JT dropped by Ralph Lauren

DrivingChamp

13 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I am surprised Golf doesn't have a delay on audio; I mean how often do we hear the announcers apologizing for language.

Great point.

I actually feel bad for JT. I know some think he should be taken to task for even being the “type of person” to utter that in a moment of anger.

I don’t agree. 

It’s not necessarily the case that JT is bigoted truly just because he said that. 

But, I do see the rationale of RLs decision since the mics did pick it up. 

• Like 1

RL is a worldwide company with a brand to protect

Thomas was a small part of their world who got more press with this incident than non golfers ( and RL consumers )  would ever normally encounter. They really had no upside to defending him

If Justin Thomas falls of the planet today it means nothing to the mass consumer but if RL punches his ticket they probably get more good reaction than keeping him on

Should not be a surprise to anyone

2 hours ago, john myrbch said:

I think you’re missing the point....considering the type of sponsorship we’re talking about, he couldn’t have made a more egregious remark. 

He signed a contract to represent a brand. That brand has every right to disassociate themselves from him when he does or says something that hurts their image.

Add in the fact that it’s a company in the fashion industry where so many of the people who work there would be especially offended by his remark, and his comment is even worse.

Apologies are fine, but the kid doesn’t deserve a pass here, and I think he knows it. The Ralph Lauren company would have come off very badly in their industry if they let this slide.

Eh. I didn't miss the point. It's my opinion this was too fast of a decision. I get what you said about their industry. This possible could have been used as a learning and enlightenment campaign. Bring awareness or something. 

Either way it already has started dialogue about it. That can be a good thing in the end. 

JT will learn from it and both side will go one. 

Who really knows how JT feels about the people he eluded to with his comment to himself under his breath? Obviously he is smart enough to quickly realize the connotations of what someone told him was caught on a mic. That is why he shifted to damage control. He saw $$'s (or a lack thereof) flash before his eyes. He said all the correct things in his apology, however, RL made it clear that to return to them as a client, he would be required to set out on a crusade to champion the gay lifestyle. It will be interesting to see if he decides the sponsorship money is worth the effort or not. If he truly was sincere in his apology and the RL sponsorship means that much to him, he will be that "champion of the cause" that RL expects him to be. 

Personally, I think he should have read the contract more thoroughly and put a note on his Driver headcover.

Edited by Mathwiz
  • Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

46 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

There really isn't a right or wrong with RL did relative to terminating JT's endorsement deal. They made a business decision.  What I find disingenuous is the virtue signaling that they would be willing to work with JT again if he did some kind of remedial actions unspecified.  Either he is worthy of being their brand ambassador or he isn't.  He apparently isn't, even with a sincere apology, so they should leave it at that.

Yeah, that wasn’t necessary. They should have just said the usual “this doesn’t reflect our values, thank you, bye”

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

“Cancel culture” is a vaguely-defined term that usually ends up meaning “I don’t like being held accountable for my actions”.

He wasn’t cancelled. His contract was terminated because he failed to fulfill it. Some first offenses are fireable; this one certainly is.

Sure.  And i agree. I’m fine with them dropping him. Wait and see. They’re doing him a favor. His stock is high right now. Somebody will pay him more.  I’d Bet on it. 

I’d just like to see the truth told from the beginning. “ JT has agreed to our price , to be paid to wear our hideous shirts “.  Lol.  Not the synergistic tripe they parade out about friendship and partnership .... the double standard is my issue.  Not them firing him.  I say good riddance. 

to add - on the cancel culture reference. I said.  Mentality. It surely goes with that ideal. “ utter a no no word and you’re gone “.  Just because he has many sources of income and he didn’t lose them all , doesn’t make it less true.  I’d say the loss of income more than pays for the one word.  So remind us all how he’s not taking responsibility for his one word ?  

I can agree with you that they have every right to fire him , and also think that it was a mistake to do it for the reason they did.  And then add in the “ if you’ll kiss the ring sufficiently we might let you back in “ Especially when forgiveness is a lessen we all could use right now. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

53 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

My 2c

he should be given a pass, he said this in the heat of competition.  The NFL and NHL have the same stuff going on constantly all game long

as Others have said this word was used as a simple insult, .like loser was loosely tossed around, 30 years ago

my regular group of 12 would be in jail for the stuff we say in our money games, and I get we are not sponsored and I’m sure JT and Tiger and other pals are exactly  the same when not on the show and playing for cash

it’s generational as well, my daughters hate the word, 20 and 22.  My dad (81) and I slip up occasionally and call each other big F and little F - as terms of endearment as we used to routinely way back in the day - going back 35 years

we have no malice or intent, and in my opinion neither did JT, that makes a world of difference ... 

the world is off its axis it seems, Political correctness is overused when not needed, and I think as posters above eloquently said, this was used as a convenience for a timely contract exit

I’m going to ignore the majority of your post, but not the end.

That last paragraph makes very little sense. Why and in what world would Ralph Lauren want to terminate a contract with one of the top 5 golfers in the world, unless he did or said something so incredibly stupid he gave them no alternative?

Up until the moment that word came out of his mouth, he was an ideal choice for them. By opening it, he made his own bed.

Stop blaming Ralph Lauren. This is all on Justin Thomas.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

Tough lesson for him to learn but I think he'll better himself in the future. He seems like a genuine person who understands the mistake, although I don't really know how he feels about it, only he does. Sometimes our actions have consequences. This was probably an easy decision for an incredibly huge fashion company highly in tune with the LGBTQ community. It may not have mattered so much to another company he is representing. 

In the end he hasn't been "canceled" as many people are whining about, he simply had a contract terminated for not fulfilling his end of it. It's  business. 

Edited by Skhacker

I think the majority of golfers have said what JT has said, and much worse. I would hate to have my inner thoughts exposed to public ears, I would be embarassed and shamed. What was imcriminating to JT was the time and place he said it. I believe he didn't realize he was being captured by the mic, and would never say it if he were. No holier than thous in this world, forgive and forget is my policy. 

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

The fashion industry is extremely sensitive to LGBTQ issues. It is one of the forbidden fruits. JT incidentally bit the wrong apple that day.
I always thought that RL and JT are such a good fit, since JT does have that college prep boy vibe. 
In the end, RL must do what RL did, and JT probably understood it. 
Both will be alright without each other tho. 

3 hours ago, mwkbmw said:

Wow, for a minute there, I thought I had time warped into an old Tiger thread.

Thinking back on Tiger, though, reminds me that JT will be just fine.

"Winning takes care of everything."

Being a gentleman and respecting the sport and people around you take care of itself! Not being a 🤡

Edited by boggyman

It’s not really a big deal at the end of the day.

Ralph Lauren will go on and JT will probably sign a more lucrative deal with someone else.

The incident will maybe be remembered, just barely, because golf seems kind of gossipy. Players are held to a very high standard and people love to remember any wrong doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

Who really knows how JT feels about the people he eluded to with his comment to himself under his breath? Obviously he is smart enough to quickly realize the connotations of what someone told him was caught on a mic. That is why he shifted to damage control. He saw $$'s (or a lack thereof) flash before his eyes. He said all the correct things in his apology, however, RL made it clear that to return to them as a client, he would be required to set out on a crusade to champion the gay lifestyle. It will be interesting to see if he decides the sponsorship money is worth the effort or not. If he truly was sincere in his apology and the RL sponsorship means that much to him, he will be that "champion of the cause" that RL expects him to be. 

Personally, I think he should have read the contract more thoroughly and put a note on his Driver headcover.

What a load of crap. How does he “champion” the gay lifestyle?That’s a little bone they’re tossing out there to try to appease any golf or JT fans who might be upset with their decision to terminate the contract. Hopefully to not lose any dollars, no matter how few, from that group. I don’t think there is any intention of ever having him back. But make sure the public image is that of a company who  wants to “help”. 

Just my interpretation of the statement. I’m not saying they were wrong to drop him because that is 100% their decision. They have to decide how it might impact their business. I just don’t buy the other part. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

On a personal level, I am a big fan of JT and had bought a lot of RL clothes over the years. I was doing that before JT came on the scene but no doubt his style meant that I bought even more RL stuff. I have a closet full of the stuff. I’ll be picking up other brands from now. RL clearly have no problem in manufacturing their products in counties where LGBTQ individuals are persecuted, clearly “wokeness” has yet to take hold with RL when it comes to where their clothes are made.

How bout Le Tigre?

Remember Le Tigre?!

9A8627D3-E3B2-4C46-B539-8C16E930BE3A.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, adeangelis said:

Just curious, did you read the statement? They basically told him; “Hey JT, we do a lot of work with the LGBT community and they’re upset at what you said. We’re going to “drop” you for a little while until this story goes away and we’ll bring you back on.” 

This is basically just a suspension. 

they're are not going to resign jt ... ever ... they're trying to be diplomatic ... 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CasualLie said:

Well...I wouldn’t have dropped JT, but sometimes in life you best learn a lesson when it costs you big money.

JT is super talented, but a bit immature.  So let’s hope this is the turning point.  

I’m still a JT and RLX fan.

and I’m sure you’ve never thrown a club, pretended to blast a tee marker, or called yourself a ____ idiot after a swing.

Edited by mlwenzlick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

i grew up in the 80's and will occasionally hear it whilst re-watching movies from my childhood. it's easy to forget how prevalent its usage was. e.g. recently heard it in one of the old "bill and ted" movies. and as a kid from california i can confirm the word was used very frequently as an insult among boys. south park even had an episode about its overuse.

fortunately, a lot has changed in the past 30+ years.

It's all over a lot of 90s movies as well. You hear a girl yell it from the crowd at the now dethroned dbag ex at the end of Encino Man when he gets embarrassed at the dance. Many comedians used it regularly in what many still regard as top tier comedy sets even in the early 2000s. Times have certainly changed and the onus is on anyone in the public eye to know that and adjust accordingly.

Used to be a common insult/slur, but how it was viewed was very different.