The 'New Technology' Con

manxytag

On 1/15/2021 at 5:36 AM, manxytag said:

does anybody feel like me?

Ping Heppler going back to smooth faces.

Now Odyssey going back to the White Hot insert.

Yet each year we are told the new technology will make you better.

I believe we are all being conned and all the designers are doing is making the new clubs look better.

Drivers are designed to look good on the bottom purely for when they are on a rack in a shop.

Each year they make small adjustments which makes all the difference and the prices just keep going up and up.

Been saying the same thing. With the exception of newer drivers and possibly woods, which might help to carry the ball a lil longer and straighter off of mishits, the rest are very much a marketing ploy from equipment manufacturers. 
Beside that, golf shaft, especially graphite ones, is the only area that I see real innovation in. 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:36 AM, manxytag said:

does anybody feel like me?

Ping Heppler going back to smooth faces.

Now Odyssey going back to the White Hot insert.

Yet each year we are told the new technology will make you better.

I believe we are all being conned and all the designers are doing is making the new clubs look better.

Drivers are designed to look good on the bottom purely for when they are on a rack in a shop.

Each year they make small adjustments which makes all the difference and the prices just keep going up and up.

Been going on for decades.  Welcome to reality.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

It’s always entertaining when someone on WRX comes to the realization that the role of big golf companies is basically to concoct ever more ludicrous marketing stories around ever more tiny incremental/cosmetic improvements to generate revenue and increase market share. And that no, sorry, a new bag of that equipment isn’t going to magically make you a scratch golfer. I know, it sucks. 😭

• Like 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

I don’t get why everyone is so negative about this stuff.  I’m happy that golf companies are really good at marketing to the casual golfer... If not, we would see far less new equipment.  Even if the new equipment isn’t better across the board, we sure have far more options to dial in what we are looking for now days.

Edited by Shupe
Autocorrect hates me
  • Thanks 1

I believe the big thing with putters is the ability to help golfers that putt poorly and create poor dynamics,

As others have stated the technology is in the fit and less so in the ability to tweak one small factor or another - but in the same breathe they are getting better generation over generation - especially drivers and metal woods. 

A great putter with a 40 year old blade is still going to be a great putter, but a poor putter with some face technology to help with their bad dynamics and a larger shape to help alignment can bring with it some big improvement. Ive seen it too many times to say that "it doesn't matter" because it does.

With the OG White hot, its like Odyssey bringing back a refined and better version of something that was successful - just like how Chevy reintroduced the Camaro. 

Also just like the Camaro, buying a new car doesn't make you a better driver - but some technology can help assist with accident avoidance and when it comes to new gear its similar - its not instantly going to just make you a better golfer but it puts you in a position to fail less often and in turn hit better shots. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Hogan was interested in accuracy rather than hitting it anywhere near his maximum distance.

image.png.17c348c5fb217f13ee2c10e2556e5d48.png

The 3W and Driver seemed to give Hogan more distance comparatively than the other clubs. Also, the top players in the persimmon-head era knew how ride the wind and manipulate trajectory for rollout to get a couple of 300-yard drives per round. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

2 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.17c348c5fb217f13ee2c10e2556e5d48.png

The 3W and Driver seemed to give Hogan more distance comparatively than the other clubs. Also, the top players in the persimmon-head era knew how ride the wind and manipulate trajectory for rollout to get a couple of 300-yard drives per round. 

Yeah, love watching the old Shell matches to see how they used the wind. It was more important then with such high spinning gear. 

1 hour ago, RyanBarathWRX said:

A great putter with a 40 year old blade is still going to be a great putter, but a poor putter with some face technology to help with their bad dynamics and a larger shape to help alignment can bring with it some big improvement. Ive seen it too many times to say that "it doesn't matter" because it does.

A couple of things about improving putting:

• Dominant eye. Some suggest knowing if you are left-eye or right-eye dominant can help you in putting. Several golf mag explanations and "how to" suggestions on this.
  • Grip thickness. Regardless of age, players who are a bit twitchy benefit from thicker grips, which will smooth out the stroke.
  • Putter fitting. Once a golfer has a putter he or she likes, or is getting a new putter, get a fitting. A tweak in lie angle, shaft length or head weight can do wonders in helping consistency. (One guru claims golfers should just go see a fitter to be "put into" a putter, and not try to pick the best one ourselves.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 1/17/2021 at 10:29 AM, codeman said:

The only driver tech that can increase at this point is MOI and aerodynamics. The faces are maxed out to the legal limit and have been for years. The marketing gimmick that the shape of the driver will make any noticeable difference in distance because you will swing it faster is absurd and just shows that they really have run out of things to do.

Many years ago, Pederson Golf made some lovely persimmon woods with a spoiler carved on the back.  I nearly talked myself into them.

23 hours ago, RyanBarathWRX said:

I believe the big thing with putters is the ability to help golfers that putt poorly and create poor dynamics,

As others have stated the technology is in the fit and less so in the ability to tweak one small factor or another - but in the same breathe they are getting better generation over generation - especially drivers and metal woods. 

With the OG White hot, its like Odyssey bringing back a refined and better version of something that was successful - just like how Chevy reintroduced the Camaro. 

Also just like the Camaro, buying a new car doesn't make you a better driver - but some technology can help assist with accident avoidance and when it comes to new gear its similar - its not instantly going to just make you a better golfer but it puts you in a position to fail less often and in turn hit better shots. 

Good points here. Keep in mind Odyssey has not claimed the OG White Hot puts a better topspin roll on the ball and covers up mistakes better than the microhinge. They only said it is popular, so they brought it back with stroke lab. This is marketing the consumers pushed for!

The original microhinge on the O Works line (circa 2016-17?) is the one that Odyssey said tests show puts the best roll on the ball — the one with the metal teeth hinges embedded in it that is now three generations ago. For inconsistent amateurs that helps mitigate mishits and matters a lot more than it does for pros. That also was one of Odyssey’s less popular inserts, which is kind of funny. 

IMO the most egregious marketing is some of the claims on irons. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 weeks later...

I have to bump this thread because Srixon is advertising with a slogan aimed at their driver and golf balls, "built for distance". When they make an unethical statement like that, at least in my opinion, they give the impression that their equipment goes further than other companies. Aren't all golf balls and clubs limited in terms of distance? Does a Srixon ball or driver hit it farther then Callaway, Titlest, or others? I don't think so. BS (capital letters) advertising, and unethical. 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

16 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

I have to bump this thread because Srixon is advertising with a slogan aimed at their driver and golf balls, "built for distance". When they make an unethical statement like that, at least in my opinion, they give the impression that their equipment goes further than other companies. Aren't all golf balls and clubs limited in terms of distance? Does a Srixon ball or driver hit it farther then Callaway, Titlest, or others? I don't think so. BS (capital letters) advertising, and unethical. 

It's like telling your friends it's X inches, but telling your wife, it's how you use it.  No one believes your marketing story, but you put it out there anyway, 'cause you have to.

• Haha 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 1/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, cgasucks said:

I swear the marketing departments of the major OEMs must be the most creative bunch of people in the world.  I tip my hat to those who can repackage the wheel every year and convince people that it's cutting edge technology on putters, wedges, and drivers.

Yours and my signature prove that. Yep those V-Steels still hit as good as anything else out there--- I need to reshaft mine to fit my slower SS now. And yeah 99 Apex are as good if not better than anything else out there today

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

If you added up all of the claims by golf equipment companies over the years, every par 4 would be a drive and chip, and you should be putting for eagle on every par 5.

It used to be wood and steel, now we have cryogenically frozen, nanoparticle, NASA researched shafts and heads made from exotic materials harvested from asteroids and the Marianas Trench.

And yet the average golfer still can't buy a par.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

If you opened up Callaway Golf website this is the first thing you read when entering the site:

The Future of Speed

In Epic Speed, we used Artificial Intelligence to engineer a NEW formula for speed that doesn’t even seem possible. Check out the new Epic Speed family of woods today.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

If you added up all of the claims by golf equipment companies over the years, every par 4 would be a drive and chip, and you should be putting for eagle on every par 5.

It used to be wood and steel, now we have cryogenically frozen, nanoparticle, NASA researched shafts and heads made from exotic materials harvested from asteroids and the Marianas Trench.

And yet the average golfer still can't buy a par.

You forgot the Manganese Nodules harvested from the sea floor. 

For those not old enough, you can Google Manganese Nodules CIA Howard Hughes.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize