Autoflex at 95% discount?

On 1/16/2021 at 5:00 AM, MysteryV said:

Really though - how many people have tried playing a 46", flexy shaft, with a similar EI profile, at D1.5 SW outside the recent AF experiments?  It just doesn't seem like it's been done - and without a comp - it's pretty hard to say what AF does differently.

Only seen this once. One of my friends used to use a ladies Rombax on his driver and 3wood. I believe it was 45 grams.

He has SS about 90mph, very low spin and low launch swinger, so the ladies shaft actually helped him.

Would love to know your results since you have high swing speed.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 10* Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 7x

Titleist 915F 15* Kurokage Proto 7s

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19* Kurokage 9x

Callaway Apex Pro '14 (4-Pw) DG 120 Tour Iss. x100

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Vokey SM7 56*S Black

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I predict 4000+ rpm hooks. 

nothing more than rolling shutter effect by that point.  Driving force behind the bend is for the head to line up with the shaft plane and not much more than that. 

Yeah, I’m not too impressed with autoflex. In my opinion, it favors slow swingers or high level ball strikers with very smooth swings. Slower swingers could probably see similar results out of the che

Posted Images

This thread reminds me of the Fiberspeed shafts that came out back in the 80s/90s. Super flexible, which is fine for a smooth swing. But get someone with a hard transition and it was like swinging a fly rod! In this situation, I believe they claim the AF shaft for high swing speeds has fairly low torque, which will give you SOME semblance of control. However, the Lady NV has in excess of 5* torque, which will make it feel a lot softer than the AF, IMHO. I hit a few balls with the Fiberspeed shafts back when they came out. At that time I was in my 20s and was swinging up around 120. I had to be super smooth to even keep the ball in sight and never was really able to reach max speed with them. Remember, if you want to go more flexible, you need to go lower in torque to maintain a feeling of control.

BT

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

The replacement for the broken shaft hasnt arrived yet, so we thought it would interesting to experiment with Aerotech Alt 470 senior flex shaft to compare it with the Autoflex 505.

aerotech.jpg.b8382ab8ed30937c6976b1165e5a83eb.jpg

Vokey SM7 56*S Black

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

Guys, if you want to try the lady flex, senior flex shafts, just go to the big box stores.  You can always go to try it and see how it perform.

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

So my NVS shaft arrived, however I also found a "MENS MIYAZAKI C.KUA 43 GRAM SENIOR SHAFT" which may be a closer comp.  Problem is, I only have one Callaway Adapter at the moment, and it happens to be a Tour Strong adapter - so I'm waiting to put it on the C.Kua.

May order another for the NVS.

With regards to trying ladies flex at a big box store - it really wouldn't be apples to apples for me.  I'm looking to test at the same 47" length, with the same D1 / D2 swingweight, same Mavrik TD head.  Granted I'll likely try to tweak a bit - but since that's what I have experience with and numbers for - I'd like to keep the variables as close as possible to start.

• Like 2

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

On 1/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, laxwax said:

Check the tip on the C Kua, it should be a 0.350, probably would be better to get a aftermarket callaway tip and ream it. Wouldn’t you want to ruin a tour green dot adapter.

Thanks for the heads up.  I found the spec sheet below and it looks like the 43 series is .335.  I wouldn't have even though about tip size being an issue (but maybe I lucked out).

https://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/sp/miyazaki/Miyazaki-Ckua-Shaft-Spec.pdf

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

+1 looking forward to seeing the test results!

TaylorMade SIM Max 9 PX EvenFlow T1100 White 

Cobra King LTD @ 18.5 Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI

Cobra King Utility @ 23.5 Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI

Titleist 620 MB 5-PW MCA MMT 105

TaylorMade Milled Grind MyHi-Toe @ 55, 60 KBS C-Taper 120

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Vessel Lite Lux

Spares: Sub70 639CB, putters

On 1/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, laxwax said:

Check the tip on the C Kua, it should be a 0.350, probably would be better to get a aftermarket callaway tip and ream it. Wouldn’t you want to ruin a tour green dot adapter.

So the C. Kua finally showed up here today - and you were right - the tip is .350.

So you think reaming a pulled Cally adapter is the way to go here?  I really wanted to put the Green Dot on it, but seems like taking 0.15 off the tip is no bueno?  

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

So I picked up a .350" adapter, and put it on the C. Kua today.  Surprisingly - the C. Kua tip is pretty beefy.  The shaft itself is oddly beefy with what feels like a large butt diameter and relatively thick tip.  Upon first waggle, it shows noticeably less flex than the 505x.

It's playing at ~46.5" in an old epic head I have - probably a little longer when I pop it in the Mavrik TD.  

Hoping to get to the range this week.  Will report back.

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

So I picked up a .350" adapter, and put it on the C. Kua today.  Surprisingly - the C. Kua tip is pretty beefy.  The shaft itself is oddly beefy with what feels like a large butt diameter and relatively thick tip.  Upon first waggle, it shows noticeably less flex than the 505x.

It's playing at ~46.5" in an old epic head I have - probably a little longer when I pop it in the Mavrik TD.  

I am really interested in your results. I just got my Miyazaki C.KUA 39 regular flex (could not find an "A" flex as @jgard320 suggested was closest match from the comparison chart) in the other night and put it into my Epic Flash 9 degree driver and hit about 15 balls just to make sure I was able to make contact and nothing was going to break since I am a shaft newbie 🙂 .. I plan on testing it again soon with my SkyTrak to capture the ball data and will compare it to the same length Tensei AV blue 65 gram stiff shaft that I have with the same head. I am not expecting much difference but would just think with it being 20+ grams lighter I would naturally swing it a bit faster?? 

I was a bit shocked at your "Hoping to get to the range this week" comment above as I thought you had previously stated you had PRGR to monitor the AutoFlex shaft CHS compared to your older Ventus shaft? Guessing that means you don't have a net or something to hit into an need to go to the actual range?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Already tried Aerotech's ALT470 senior flex. No range session, straight onto the course. After a few more rounds, will write a review. I too was very surprised the Alt470 was "stiffer" than the 505x when waggling it. Just puts into perspective how whippy the AF is.

Vokey SM7 56*S Black

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

On 1/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, Ri_Redneck said:

This thread reminds me of the Fiberspeed shafts that came out back in the 80s/90s. Super flexible, which is fine for a smooth swing. But get someone with a hard transition and it was like swinging a fly rod! In this situation, I believe they claim the AF shaft for high swing speeds has fairly low torque, which will give you SOME semblance of control. However, the Lady NV has in excess of 5* torque, which will make it feel a lot softer than the AF, IMHO. I hit a few balls with the Fiberspeed shafts back when they came out. At that time I was in my 20s and was swinging up around 120. I had to be super smooth to even keep the ball in sight and never was really able to reach max speed with them. Remember, if you want to go more flexible, you need to go lower in torque to maintain a feeling of control.

BT

This. I think a lot of people trying this experiment will end up disappointed by the results. I also think anyone without a default smooth swing will be less than impressed with the autoflex.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:00 AM, shaolingolfer said:

Guys, if you want to try the lady flex, senior flex shafts, just go to the big box stores.  You can always go to try it and see how it perform.

This as well...you can walk into any range that lets you demo or big box store to test out a shaft similar to the ones in the chart, or even the same ones in the chart.

I do have it on pretty good authority that a well known component clubmaker may be prototyping shafts that follow this bend profile. You'd probably be looking at close to a 90% discount in that case. Of course, that might never come to be for any number of reasons in the process of developing new shafts.

Edited by jgard320
9 minutes ago, jgard320 said:

This. I think a lot of people trying this experiment will end up disappointed by the results. I also think anyone without a default smooth swing will be less than impressed with the autoflex.

It's interesting how the AF shaft can't correct (or actually exposes) an incorrect loading sequence.    

Edited by nvr3putt
8 hours ago, jgard320 said:

I have a very quick transition and have no issues at all with the AF. I hit it well from swing #1 and it is by far the straightest shaft I have ever hit.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:38 PM, SEP1006 said:

I have a very quick transition and have no issues at all with the AF. I hit it well from swing #1 and it is by far the straightest shaft I have ever hit.

Any adjustments to the head weight on your SIM Max? Do you keep it at 10.5? I've got the same head, but looking into the Autoflex so just curious.. Seems it launches high so may want to lower that loft, but I struggle with keeping club face closed as it is - so I don't want to lower that loft and open it even more. Nowhere around has them to get fit, so may just buy one and give it a go.. 

4 minutes ago, Maceez13 said:

Any adjustments to the head weight on your SIM Max? Do you keep it at 10.5? I've got the same head, but looking into the Autoflex so just curious.. Seems it launches high so may want to lower that loft, but I struggle with keeping club face closed as it is - so I don't want to lower that loft and open it even more. Nowhere around has them to get fit, so may just buy one and give it a go.. 

No adjustments to the head weight at all. If I remember it came in right at 196 grams. Also I have mine lofted down to 9*. I also tried an 8* Sim Max head with some success but when I was off the side spin killed me and was costing me a couple shots around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

No adjustments to the head weight at all. If I remember it came in right at 196 grams. Also I have mine lofted down to 9*. I also tried an 8* Sim Max head with some success but when I was off the side spin killed me and was costing me a couple shots around.

Thanks - I just ordered one, can't wait to give it a go. 

1 hour ago, Maceez13 said:

Thanks - I just ordered one, can't wait to give it a go. 

Forgot to add and I know I mentioned it on the AF thread but I'm playing mine at 45".

I knew a guy back in 2002 that used an Aldila NV 65-R and bombed it over 300y. It was like he overpowered the shaft but that created like an uniform bend that felt good to him and his turn forward still delivered the face square.  You must have a very

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 85 6.5
TaylorMade '08 Burner 5W 17.5° w/ p9003TX

TaylorMade '08 Burner Tour Only 7W 19° w/ Matrix RUL 80X
Srixon Z745 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter and Rosemark Thorn grip

4 hours ago, markheardjr said:

I knew a guy back in 2002 that used an Aldila NV 65-R and bombed it over 300y. It was like he overpowered the shaft but that created like an uniform bend that felt good to him and his turn forward still delivered the face square.  You must have a very

Kyle Berkshire is using some sort of lightweight R-flex shaft in competition for similar reasons. 

• Haha 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

So it's been a hectic couple weeks with work, but finally got out to give it a couple swings.  Truth be told, I only swung it 5 or 10 times as I didn't have much time, and had a brand new TSi3 w/ Tensei White 1k TX I wanted to get some swings in with before playing this weekend.

I'll give it a more proper go when I have a bit more time, but the C. Kua did not feel nearly as good as the AF.  It definitely isn't as flexible on the waggle test, and felt a bit firmer all around.

The results were tough to decipher.  It was a high, straight flight as you'd expect, but in the limited balls I hit, I wasn't seeing the same distance.  The 46.5" (E0 SW) TSi3 however was about the same distance for me as my Mavrik TD Autoflex was (though the ball speeds were a bit lower).

I'll do a more proper test soon and post results.

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB