Recentering - drawbacks?

4 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

The stopping aspect is a bit more than pressure of the lead foot. You need to actually move you body back again in the follow through. Most people call it bracing. Tucking your butt in under you and leaning slightly back with your upper body.

So it is: shift - turn - shift - turn - brace.

Very interesting - ties nicely with the force plates videos showing; horizontal (forward) / rotational / vertical (up) forces being applied to great swings and all the ‘stops’ (lead pressure / pushback / bracing) required to transfer that energy to the ball... thanks for sharing that term!

To answer the OP's original question, I'd say that the move could be "overdone" if you get your body too ahead of the ball, leading you to have the face pretty open at impact, leading to big pushes and slices. With irons, it can mean topping the ball.

BUT, that's coming from someone who doesn't transfer well at all still (even as a mid-single-digit), where I've compensated for a long time. My miss is a hook (and a heeled smother hook) that often comes from hanging back and squaring the face from there (i.e. - too early). For someone who doesn't transfer pressure well, my swing can feel loose out-of-control when working on it consciously. (Interestingly, the looseness and out-of-control feel is in part due to what's probably an increase in swing speed, which is something that most of us want. But I need to nail down other swing aspects to get the face on the ball squarely.)

If done properly, at least by definition there isn't anything detrimental, since all pros appear to do it. If you're trying to break out of engrained habits, though, it can be tough, since you might have to undo other parts (wrist conditions/face orientation, etc.) of the swing that were compensations.

22 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Never heard of re-centering.  My first thought was, “Just what 5e golfing world needs.  More obscure jargon to cover lack of actual effective teaching.”

My second thought was that if you do the transition right, you don’t need to think about re-centering, and if you don’t, thinking about it will do you no good.

Then I thought, don’t be “that guy,” look at what re-centering means before you say stupid things about it.  So to Youtube and a fellow named Alistair Davies I go.  He shows how to re-center, and what he shows is that the body moves back towards the target while the backswing is being completed (the right hip still rotating clockwise as viewed from above).  That is, he shows how to do a proper transition.

Left with the thought that if, up to now, the teaching profession has largely failed to grasp and teach the mechanics of the transition, repeating the word “re-center” (the effect of the transition) is unlikely to do the trick.

Except the people that teach recentering show "how and why" to do  it. It's not just a useless term. I find it hugely beneficial and it's what I'm working on while stuck inside this winter, along with wrist conditons. 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

21 hours ago, MtlJayMan said:

Very interesting - ties nicely with the force plates videos showing; horizontal (forward) / rotational / vertical (up) forces being applied to great swings and all the ‘stops’ (lead pressure / pushback / bracing) required to transfer that energy to the ball... thanks for sharing that term!

The “recentering” is caused by a proper backswing. For me, if I allow my hips to freely rotate however much is need for me to turn my shoulders on a steep plane, extend my trail leg and get my trail shoulder even with or even very slightly ahead of the ball at the top..I guarantee myself that I have recentered.  It sounds complicated but it’s essentially the “snead” or “gankas” top backswing position.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KMeloney said:

To answer the OP's original question, I'd say that the move could be "overdone" if you get your body too ahead of the ball [...]

BUT, that's coming from someone who doesn't transfer well at all still (even as a mid-single-digit), where I've compensated for a long time.

If done properly, at least by definition there isn't anything detrimental, since all pros appear to do it. If you're trying to break out of engrained habits, though, it can be tough, since you might have to undo other parts (wrist conditions/face orientation, etc.) of the swing that were compensations.

Interesting - and I'm in the same boat, when I don't do it consciously, I'm not transfering back to the front at end of backswing - and I then rush it / swaying in the downswing - great for compression, awful for low point consistency... that's why I love the 'pressure' on lead foot (adding front knee flex Monte, Rory squat); even on toes ala Wolff stopping the horizontal force that causes swaying and enabling a lead hip pushback by getting pressure on outside of lead foot

• Like 1

It can be overdone or executed badly.

As someone with a narrow stance it's very possible to get too much weight on the outside of the left foot. Shoulder and hips beyond the left foot. Also shoulders can level out when first trying it. 

The older you are the more I find I want to fight left tilt and get rid of it .

37 minutes ago, juststeve said:

I was taught to maintain a fifty fifty weight distribution left foot right foot at address, at the top of the swing and at impact.  As a result  don't need  to concern myself with recentering, I'm centered throughout the swing.

sorry about the font, it means nothing.

Steve

I would love to see if you're doing what you think you're doing, Steve, because that sounds rather lacking in dynamism. 

2 hours ago, juststeve said:

I was taught to maintain a fifty fifty weight distribution left foot right foot at address, at the top of the swing and at impact.  As a result  don't need  to concern myself with recentering, I'm centered throughout the swing.

sorry about the font, it means nothing.

Steve

50/50 at impact is not ideal. 

50/50 at impact is in the nature of an intention  Since we allow are bodies to respond to the motion of the we have more weight on the front foot at impact.  The reason for holding that intention is we don't have to intentionally shift weight that will shift without Any deliberate effort to shift.

Steve.