• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the 10th-12th club, you are looking at situational clubs that depend on your game and your course... if you are playing the same course regularly, just pay attention to what shots keep popping u

From a    A parallel thought: A Golf Digest survey a couple of years ago reported that half of PGA tour pros had 58* as their highest lofted wedge.

52/58 is a great setup. Used by way more pros than most people realize. Been using this setup for many years and gaps are exactly how I want them, except my pw is 46. It depends on course conditions y

52/58 is a great setup. Used by way more pros than most people realize. Been using this setup for many years and gaps are exactly how I want them, except my pw is 46. It depends on course conditions you play and what you need at the top of your bag but there's nothing you can't do with a 58 that you can do with a 62. 

Edited by Skhacker
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Skhacker said:

52/58 is a great setup. Used by way more pros than most people realize. Been using this setup for many years and gaps are exactly how I want them, except my pw is 46. 

Thanks for the input! I didn’t realize the setup was so common. I kinda have one more club I can throw in the bag. It’s either another wedge or a 3 wood 

What grinds were you fit into  for your 52 58?  Assuming 60.10 SB in your Hi Toe, you’re adding 2° bounce by bending to 62. 12° bounce on a lob is fairly high, but maybe that’s what you need. Perhaps you should go the other way, bend 64.10 to 62.08.

Winter-Spring 2021

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy 20° KBS 70/80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° Modus 120

Srixon Z785 5i-AW Modus 120

Cleveland Zipcore 56.10 60.10 DG Spinner

** Putter of the week **

From a 

1 hour ago, Skhacker said:

... there's nothing you can't do with a 58 that you can do with a 62. 

A parallel thought: A Golf Digest survey a couple of years ago reported that half of PGA tour pros had 58* as their highest lofted wedge.

• Like 3

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

7 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

I find that amazing. I can’t get a 58 to stop fast enough. Maybe they are better than me...? Nah. Doubtful. 

I can’t comprehend how you can’t get a 58 to stop almost immediately if not sooner

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I dropped my 60 for a 58 last year and have been surprised at the lack of impact it has had on my short game.  A few rounds to get the feel for it and I basically just treat it like my old 60 now.

My old setup went 45/50/56/60.  New setup is 45/50/54/58.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Forged Tour (4-PW)

Cobra King Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

Wedge play is by far the best part of my game so I like using 4 wedges. Currently have SM7 50,54 and 58 and love them. Personally think this is the best setup if you want 4 wedges. My pitching wedge is 46. I love my SM7 so much thinking of adding a SM7 46 to swap out for my set pitching wedge

Just changed to 52, 58 wedge mix from 54, 60.   Was using the 60 mostly from the sand and not doing real well with it otherwise.  I think the 58 will give me a little more versatility.   Also adding bounce to both clubs, 12 degrees for each from 10,8 respectively, as the conditions here in northern OH are soft more often than not.  

TS2 driver, 9.5 - Tensei  AV Blue 55, s
Mavrik 4-wood, 16.5 - Evenflow Riptide 65, s
Callaway Super Hybrid, 20 - Tensei Orange 80, r
Ping G425 hybrid, 22 - Tensei Orange 80, s
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
SM8 52, F12; 58, D12 - Steelfiber i95 r
White Hot OG 1ws,  Stroke Lab, 33"

33 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

Yep. Many people don't realize that as the marketing is pushing 52,56,60 so people buy an extra wedge they don't need. 

Marketing is doing them a huge favor then, because wedges are 1/2 the cost of adding an extra hybrid instead

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/ Diamana D+ 95
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

11 hours ago, Jpowell2142 said:

I play with the p7mc 3-pw. My pw is a 47° and I was fitted for 2 sm8’s 52° and 58°. I was thinking of adding a 60° TM hi-toe bent to 62°, any thoughts? 

You're basically setting up the top of your bag very similarly to the original PING eye2 wedges which were 61, 57.5, and 50*. A lot of folks played some really good golf with this setup and there's no reason why you can't either. 

Edited by nitram
grammar
  • Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tournament Blade 8-P      MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

16 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

I can’t get a 58 to stop fast enough. ...

Some things to consider:

• How far away are you? From 50-100 yards (half-to-full swing range), I can get decent spin on my wedge. From closer, a bit of runout can come. Remember, spin is just part of it... a step descent angle also helps with stop.
  • Descent angle? Are you using an upright swing? If you use a flatter, chippish swing from close in, you'll get more runout. Again, maximize descent angle.
  • Shaft type? Lots of mumbo-jumbo on this. If you hit mainly partials with your SW and LW, softstep the shaft. This will make it easier to get spin on a partial swing. Softstepping extends the length of the flexible tip, which will enhance spin.
  • Ball type? If you are not using at least a midsoft ionomer cover (or urethane), you are not committed to decent stopping power for close-in shots.
  • Drop point? For close in wedges, how much check spin can you count on? If I drop a 30-yarder six feet short, I might (but probably not) get dart-type bite. If not, a release of a yard or two can set up a tap in.
  • Lie angle: do your wedge shots tend to drift left (assuming R-handed)? If so, you may need to flatten wedge lie angle a degree.

Go for it! And, as they say in Star Wars, "May the birdie be with you!"🙄

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

After the 10th-12th club, you are looking at situational clubs that depend on your game and your course... if you are playing the same course regularly, just pay attention to what shots keep popping up that you don’t have a great solution for... if you play a number of courses, I think a wedge that has a different profile from your main wedges makes a ton of sense... high bounce or low bounce depending on your courses and the conditions...

If you’re playing in Texas, a low bounce option tends to make sense... also, bring a fiddle...

if you are playing a ton of long shots, another long club in your bag makes sense... especially if there is a ton of wind... having a club you can hit low and far is always a good option on windy days.

for your last club, it’s less a decision of something you’ll need every round and more a decision of what will make my life easier every few rounds... or it should be if you built your bag correctly.

• Like 3

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

54, 58 Vokeys

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

20 hours ago, Skhacker said:

52/58 is a great setup. Used by way more pros than most people realize. Been using this setup for many years and gaps are exactly how I want them, except my pw is 46. It depends on course conditions you play and what you need at the top of your bag but there's nothing you can't do with a 58 that you can do with a 62. 

Concur. Disclaimer: I'm totally biased, as I'm in 52-58 currently and before that I was in 53-58. Ditched my 60 about 6 years ago after trying various Vokeys, everything from the SM2 K grind to the WW V grind and whatnot. I concur with @Skhackerthat there's no shot you can't hit with a 58 that you could hit with a 60 -- heck Rocco only carries a 56 -- if you are able to set your hands/the clubface in the right spot to add loft and bounce. Now are there times where I dump myself in an impossible short sided spot where the green and or wind is working against me and I wish I had a 64 that I could try to go full Mickelson with? Yes -- but rarely -- and frankly I'm more likely to get myself into more trouble by playing a club with more than 58 degrees loft. However, that's just my personal experience and that's what works for my technique around the greens. If you have the chance to demo a 62 and are a total wizard with it and like it of course you should throw it in the bag, as you mention you have the room in the starting line-up because you don't carry a 3-wood.

Also, if you're looking to play the 62 as a club you can hit to a number I think it's a different story. If you don't like taking some juice off your 58 and find that the number you'd be hitting 62 from is a regular occurrence for you -- of course throw the 62 in.

TLDR: Only true way to find out is to try one yourself. I like Steve Stricker and David Duval are preferential to the 52-58/52-59/similar set-ups, but if you want to try out the 62 then why not?

Driver: Taylormade SIM (9) Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

3-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel T/S (13) Graphite Design YS-6S

5-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel 5 (18) MAS 2 S

Hybrid: Callaway RAZR Tour 3 (21) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-W) PXG 0311T GEN 1  True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Wedges: (50) PXG 0311 Forged GEN 1 & (52-09 SB, 58-11 SB)Taylormade Milled Grind 2, (50) True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400, (52, 58) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: PING 1/2 CRAZ-E L Broomstick 48"

Ball: Titleist ProV1x, Vice Pro Plus, TP5X, et al. 

I like 52, 58 which I’m in now after previous playing 50, 54, 58. 

I think the key is having different and/or versatile enough grinds for the kinds of shots you’ll want to hit. My AW which is really just a pitching wedge in all but name is 48. 

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52/12W Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 58/8W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Bridgestone Tour B X 

15 hours ago, rkillian said:

My AW which is really just a pitching wedge in all but name is 48.

My 48* replaces a 46* and a 50*.

It depends on your playing style and comfort level with partial shots and club head manipulation. I prefer to play most short shots with a square-ish face, so I use three wedges (51,56,60) in addition to PW. But if you like opening/closing the face and other feelsy manipulations, a 52/58 or similar setup will work.

D| Ping G400 w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

3W| Cobra F9 Tour 16* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

H| Ping G400 22* w/UST Mamiya PROFORCE V2 Black X

4-P| New Level 902 w/Dynamic Gold TI S400

GW, SW| Maltby M-Series+ Tour w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

LW| Maltby Tour Grind MG w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

I don't see the benefit of an added wedge.  Best is what comfortably works for you.  That said, to add a wedge, what are you giving up?  If you're good with 58, I'd just replace it with 60*.  Going with 62* is too limiting.

I play 718 T-MB 2i with 620 MBs 3-PW(47*) + Vokey M 52* and 58*.   I've played 2i-LW setup for maybe thirty years.

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

On this topic what are some wedge setup options when you have a 45* PW and 50* GW. For the longest time I played a PW off 47* and GW at 52* and LW at 58*.  I used my 58* for mostly everything around the green and my 52 was the 80-100 yard club. 

recently went with a more players distance iron JPX 921F and the most logical set up is 50* GW 54* SW and 58*LW.  I was thinking of dropping the 54 and 58, and going with just a 56 as my SW/LW but curious if I’m limiting myself too much. After getting my distances figured out with the new clubs I think I can make it work for my game but anyone have experience with 50 and 56 only that can chime in. Thanks 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR

Callaway Epic SZ 15* 

Callaway Apex 20*

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Spider X

4 hours ago, sbjinx said:

On this topic what are some wedge setup options when you have a 45* PW and 50* GW. For the longest time I played a PW off 47* and GW at 52* and LW at 58*.  I used my 58* for mostly everything around the green and my 52 was the 80-100 yard club. 

recently went with a more players distance iron JPX 921F and the most logical set up is 50* GW 54* SW and 58*LW.  I was thinking of dropping the 54 and 58, and going with just a 56 as my SW/LW but curious if I’m limiting myself too much. After getting my distances figured out with the new clubs I think I can make it work for my game but anyone have experience with 50 and 56 only that can chime in. Thanks 

I played a 57 SW (56 bent a degree weak) as my most lofted wedge and recently added a 60 because I felt my distance control inside of 70 yards was pretty poor. The 57 went about 105 with a full swing, and using one club from 0-105 yards didn’t enable enough precision for me. Inserting a 75 yard full swing club has helped. I felt pretty confident around the greens with the SW though and still use it as my main short game tool except for the most extreme circumstances. Wedges went from 46/49/53/57 (aggregated/mismatched over many years) to 46/51/56/60 (dedicated intentionally).

• Like 2

D| Ping G400 w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

3W| Cobra F9 Tour 16* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

H| Ping G400 22* w/UST Mamiya PROFORCE V2 Black X

4-P| New Level 902 w/Dynamic Gold TI S400

GW, SW| Maltby M-Series+ Tour w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

LW| Maltby Tour Grind MG w/Dynamic Gold TI Black Onyx S400

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

On 1/17/2021 at 12:27 AM, ChipNRun said:

From a 

A parallel thought: A Golf Digest survey a couple of years ago reported that half of PGA tour pros had 58* as their highest lofted wedge.

This is really interesting...would love to see that report. Usually when you look up most PGA guys’ WITB they have some version of a setup that ends with a 60* as their highest lofted club.

After a lot of trial and error with different wedge setups, to me the most logical way to go is the 3 wedge setup of 47, 52, 58 personally but just like everything in golf you have to find the best solution that works for you and your individual game. I’m looking forward to gaming this setup for the 2021 season and practicing at it to see if it’s the best fit overall.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max D (10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

TaylorMade SIM Max D (16*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 FW

Srixon Z U85 (20*) / UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

TaylorMade P770 (4-PW) / Project X Rifle 6.0

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

I'm old enough to remember having a 56* SW as my highest lofted wedge and learning to open it up. I tried several 60* LWs and while it wasn't disastrous, I never felt totally comfortable - square faced felt like something I could have done with an open 56* and opening the face of the 60* was very difficult to judge.  For me, it was a very niche club.

Prompted by many threads on here, I decided to try a 58* and the difference to me is significant. It performs like a more lofted 56* with both square and open faced shots and I find it much more predictable, whether on full shots, lofted chips and from sand.

As has been said earlier, your typical course conditions will also be a factor.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway XR16 10.5* @ 9.5*N Speeder 565R
3 Wood: Callaway X2Hot 15* Aldila Tour Blue R
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19* Stock R
Utility Iron: Srixon Z U45 23* @ 22* Miyasaki Blue 7R
Irons: Srixon Z565 5-PW NS Pro Modus3 105R
GW: Cleveland RTX3 Raw 50* @ 49* NS Pro Modus Wedge
SW: Titleist Vokey SM5 Black 54* M Grind DG Wedge
LW: Titleist Vokey SM5 Black 58* M Grind DG Wedge
Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX7
Ball: Srixon Z Star/Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, codman said:

I'm old enough to remember having a 56* SW as my highest lofted wedge and learning to open it up. I tried several 60* LWs and while it wasn't disastrous, I never felt totally comfortable - square faced felt like something I could have done with an open 56* and opening the face of the 60* was very difficult to judge.  For me, it was a very niche club.

Prompted by many threads on here, I decided to try a 58* and the difference to me is significant. It performs like a more lofted 56* with both square and open faced shots and I find it much more predictable, whether on full shots, lofted chips and from sand.

As has been said earlier, your typical course conditions will also be a factor.

I’m exactly the same. For many years the 56 was my main club, I kept the 60 in the bag for the occasional flop or short range full swing.  When I went with the 58 it replaced all of those shots. I use it for most shots now, except when I need a low runner or when I want to flight it down because of wind or if I’m on a upslope. 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3