JT dropped by Ralph Lauren

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...In responsibility to my integrity I've decided to discontinue any thought of doing business with Ralph Lauren at this time...   ...It's my hope that Ralph Lauren will do the necessary ref

PC strikes again. No forgiveness even after you have a heartfelt apology

This isn't them saying they don't forgive him, they even say they're willing to partner with him again.   Language changes over time. Words that were once socially acceptable change as well.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, 976-Evil said:

This isn't them saying they don't forgive him, they even say they're willing to partner with him again.

Language changes over time. Words that were once socially acceptable change as well. This is one of those words and has nothing to do with being "politically correct" or "pc strikes again". If you can't see that, well then, you're part of the problem.

Exactly.  RL did say they were willing to sign JT again if he's willing to put in the work and time to rectify his mistake.  We're all guilty of doing or saying not so flattering things that we later regret.  I'm all about second chances.  I don't condone saying homophobic slurs and hope JT puts in the work to better himself. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

4 hours ago, JRS1939 said:

This is the problem with America.  Instead of standing behind the man that recognized he made a tremendous mistake and helping him grow even more with support, you just dump him.   Makes what Nike did for Tiger during the bottom look even better.

Was Nike trying to help Tiger grow as a person or just trying to grow their bottom line? 

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Actions have consequences. These are things we teach our kids. JT will be better for it. And honestly, cursing yourself by calling yourself a homophobic slur is lame anyway. It just sounds lame. There are a lot of ways to curse at yourself that, even if picked up by a hot mic, won't get you in any hot water, and that most people would probably relate to and laugh at. Hearing a grown man call himself that word is cringeworthy imo.

Edited by One Putter
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, DrivingChamp said:

This why if I had ever been good enough to play at this level i would have bought my own clubs and balls so I could play the best equipment hat suited my game without having to go through all stuff the PR contracted players have to do.

Same with clothing , buy your own, look and feel better and you dont open yourself up to the nonsense that RL are now spouting and you can say what you genuinely feel.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Nicely veiled.  I think every region has flaws we could highlight.  But why ?  What do we gain by doing that ? It’s not as if flawless is an attainable goal. 

There is nothing veiled about it.  Some members have said it's a word they used as kids and it was okay.  Not where I live.  The first three letters were okay when we were in junior high, but not that word.  

6 hours ago, capking said:

I’d be shocked if anyone posting in this thread owns a RL polo

I did until I read this thread but I'm a hoarder. 

Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
Vokey V-Grind 58.1
Taylor Made Spider Mini

i doubt anyone would consider it this year ... doubt JT's gonna try to pick up anything this year ... he's sponsored by several others, but Beat by Dr Dre and citi are the main ones that will probably drop ... the others are a private jet co, woodford reserves (over-rated bourbon, so wouldn't be that big a loss) and fj ... 

I buy all of my golf clothing off of clearance racks or at outlets, so couldn't care less who sponsors whom.  Not at all surprised by this though.  Perhaps RL could have made a statement that they are deeply concerned but are giving JT another chance based on his apology, but that likely wouldn't have gained them more business than they would lose by keeping him.  I played with a guy who uttered the 'n-word' once after he missed a putt.  I told him it wasn't appropriate.  I'm sure that wouldn't have played well on the tour.  Not sure the 'f-word' carries quite the same stigma, but stick to the generic curse words people.

From a quick search, it seems like the aforementioned clothing company has not always managed to get things right.

He made a mistake, then did the right thing. They could have said that they wanted to work with JT to help him learn and improve from this. I would have had more respect for that.

I really enjoy listening to the interviews of guys like JT, Rory and Jordan, its been really refreshing, and so much better than what came before.

I hope he has a great year, and wins a major.

• Like 4

Taylormade M3 9.5 (adjusted to 11) - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Testing - Titleist 818H2 (19) & 816H2 (20) Aldila Rogue Silver & Black X
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

Did he direct the slur at anyone other than himself?  No.  Did he berate anyone or do some drunken online rant?  No.  Was he contrite and give a heart felt apology?  Yes.  Do I think he learned from this ?  Yes.  Who's in the wrong here?  Ralph Lauren.  It's a good thing I don't support them. 

• Like 4

Taylormade SIM2 Hzrdus RDX Blue USA Limited Edition 6.5/ Ping G425 - Hzrdus Blue 6.5
Taylormade sim2 Ti, hzrdus Blue
Taylormade SIM Ti 5 wood hzrdus Yellow 6.5
Callaway UT 24
Taylormade P7MC 4-PW ctaper lite x115
Vokey Raw SM8 Custom 50/54/60

4 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Was Nike trying to help Tiger grow as a person or just trying to grow their bottom line? 

Grow their bottom line

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Mitsubishi Tensi Orange
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue
Callaway Epic 5 Flash wood Mitusbishi Blue Tensi Blue

Pingi25 ZZ65 4-pw

Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s
Titleist SM6F Grind 50*, SM7 M Grind 55* SM6 59* S Grind S-300

God Bless America

It just shows a form of prejudice on his part. The apology is an after thought. 

Baldo Corsa  MRC Tensei Raw White X
Baldo Competzione 15* Graf Old Blue X
Baldo Competzione18*  Graf Old Blue X

Baldo Competzione Hybrid 21* Pro Launch Red X
Crazy Proto 5-PW PXI 7.0
TM TW MG 56/60 S400
Wilson 8802
Pro V1 2021

9 hours ago, Krt22 said:

It really has nothing to do with sensitivity and everything to do with dollars and cents given how easily customers can be won or lost in this day and age.  The marketplace for high end goods is extremely saturated, so many consumers shop with much more than just their wallet. How its made, where its made, the ideals of the company, can all influence consumer trends now. Some folks will quickly boycott a brand that they don't think aligns with their lifestyle or values. With that being said, anything remotely associated with hate speech towards any given marginalized community can mean an immediate revenue hit, which is why these decisions are made swiftly. RL probably won't regret this at all, they likely stood to lose much more revenue from non-golfers than what JT brought in through his endorsements.

The whataboutisms aren't valid in this case, given "bigger" is very subjective and when they were made is extremely relevant. With the massive reach of modern social media, what is deemed acceptable rapidly evolves. If you want to use your likeness to generate revenue in this space, you better evolve just as fast, because in certain cases there is no room for error. When you see people lose their endorsements for similar offenses (ie Scott Piercy), you need to better yourself to the point you don't make the same mistake in the first place. 

Everything you wrote is very valid and I can't argue with any of it. I think RL is probably more tied in to the LGBTQ community than a more athletics specific brand, and I believe a different brand that is more Golf/Sports-specific would have stuck with him and issued a joint apology, but I understand why RL did what they did. I just think JT was sincere in his apology and it was his first offense, so I don't believe his marketability took too bad of a long-term hit, and I'm sure more Golf-specific athletic companies will be blowing up his agent's phone in a few weeks (if they aren't already).

• Like 3

TaylorMade SIM Max D (10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

TaylorMade SIM Max D (16*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 FW

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Project X Hzrdus Black 6.0

Srixon Z U85 (20*) / UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

TaylorMade P770 (4-PW) / Project X Rifle 6.0

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦