Autoflex at 95% discount?

MysteryV

On 1/16/2021 at 5:00 AM, MysteryV said:

Really though - how many people have tried playing a 46", flexy shaft, with a similar EI profile, at D1.5 SW outside the recent AF experiments?  It just doesn't seem like it's been done - and without a comp - it's pretty hard to say what AF does differently.

Only seen this once. One of my friends used to use a ladies Rombax on his driver and 3wood. I believe it was 45 grams.

He has SS about 90mph, very low spin and low launch swinger, so the ladies shaft actually helped him.

Would love to know your results since you have high swing speed.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

This thread reminds me of the Fiberspeed shafts that came out back in the 80s/90s. Super flexible, which is fine for a smooth swing. But get someone with a hard transition and it was like swinging a fly rod! In this situation, I believe they claim the AF shaft for high swing speeds has fairly low torque, which will give you SOME semblance of control. However, the Lady NV has in excess of 5* torque, which will make it feel a lot softer than the AF, IMHO. I hit a few balls with the Fiberspeed shafts back when they came out. At that time I was in my 20s and was swinging up around 120. I had to be super smooth to even keep the ball in sight and never was really able to reach max speed with them. Remember, if you want to go more flexible, you need to go lower in torque to maintain a feeling of control.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

The replacement for the broken shaft hasnt arrived yet, so we thought it would interesting to experiment with Aerotech Alt 470 senior flex shaft to compare it with the Autoflex 505.

aerotech.jpg.b8382ab8ed30937c6976b1165e5a83eb.jpg

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

Guys, if you want to try the lady flex, senior flex shafts, just go to the big box stores.  You can always go to try it and see how it perform.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

So my NVS shaft arrived, however I also found a "MENS MIYAZAKI C.KUA 43 GRAM SENIOR SHAFT" which may be a closer comp.  Problem is, I only have one Callaway Adapter at the moment, and it happens to be a Tour Strong adapter - so I'm waiting to put it on the C.Kua.

May order another for the NVS.

With regards to trying ladies flex at a big box store - it really wouldn't be apples to apples for me.  I'm looking to test at the same 47" length, with the same D1 / D2 swingweight, same Mavrik TD head.  Granted I'll likely try to tweak a bit - but since that's what I have experience with and numbers for - I'd like to keep the variables as close as possible to start.

• Like 2

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

On 1/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, laxwax said:

Check the tip on the C Kua, it should be a 0.350, probably would be better to get a aftermarket callaway tip and ream it. Wouldn’t you want to ruin a tour green dot adapter.

Thanks for the heads up.  I found the spec sheet below and it looks like the 43 series is .335.  I wouldn't have even though about tip size being an issue (but maybe I lucked out).

https://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/sp/miyazaki/Miyazaki-Ckua-Shaft-Spec.pdf

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

+1 looking forward to seeing the test results!

Titleist TSR3 10 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 15* UST Mamiya Linq Purple 6F4

Titleist TS3 19 Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Titleist U500 4i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 HY 6.0

Titleist 620MB 5-PW AeroTech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium 2 Newport KBS GPS Tour 120 Rainbow
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

On 1/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, laxwax said:

Check the tip on the C Kua, it should be a 0.350, probably would be better to get a aftermarket callaway tip and ream it. Wouldn’t you want to ruin a tour green dot adapter.

So the C. Kua finally showed up here today - and you were right - the tip is .350.

So you think reaming a pulled Cally adapter is the way to go here?  I really wanted to put the Green Dot on it, but seems like taking 0.15 off the tip is no bueno?  

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

So I picked up a .350" adapter, and put it on the C. Kua today.  Surprisingly - the C. Kua tip is pretty beefy.  The shaft itself is oddly beefy with what feels like a large butt diameter and relatively thick tip.  Upon first waggle, it shows noticeably less flex than the 505x.

It's playing at ~46.5" in an old epic head I have - probably a little longer when I pop it in the Mavrik TD.  

Hoping to get to the range this week.  Will report back.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

So I picked up a .350" adapter, and put it on the C. Kua today.  Surprisingly - the C. Kua tip is pretty beefy.  The shaft itself is oddly beefy with what feels like a large butt diameter and relatively thick tip.  Upon first waggle, it shows noticeably less flex than the 505x.

It's playing at ~46.5" in an old epic head I have - probably a little longer when I pop it in the Mavrik TD.  

I am really interested in your results. I just got my Miyazaki C.KUA 39 regular flex (could not find an "A" flex as @jgard320 suggested was closest match from the comparison chart) in the other night and put it into my Epic Flash 9 degree driver and hit about 15 balls just to make sure I was able to make contact and nothing was going to break since I am a shaft newbie 🙂 .. I plan on testing it again soon with my SkyTrak to capture the ball data and will compare it to the same length Tensei AV blue 65 gram stiff shaft that I have with the same head. I am not expecting much difference but would just think with it being 20+ grams lighter I would naturally swing it a bit faster?? 

I was a bit shocked at your "Hoping to get to the range this week" comment above as I thought you had previously stated you had PRGR to monitor the AutoFlex shaft CHS compared to your older Ventus shaft? Guessing that means you don't have a net or something to hit into an need to go to the actual range?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Already tried Aerotech's ALT470 senior flex. No range session, straight onto the course. After a few more rounds, will write a review. I too was very surprised the Alt470 was "stiffer" than the 505x when waggling it. Just puts into perspective how whippy the AF is.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

On 1/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, Ri_Redneck said:

This thread reminds me of the Fiberspeed shafts that came out back in the 80s/90s. Super flexible, which is fine for a smooth swing. But get someone with a hard transition and it was like swinging a fly rod! In this situation, I believe they claim the AF shaft for high swing speeds has fairly low torque, which will give you SOME semblance of control. However, the Lady NV has in excess of 5* torque, which will make it feel a lot softer than the AF, IMHO. I hit a few balls with the Fiberspeed shafts back when they came out. At that time I was in my 20s and was swinging up around 120. I had to be super smooth to even keep the ball in sight and never was really able to reach max speed with them. Remember, if you want to go more flexible, you need to go lower in torque to maintain a feeling of control.

BT

This. I think a lot of people trying this experiment will end up disappointed by the results. I also think anyone without a default smooth swing will be less than impressed with the autoflex.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:00 AM, shaolingolfer said:

Guys, if you want to try the lady flex, senior flex shafts, just go to the big box stores.  You can always go to try it and see how it perform.

This as well...you can walk into any range that lets you demo or big box store to test out a shaft similar to the ones in the chart, or even the same ones in the chart.

I do have it on pretty good authority that a well known component clubmaker may be prototyping shafts that follow this bend profile. You'd probably be looking at close to a 90% discount in that case. Of course, that might never come to be for any number of reasons in the process of developing new shafts.

Edited by jgard320

9 minutes ago, jgard320 said:

This. I think a lot of people trying this experiment will end up disappointed by the results. I also think anyone without a default smooth swing will be less than impressed with the autoflex.

It's interesting how the AF shaft can't correct (or actually exposes) an incorrect loading sequence.    

Edited by nvr3putt

8 hours ago, jgard320 said:

I have a very quick transition and have no issues at all with the AF. I hit it well from swing #1 and it is by far the straightest shaft I have ever hit.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

On 2/9/2021 at 9:38 PM, SEP1006 said:

I have a very quick transition and have no issues at all with the AF. I hit it well from swing #1 and it is by far the straightest shaft I have ever hit.

Any adjustments to the head weight on your SIM Max? Do you keep it at 10.5? I've got the same head, but looking into the Autoflex so just curious.. Seems it launches high so may want to lower that loft, but I struggle with keeping club face closed as it is - so I don't want to lower that loft and open it even more. Nowhere around has them to get fit, so may just buy one and give it a go.. 

4 minutes ago, Maceez13 said:

Any adjustments to the head weight on your SIM Max? Do you keep it at 10.5? I've got the same head, but looking into the Autoflex so just curious.. Seems it launches high so may want to lower that loft, but I struggle with keeping club face closed as it is - so I don't want to lower that loft and open it even more. Nowhere around has them to get fit, so may just buy one and give it a go.. 

No adjustments to the head weight at all. If I remember it came in right at 196 grams. Also I have mine lofted down to 9*. I also tried an 8* Sim Max head with some success but when I was off the side spin killed me and was costing me a couple shots around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

No adjustments to the head weight at all. If I remember it came in right at 196 grams. Also I have mine lofted down to 9*. I also tried an 8* Sim Max head with some success but when I was off the side spin killed me and was costing me a couple shots around.

Thanks - I just ordered one, can't wait to give it a go. 

1 hour ago, Maceez13 said:

Thanks - I just ordered one, can't wait to give it a go. 

Forgot to add and I know I mentioned it on the AF thread but I'm playing mine at 45".

I knew a guy back in 2002 that used an Aldila NV 65-R and bombed it over 300y. It was like he overpowered the shaft but that created like an uniform bend that felt good to him and his turn forward still delivered the face square.  You must have a very

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

4 hours ago, markheardjr said:

I knew a guy back in 2002 that used an Aldila NV 65-R and bombed it over 300y. It was like he overpowered the shaft but that created like an uniform bend that felt good to him and his turn forward still delivered the face square.  You must have a very

Kyle Berkshire is using some sort of lightweight R-flex shaft in competition for similar reasons. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

So it's been a hectic couple weeks with work, but finally got out to give it a couple swings.  Truth be told, I only swung it 5 or 10 times as I didn't have much time, and had a brand new TSi3 w/ Tensei White 1k TX I wanted to get some swings in with before playing this weekend.

I'll give it a more proper go when I have a bit more time, but the C. Kua did not feel nearly as good as the AF.  It definitely isn't as flexible on the waggle test, and felt a bit firmer all around.

The results were tough to decipher.  It was a high, straight flight as you'd expect, but in the limited balls I hit, I wasn't seeing the same distance.  The 46.5" (E0 SW) TSi3 however was about the same distance for me as my Mavrik TD Autoflex was (though the ball speeds were a bit lower).

I'll do a more proper test soon and post results.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB