Recentering - drawbacks?

Quick question for the WRXers - to combat issues with a stalled rotation/pushback in the downswing, steepening move and flips, all that good stuff... alot is mentionned (rightfully so) on recentering at the top (AMG, Dana D, ground force plates, lead knee flex Monte, etc) - with more of a pressure shift rather than a weight swing (that usually causes swaying?) - allowing for a hard lead hip pushback / rotational force with a shallow move coming from NTC-casts, ulnar, throwing of the club from a wide trail arm (and without dropping the trail shoulder)... but, are there any drawbacks from 'overdoing' a good move; i.e. recentering too much / excess pressure on the lead foot in transition ?... (other than losing secondary tilt if you recenter by tilting left excessively) - it seems that, doing the lead only drill, I can swing properly and easily without any major drawback (rotational and vertical forces) - is it only related to a loss of speed/power?... I'll hang up and listen

I mean theoretically there are drawbacks to overdoing anything. I think recentering is pretty hard to overdo though if you move off the ball at all in the takeway.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

38 minutes ago, rondo01 said:

so you’re telling me if I recenter, I get to play less golf? Pass. 

😛

Me too. If you're going to spend 4 hours doing something, might as well get your money's worth1 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

this seems like you are overthinking it...  nobody consciously thinks recentering...  it simply feels like you start transferring your weight back to the lead foot slightly before you get to the top of your swing.  

Edited by bogeypro
Correction

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

5 hours ago, bogeypro said:

this seems like you are overthinking it...  nobody consciously thinks recentering...  it simply feels like you start transferring your weight back to the lead foot slightly before you get to the top of your swing.  

My guess is that actually a lot of people need to consciously think re-centering. Too many stay back over their right leg with their upper body and only move their lower body to the lead foot. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bogeypro said:

Of course I’m overthinking it but I’m asking and doing it to try and see if there are major drawback to it... since we can see that 95% of the swings show some sort of sway, ott, stall/flip - all good things that ‘can’ be eliminated with recentering and a good sequence; why isn’t that mainstream teaching, a powerful move that can kill a few stones easily (even if you have to do it consciously)

2 hours ago, MtlJayMan said:

Of course I’m overthinking it but I’m asking and doing it to try and see if there are major drawback to it... since we can see that 95% of the swings show some sort of sway, ott, stall/flip - all good things that ‘can’ be eliminated with recentering and a good sequence; why isn’t that mainstream teaching, a powerful move that can kill a few stones easily (even if you have to do it consciously)

But that's kindof my point...  Who hasnt heard about shifting weight or shifting pressure.  I'm my mind, recentering is just a check point within the larger action of the weight/pressure shift.  If the idea of recentering gets someone to shift correctly and at the right time, that's great.  Sometimes a simple buzzword is all it takes for someone to understand... and that's great.  

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

1 hour ago, bogeypro said:

But that's kindof my point...  Who hasnt heard about shifting weight or shifting pressure.  I'm my mind, recentering is just a check point within the larger action of the weight/pressure shift.  If the idea of recentering gets someone to shift correctly and at the right time, that's great.  Sometimes a simple buzzword is all it takes for someone to understand... and that's great.  

I’m definitely with you on that - and that buzzword helps me in my pre shot routine... was just looking to see if there is a known major drawback when overdoing it; otherwise why not press like a madman on that lead foot getting to the top (obviously an exaggeration but you get the idea)

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This recentering lark sounds like bull£$&t. Looks like the kind of deal that ends with us getting sandbagged. Hard pass. 

It’s just a new term, not a new movement.  It’s what elite players do shifting pressure correctly, instead of the excessive weight shift right  and Late shift left that most golfers do.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

18 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

It’s just a new term, not a new movement.  It’s what elite players do shifting pressure correctly, instead of the excessive weight shift right  and Late shift left that most golfers do.

I was playing along with gag. Maybe the British sarcasm is too subtle. 😀

15 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I was playing along with gag. Maybe the British sarcasm is too subtle. 😀

Damn, how did that get by me?  Too many year removed from watching Black Adder.

”Edmund, are you going to fight with us?”

”Actually, I thought I’d fight the enemy.”

Baldric!!!!!!!!

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Damn, how did that get by me?  Too many year removed from watching Black Adder.

”Edmund, are you going to fight with us?”

”Actually, I thought I’d fight the enemy.”

Baldric!!!!!!!!

I had no idea that Blackadder had travelled across the pond! It seems like such British humour that it wouldn't translate, but I guess funny is always funny. 🙂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I don’t remember where I found it, but it was 20 years ago.  

My favorite British humor story was I went to see Snatch on opening day, as I had really enjoyed Lock, Stock......Because Brad Pitt was in it, the theatre was filled with women.  I was sitting in the back by myself laughing hysterically for 2 hours, all the while, all the women in the theatre would turn around and look at me like I had lost my mind.  “What’s he laughing about, I don’t see what’s funny.  There’s obviously something wrong with him.”  They were correct of course.

Love those movies so much. In similar vein, I'm prone to yelling "Need to have a shite!" in an Irish accent at random and generally inappropriate moments when the post funeral hangover scene pops into my head. Your comment about there obviously being something wrong with him applies equally to me. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Love those movies so much. In similar vein, I'm prone to yelling "Need to have a shite!" in an Irish accent at random and generally inappropriate moments when the post funeral hangover scene pops into my head. Your comment about there obviously being something wrong with him applies equally to me. 

My friend and I do that all the time.  As a matter of fact, I did it a few days ago.  My favorite viewing of Snatch was with closed captions.  When you see what he’s saying on the screen, you can actually hear it.  Brad Pitt didn’t get near enough attention for what a great job he did.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

10 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

My friend and I do that all the time.  As a matter of ft, I did it a few days ago.  My favorite viewing of Snatch was with closed captions.  When you see what he’s saying in the screen, you can actually hear it.  Brad Pitt didn’t get near enough attention for what a great job he did.

Both of those films are so quotable - they're indelibly etched into the idiot zone in my head.  

I've never thought to watch Snatch with captions on, but that's a great idea! Brad Pitt did do a great job, and he took it on with no fee - just a cut of the royalties. 

15 hours ago, bogeypro said:

I have to think about it conciously since I have not done it correctly for a long time, especially since it's something that can only be practiced dynamically 

7 hours ago, CasualLie said:

I'm still trying to figure out how would one overdo recentering?  Being recentered is just a moment in the swing.  Everyone is going to get there; it's just for some way too late.

Extreme example to try and illustrate - lead foot only drill; if you are standing completely on your front foot by the time you are at the top and transition / downswing from there (it isn’t too hard to do actually if you pushback correctly on your lead hip; the point of the drill) - but wouldn’t that be over recentering?... any major drawback from it? (loss of speed/power)... and if there isn’t one, why aren’t we swinging that way? (I know, extreme example)

3 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Extreme example to try and illustrate - lead foot only drill; if you are standing completely on your front foot by the time you are at the top and transition / downswing from there (it isn’t too hard to do actually if you pushback correctly on your lead hip; the point of the drill) - but wouldn’t that be over recentering?... any major drawback from it? (loss of speed/power)... and if there isn’t one, why aren’t we swinging that way? (I know, extreme example)

That's kind of Stack & Tilt or even a reverse pivot. Re- centering means that you shift away from the center and then shift back. In your example, you never shift away from the center. The whole concept of the re-centering is that you move dynamically from left to right, then from right to left. That's how you can create a lot more power. If you over-do the shift to the left with both your lower and upper body you would fall over. 

5 minutes ago, Golfbeat said:

The whole concept of the re-centering is that you move dynamically from left to right, then from right to left. That's how you can create a lot more power. If you over-do the shift to the left with both your lower and upper body you would fall over. 

Agreed and well explained on power; the whole idea on dynamic energy transfer to the lead side by recentering and stopping that horizontal force with pressure ‘in the ground’ from the lead foot - that stopping aspect is important (and your last phrase talks about it) rotational and vertical forces taking over from there... 

15 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Agreed and well explained on power; the whole idea on dynamic energy transfer to the lead side by recentering and stopping that horizontal force with pressure ‘in the ground’ from the lead foot - that stopping aspect is important (and your last phrase talks about it) rotational and vertical forces taking over from there... 

The stopping aspect is a bit more than pressure of the lead foot. You need to actually move you body back again in the follow through. Most people call it bracing. Tucking your butt in under you and leaning slightly back with your upper body.

So it is: shift - turn - shift - turn - brace.

Edited by Golfbeat

27 minutes ago, Golfbeat said:

The stopping aspect is a bit more than pressure of the lead foot. You need to actually move you body back again in the follow through. Most people call it bracing. Tucking your butt in under you and leaning slightly back with your upper body.

So it is: shift - turn - shift - turn - brace.

Yes, if you don't recenter the entire body it's impossible to use the ground correctly. 

23 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I don’t remember where I found it, but it was 20 years ago.  

My favorite British humor story was I went to see Snatch on opening day, as I had really enjoyed Lock, Stock......Because Brad Pitt was in it, the theatre was filled with women.  I was sitting in the back by myself laughing hysterically for 2 hours, all the while, all the women in the theatre would turn around and look at me like I had lost my mind.  “What’s he laughing about, I don’t see what’s funny.  There’s obviously something wrong with him.”  They were correct of course.

Great movie, great performance.  My wife couldn’t finish it, I’ve rewatched it. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly