2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

JT dropped by Ralph Lauren

DrivingChamp

16 hours ago, boggyman said:

Slip ups or not,he’s always been held high for whatever reason. This day and age it’s not tolerable, plain and simple. Humans are as weak as we’ve ever been. I’m not saying by no means it’s right, but never understood why everyone around golf thinks he’s such a saint?  I’ve witnessed him drop the F bomb on tv before in the rain, on the green and nothing mentioned. Wish him the best in his future  endeavors with sponsors. Maybe this wil be a learning curve! 

Wow, for a minute there, I thought I had time warped into an old Tiger thread.

Thinking back on Tiger, though, reminds me that JT will be just fine.

"Winning takes care of everything."

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

3 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Why should Ralph Lauren have to work anything out with him? They were paying him good money to represent them. If they feel he embarrassed their brand, they have every right to drop him.

Golf is his livelihood, not getting paid to wear clothes. If the Tour tried to drop him, then I’d have an issue.

Like it or not, Thomas has made his own bed here. He has to lie in it and accept the consequences of his words.

Just curious, did you read the statement? They basically told him; “Hey JT, we do a lot of work with the LGBT community and they’re upset at what you said. We’re going to “drop” you for a little while until this story goes away and we’ll bring you back on.” 

This is basically just a suspension. 

2 minutes ago, adeangelis said:

Just curious, did you read the statement? They basically told him; “Hey JT, we do a lot of work with the LGBT community and they’re upset at what you said. We’re going to “drop” you for a little while until this story goes away and we’ll bring you back on.” 

This is basically just a suspension. 

Go back and read it again.

or get back to me when they take him back.

their statement read to me them saying “we had a long relationship, we hope you learn from this. We’re not going to take you back until you show through not just words but “actions” how wrong you were here.”

I could be wrong here, but it seemed to me they were trying hard not to be overly cruel in their words. I doubt very much he’ll ever be back with them.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

15 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Lol

getting a little sensitive aren’t you?

btw he’s not a “kid” he’s a college educated millionaire getting paid to be the face of a publically owned company, and he screwed up that position.

Hence, consequences.

Why should Ralph Lauren have to work anything out with him? They were paying him good money to represent them. If they feel he embarrassed their brand, they have every right to drop him.

Golf is his livelihood, not getting paid to wear clothes. If the Tour tried to drop him, then I’d have an issue.

Like it or not, Thomas has made his own bed here. He has to lie in it and accept the consequences of his words.

Haha. Not sensitive at all. I was just illustrating using his exact verbatim wording. 

But as to the second point—if jT can be claimed under his parents insurance, he is still a kid....

16 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

it sounds like you've lived a reasonably good life and haven't been impacted by systemic discrimination or persecution. nice.

i'm not going to fault you for your ignorance up to this point, but you should really try to open up your eyes to the reality of the world we live in according to the perspectives of other people.

otherwise, why don't you stay out of these kinds of discussions and keep your ignorant comments to yourself? you know, maybe just focus on you and your family in your cozy little bubble?

Again you have no idea what my life has been and what struggles I have overcome.  To call me ignorant based on you having not one idea as to what My life has been about—well is quite ignorant of you. Again, assumptions are seemingly your undoing.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Lol

getting a little sensitive aren’t you?

btw he’s not a “kid” he’s a college educated millionaire getting paid to be the face of a publically owned company, and he screwed up that position.

Hence, consequences.

You should reread my post. I said verbatim that they made a business decision and that they were well within their right to do so.  I’m not debating that, so don’t twist my words. Nor am I supporting what came out of JT’s mouth. He was very wrong to say what he said.  I’m simply stating that RL could have pursued a more thoughtful solution to this situation. Instead they took the easy route and it seems as though we are forced to pick sides. 

You and I clearly have a difference of opinion, and that’s okay. 

• Like 2

Just now, ivygynonc said:

Again you have no idea what my life has been and what struggles I have overcome.  To call me ignorant based on you having not one idea as to what My life has been about—well is quite ignorant of you. Again, assumptions are seemingly your undoing.  

nice try, but your words speak volumes. 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ivygynonc said:

Haha. Not sensitive at all. I was just illustrating using his exact verbatim wording. 

But as to the second point—if jT can be claimed under his parents insurance, he is still a kid....

I know I’m coming off hard on him here, but being a kid? that’s a pass I won’t give him.

He should be smart enough to know better.

Not that it matters, but one of the reasons (besides the word he used) this bothers me so much is he was/is my favorite player to root for. I really like the “kid”, lol.

when he shot that 59, my GF bought me the exact outfit he wore. White RL shirt and bubblegum pink shorts.

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

13 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Go back and read it again.

or get back to me when they take him back.

their statement read to me them saying “we had a long relationship, we hope you learn from this. We’re not going to take you back until you show through not just words but “actions” how wrong you were here.”

I could be wrong here, but it seemed to me they were trying hard not to be overly cruel in their words. I doubt very much he’ll ever be back with them.

“Our hope is that Mr. Thomas does the hard and necessary work in order to partner with us again - truly examining this incident, learning, growing and ultimately using his platform to promote inclusion.” 

I get what you’re saying. However, if he’s making them money and really helping them grow that their Golf line, they’ll bring him back in time. To me, that’s what RL had to say in order to ensure they didn’t anger their much larger customer base. Maybe I’m just a pessimist. 

Edited by adeangelis

Better of saying something that rhymes with “truck” 

whats RL est. worth per year to him 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

To those that say we all slip and say uncontrollable things after a bad shot. I would offer that nearly all of us would be able to control that it in the right circumstances. I admit I have dropped an f bomb well golfing, but only with a few friends (still should not do it).

But the few times I have had a gallery following me - and thus some of the biggest rounds of my life, I have had no problem resisting the urge to say something inappropriate.  Same thing when golfing with juniors, strangers for work etc. It is not that tough to edit your words.

Just ask yourself - if you knew your Mom, Grandma, Nieces, nephews, boss, paster etc. were watching you golf and listening to what you said, would you still be blurting out obscenities or would you be able to control it?

Right.  I’d do the same if mic-Ed up.  I’d clam up and not speak.  

which then begs the question.  Why mic them up ?  If you Aren’t hearing real talk.  Why listen ?  That same white washed version you’d give juniors in your group isn’t real.  Real is 4 buddies and no mics.   That’s whne real happens.  I’m all for real. I don’t care to hear the fake.    And on top of that I’m not for punishing real   personally.  

people need to understand that cussing ones self out is a natural right.   It’s healthy and it’s not wrong.  We’re now  into  coo-coo land where speech against ones set is also outlawed.  Let’s go back to authentic. 

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'll take "1st World Tempests in Teapots" for $1200, Alex (RIP).

JT showed his proverbial rear end, no doubt about that; what comes out of our mouths is a window into the soul. He can say "that's not who I really am" all he wants, but it really is. True of him, true of me, true of all of us. He screwed up, and we all do, but dismissing it by saying "that's not me" is passing on an opportunity for introspection and lasting self improvement. Makes me doubt he's really going to learn anything from this episode at all.

However, the whole "show us with your actions that you are worthy of our sponsorship again" scold is a bit much. If RL thinks they can signal their virtue and Thomas is just going to grovel and beg to renew their agreement, they'll be disappointed. There will be plenty of other hands out to provide JT's threads, and there should be. RL gets to signal their virtue at his expense while JT hopefully learns from his mistake and signs with somebody else; both sides get what they want.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

33 minutes ago, ivygynonc said:

You can clarify...

Do you think what JT said is any less offensive to society as uttering a completely ignorant racial slur?

1 hour ago, PappyVanWinkle53 said:

RL made a business decision to “protect their brand” and they are well within their right to do so.....but it was a gutless move nonetheless. 

Gutless?

He was an abject failure at the (very easy and highly paid) job he was hired to do, and he was fired. 

Google “Justin Thomas” and you’ll find 100 stories with the headline “pro golfer uses homophobic slur” accompanied by a picture of a dude with a Ralph Lauren logo on his shirt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Evolved said:

I hope all of you reading this realize the type of people you're interacting with on this site. You want another "eye opener" go back to the covid threads from last year. A number of people then didn't think the virus was real and nothing more than the flu and now are choosing to down play a homophobic slur.

yep. and ignoring bad behavior frequently encourages more of it.

not saying we should feed the trolls, but at a minimum we should do what's necessary to prevent ignorant and insensitive commentary from finding a welcome home in these forums.

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  My point was your area has some pretty obvious flaws too.  Why make it a regional argument ? 

I heard the word growing up quite a bit.  The whole word.  As the short version is also a cigarette. But it truly didn’t mean what it originally meant.  Was a synonym for “ idiot “ or “ I hate you “.  Type thing.  Not excusing it. I’m just saying that slang language morphs quite often.  And that word hasn’t referenced  a minority group in reality since the 70s.  It’s been brah speak for dumbarse for a long long time now. Why ? Who knows. Do I use it ?  Nope. I try hard not to speak to people in public , the risk reward has tipped way past worth it.  The fragility of our society is at critical mass.  

I didn't make it a regional argument.  I questioned if it was.  Don't take everything you read personally. 

Edited by soregongolfer

24 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

Gutless?

He was an abject failure at the (very easy and highly paid) job he was hired to do, and he was fired. 

Google “Justin Thomas” and you’ll find 100 stories with the headline “pro golfer uses homophobic slur” accompanied by a picture of a dude with a Ralph Lauren logo on his shirt.

As I stated in other posts:

“Gutless because it was the “easy button” solution. Rather than trying work things out with a guy they picked to be an ambassador of the brand, they just cast him away.  It’s easy to just dog pile on someone who has messed up....the more noble approach would have been to seek a solution that could benefit both parties.”

AND

“Nor am I supporting what came out of JT’s mouth. He was very wrong to say what he said.  I’m simply stating that RL could have pursued a more thoughtful solution to this situation. Instead they took the easy route and it seems as though we are forced to pick sides.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PappyVanWinkle53 said:

As I stated in other posts:

“Gutless because it was the “easy button” solution. Rather than trying work things out with a guy they picked to be an ambassador of the brand, they just cast him away.  It’s easy to just dog pile on someone who has messed up....the more noble approach would have been to seek a solution that could benefit both parties.”

AND

“Nor am I supporting what came out of JT’s mouth. He was very wrong to say what he said.  I’m simply stating that RL could have pursued a more thoughtful solution to this situation. Instead they took the easy route and it seems as though we are forced to pick sides.”

I shake my head at the notion that RL did anything wrong here. JT screwed up, big time. He let them down. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, soregongolfer said:

I didn't make it a regional argument.  I questioned if it was.  Do me a favor and stop reading things into what I have said.  What I say is straight forward.  Take it for what it is.  

Thanks for the clarification- I can only read what is written. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, kelpie said:

and we wonder why the players don't want to be mic'd up! Maybe Bryson had something when he complained about the cameras a year or so ago. They have a 5 second delay, yet we still hear F-bombs, etc. I also blame NBC for not doing that. If I were his agent I'd in in the PGA Tour's face for not standing up for him. I don't really want to hear every freaking thing these guys have to say, we've learned a lesson with the special Wednesday events and other celebrity events, the players just aren't that interesting to listen to, especially during tournament conditions. If there were fans we wouldn't have a clue about this. This is going to change a lot of player opinions about mic's in cups, etc. When you've got to be soooo careful. Who hasn't said, "Did you hit that with your purse?" Are women's rights groups going to be pissed off? We all say things to ourselves when we play. I'd love to see JT walk away and grab another clothing sponsor and crap on RL's parade. 

I am surprised Golf doesn't have a delay on audio; I mean how often do we hear the announcers apologizing for language.

• Like 1

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

2 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

I shake my head at the notion that RL did anything wrong here. JT screwed up, big time. He let them down. 

They did perpetuate the cancel culture mentality.  Now if that’s the goal then in their eyes they did nothing wrong.  But if that is an undesirable happening in polite society , then they didn’t do anything to create a new conversation.  You can be that judge same as I can.  

I guess why I agree with pappy  is their “ partnership “ speech.  To me that signifies a certain friendship or care. .  If you drop people because of one indiscretion , which was thoroughly apologized  for  , then I’m afraid you aren’t a really good partner or friend.  Sure. Business is business. I am realist.  Which is why they need to stop lying to begin with all the Partnership nonsense. They weren’t friends.  They were two sides of a contract.  Zero care for each other from either side.  But that would pierce the other lie.   That he was wearing their clothes because he liked them. Lol.  And not for the $.  Lies begat lies which make for odd bedfellows.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock