit the shots.

I am talking about amateurs and more importantly kids not pga pro’s playing for a million a week.

I am not paying hundreds for a yardage book either. 

• 1 month later...

Don't get crazy with the yardage books. Keep them simple. I work with a lot of elite juniors, from 9 to college, and green reading is def a skill that needs to be developed, so keep the lines and breaks out of their minds. In my opinion, a good yardage book for a junior is one that is basically an overview or screenshot of the hole, with a simple X marking there their carry is, and another x for potential run. I also like my players to use a highlighter to determine where the short sides are on the greens. This type of book (Bluegolf also has a yardage book option) is the best. The player has a determined aiming point, they know what their carries are, and they recognize the shape of the hole. Save the money, and if you have a creative child let them draw the hole out themselves on a plain yardage book (easy to build), even color it up and draw in fun shapes, etc. This helps them with visualization, gets them involved in the process, lets them get creative, and it will def help with their game. When they get older and play in high level elite events, the Decade and Stracka can help.

• Like 4
Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*; Callaway PM Grind 64*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
Bridgestone B RXS

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, wildcatden said:

Part of this has to do with shifts in the pro-caddie relationship. Prior to the arrival of traveling tour pro + caddie pairs, a pro showed up at a tournament and got a local caddie for his rounds. The local caddie had the knowledge of the little dips and hard spots, and the wind currents, that could influence shots.

That's no longer the case, although the pro + caddie memorize the regular tournament courses after a couple of seasons together.

And, the detailed topo information is available due to CAD/computerized design of most modern golf holes. Plus, parallel data is collected when the different GPS companies map courses for their systems.

In terms of equity, it's most fair to make such info available to all. It's not like you can keep it a secret. 

Despite all this helpful information, some pros take longer to plan a 7i fairway shot out than they do to order dinner at Tavern on the Green.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

Part of this has to do with shifts in the pro-caddie relationship. Prior to the arrival of traveling tour pro + caddie pairs, a pro showed up at a tournament and got a local caddie for his rounds. The local caddie had the knowledge of the little dips and hard spots, and the wind currents, that could influence shots.

That's no longer the case, although the pro + caddie memorize the regular tournament courses after a couple of seasons together.

And, the detailed topo information is available due to CAD/computerized design of most modern golf holes. Plus, parallel data is collected when the different GPS companies map courses for their systems.

In terms of equity, it's most fair to make such info available to all. It's not like you can keep it a secret. 

Despite all this helpful information, some pros take longer to plan a 7i fairway shot out than they do to order dinner at Tavern on the Green.

If you want to study detailed topographical maps of the green in preparation via practice rounds or looking at them at home, that sounds fine. I'm just not a fan of carrying those types of maps around the course during tournaments.   The level of detail in these maps has now been around for over a decade (circa 2008 if I recall).  Just really takes the a big piece of the skill out of the game if you ask me.

But I'm a nobody. Just a golf fan. I'm still watching the Tour.

How Green-Reading Maps Are Changing The Way People Putt | Golf News and  Tour Information | Golf Digest

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

2 hours ago, wildcatden said:

...If you want to study detailed topographical maps of the green in preparation via practice rounds or looking at them at home, that sounds fine. I'm just not a fan of carrying those types of maps around the course during tournaments.

Personally, I wouldn't want to look at the green map on every hole - just if I felt lost. Two possible drawbacks to topo overload:

• Paralysis by analysis: a choppy putting stroke from overthinking
  • Ending up "on the clock": A couple of guys I've golfed with would be DQed for slow play if they had a book like this. Like, they'd be gone before the front nine was over!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

20 hours ago, wildcatden said:

If you want to study detailed topographical maps of the green in preparation via practice rounds or looking at them at home, that sounds fine. I'm just not a fan of carrying those types of maps around the course during tournaments.   The level of detail in these maps has now been around for over a decade (circa 2008 if I recall).  Just really takes the a big piece of the skill out of the game if you ask me.

How Green-Reading Maps Are Changing The Way People Putt | Golf News and  Tour Information | Golf Digest

You can have all the maps and details in the world but you still have to make the shot and make the putts.   I don't know about anyone else but  short of a wedge just off the green the likely hood of a guaranteed shot within 15 feet of where you aim is almost impossible for even the very best players.   

Most amateurs are probaly 30-60 feet from the spot where they aimed.  Law of averages means they will get some really close shots which results in easy birdies.

Once you are on the green 99.9% of the time you can see the same thing all those arrows are telling you.  The pro's all have the books because well 1 shot every 3 or 4 rounds they save is totally worth the money.

The value for juniors is not the shots they are going to save.  They however are great aid to teaching kids how to read greens especially on courses you play all the time.

Edited by tiger1873

21 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Touring Professionals are using the books to show them landing spots for their approach shot as much or more than using for putting.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elwhippy said:

If a kid wants to learn to play he or she needs to use some older clubs and work out their own distances. Same with reading greens. Feel is still a major part of being a good player. Getting too analytical at too young an age can be detrimental. 

Looks like I'll be cutting down my C-Taper 125 S+ later on today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/10/2021 at 4:39 AM, elwhippy said:

If a kid wants to learn to play he or she needs to use some older clubs and work out their own distances. Same with reading greens. Feel is still a major part of being a good player. Getting too analytical at too young an age can be detrimental. 

This is an antiquated way of thinking.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

I couldn't belive the amout of book reading at a recent AJGA.  It looks like everyone is studying for the finals.

For those who use them, how many shots per round does it save the player?  

One day might be 2-3 next day may not be any.  If speed control isn't there it doesn't matter if you have a book or not.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...