Please review Graphite Design Tour AD Utility/Driving Iron shaft

I can't test the shaft out with the head combo so would like to get general input regarding this shaft.

Planning to purchase Graphite Design (GD) Tour AD Driving Iron 95S with Srixon ZX DUI (20*)

Info about the shaft: https://proschoicegolfshafts.com/tour-ad-utilitydriving-iron/

Currently using GD Tour AD TP-6x for driver, AD DI-7x for 3 wood, AD DI-8x for 5 wood. Nippon Modus 120 stiff for my irons.

Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OEM’s have a machine like a pencil sharpener to accomplish this, but you can literally just sand the shaft tip till it fits fully inserted. You would ideally have the shaft you pulled handy to referen

F-this... Too many things to consider and muck around... LOL. I am just going to use my 3 iron for now. Played with my Srixon Z Forged 3 iron today and felt like I was throwing darts to the green from

For what it’s worth, Bill at Pro Choice told me that the Driving Iron shaft would deliver the intended performance for a driving iron rather than the hybrid shaft. 

I wasn’t a fan of this shaft. It gave no feedback and didn’t feel on par with their other shafts I’ve tested.

I’m a fan of a properly fit hybrid shaft in DIs especially if you already have a favorite profile you can base Off of from hitting hybrids

Right now I’m using an atmos black in an xforged - but the tensei pro blue, pro white, Ventus hyb, and Mitsubishi MMT are all good options.

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

I had a 105x one in a srixon 2 iron for a few years and got one for a friend. When swinging well, they were great and ball go far --when my game was off--oh well alot of left than right shots.  Of course, that's my fault--but the purpose of a good fitted shaft is to help me even when it's my fault. I'm looking for the magic shaft-and the steel 130x c-taper is better for my game when I am off---I just bought a ventus 10x--I hope the ventus is the best of both worlds.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 rogue Ventus black 6x/Sim 10.5 ventus black 7x

Titleist u510 16 1 iron ventus black 10x /udi 2 iron 130x
Sim ti 3 ventus black 7x

Sim ti 5 ventus black 8x 

ram 7 wood x100
5-gw Wishon eq1-nx single length

Cleveland cbx2 wedges x100 52/56/60
Callaway tank
Taylormade tp5x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

5 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I wasn’t a fan of this shaft. It gave no feedback and didn’t feel on par with their other shafts I’ve tested.

I’m a fan of a properly fit hybrid shaft in DIs especially if you already have a favorite profile you can base Off of from hitting hybrids

Right now I’m using an atmos black in an xforged - but the tensei pro blue, pro white, Ventus hyb, and Mitsubishi MMT are all good options.

This is what I have been hearing from many people on the forum. Hence very reluctant to purchase this shaft without being able to test.

My club builder can instead make the ZX DUI fit to a .37 diameter DI-9s Hybrid shaft but I am not sure if this will change the integrity or playability of the shaft and the head. 

Also do you reckon I should go with s or x in DI hybrid shaft. (Currently using GD Tour AD TP-6x for driver, AD DI-7x for 3 wood, AD DI-8x for 5 wood. Nippon Modus 120 stiff for my irons.)

3 hours ago, hypergolf said:

This is what I have been hearing from many people on the forum. Hence very reluctant to purchase this shaft without being able to test.

My club builder can instead make the ZX DUI fit to a .37 diameter DI-9s Hybrid shaft but I am not sure if this will change the integrity or playability of the shaft and the head. 

Also do you reckon I should go with s or x in DI hybrid shaft. (Currently using GD Tour AD TP-6x for driver, AD DI-7x for 3 wood, AD DI-8x for 5 wood. Nippon Modus 120 stiff for my irons.)

No issue shaving shaft from .370 to fit into taper tip hosel, OEM’s do it all the time. This all seems like good advice honestly regarding the DI driving iron shaft, it has the opposite profile of the AD DI family. DI’s get stiffer from butt to tip, where as the driving iron gets softer.  I played a DJ (which has same profile is driving iron) for a bit and I had no real issue with it other than it launched very high. 

The hybrid shaft in 105x is awesome

the di shafts are loose feeling ... I have 85 and 95’s

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

Regarding the suggestion/assertion to install .370 into the standard iron hosel, would one lightly taper the parallel shaft (ie, is that an option with graphite..?) or is it necessary to ream the bottom of the bore slightly.

If light taper on graphite is an option, roughly how far up the tip must one go?

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

14 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

Regarding the suggestion/assertion to install .370 into the standard iron hosel, would one lightly taper the parallel shaft (ie, is that an option with graphite..?) or is it necessary to ream the bottom of the bore slightly.

If light taper on graphite is an option, roughly how far up the tip must one go?

OEM’s have a machine like a pencil sharpener to accomplish this, but you can literally just sand the shaft tip till it fits fully inserted. You would ideally have the shaft you pulled handy to reference insertion depth, but you don’t need to touch the hosel other than to clean and prep it for reshafting. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, zeke66 said:

I guess I’m in the minority here but I really liked this shaft. I played it in a Callaway 18 degree driving iron. It was very consistent and stable. Felt like a little bit lighter iron shaft. Very consistent for me. 

I am tempted to try it in a U510 for a couple reasons... one it’s taper tip so it if fits with less work. Secondly it’s cheaper than a hybrid shaft if the AD DI. I figured for a club replacing my 4 iron control would be ideal, but the easy launch is part of why I’m even asking.  Did you find it pretty easy to hit, as driving irons can be pesky to elevate if not flushed. 

I actually get along with steel in driving irons pretty well. I had a driving iron with the hybrid shaft from GD and one with the DI GD shaft same weight. The steel always seems launch lowest. The DI shaft was a little higher, easier to elevate. The hybrid shaft was the loosest and made the club seem really spinny and less like a driving iron. Into the wind it just wasn’t near as good as the DI GD shaft or Steel. That being said... the DI GD shaft isn’t as hefty as steel, but also still performed well in the wind 

6 minutes ago, zeke66 said:

I actually get along with steel in driving irons pretty well. I had a driving iron with the hybrid shaft from GD and one with the DI GD shaft same weight. The steel always seems launch lowest. The DI shaft was a little higher, easier to elevate. The hybrid shaft was the loosest and made the club seem really spinny and less like a driving iron. Into the wind it just wasn’t near as good as the DI GD shaft or Steel. That being said... the DI GD shaft isn’t as hefty as steel, but also still performed well in the wind 

How does the DI hybrid shaft in terms of flex?  

Wondering if I should go with s or x in DI hybrid shaft. (Currently using GD Tour AD TP-6x for driver, AD DI-7x for 3 wood, AD DI-8x for 5 wood. Nippon Modus 120 stiff for my irons.

1 minute ago, hypergolf said:

How does the DI hybrid shaft in terms of flex?  

Wondering if I should go with s or x in DI hybrid shaft. (Currently using GD Tour AD TP-6x for driver, AD DI-7x for 3 wood, AD DI-8x for 5 wood. Nippon Modus 120 stiff for my irons.

I have an AD-DI 95-S in my hybrid.  Love it.  Feels like a Modus shaft in that it is smooth (hard hitters might even say loose) but I’m no where near over powering it.  Iron shafts are Modus 105-S and I’ve played 120-S without issue as well.

Given your current set-up, I’d look at 95X or 105X.

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

11 hours ago, hypergolf said:

F-this... Too many things to consider and muck around... LOL. I am just going to use my 3 iron for now. Played with my Srixon Z Forged 3 iron today and felt like I was throwing darts to the green from 200 to 210 yard range. 

As a confirmed shaft ho, I LOL'd at this.

I have a Ventus Blue 8S hybrid shaft that I'll be putting into my driving iron as this year's experiment for once the snow melts.

• Haha 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

The issue guys like me have is trying to put the driving iron into hybrids ... saving a few bones

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

On 1/18/2021 at 12:50 PM, hypergolf said:

Or another option is to wait a few more months and just order a TSi3 hybrid (smaller head) which would launch lower than my current hybrid and order the shaft with Titleist tip so that I can use it over and over again in different heads... So many choices to make... 

I think I am a golf psychic... 

https://www.golfwrx.com/645217/golfwrx-spotted-titleist-tsi-hybrids-seeding-at-the-american-express/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main