Hot melt in a G425

hammergolf

6 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

Ya I am not fast 49 years old 112 driver anywhere from +4 to +6 AOA, 3 to 4 in to out, quick transition... 

112 is fast unless you are comparing yourself to Rory or DJ.  Remember the avg club head speed is like 97mph.  The MAX was not overspinning for me and i have a few mph on ya so you should be fine.  And don't forget you can always reduced spin if need be by adding a lighter weight in the back and moving some weight towards the face using lead tape or melt.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

23 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

I am liking your set up (makes sense) to me. Do you have any updates on this? Did you order lighter head or did the rear weight change get you to the 198? Thanks dude....

I’ve only been able to get a few range sessions in since snow decided to mess up my winter practice here in Boise.

The 425 max 9 degree head came to me with a 23g weight in the back (includes screw for weight) and put 4g of hot melt right in the middle of the bottom moving the total head weight without the adapter to 202g. Noticeably affected sound in a positive way (lowered decibels and less hollow sound). I ordered a 15g weight from Billy Bob’s to have options if I found the head to be too spinny or bias in one way. I absolutely love this driver in the Big - setting which is suppose to be -1.5 degrees and a degree or 2 more open face (with Ventus Red 6X tipped 1.25” playing 45”). The driver is not draw bias at all and seems to be a good balance. I wanted to keep the spin rate similar to the Big - setting because it was really good but wanted to see if I could increase launch a touch. Not a fan of too much fade bias since I like to work it both ways and this driver is perfect for me in that way. With my current setup I kept the swing weight the same by changing the back weight to the 14g (was suppose to be 15g but actually 14g when I weighed it) so I added an extra 10 grams or so of lead tape towards the face (as if I was going to hotmelt forward for lower spin). I changed the adapter setting to regular (9 degrees) but moved it to the flat setting to keep the shot shape similar.

The range sessions I’ve had so far are very promising since it raised the launch and seems to be on the lower end of spin which is perfect for me. It seems to be extremely forgiving still since my miss is a toe and I have the slider weight in the toe and in flat setting. I didn’t see any quick lefts or anything making the spin axis go crazy when I missed it. Will hopefully get out and play here this weekend if the snow can melt. I’ll update with on course review with 2021 prov1X which I have had in play for about a month now. I love this stuff so sorry for being long winded. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Scottishducati said:

I’ve only been able to get a few range sessions in since snow decided to mess up my winter practice here in Boise.

The 425 max 9 degree head came to me with a 23g weight in the back (includes screw for weight) and put 4g of hot melt right in the middle of the bottom moving the total head weight without the adapter to 202g. Noticeably affected sound in a positive way (lowered decibels and less hollow sound). I ordered a 15g weight from Billy Bob’s to have options if I found the head to be too spinny or bias in one way. I absolutely love this driver in the Big - setting which is suppose to be -1.5 degrees and a degree or 2 more open face (with Ventus Red 6X tipped 1.25” playing 45”). The driver is not draw bias at all and seems to be a good balance. I wanted to keep the spin rate similar to the Big - setting because it was really good but wanted to see if I could increase launch a touch. Not a fan of too much fade bias since I like to work it both ways and this driver is perfect for me in that way. With my current setup I kept the swing weight the same by changing the back weight to the 14g (was suppose to be 15g but actually 14g when I weighed it) so I added an extra 10 grams or so of lead tape towards the face (as if I was going to hotmelt forward for lower spin). I changed the adapter setting to regular (9 degrees) but moved it to the flat setting to keep the shot shape similar.

The range sessions I’ve had so far are very promising since it raised the launch and seems to be on the lower end of spin which is perfect for me. It seems to be extremely forgiving still since my miss is a toe and I have the slider weight in the toe and in flat setting. I didn’t see any quick lefts or anything making the spin axis go crazy when I missed it. Will hopefully get out and play here this weekend if the snow can melt. I’ll update with on course review with 2021 prov1X which I have had in play for about a month now. I love this stuff so sorry for being long winded. 

I live in Bend, OR and sorry but we are moving to Meridian this Sunday. I am looking at joining either Spurwing or Hillcrest? It would be fun to hook up and play some golf sometime?

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bnholley said:

@J13 have you had any experience hot melting max 3 woods ? Do you think 2gs would be enough to dull the sound a little bit

I have a max 3w.  I added a little over 3g to get the swingweight up after I swapped the shaft.  Definitely changed the sound to a lower, more solid pitch.  It's a great 3w either way but more pleasing to hit after I added the hot melt.

2 hours ago, bnholley said:

@J13 have you had any experience hot melting max 3 woods ? Do you think 2gs would be enough to dull the sound a little bit

Yes I've hotmelted some 425 Max 3 woods (including the one i'm testing) and 2g can help for sure. Obviously the more you add the better the effect.  

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bt31 said:

I'm looking to add hotmelt for better sound to a G425.  Ordered a kit to do it. My question is where do you access the head to insert the hotmelt? There's some sort of port in the heel. Is that it? 

yes. it is just takes a standard Allen wrench to remove it.  it's pretty easy to remove.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, tbone18 said:

yes. it is just takes a standard Allen wrench to remove it.  it's pretty easy to remove.

This ^

Just make sure to be careful when you put it back in.  DO NOT over tighten, it's plastic not metal.  I made that mistake when they first introduced these plastic screws and I was hotmelting someones 410 Plus.

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

This ^

Just make sure to be careful when you put it back in.  DO NOT over tighten, it's plastic not metal.  I made that mistake when they first introduced these plastic screws and I was hotmelting someones 410 Plus.

It doesn't make sense to make the screw metal and the screw housing plastic.

35 minutes ago, tbone18 said:

It doesn't make sense to make the screw metal and the screw housing plastic.

agree

Edel PROTO

On 3/11/2021 at 10:54 PM, simmers said:

Where do you put the Melt ? On the Crown or bottom of club ?

I would like to hear @J13 on this, but I thought for sound improving the rule of thumb is 3-4 g of hotmelt pooled in the crown area will do the job with no impact on performance. I don’t do any hot melting myself but I’ve had 2 heads done this way and it worked great. Could tell no difference  except a better thud at impact. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I would like to hear @J13 on this, but I thought for sound improving the rule of thumb is 3-4 g of hotmelt pooled in the crown area will do the job with no impact on performance. I don’t do any hot melting myself but I’ve had 2 heads done this way and it worked great. Could tell no difference  except a better thud at impact. 

Everything you said is correct, it also depends on the head design as sometimes the crown is not necessary.  Ideally you want every gram added to be low for COG purposes. 

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, J13 said:

haha happy to help and best of luck.  The MAX wasn't high spin for me, i would classify it as moderate spin.  

Hey I was hoping to revisit this after a couple months of fittings and testing. You noted that the spin on the Max was moderate for you, in your opinion (which I respect the hell out of) what would need to be done via hotmelt / weight replacement to get the spin on the Max within a reasonable range compared to the LST? 

Curious if you knew the secret recipe for forward placed hotmelt vs weight for MOI. I prefer the look and forgiveness of the Max over the LST, by doing these adjustments would it significantly reduce the forgiveness?  Obviously I know it’s subjected but if you could offer your opinion based on your experiences I would appreciate it.

"Take er' deep"

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I had j13 Hot Melt my G425 lst and max 3 wood . I put a new 14 slider weight in Driver and 7 gram back weight in 3 wood then 3 grams of Hot Melt in driver and 2 1/2 in 3 wood. Very happy with the results . In the driver it just took away that slight high pitched crack and the 3 wood took away the hollow aluminum bat sound , still neither one of them are quiet but deathly muted the sharpness . J13 made the process easy, communication was great , and the specs were exactly as I asked

• Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, bnholley said:

Just a quick update, I had j13 Hot Melt my G425 lst and max 3 wood . I put a new 14 slider weight in Driver and 7 gram back weight in 3 wood then 3 grams of Hot Melt in driver and 2 1/2 in 3 wood. Very happy with the results . In the driver it just took away that slight high pitched crack and the 3 wood took away the hollow aluminum bat sound , still neither one of them are quiet but deathly muted the sharpness . J13 made the process easy, communication was great , and the specs were exactly as I asked

Glad its going well and thank you for the kind words.  Always happy to take care of my golfwrx brothers.

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 8:51 AM, J13 said:

I've hotmelted about 6 Ping G425's in my shop so far.  I've been able to help sound with as little as 4-5g's and almost all builds involved a lighter weight being added to the perimeter sliding weight.  Fortunately they can be found online fairly easily.  Also most Ping builds for tour players are doing this exact same thing.

If anyone needs assistance with melt and don't have a local place just pm me.  Happy to help.

@J13  Hoping you can help me shed some light on my G425 Max.  I ordered mine directly from Ping with 3 grams of hot melt added by Pings WRX department leaving the swing weight at D3 with the Tensei Orange shaft at it's default 45.25" length.  Club has arrived and I found it very inconsistent with regards to finding the center of the face.  I decided to weigh the head with the weight (they put in a 20 gram weight in) and the head weighed in at 203 grams instead of the 206 grams as per norm.   My guess is that may be why I can't seem to consistently find the center and feel the head during my downswing.  

As an FYI, I'm coming from a G410 LST and I can center smash it no problem so I know it's not the swing this time!  Thoughts?

Edited by jbandalo

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

25 minutes ago, jbandalo said:

@J13  Hoping you can help me shed some light on my G425 Max.  I ordered mine directly from Ping with 3 grams of hot melt added by Pings WRX department leaving the swing weight at D3 with the Tensei Orange shaft at it's default 45.25" length.  Club has arrived and I found it very inconsistent with regards to finding the center of the face.  I decided to weigh the head with the weight (they put in a 20 gram weight in) and the head weighed in at 203 grams instead of the 206 grams as per norm.   My guess is that may be why I can't seem to consistently find the center and feel the head during my downswing.  

As an FYI, I'm coming from a G410 LST and I can center smash it no problem so I know it's not the swing this time!  Thoughts?

Yeah I can't say for certain but did you play the same shaft in the G410LST as well?  You have quite a few things going on that could be the issue.  The G425 Max is VERY different from the G410LST in how it behaves from a COG perspective.

Edited by J13

Edel PROTO

28 minutes ago, jbandalo said:

The adapter weighs 3ish grams, the head weight specs on the ping site include the adapter weight. So based on that I would think your Max head weight is standard

"Take er' deep"

3 minutes ago, J13 said:

Yeah I can't say for certain but did you play the same shaft in the G410LST as well?  You have quite a few things going on that could be the issue.  The G425 Max is VERY different from the G410LST in how it behaves from a COG perspective.

@J13 Different shaft but I know it works for me as I have it in my 5w as well and no issues with it at all.  I just find it strange that the head weight is off by 3 grams.  

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

1 minute ago, mike_wardo said:

The adapter weighs 3ish grams, the head weight specs on the ping site include the adapter weight. So based on that I would think your Max head weight is standard

Thanks.  Did not know that.  

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

2 hours ago, jbandalo said:

@J13 Different shaft but I know it works for me as I have it in my 5w as well and no issues with it at all.  I just find it strange that the head weight is off by 3 grams.  

Gotcha but remember, just because something works for you in a fairway wood doesn't necessarily mean it's going to play the same in a driver.  As for weight of a driver, OEM's always measure head weight with the adapter but I don't think that's the issue.  I think the main issue is the head and shaft combo aren't working for you.  If you still have the 410LST I would try the shaft that's in that in the G425 Max. If it works then you found the problem.  If not then try the Orange in the 410LST.  Eventually you will find out what's going on.   Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 5/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, J13 said:

Gotcha but remember, just because something works for you in a fairway wood doesn't necessarily mean it's going to play the same in a driver.  As for weight of a driver, OEM's always measure head weight with the adapter but I don't think that's the issue.  I think the main issue is the head and shaft combo aren't working for you.  If you still have the 410LST I would try the shaft that's in that in the G425 Max. If it works then you found the problem.  If not then try the Orange in the 410LST.  Eventually you will find out what's going on.   Hope that helps.

Crisis adverted. Put the G425 Max in the flat setting and back to hitting high bombs. The G410 LST was quite a bit flatter in lie so tried that in the G425 Max and all good. 

Thanks for all of your suggestions. 

• Like 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, J13 said:

Everything you said is correct, it also depends on the head design as sometimes the crown is not necessary.  Ideally you want every gram added to be low for COG purposes. 

At risk of sounding thick headed, are you saying to put hot melt on the crown or on the sole to improve sound of a G425 ?

Here's a cheap fix under $8.00  to dull the g425 max  horrible sound.  ive tried it  continue to use it. Tape has some thickness so to help dampen sound. 

Cut into strips placed in various spots on the bottom. Experiment with different size pieces and placement to your liking.

641003P.jpg

• Like 1