Ping g425 vs TSi2/3 woods - who wins

I currently have the tsi2 3 wood with the av raw blue x.  Im waiting on the TX to be available.

I started seeing reviews for g425 3 wood and it peaked my interest to help with spin on lower strikes.  I also play ping driver and have been very satisfied.

I'll see if the pgatoursuperstore.com has them to hit so I can compare.  I can trade the tsi2 in for the 425 at no cost.  My only concern is that it looks like the rogue white and av raw orange are both made for shafts.  For Titleist I can get the TX av raw blue at no upcharge. 

I'll post my comparison later today, but what do others think that have hit both.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are not made for shafts. There is only one Rogue White 130 MSI and on Tensei Pro Orange AV Raw. Good gravy, @Nick_E you posted a Twitter response from MCA on this very question 13 hours ago! Look

I believe ping lists cut weight and now raw. My guess that is the difference.

If you look at torque and weights they are different so I suspect made for ping.  I don't understand how the companies do this.  If its different grade material then call it out.  Similar to small bat

Posted Images

I have always played Titleist fairway woods. But I now have a 410 3W and I just ordered 425 5W and 7W. The 410 is solid but pretty high launch/spin. Part of me wants to re-purchase a TS3 3W as more of my second tee option -- that head was a rocket -- and keep the 425s as true fairway woods.

Ping G425 Max Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 Max 5w/9w Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 Hmb 4 Ventus Blue HB

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-Pw Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 DG Tour Issue S400

Lab B2 | Titleist Pro V1 #68 | Golf Pride CP2

10 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I hit the g425 max 3 wood today with av orange.  Although the feel was really solid and was very forgiving it couldn't beat out my tsi2 with av raw blue.  Both are solid clubs but not worth changing.  I do think the av raw blue shaft gives Titleist more advantage.

The Pings are nice.. but my TSi3 3 wood is not going to leave the bag.. I really like it..but might experiment with a few more shafts for it...

Edited by FOOTJOY16

Titleist TSi3 8.0 Smoke Blue RDX  60TX
Titleist TSi3 13.5 Ventus Red 7x
Mizuno MP20mb 4-pw Project X LZ
Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

On 1/16/2021 at 6:00 AM, Nick_E said:

My only concern is that it looks like the rogue white and av raw orange are both made for shafts. 

Is this true? 

CALLAWAY EPIC MAX LS 10.5  - PX IM 10 50

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH TC 15.0  - Tour AD TP 7
COBRA RADSPEED 19 - MMT 80

SRIXON ZX5/ZX7 - 4-PW - Project X IO 6.0 

VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50F / 54F / 58L- Hi Rev 2.0 / SCOTTY CAMERON Special Select Newport 33.5

3 minutes ago, mtex22 said:

Is this true? 

If you look at torque and weights they are different so I suspect made for ping.  I don't understand how the companies do this.  If its different grade material then call it out.  Similar to small batch with project x, or Velocore with ventus.  At least you know what you're getting.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

They are not made for shafts. There is only one Rogue White 130 MSI and on Tensei Pro Orange AV Raw. Good gravy, @Nick_E you posted a Twitter response from MCA on this very question 13 hours ago! Look at the last comment from Mitsubishi Chemical Aldila.

9C62A036-DAAC-4948-BCF3-5AAA62E4552B.png

Agreed on the shafts being real deal in both. AV series reminds me of the D+ series the oems use to use. It is a new version of the pro series without the premium materials that was specifically made to a stock option. 

16 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

They are not made for shafts. There is only one Rogue White 130 MSI and on Tensei Pro Orange AV Raw. Good gravy, @Nick_E you posted a Twitter response from MCA on this very question 13 hours ago! Look at the last comment from Mitsubishi Chemical Aldila.

9C62A036-DAAC-4948-BCF3-5AAA62E4552B.png

Did you see my comment about weight not being the same for Ping?  They match with Titleist.  My MCA post was about Titleist, I can't say why Ping are different.  Either way they are different for Ping.  They may be same material but they are not the same aftermarket shafts.    See for yourself.  I was just stating the obvious.  Appreciate if you do your homework before you call someone out.

Weights listed

Ping av raw orange 65 - 61, 64, 66

MCA av raw orange - 66, 69, 70

Ping image

20210118_151252.jpg.ac105ebfd9eda5e54c47d46f75f3e96c.jpg

MCA

Screenshot_20210118-150548_Chrome.jpg.180aab206d3e393b5c5b8b664719b565.jpg

Edited by Nick_E
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Did you see my comment about weight not being the same for Ping?  They match with Titleist.  My MCA post was about Titleist, I can't say why Ping are different.  Either way they are different for Ping.  They may be same material but they are not the same aftermarket shafts.    See for yourself.  I was just stating the obvious.  Appreciate if you do your homework before you call someone out.

Weights listed

Ping av raw orange 65 - 61, 64, 66

MCA av raw orange - 66, 69, 70

Ping image

20210118_151252.jpg.ac105ebfd9eda5e54c47d46f75f3e96c.jpg

MCA

Screenshot_20210118-150548_Chrome.jpg.180aab206d3e393b5c5b8b664719b565.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Here are the Titleist specs on the TSi2 3 wood, and the matching specs on av raw blue.  Note weights and torque match.

Titleist

20210118_153140.jpg.631e9be4de1e6f0057b1e60ae3929fe2.jpg

MCA

20210118_152903.jpg.e076424c9c22842cbd42837f723dd933.jpg

I read your posts and it doesn’t matter which OEM you are quoting specs from. MCA said that they do not make watered down shafts for OEM’s. This means Ping’s measurements are different for some reason (or flat out wrong) not that the shafts are different. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 70S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 23° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 80 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft X

17 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

I read your posts and it doesn’t matter which OEM you are quoting specs from. MCA said that they do not make watered down shafts for OEM’s. This means Ping’s measurements are different for some reason (or flat out wrong) not that the shafts are different. 

Yes you're correct.  I'll get my tx from Titleist.   Moving along

2 minutes ago, buckI said:

Watched a TXG video on the 425 release they were testing and Ian Fraser said the shafts are the real deal.    

I'll admit when I'm wrong.  Its happened once or twice before.   I was thrown off on the weights.  Neither offer tx for driver but Titleist does offer tx for 3 wood at no upcharge 

• Like 1

I decided to order the Ping G425 fairways and hybrid over the TSi. From all the reviews it just seems the Pings are perfect looking with the matte black. Seem to be just a couple yards shorter than TSi but better disperson. I have the TSi3 Driver, so I guess if I cant handle the ping sound Ill just sell and get the titleist... 

Edited by realmfg
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Sure Zone.  Appreciate your useless comments.   

If you’re analyzing torque and sending out tweets, you have no clue what you are even looking at.

The OEM’s have actually added torque with better materials to improve feel and performance.

The days of trying to figure it out based on torque are over.

Edited by J-Zone
9 minutes ago, J-Zone said:

If you’re analyzing torque and sending out tweets, you have no clue what you are even looking at.

The fact that you questioned AV Raw and Rogue White from Ping as made-for, as well as weight differences, pretty much sums up my prior statement.

The OEM’s have actually added torque with better materials, to improve feel and performance. The days of trying to figure it out based on torque are over.

Take it fwiw, but maybe talk to a reputable builder or work in a shop...

The OEMs have actually added torque with better materials.  Hahaha ha. Better materials 

That might be the dumbest thing I ever heard.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, J-Zone said:

The fact that you questioned AV Raw and Rogue White from Ping as made-for, as well as weight differences, pretty much sums up my prior statement.

The OEM’s have actually added torque with better materials, to improve feel and performance. The days of trying to figure it out based on torque are over.

Take it fwiw, but maybe talk to a reputable builder or work in a shop...

Taking high road

Zone knows all

Edited by Nick_E
1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

The OEMs have actually added torque with better materials.  Hahaha ha. Better materials 

That might be the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Adding better/premium materials has allowed them in certain instances to increase traditional torque ratings and add feel and a smoothness to shaft profiles, especially if you look specifically at the X vs TX in the AV raw shafts you mentioned.

Edited by J-Zone
  • Haha 1

For those interested i thought you might want to hear from Jonathan Wall, not me or Zone.  Determine for yourself if manufacturers are increasing torque by using expensive materials.  This is from June 2020.

There’s a reason why low torque shafts tend to carry a hefty price tag.

“As you go up in grade of material, which is actually going up in stiffness and strength of the material, you essentially double the cost of the material for every step you take up,” said designer John Oldenburg. “You can take four, five or six steps up the ladder, but the consumer can’t see it. We have to be able to explain it to the consumer, the type of material. Just calling it graphite kinda is an injustice to the product.”

The lower the torque number — it’s measured in degrees — the more resistant the shaft is to unwanted twisting. For someone like Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy, who generate top-end speed with the driver, having an uber-stable shaft with low torque ensures they can go after the ball and not have to worry about speed affecting launch angle, spin rate and dispersion.

Edited by Nick_E
3 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

For those interested i thought you might want to hear from Jonathan Wall, not me or Zone.  Determine for yourself if manufacturers are increasing torque by using expensive materials.  This is from June 2020.

There’s a reason why low torque shafts tend to carry a hefty price tag.

“As you go up in grade of material, which is actually going up in stiffness and strength of the material, you essentially double the cost of the material for every step you take up,” said designer John Oldenburg. “You can take four, five or six steps up the ladder, but the consumer can’t see it. We have to be able to explain it to the consumer, the type of material. Just calling it graphite kinda is an injustice to the product.”

The lower the torque number — it’s measured in degrees — the more resistant the shaft is to unwanted twisting. For someone like Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy, who generate top-end speed with the driver, having an uber-stable shaft with low torque ensures they can go after the ball and not have to worry about speed affecting launch angle, spin rate and dispersion.

Yup. Fair point. I know “shafted’s” material quite well. I also understand torque, and the association to overall feel and stiffness. All my point is that I know plenty of stiff shafts that don’t have what’s considered traditional low torque, with TX and plus 3.5 values.

If you want to quote others, then why don’t you also figure out why an MCA shaft like the Raw White TX is 15% higher torque than its X flex in the same weight class, and the blue higher as well?

Let me know your thoughts....

7 minutes ago, J-Zone said:

Yup. Fair point. I know “shafted’s” material quite well. I also understand torque, and the association to overall feel and stiffness. All my point is that I know plenty of stiff shafts that don’t have what’s considered traditional low torque, with TX and plus 3.5 values.

If you want to quote others, then why don’t you also figure out why an MCA shaft like the Raw White TX is 15% higher torque than its X flex in the same weight class, and the blue higher as well?

Let me know your thoughts....

TX is traditionally lower torque than X.  Just as X is lower than S, and S lower than R.  That's common practice among all manufacturers.

New TX for white is actually lower or same as X.  Prototype 2 TX.

22 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

TX is traditionally lower torque than X.  Just as X is lower than S, and S lower than R.  That's common practice among all manufacturers.

New TX for white is actually lower or same as X.  Prototype 2 TX.

No - I think you missed that. The Raw White is 15% more torque in TX vs X and Blue is also higher in TX vs X....

Edited by J-Zone