Rethinking my thought process on setting club MOI

So I think my thought process previously matches many others...usually falling somewhere around the 7-8 iron. 

Constantly tinkering and on/off testing like many here, it’s been a whole 6-8 months since the last time I really tested my iron setup. That, and my moi spread across my whole bag has always made me question it a little bit. Irons were 2680-2705 and my driver, is all the way up at 2912. Decided to test two clubs independently this time...normal 8 iron but also my 5.  Kind of surprised with the results to be honest. Just to create more confusion, I ended up with two different MOI numbers when comparing impact consistency, and they were 100 points off.  2680 8 iron and 2770 for the 5 iron.  Not 100% night and day as my 8 iron impact got a little more spread with the 8, but also moved towards the middle. Divots also got a bit steeper, but the impact went a little higher on the face. 5 iron stayed a shade heel side, but you can see how much the face dispersion dropped.  Testing was 6 balls with each test.  Long story short, the results were enough to cause me to move to the higher MOI as the long iron consistency is going to pay more dividends than me missing the 8 iron possibly a bit more.  Was interesting test for me and it may have changed how I go about testing going forward. Just when you think you have it kinda figured out...

5B0B4274-C9D9-418E-AE4D-837A6E5F07BE.jpeg

ED6170F2-1E45-40DA-9EF3-1DFAD408D444.jpeg

3CB90216-3588-4757-B2A7-F55519842142.jpeg

F3045943-CBF0-4459-BC0B-7E2F96C0DBA9.jpeg

Edited by Golfrnut
Reoriented pictures
  • Like 2

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I think my thought process previously matches many others...usually falling somewhere around the 7-8 iron.  Constantly tinkering and on/off testing like many here, it’s been a whole 6-8 months

Similar to a swing-weight slope by dialing in your 5i and 8i with lead tape, then measuring their SW, then interpolating the other clubs, could you do the same with an MOI slope ?   You now have your

Maybe you’ve stumbled upon a new build theory, MOI slope. Are you using constant weight shafts? With amt shafts we’ve heard about a MBI matched set. As I understand it’s impossible to build a MBI set

Posted Images

Similar to a swing-weight slope by dialing in your 5i and 8i with lead tape, then measuring their SW, then interpolating the other clubs, could you do the same with an MOI slope ?   You now have your ideal 5i and 8i MOI numbers -> "draw the MOI line" and build the rest ?

I recently was able to borrow an Auditor MOI device from a local club-builder for a few weeks, and it certainly offered food for thought as I measured my current SW-built MOI builds, did a new build with AMT shafts, and rebuilt 2 sets of my gamers via the Auditor instead of my usual progressive swing-weights.

• Like 1

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS

Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65

Titleist TS2 16.5 with Accra Tour Z x275

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw

Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw

Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

20 minutes ago, ARL67 said:

Similar to a swing-weight slope by dialing in your 5i and 8i with lead tape, then measuring their SW, then interpolating the other clubs, could you do the same with an MOI slope ?   You now have your ideal 5i and 8i MOI numbers -> "draw the MOI line" and build the rest ?

I recently was able to borrow an Auditor MOI device from a local club-builder for a few weeks, and it certainly offered food for thought as I measured my current SW-built MOI builds, did a new build with AMT shafts, and rebuilt 2 sets of my gamers via the Auditor instead of my usual progressive swing-weights.

That thought crossed my mind too. Like I say, wasn’t all negative with the 8 iron as my vert strike has seeming moved up a bit for whatever reason, and that was a positive as thin is a common miss for me in the short irons. Mentally, it’s weird, playing clubs at D6-D7...but seems to be a good thing thus far. 

My 52/58 are still on the old numbers, and I am interested to see what happens with them if I move up 100 points as well. I tend to get really heel side and the occasional shank can happen on the range when I’m beating balls with the 52 on full swings. My own swing issues are for sure a contributer, but wondering if the changes can help. 

Odyssey MXM 1W

Maybe you’ve stumbled upon a new build theory, MOI slope. Are you using constant weight shafts? With amt shafts we’ve heard about a MBI matched set. As I understand it’s impossible to build a MBI set with constant weight shafts so maybe you slope the MOI. There have been grumblings about a perfect MOI build not feeling right iirc.

• Like 1

When I did a recent build with AMT White shafts and the Auditor MOI device, they swing weighted 0.1. SWP per club, vs the “expected” 0.5 SWP with a Constant Weight shaft ( 3/8” increments ).  

For those of us with the equipment and desire to do so, we can indeed fit/build for every one of our clubs for SW or MOI per club. The end results may not be a linear slope, but as I like to say: “ I never argue with success “

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, biffstix said:

Maybe you’ve stumbled upon a new build theory, MOI slope. Are you using constant weight shafts? With amt shafts we’ve heard about a MBI matched set. As I understand it’s impossible to build a MBI set with constant weight shafts so maybe you slope the MOI. There have been grumblings about a perfect MOI build not feeling right iirc.

So I tried matching a number of years ago with CW shafts.  I wasn't it's biggest fan at the time.  The SW progression just felt weird, waggling the different clubs felt odd, etc.  With that being said, I never ended up at the SWs I am now.  Maybe if my lowest iron was still in the D3+ range I would have felt differently?  I dunno.  Past is the past I guess.  I was also in a different set of shafts weights, etc, so that could just be the issue too.  Maybe I was too far off to make it work.

AMTs have worked well for me.  I moved to i95s years ago due to back issues and really though the AMTs were going to be too much.  They don't effect me as much as I thought they would.  I swung a S300 4 iron a while back before reshafting, that was too much, so I think I'm pretty close to my limit.

Maybe there is something to be said about not necessarily taking the easier club to test and working off that..but maybe take the most difficult club you have to hit and seeing how good you can make it?  I dunno...I can see that being a difficult path for some too.  Perhaps I just got lucky?  Maybe.  I'll see as time goes by if things stay the way they are.  Three months from now I could be back here saying it was the worst idea ever.  Ha!

Edited by Golfrnut

Odyssey MXM 1W

36 minutes ago, ARL67 said:

When I did a recent build with AMT White shafts and the Auditor MOI device, they swing weighted 0.1. SWP per club, vs the “expected” 0.5 SWP with a Constant Weight shaft ( 3/8” increments ).  

For those of us with the equipment and desire to do so, we can indeed fit/build for every one of our clubs for SW or MOI per club. The end results may not be a linear slope, but as I like to say: “ I never argue with success “

To an extent, that's the way I'm trying to look at it.  Trying to reverse engineer why it works the way it does just ends up being a detriment and a long line of second-guessing and getting in your own head.

Edited by Golfrnut

Odyssey MXM 1W

Golfrnut, what is your typical score or cap ?

I now usually shoot mid to high 70s, though I do get on some streaks of low 70s, and finally shot Par a few times last year.   It was a long journey to get there.  I just turned 54, and got serious about golf at 40.

The gist of the above is this:  if you are a better player, IMO you can score with most any set, within reason.  My 3 sets of Mizunos ( 2x MP-18 MMC, and MP-4 ) have different shafts ( weight, flex ) but are all shorter builds and MOI matched.  My scores are all about the same, no set is a standout over the other 2, other than in the looks department ( MP-4 all the way ).  Give me any set that is a shorter build, and some sort of progressive swing-weights, and I'm sure I will score well with them soon enough.

So it makes me think all this navel gazing about chasing the perfect set, is really over-rated.   I'm no golf natural and worked hard to get where I am with the talent I have.  I've probably reached the wall of my scoring, though I think I can chisel away to one  level better -> shooting consistent low-mid 70s and more Par rounds.  This will come with a few less mistakes, and an extra birdie per round.   I think I have the ability to get my cap down to 3-4 and feel that is the best I can get with what I got.  Equipment can only get one so far, and hard work is no match for talent.

I'll probably end up buying an Auditor MOI device to round out my home golf-shop.  Though my own several progressive-SW builds measured excellent / tight via the Auditor that I borrowed, I'd still rather build / trust to an MOI number using the Auditor vs my SW scale.  I'm a math-guy and would sleep better at night knowing my build numbers were as tight as could be.

That said, even though I'm a math-guy, feel is still number one.  If the club math is right, but the club feel is wrong, than it's wrong and we need to explore what will make that club "right" in our hands.  Going back to the first post, and fitting for the 8i and 5i, makes me think I should forget all this club math and go full on old-school Bernhard Langer -> one by one, just lather each of my club heads in lead tape until they feel and perform the way I want.  😉

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ARL67 said:

I now usually shoot mid to high 70s, though I do get on some streaks of low 70s, and finally shot Par a few times last year.   It was a long journey to get there.  I just turned 54, and got serious about golf at 40.

The gist of the above is this:  if you are a better player, IMO you can score with most any set, within reason.  My 3 sets of Mizunos ( 2x MP-18 MMC, and MP-4 ) have different shafts ( weight, flex ) but are all shorter builds and MOI matched.  My scores are all about the same, no set is a standout over the other 2, other than in the looks department ( MP-4 all the way ).  Give me any set that is a shorter build, and some sort of progressive swing-weights, and I'm sure I will score well with them soon enough.

So it makes me think all this navel gazing about chasing the perfect set, is really over-rated.   I'm no golf natural and worked hard to get where I am with the talent I have.  I've probably reached the wall of my scoring, though I think I can chisel away to one  level better -> shooting consistent low-mid 70s and more Par rounds.  This will come with a few less mistakes, and an extra birdie per round.   I think I have the ability to get my cap down to 3-4 and feel that is the best I can get with what I got.  Equipment can only get one so far, and hard work is no match for talent.

I'll probably end up buying an Auditor MOI device to round out my home golf-shop.  Though my own several progressive-SW builds measured excellent / tight via the Auditor that I borrowed, I'd still rather build / trust to an MOI number using the Auditor vs my SW scale.  I'm a math-guy and would sleep better at night knowing my build numbers were as tight as could be.

That said, even though I'm a math-guy, feel is still number one.  If the club math is right, but the club feel is wrong, than it's wrong and we need to explore what will make that club "right" in our hands.  Going back to the first post, and fitting for the 8i and 5i, makes me think I should forget all this club math and go full on old-school Bernhard Langer -> one by one, just lather each of my club heads in lead tape until they feel and perform the way I want.  😉

I gotta agree.  As a technical guy it's hard to let go of trying to get the numbers look "right" - MOI match, SW progression, MBI, or even an MOI progression like being discussed here.  Golf has a weird relationship between feel vs real, and I think you can add numbers to that mix.  Nowadays I try to go that old school route - to go by feel and just record weights, balance points, and SWs as data collection instead of trying to tweak to get the numbers right.  That was after a failed attempt to SW match at 3/8" progression and an attempt to play wedges at higher SWs with a ton on lead tape.

For me the data helps if I introduce a single new club, pointing me to how much I should play with lead tape.  But for the iron set and top end clubs as groups, my current numbers "match" pretty poorly on paper!  Little story on how I've tinkered on clubs for my wife that doesn't make sense on paper.....  Her original clubs had light ladies shafts and ladies grips, because at her size and swingspeed that's what the industry said and we didn't know any better.  Found she preferred heavier clubs, so changed to heavier shafts.  Found she had problems gripping due to wrist issues, tried a couple big arthritic grips that worked great for her swing, so changed to those.  To this date the best I've seen her swing and hit is with a blade gap wedge with S400 that I took out of my bag and is now in hers, and she's teed some nice bullets with a blade 3 iron with X100.... sigh.

Sorry to divert, back to OP.  Your testing is sound figuring out what's giving the best overall strikes.  I have some MOI thoughts that I might put together in a post.  Basically I think the feel is just different especially with non single-length clubs because the MOI match is only around the axis at the butt end of the grip parallel to the clubface.  In reality the swing is not just the wrist hinge around impact (where it may be closest in the swing sequence to an Auditor setup); the club travels in 3D space in rotation around who-knows-how-many axes, elliptical motion, and in translation.  In short it's just different from club to club at different lengths and weights.  Luckily we're pretty darn adaptable beings 🤖

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

You know what's funny ?

Having an MOI-sloped build is almost like saying let's make all clubs D2 again, as that's what the SW scale measurements would trend towards.  🤣  

9 hours ago, ARL67 said:

I don’t keep a CAP, but I would guess I still around a 10. Same place I have been for the last 15 years. And completely agree. I have no thoughts of ever finding the ‘perfect’ setup. I’ve shot the same scores with multiple sets through the years.  The adventure is always more to mitigate the big misses we all face. A little more faith in what you are swinging never hurts. Swinging your swing with maybe a few less bad thoughts lingering in your head. 

Odyssey MXM 1W

5 hours ago, joostin said:Sorry to divert, back to OP.  Your testing is sound figuring out what's giving the best overall strikes.  I have some MOI thoughts that I might put together in a post.  Basically I think the feel is just different especially with non single-length clubs because the MOI match is only around the axis at the butt end of the grip parallel to the clubface.  In reality the swing is not just the wrist hinge around impact (where it may be closest in the swing sequence to an Auditor setup); the club travels in 3D space in rotation around who-knows-how-many axes, elliptical motion, and in translation.  In short it's just different from club to club at different lengths and weights.  Luckily we're pretty darn adaptable beings 🤖

Yeah, I mean, it would be great if there was some science behind what is tight and what is wrong...but there really isn’t. All in the pursuit to see what works.  No different than testing clubs, shafts, etc. 

I’m always in the camp of the more you can test out different things, the more stuff you can just pack away knowing what works and what doesn’t. I’ve always been one of those people that has played the ‘what if...’ game. Never try it...you never know. 

Odyssey MXM 1W

4 hours ago, ARL67 said:

You know what's funny ?

Having an MOI-sloped build is almost like saying let's make all clubs D2 again, as that's what the SW scale measurements would trend towards.  🤣  

Yep, and look how long the SW matching idea has been used. The disparity being even bigger if we were all still using P tip blanks. People were still good then too. 

Odyssey MXM 1W

MOI is an idea.  It’s not the Fourth Law of Thermodynamics.  So, it might work.  Or not.

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini
54 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

MOI is an idea.  It’s not the Fourth Law of Thermodynamics.  So, it might work.  Or not.

fo sho

Odyssey MXM 1W

22 hours ago, ARL67 said:

You know what's funny ?

True dat' - and I believe the MP4s are the most beautiful irons I have ever had the experience of owning and hitting badly 🙂

As I've been following these threads, both here and at TGN, and I did some building  - I confess I have some very basic questions - so please forgive me in advance:

1) MOI is MOI? meaning same MOI between two clubs EXACTLY means what?

2) Seems like there are a number of levers to get to MOI - Swingweight, length, component weights, extra weights, grip selection - from 1) above how do the levers differ on their effectiveness, or if 1) above it true then chasing MOI is easier

The reason I ask is that I found my sample build to be a hunt and chase exercise - for example, had two clubs (4/5 irons) that produced a conundrum in that I needed to counter weight them to a much higher level that I expected to get to MOI and swingweight that seemed to make sense.  I also ended up with a higher over SW than I expected - for example, my normal gamer set - Ping i210s with Aeroflex i95 shafts and GP Plus 4 velvet midsized grips - weighs in at D0 and quite uniformly so.  My PXG experiment (4/5 irons 0311XF, 6-GM 0311P) ended up coming at a happy medium of D3 SW - in this example, the MOIs were around +/- .7%.  So met a nice MOI place but at the (simple/easy) expense of three extra swing points.  Sadly the local lockdown gave me no chance to hit the experiment set in any meaningful manner, but my spider sense says D3 will play out too heavy for me.

So not sure if this makes sense at all, and I admit I took a simplistic cavalier approach to the MOI matching concept, but the array of variables got confusing for me and the magic outcome becomes unclear for me.

Fascinating discussion though and thanks @ARL67 for your help across the forums.

1 hour ago, taskerc said:

True dat' - and I believe the MP4s are the most beautiful irons I have ever had the experience of owning and hitting badly 🙂

As I've been following these threads, both here and at TGN, and I did some building  - I confess I have some very basic questions - so please forgive me in advance:

2) Seems like there are a number of levers to get to MOI - Swingweight, length, component weights, extra weights, grip selection - from 1) above how do the levers differ on their effectiveness, or if 1) above it true then chasing MOI is easier

The reason I ask is that I found my sample build to be a hunt and chase exercise - for example, had two clubs (4/5 irons) that produced a conundrum in that I needed to counter weight them to a much higher level that I expected to get to MOI and swingweight that seemed to make sense.  I also ended up with a higher over SW than I expected - for example, my normal gamer set - Ping i210s with Aeroflex i95 shafts and GP Plus 4 velvet midsized grips - weighs in at D0 and quite uniformly so.  My PXG experiment (4/5 irons 0311XF, 6-GM 0311P) ended up coming at a happy medium of D3 SW - in this example, the MOIs were around +/- .7%.  So met a nice MOI place but at the (simple/easy) expense of three extra swing points.  Sadly the local lockdown gave me no chance to hit the experiment set in any meaningful manner, but my spider sense says D3 will play out too heavy for me.

So not sure if this makes sense at all, and I admit I took a simplistic cavalier approach to the MOI matching concept, but the array of variables got confusing for me and the magic outcome becomes unclear for me.

Fascinating discussion though and thanks @ARL67 for your help across the forums.

The simple answer is that MOI match in this approach means that the clubs all have the same resistance to movement, or feel of effort to swing, at the pivot point of the end of the grip.  The swing weight scale is an MOI match of the same kind of feel at a pivot point 14 inches from the end of the grip.  There’s really no reason that the end of the grip is a better point to take the measurements.
So,you can MOI match from a point of your choosing.  They’ve chosen the end of the club.   Where is the pivot point of the swing?  You tell me. 🙃

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I recall Howard mentioned last week that maybe the pivot point is more realistically 4" from the butt ( between your 2 hands when gripped ).  I would think the butt ( 0" inches ) is a better assumed pivot point than a 14" fulcrum.   Regardless, both methods allow us to build a set of clubs with some sort of Constant or Sloped, SW or MOI, progression.  Hey, whatever works for each of us, and with the tools we have at hand to help us assemble. 

The manual for the Auditor, Page 7, gives some idea of the considerable "considerations" 😉

http://www.golfworkshop.com.cn/flv/moi.pdf

image.png

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

@taskerc   before doing a whole set, I'd suggest only do 2 clubs ( 8i and 5i ) to start with and see how you make out with the end result .  When experimenting, there is no point doing all that work only to tear them all down if too heavy / light.

Because I am very familiar with the feel of my Steelfibers and Mizuno heads,  I know I like my 8i at E1.0 or E1.5 ungripped.  If I had some other unfamiliar head and shaft combo, I would just test-assemble 2 clubs and adjust with lead tape until I dialed in what worked. Then I'd go measure it, and wouldn't be concerned how would it differed from my usual E1.0 or E1.5.   On my last build, I started with building my 8i using the SW scale to E1.5, then measured it with the Auditor to get the MOI, then built the rest of the set to that MOI with the Auditor.

Adding counter-weight fools the SW scale and will get you to your SW number, but at the expense of total weight.  Better to drill out the hosels to reduce head weight, which is a bit of work and nuisance.  I use a series of 3 bits, with the largest bit just smaller than the hosel bore so has not to affect insertion depth.  The more one does this stuff, the better one gets at it, and the better realization of the feel / build parameters that works for each of us.   👍

Edited by ARL67

3 hours ago, taskerc said:

I'm actually pretty surprised you ended up at D3 with i95s and no tip weights?  Overlength?  When I was playing them, I usually had to max out tip weighting to get that high and sometimes still couldn't.

Like in my above posts, I think you kind of have to put SW to the side if you try to MOI match so you don't get TOO caught up in it.  If it ends up feeling heavy, then it probably is too heavy though.  The counterweighting should be treated separately as a way to add heft weight in the hands, not to change the scale number.

Odyssey MXM 1W

6 hours ago, ARL67 said:

I recall Howard mentioned last week that maybe the pivot point is more realistically 4" from the butt ( between your 2 hands when gripped ).  I would think the butt ( 0" inches ) is a better assumed pivot point than a 14" fulcrum.   Regardless, both methods allow us to build a set of clubs with some sort of Constant or Sloped, SW or MOI, progression.  Hey, whatever works for each of us, and with the tools we have at hand to help us assemble. 

The manual for the Auditor, Page 7, gives some idea of the considerable "considerations" 😉

http://www.golfworkshop.com.cn/flv/moi.pdf

image.png

Whoa @ARL67- now that’s a relationship diagram - thank you 😊😊

6 hours ago, ARL67 said:

@taskerc   before doing a whole set, I'd suggest only do 2 clubs ( 8i and 5i ) to start with and see how you make out with the end result .  When experimenting, there is no point doing all that work only to tear them all down if too heavy / light.

Because I am very familiar with the feel of my Steelfibers and Mizuno heads,  I know I like my 8i at E1.0 or E1.5 ungripped.  If I had some other unfamiliar head and shaft combo, I would just test-assemble 2 clubs and adjust with lead tape until I dialed in what worked. Then I'd go measure it, and wouldn't be concerned how would it differed from my usual E1.0 or E1.5.   On my last build, I started with building my 8i using the SW scale to E1.5, then measured it with the Auditor to get the MOI, then built the rest of the set to that MOI with the Auditor.

Adding counter-weight fools the SW scale and will get you to your SW number, but at the expense of total weight.  Better to drill out the hosels to reduce head weight, which is a bit of work and nuisance.  I use a series of 3 bits, with the largest bit just smaller than the hosel bore so has not to affect insertion depth.  The more one does this stuff, the better one gets at it, and the better realization of the feel / build parameters that works for each of us.   👍

@ARL67I was going to start with two clubs but with the lockdown reality here in GTA I decided to go through the process to understand the work flow and variables. It’s was fun if not totally fulfilling in this iteration. Luckily I’m good at removing graphite shafts and old epoxy  😂😂