Srixon clubs deserve more love!

RoyalMustang

Anyone else here agree with me? 

I picked up a slightly used set of Z585 irons w/C-Taper S+ 125 shafts here for $525.  This is probably the 6th GI players iron I have tried; I have used Global Golf's used club tryout to give a bunch of things a shot, including 2 sets that are here with me (and being sent back today): Titleist AP3 irons w/S300 shafts and Ping i210 irons with S400 shafts. 

With the Z585 I played a par 60 course in insane winds: steady 20mph winds, gusts to 40.  To give you an idea, I was blown backwards while attempting to putt; you can't really putt well in these conditions at any rate.  Anyways, I still made 11-18 GIR (with some creative punches on a few holes and plenty of clubbing up and down).  Even the greens I missed were close and gave me a good shot at an up-and-down. These clubs are so easy to hit: they feel like a real iron but misses (I made thin, fat, and toe) are super forgiving.  On a 184 yard par 3, with winds gusting right to left and downwind about 45 degrees, I hit an easy 8-iron and had a thin toe strike.  The ball landed 40 feet right of the pin.  Nobody was behind me, so I hit a second ball.  I hit this one in the sweet spot, but it was only 10 feet left to the pin and 5 yards longer.  That is forgiveness; a tight grouping on misses vs squared-up shots. I saw the same on the range.  If anything, these clubs tend toward a very high launch compared to my Mizuno MMC w/DG120X shafts; it could be the heads or could be the shafts, but they are easy to hit. I get a bit of a draw if I rush the swing, but the feedback is so good that I tend to know what happened and can correct it on the next swing.  the MMC is forgiving for what it is, but these are on another planet and really encourage easy swings.  Before, in trying to "swing easy", I always had to club up (say for 165, real easy 7 vs normal 8 )and with these given that I get a ton of height and lots of spin, I can hit the 8 easy without the low ball flight that the 7 MMC DG120X produces, even though the loft on the 585 8 is close to the MMC 7. No other club I have tried feels like this: they just feel long and forgiving but like someone swapped numbers on the sole of the club.  Odd I know but maybe these just "work".  Others have said the same. 

I have had a similar experience with my bargain basement Z785 driver, which I picked up with a CK Pro Orange 70g TX shaft from Global Golf for $185.  I hit 3 of 4 fairways yesterday, and even with the wind conditions, felt like I had plenty of control. In fact, I was able to get a predictable draw and drive a 345 yard hole that was playing 45 degrees downwind.  Obviously I wouldn't drive the ball 345 in normal conditions, but the fact that I could aim toward water right and know the driver was likely to draw around and catch that wind was a first for me!   I have been trying out several "new release" drivers (Ping and Titleist) and still nothing beats this driver for me in terms of consistency. It goes straight more often than not and my misses aren't that bad. When I took the Z785 to PGATSS to try against the new stuff, the guy working there was dissing the Z785, saying it was a POS, but I didn't see better numbers from anything else I tried.  

I am not saying Srixon is the holy grail of clubs, but I have had 2 (3 if you count the Cleveland 48 degree RTX4 wedge I have) experiences where they clearly worked best for my swing and game.  

My game at this point is all about learning to be consistent and dealing with a club that can give me a bit more consistent results and tons of feedback while I shake off the rust and improve.  

I am not sure about the C-taper shafts yet. I love the weight and feel, but they do launch really, really high.  I get plenty of spin though; most of my iron shots yesterday spun back between 1-5 feet. 

• Like 3

Srixon makes high quality golf clubs that look pretty and perform well. They just didn't spend enough money for marketing and brainwashing.

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

50 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I don't think you need to pump up Srixon on GolfWRX, I think they get plenty of love here especially when talking about their irons. It's more the average joes without a golf addiction that walk into a big box shop for new irons. Most of them will automatically gravitate towards Callaway, TM, Titleist, etc, maybe look at Srixon, scoff at it and walk out with another set. 

With the direction Srixon is going and growing support you'll eventually see them in more bags as time goes on. 

Agreed, here and MGS people love them. I would personally game them had it not been for being fit for my 0211s, although i haven't hit them personally. That speaks to the praises of them. Hence why i am really hoping to be a tester of the new ZX series.

Edited by Rbsiedsc
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Just now, Rbsiedsc said:

Agreed, here and MGS people love them. I would personally game them had it not been for being fit for my 0211s, although i haven't hit them personally. That speaks to the praises of them.

I play the 585 and 785s and they are great, the one thing I do wish is that I got the 785 up to 7i or even 6i and keep the 585 with the 4-5i just for a bit more control and better feel. Whenever my next set of irons are due Srixon will be high on the list for sure. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Just now, MattM97 said:

I play the 585 and 785s and they are great, the one thing I do wish is that I got the 785 up to 7i or even 6i and keep the 585 with the 4-5i just for a bit more control and better feel. Whenever my next set of irons are due Srixon will be high on the list for sure. 

fully agree and i am kicking myself to not ask my fitter to try the Srixons. I would likely go 4-6 if not just full set, maybe go 5-AW ZX7 and then have a ZX utility at the 4i just for some extra help. So many possibilities.

• Like 1

I switched to 919 tours, and I sort of miss my z765s to be honest 😢

• Sad 1

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

My prior set of gamers (now at my in-laws' beach house) before I got my new 0211's (1st ever fitted set), are a combo set of z565 5i & 6i and 7i-PW z765.  I really like the feel of the Srizon irons.

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Man, you guys are giving me the itch to snag some of these now......ah!

I really hope i am chosen as a tester for the ZX irons here, as i would really run them through its paces

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Shhhh... don't tell people about Srixon. I don't want too many people to start using them. Good things are best kept secret.  Lol.

Look at my profile pic and you know which brand I like 😉

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

The new ZX series irons are on my watchlist and I'm really keen to try them out. But this thread has me totally confused. The OP absolutely raves about the Z585s making me think I should just get a full set of the new ZX5 series. But I was considering getting a mixed set say ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-P. But then a bunch of other posters say they wish they had split the set at the 7 or even the 6 iron. Decisions, decisions.  🤔 Lol.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

8 minutes ago, kiwihacker said:

The new ZX series irons are on my watchlist and I'm really keen to try them out. But this thread has me totally confused. The OP absolutely raves about the Z585s making me think I should just get a full set of the new ZX5 series. But I was considering getting a mixed set say ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-P. But then a bunch of other posters say they wish they had split the set at the 7 or even the 6 iron. Decisions, decisions.  🤔 Lol.

I would test both. I really don’t like the sole width on the 5 series mid irons. The 7 series is absolutely perfect IMO. 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I would test both. I really don’t like the sole width on the 5 series mid irons. The 7 series is absolutely perfect IMO. 

^^^ Harumph!

I spent the last month driving retailers nuts as that guy that would hit clubs for a while, check the numbers, hand the clubs back and walk out.  Beyond the sole, IMO there are differences in launch/spin you need to consider - especially if going the combo route.

I found the difference between the two in ‘forgiveness’ (i.e., ball speed and flight profile retention) to be a complete Blutarsky.  However, even with the stronger loft I hit the ZX5 7i higher - by quite a bit.  Problem is, I didn’t spin it as much as I want to and the variability in spin was greater.

I can use that help at 27 degrees (ie, ZX5 6 iron) but don’t need it at 31/32 and prefer the greater consistency.  Consequently, I split my order at 6i/7i.  YMMV but it is definitely worth hitting both and paying attention to all the numbers.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

42 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

^^^ Harumph!

I spent the last month driving retailers nuts as that guy that would hit clubs for a while, check the numbers, hand the clubs back and walk out.  Beyond the sole, IMO there are differences in launch/spin you need to consider - especially if going the combo route.

I found the difference between the two in ‘forgiveness’ (i.e., ball speed and flight profile retention) to be a complete Blutarsky.  However, even with the stronger loft I hit the ZX5 7i higher - by quite a bit.  Problem is, I didn’t spin it as much as I want to and the variability in spin was greater.

I can use that help at 27 degrees (ie, ZX5 6 iron) but don’t need it at 31/32 and prefer the greater consistency.  Consequently, I split my order at 6i/7i.  YMMV but it is definitely worth hitting both and paying attention to all the numbers.

I haven't hit the 7 series irons: they are more similar to my Mizuno MMC MP20 set from what I hear.  Probably a bit more spin and a bit lower launching.  I just figure at my current level (playing for 6 months) the 5 series is more suited to my abilities. Plus, I get a bit steep at times and a fatter sole isn't terrible for me. 

I went with a full set of 585s. I regret not going with a combo set. I love the irons but spin gets a little lower than I would like in the short irons. Launch gives it enough stopping power for most but I live in the desert and often play in pretty high wind. I would prefer the lower launch/higher spin of the 785s in short irons. 

• Like 1

It’s becoming old hat to keep pumping up Srixon and calling them underrated.   They are exceptional clubs. I am on to my third set of their irons - started with 545, went to 765/965 and now have 785/Z-Forged.

Whatever the secret ingredient is they’ve discovered it. They have mastered the art of finding the balance between demanding and forgiving, resulting in the most playable irons for a wide majority of golfers.  I suspect it’s all in the Tour VT sole.

And the fact that they make sets that blend so easily also helps. I transition from hybrid - driving iron - tour cavity - blade and they all just fit nicely.

Throw some Cleveland wedges in there and you’re set

• Like 4

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

2 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

I was considering getting a mixed set say ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-P.

You'll just have to determine how far down in the bag you want a little more forgiveness, and were you would like the clubs with a little more precision to start.  Best of luck with your, "decisions, decisions."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

8 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Every time I have tried them I've been underwhelmed. I personally don't think they are anything special and I hate the V sole.

Do you like Mizuno?  Not being a wise a** - serious question?  Seems to me that those that can play Mizuno with their lack of bounce/camber might not be happy with the V-sole - especially if they regularly play firm courses.

I had a long torrid affair with the MP-64 but every other Mizuno club has been a garden spade with any moisture on the course.  Can play thin if it has a little bounce camber (e.g., 718 MB/CB) or as thick as Ping i210 -but, thin/sharp/no bounce doesn’t work for me on the typically medium-soft courses that I play.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

1 minute ago, Aviador Naval said:

Do you like Mizuno?  Not being a wise a** - serious question?  Seems to me that those that can play Mizuno with their lack of bounce/camber might not be happy with the V-sole - especially if they regularly play firm courses.

I had a long torrid affair with the MP-64 but every other Mizuno club has been a garden spade with any moisture on the course.  Can play thin if it has a little bounce camber (e.g., 718 MB/CB) or as thick as Ping i210 -but, thin/sharp/no bounce doesn’t work for me on the typically medium-soft courses that I play.

JPX line yes, blades no.

Ping irons work really well in my hands, i210 especially

22 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Every time I have tried them I've been underwhelmed. I personally don't think they are anything special and I hate the V sole.

This is fair. If the v sole doesn’t work for you then Srixon irons are not for you.

I’m not sure what type of player they favour to be honest. I suspect if you miss more on the fat side like I do then  they will work for you. Not sure if that means if your miss is thin that they won’t work for you though 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

1 minute ago, anth said:

This is fair. If the v sole doesn’t work for you then Srixon irons are not for you.

I’m not sure what type of player they favour to be honest. I suspect if you miss more on the fat side like I do then  they will work for you. Not sure if that means if your miss is thin that they won’t work for you though 

My miss is indeed thin so maybe you are onto something there.

16 minutes ago, anth said:

I need that V-sole on my wedges!  I get too quick and hit off my back foot-chunk!

8 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I need that V-sole on my wedges!  I get too quick and hit off my back foot-chunk!

Concentrate on keeping at least 60% of your weight on your front leg.  Per the PGA Pro with whom I have had a few group lessons.

Snell - MTB  Black

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

In all seriousness I have found the sole helps on slightly fat chips. I think they call this technique using the bounce. It’s the best way for me to chip and the mid sole in the RTX works well for this 

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

I’ve always heard good things about srixon. I definitely play some of their balls when I find them and I feel they play like other high quality balls

PXG Gen5 0311XF 9* Ventus Black Velocore 6X
Cobra F6 Baffler 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Yellow

Cobra F6 Baffler 5 Wood Aldila NV Green

Mizuno Pro 221 Blue ion Irons Dynamic Gold S200
Mizuno T22 Blue ion 52,54,58
PXG Black Jack

My 565's will likely be my last set of irons I own.  Love them.  Strongly considering switching the woods to Srixon as well.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City