Autoflex at 95% discount?

MysteryV

A good and stable low priced sub 50 gram shaft is Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45 series, where the S flex at 48 grams is the strongest. Ive used it for elite players in the 105 mph range, so if a 110-115 mph player seeks a soft but stable option, where swing tech is used more than power, this shaft would be a option to try. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 1 month later...

So I built an experimental driver with my LTD head and the NVS ladies shaft at 45". This thing is goofy to swing. Surprisingly I can hit it quite well, however it is getting 4k+ spin rate. I don't think it will make the bag, but it has served well as a training aid at the range as it is almost like an orange whip. 

Edited by LandOfBoz

On 2/16/2021 at 1:58 PM, MysteryV said:

So it's been a hectic couple weeks with work, but finally got out to give it a couple swings.  Truth be told, I only swung it 5 or 10 times as I didn't have much time, and had a brand new TSi3 w/ Tensei White 1k TX I wanted to get some swings in with before playing this weekend.

I'll give it a more proper go when I have a bit more time, but the C. Kua did not feel nearly as good as the AF.  It definitely isn't as flexible on the waggle test, and felt a bit firmer all around.

The results were tough to decipher.  It was a high, straight flight as you'd expect, but in the limited balls I hit, I wasn't seeing the same distance.  The 46.5" (E0 SW) TSi3 however was about the same distance for me as my Mavrik TD Autoflex was (though the ball speeds were a bit lower).

I'll do a more proper test soon and post results.

This has gone awfully quiet - results that bad?

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

On 4/2/2021 at 3:56 PM, Qegurezi said:

This has gone awfully quiet - results that bad?

Haha - no - not all.  I just went the opposite direction with a new TSi3 / Tensei 1k 60TX combo and have put 100% of my focus there.

The initial results were good - just lost focus for me.  I should probably put the shafts up on BST - but still hope to get around to it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Mitsubishi Bassara GG 53 S which is on Golf Shaft Reviews as having a close profile to the Autoflex (I actually got a GG 43 R).  However, the Autoflex has a lower torque rating.   I was hitting indoors with my YUPITERU Atlas Golf Swing Trainer.  I discovered that it did nothing for my swing speed, ball speed or yardage. 

What did was:

adding 2" to shaft length. 

removing 16 grams of head weights, 15 gram shaft reduction, 45 gram grip reduction (JumboMax wrap to JumboMax Ultralite)

Result: Gained 7 mph average

Question: is 180 grams too light for a club head?  It's the Cobra F9 which I really like and hit well.  I saw a blip on a TXG video where they mentioned meeting a certain minimum head weight to "get it to work" and I think it was about 190 gr.  Wondering what the effect of it being too light will be.

Along those lines, I had been used to playing the heavy weight forward and when I switched it around I couldn't find the sweet spot.  I thought it was supposed to be easier with the weight back.  Was I just having a bad day (cause I definitely was)?

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought I would add an update since playing two rounds at my home course.  The new set up got me about an extra twenty yards of carry on a good strike.  On 17 I cleared a bunker I never had before AND I was playing from the gold tees, a good 20 yards behind the blues.  I made one adjustment during the first round and that was to set the club to a draw position because I had too many going right.  I also put the 2 gram weight up front and left the rear weight position empty.  I think what I will do is add lead tape to the heel side and put it back to a neutral setting.  The Ping G410 SFT fairway works quite well for me and uses heel weighting to fight a fade.  Oh yeah, the best was the two par fives on the front I was able to get in position to reach in two which I haven't been able to in years and I did it on nine!

• 1 year later...

I wonder how many people went straight to Ebay after reading the above post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I recently ordered the motore f3 R2 in a PXG 7.5 gen5. Have used it twice on the sim so far. The first night I was really impressed with the consistency and forgiveness. Last night I couldn't find the center of the face but the forgiveness was still there. Going to move the weights around and tinker a bit more before coming to any conclusion. 

I went from a C.Kua 53 gram A flex to a Maltby 43 gram L flex, as the launch angle of the C.Kua was lower than I wanted. The Maltby gave me higher launch, longer carry and total distance, with no loss of accuracy. I'm 100% satisfied, especially as this experiment only cost me $55 including the grip. I'm not saying this is for everybody by any means, but all the naysayers who dismiss offhand using anything less than an XXS shaft should be summarily ignored, IMHO of course.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I used to play scrambles with a guy named Chris. He had a Cleveland Launcher 460cc with a 55-R Aldila NV. He hit it 300+ with a mild draw on repeat. Also played with a kid named Mike that played golf at a lower end college. He also had a Launcher 460, with the stock Fuji Gold shaft in Stiff flex. I watched him hit 330y-350y repeatedly. Guy was like 5'6". He sure could turn that little body around like a spinning top.

Flex and weight are just letters and numbers. Try it, see if it works.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Anyone try a 40G AD-DI or AD-IZ in R2 flex?

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

10 hours ago, Zena said:

So in essence, demo-ing a Titleist TSi1 with the stock 40R shaft would be like playing the 505X Autoflex?

It would be so close you can make a very good assessment based on that shaft and head setup. I would recommend tuning the weights to make it playable. When I first got my autoflex it took a few weeks to tune it to get that best results for me. I have used that to tune all my test shafts to make it as close to the same feels and performance. If you just slap a head on and the shaft you will get mixed results. Using such a low flex and weight in a shaft requires work to get it to work right with your swing and tendencies. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Anyone try a 40G AD-DI or AD-IZ in R2 flex?

I have tried many of the GD shafts. None really match the bend profile very well. I did get some good results but spin and launch was always the issue. I like to see a very specific launch condition and most of the time these shafts ballooned pretty severely and to me was not playable. I do create allot of dynamic loft which is probably why these don't work for me. 

3 hours ago, alexg47 said:

It would be so close you can make a very good assessment based on that shaft and head setup. I would recommend tuning the weights to make it playable. When I first got my autoflex it took a few weeks to tune it to get that best results for me. I have used that to tune all my test shafts to make it as close to the same feels and performance. If you just slap a head on and the shaft you will get mixed results. Using such a low flex and weight in a shaft requires work to get it to work right with your swing and tendencies. 

Makes sense. Would you have any recommendations for the XX version? I game a Cobra F9 that is 194g with the stock 14g/2g weights that seems perfect to use here as a baseline.

Edited by Zena

1 hour ago, Zena said:

Makes sense. Would you have any recommendations for the XX version? I game a Cobra F9 that is 194g with the stock 14g/2g weights that seems perfect to use here as a baseline.

Well this is where I put my club fitter hat on. Every swing is like a fingerprint. You can make many generalizations but no one can get in your head and feel what you feel and know how your body will react to that different situations. That being said I would start with start with the aldia in a stiff. Remember that has allot of feel so if you are not used to that then you will react very strange to it. If that is too much feel then move to the fuji in stiff and maybe even regular. The stiffer butt section will get rid of all the head lag you would normally feel in an autoflex. The last part would be the head weights. That will take much more time to tune since its mostly situational. The premise there is stabilizing the face for better misses and lowering the trajectory and spin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alexg47 said:

Well this is where I put my club fitter hat on. Every swing is like a fingerprint. You can make many generalizations but no one can get in your head and feel what you feel and know how your body will react to that different situations. That being said I would start with start with the aldia in a stiff. Remember that has allot of feel so if you are not used to that then you will react very strange to it. If that is too much feel then move to the fuji in stiff and maybe even regular. The stiffer butt section will get rid of all the head lag you would normally feel in an autoflex. The last part would be the head weights. That will take much more time to tune since its mostly situational. The premise there is stabilizing the face for better misses and lowering the trajectory and spin.

I use the Aldila Ascent Red 70X untipped in my 3 wood, and I use the AD IZ 80X in my 5 wood so I like the feel (to the point where I accept too high flight and too much spin to play them) and prefer my driver setup at D0 or so, which is why this thread drew my interest.

Generalizations are never perfect, but they serve as a starting point. Thank you for your efforts here, sounds like I'll be hunting down a new shaft for this experiment 🙂

• Like 1