2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

A very WRX problem! Apex or z765

beaney

I need help!!!

I was the proud owner of a set of srixon z765 irons, which I loved and hit very well. 

Everything changed when I had a bad shoulder/nerve injury, which meant no golf for a year and a half. I finally had the all clear from physio to start hitting a few balls around Christmas, and being a WRX ho, I decided that it would be a good idea to get something that will help the shoulder (graphite), bridge any lost distance and give a bit of forgiveness, as I’m sure that although I was playing off scratch, that won’t be the case now!. 

so I sold the srixon and picked up a brand new set of callaway apex cf16 with recoil f4, from callaway preowned. 

I managed two very small range sessions with the callaways (and nothing more than a 7 iron to ease in the shoulder), before we went into lockdown (in the uk and it’s going to last at least another month). The clubs felt great, and the swing was surprisingly ok too. 

my dilemma is that (again in true wrx form) I’ve been reading about the apex’s and seen a few reports of crazy distance and fliers, and now wondering if I’ve done the right thing. 

I know where the srixons are, so in theory I have the chance to buy them back if I really need to, but they might not be there long!

The silly thing is that I really like the idea of the callaways.   I could always do with a bit of distance (previously hit 7i about 160 so not short but not long).  I’m now firmly in dad golf mode, so the help would be good, but I’m just worried about the apparent lack of control.........although I seem to remember a few reports of that with the srixons, which I never saw. 

Any help/advice????

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

16 minutes ago, beaney said:

I need help!!!

I was the proud owner of a set of srixon z765 irons, which I loved and hit very well. 

Everything changed when I had a bad shoulder/nerve injury, which meant no golf for a year and a half. I finally had the all clear from physio to start hitting a few balls around Christmas, and being a WRX ho, I decided that it would be a good idea to get something that will help the shoulder (graphite), bridge any lost distance and give a bit of forgiveness, as I’m sure that although I was playing off scratch, that won’t be the case now!. 

so I sold the srixon and picked up a brand new set of callaway apex cf16 with recoil f4, from callaway preowned. 

I managed two very small range sessions with the callaways (and nothing more than a 7 iron to ease in the shoulder), before we went into lockdown (in the uk and it’s going to last at least another month). The clubs felt great, and the swing was surprisingly ok too. 

my dilemma is that (again in true wrx form) I’ve been reading about the apex’s and seen a few reports of crazy distance and fliers, and now wondering if I’ve done the right thing. 

I know where the srixons are, so in theory I have the chance to buy them back if I really need to, but they might not be there long!

The silly thing is that I really like the idea of the callaways.   I could always do with a bit of distance (previously hit 7i about 160 so not short but not long).  I’m now firmly in dad golf mode, so the help would be good, but I’m just worried about the apparent lack of control.........although I seem to remember a few reports of that with the srixons, which I never saw. 

Any help/advice????

Only one way to find out, try them for yourself. If you inexplicable start flying greens on what seems to be a good swing, well there ya go. Curious, are you a good striker? Whats your handicap?

Give the Apex a go.  If they dont work, do yourself a favor and grab the 785 instead.  Same Srixon goodness in a better looking package than the 765.  I wish I could say, "if you're loving what you have and playing well, why change?!" with some bit of seriousness, but I totally get it..LOL

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I currently game both sets (z745 and cf16).  I haven't noticed fliers from the 16's... I'm similar in distance with my 7i... 165 or so.  Just put the 745's back in the bag.  Less offset than the 16's and thinner top line... which you may or may not like.  When flushed, the 745's are second to none.  Excellent feel.  16's may be a bit more forgiving... but nothing that stands out.  As mentioned.... try both and go from there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Only one way to find out, try them for yourself. If you inexplicable start flying greens on what seems to be a good swing, well there ya go. Curious, are you a good striker? Whats your handicap?

I play off scratch. Never been a fantastic ball-striker, but ok. 

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW

I had the CF16s for over a year with the Recoil 780 F4. I did not get the fliers people talk about on full swings. But any type of half or 3/4 shot was a mess, would sometimes end up 20 yards past the green. I thought it was the head, but after going to a heavier graphite shaft that is constant weight, I'm thinking it was the parallel tip shaft. In the short irons, the 780 gets really light, and that can screw up your tempo.

When you can start hitting again, go see if you can hit partial swing shots with the clubs. 

• Like 1

I think fliers with GI's are a lot like that movie the Babadook, once you read about them and start looking for them, you find them a lot. People that overshoot greens with Mizuno MP32's just say they made a bad swing or mis-clubbed, or misjudged the wind... people who do it with Apex's got a flier. 

You should just get the Srixon's back because you know how this will turn out... the first time you overshoot a green it will be the clubs fault, all the reports will be true (never mind that admittedly you havent played a lot and are in golf dad mode) and will just end up buying some forged players club next year

So save yourself some money, if you're asking the question now the dice has already been cast

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Love this OP.  Been there myself and this plays out in the instruction sub forum all the time - "hey, just had a lesson, went well, wants me to work on "x" but I watched "y" YouTube video and well, what do you all think?"  This is a little different, but totally get it.  Reviews and opinions abound.  Pros are hitting fliers at the Sony this week from certain lies with the "blades".  Those cf16s are supposed to be "hot" but I guess it comes down to how do they perform for your game (I see you play off scratch - sorry, I wish I could relate) - but agree with the above, might as well get the Srixons back, you'll never get over it, hahahaha!  FWIW, and know nothing about your swing, I love the Recoil 95s in F4.  As a good player you know the "distance" you are talking about might just be the lofts, and if you are scratch I say you probably are a really good ball striker - "no slouch" as I heard in a movie once.

Take back your game!  Get those irons or you'll obsess yourself into a 7.8!

EDIT:  1.  I had elbow surgery last year, came back a little better for awhile, even though the surgery wasn't 100% successful, and know I can still get better; 2. Golf dad mode is awesome but no reason to start wearing your pants up above your navel!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

I own the 785's, great irons, have owned the 2014 apex pro, they were a good iron, either choice is yours, both will perform, it really boils down to your preferences. Get fit and choose,  no one can make this decision for you. 

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

2 hours ago, tbone18 said:

ZX5 problem solved.😀

I was going to say zx7, lol.  Wrx solution would be get the 5's but have that lingering desire to get the 7's, then get the 7's, then demo some Pings . . .

Nothing wrong with acquiring irons - you can always trade them, they hold their value. 😉

I just used to upgrade AP2s back when I played them for years because the new ones didn't look all that much different . . . . until "old" clubs in the garage started to look more and nicer.  Need a good reckoning every once in awhile, lol.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I was going to say zx7, lol.  Wrx solution would be get the 5's but have that lingering desire to get the 7's, then get the 7's, then demo some Pings . . .

Nothing wrong with acquiring irons - you can always trade them, they hold their value. 😉

I just used to upgrade AP2s back when I played them for years because the new ones didn't look all that much different . . . . until "old" clubs in the garage started to look more and nicer.  Need a good reckoning every once in awhile, lol.

zx7 are nice as well but need the slightly stronger lofts and more forgiveness in my older age.  I have a set of ZX5 on order with the MMT 105 stiffs hard stepped 1x.  hope the feel will be similar to my MMT 125tx SS 1x. I know the weight is different.

• Like 1

Just now, tbone18 said:

zx7 are nice as well but need the slightly stronger lofts and more forgiveness in my older age.  I have a set of ZX5 on order with the MMT 105 stiffs hard stepped 1x.  hope the feel will be similar to my MMT 125tx SS 1x. I know the weight is different.

Nice!  I haven't surrendered to stronger lofts yet, but did dump my 5i and add another hybrid, lol.  Plan on hitting both the 5s and 7s this spring as soon as I can find some and some green(ish) grass to hit them on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tbone18 said:

the ZX5 do look very nice............and before the srixons, I’d always had Ping irons, so you might be on to something!!!! 😂😂😂😂

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW