2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

bushnell pro xe update coming?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, TheMoneyShot said:

Kind of surprised Bushnell is “holding court” with their current line and not introducing anything new.  They usually release new items every year. 

I'm seeing many manufacturers having their typical release schedules delayed - probably virus related.  

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I ended up biting the bullet and pulling the trigger on the Pro XE as I got it at the department store where I am a member and got extra 15% off using my credit card. Used it today and must say that I am very pleased with it, however i'm hoping next version doesn't have any other super appealing features which will entice me to upgrade lol.

After using it I will agree with some of the peoples reviews that in bright sunlight the only option red display can be difficult to read/faint at times even with the brightness at max level 4 however it was still readable. Later in the day I did really appreciate the red display as it came in very crisp. I also agree that the v5 shift does a quicker job of jolt/flag lock than the Pro XE but doesn't have the elements feature. Once I figured out to aim slightly off to the side and pan over it locked/jolted fairly easy. I did hear that in some high altitude places like Colorado, Utah and a few other places the elevation/elements feature doesn't necessarily read it properly but others said it did just fine. Given that I live in Bangkok, Thailand currently and my hometown is Seattle (Sea level lol) I figured I was ok. Also I agree with some that the slope switch could be of higher quality given the price tag.

But I do think the next update will probably have selectable black or red display and probably enhance/improve some of the altitude/barometric pressure issues. Probably also a tigher and higher quality slope switch/button. I do appreciate that its waterproof and 7x zoom. Those were the two features that convinced me on the pro xe over the v5 shift. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The slope/elements on my XE recently quit working and it’s just outside of warranty. It has taken some heavy drops (I don’t recommend trusting the bite magnet) so I don’t really blame this on a quality issue. Anyway, Bushnell did give me a discount code for a replacement. Gonna save it and see if anything is released at the PGA early next year. I’d speculate the next update, whenever it drops, will have features to directly compete with how the Garmin Z82, Precision Pro R1, and VoiceCaddie SL2 have integrated GPS and elements. I don’t even know if I’m sold on any of those three but it’s worth being a little patient to see what, if anything, is offered in the next few months.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GolfCsty said:

The slope/elements on my XE recently quit working and it’s just outside of warranty. It has taken some heavy drops (I don’t recommend trusting the bite magnet) so I don’t really blame this on a quality issue. Anyway, Bushnell did give me a discount code for a replacement. Gonna save it and see if anything is released at the PGA early next year. I’d speculate the next update, whenever it drops, will have features to directly compete with how the Garmin Z82, Precision Pro R1, and VoiceCaddie SL2 have integrated GPS and elements. I don’t even know if I’m sold on any of those three but it’s worth being a little patient to see what, if anything, is offered in the next few months.  

Stick to the fairways with the cart lol

I have never had mine fall off. I used to be super careful at first 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:50 PM, Shushwap said:

Stick to the fairways with the cart lol

I have never had mine fall off. I used to be super careful at first 

Yes! Find the fairway and the rangefinder works great!

But, to be serious, I’m not bashing Bushnell for an inferior product. It’s a strong magnet. But magnets are inconsistent based on what they’re attached too and/or the clumsiness of the person handling them. Consistency is the key, just like the game we’re playing, in keeping a range finder in your possession and operational. So, to rephrase my statement above, if you can’t stick the rangefinder to the same tried tested and approved location every time don’t trust the magnet. 

Edited by GolfCsty

4 hours ago, GolfCsty said:

Yes! Find the fairway and the rangefinder works great!

But, to be serious, I’m not bashing Bushnell for an inferior product. It’s a strong magnet. But magnets are inconsistent based on what they’re attached too and/or the clumsiness of the person handling them. Consistency is the key, just like the game we’re playing, in keeping a range finder in your possession and operational. So, to rephrase my statement above, if you can’t stick the rangefinder to the same tried tested and approved location every time don’t trust the magnet. 

Crappy its failed on u... Hopefully they release something at the PGA show.. Precision pro just released that new one with all the bells and whistles.. U would think Bushnell would come out with something to compete with it 

35 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Crappy its failed on u... Hopefully they release something at the PGA show.. Precision pro just released that new one with all the bells and whistles.. U would think Bushnell would come out with something to compete with it 

Anyone had experience with the new Precision Pro R1 Smart Rangefinder? Just my opinion Bushnell has like a hybrid model one with gps screen on it but I think they are more targeted at the simplicity and accuracy of the point and shoot and being one of the best at it which I can appreciate. From other reviews I read before I got my Pro XE was that a lot of the smart rangefinders like the Garmin Z82, VoiceCaddy, etc while packing a ton of useful data/stats they tended to be a bit slow at targeting/flag locking the pin or sometimes not being as accurate yardage wise, along with sometimes slow setup or load time as some of them need to be paired with their app on your phone even. I think Bushnell is also concerned with pace of play in this regard. But yeah I could see them also possibly venturing out and creating a smart option also to meet the trend, however that hasn't really been their forte. Also not a fan of the charge cable option, I heard some of them barely last 2 rounds if that before they need to be plugged in. I had a cheaper rangefinder before the Bushnell which was also usb-c charge and at first thought it was a better option but over time wasn't a big fan of it and prefer the battery option. One thing that I have seen from everyones reviews however is that Bushnell customer service and warranty could be MUCH better which is a bit surprising since they are often looked at as the leaders in this range finder industry.

For me I have the Garmin s62 Approach GPS watch which I love because I can see the full hole layout with hazards, distances, etc. which comes in handy when playing new courses for the first time and also needing to know how far to clear things as well as front, center, back green, and pin yardages. Personally I just use it for the hole layout, hazards, and club data tracking like how far I drove it or hit an iron. And in combination with the rangefinder which I rely on for just accurate reads on approach shots. I know not everyone will have both or care about using both, this is just my current set up which works best for me. Everyone has different needs or wants. Some are completly ok with just decent general yardages from the gps which can sometimes be off by 3-5 yards but appreciate the other perks they get from it where others want just straight accuracy and simplicity point and shoot from a rangefinder.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Pre-ordered and finally got the Precision Pro R1 a few months ago - can confirm it dies after at BEST 2 rounds, but I often had it die DURING THE ROUND I HAD JUST CHARGED IT. While the "Smart" features were cool in theory, their true application was not thoroughly baked and therefore not trustworthy so I always ended up just taking the raw yardages and calculating myself. Needless to say, I returned it and am also eagerly hoping Bushnell puts out a hybrid or next-gen Pro XE this coming Jan.

• Like 1

Pro XE will disappear early spring. Replacement is the Pro X3 with all the bells and whistles of the Pro XE but from what I was told will now factor in wind in the elements and slope setting. Pretty neat!

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

31 minutes ago, Xavier_11 said:

Pro XE will disappear early spring. Replacement is the Pro X3 with all the bells and whistles of the Pro XE but from what I was told will now factor in wind in the elements and slope setting. Pretty neat!

So perhaps launch in late spring if the xe is discontinued in the spring? (Hopefully its previewed at the pga show)

I assume the wind data and its compensation number may be funneled from a bushnell app that needs to be running? I know the pro xe has internal sensors to do temp/pressure/element data but short of having a wind meter on the device or it’s own cellular connection (to pull in local wind station data) my guess is that it’s piped from a cell phone.

Edited by Imslimjim