GF vs Golf

Proam1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, Proam1 said:

She’s drawn a line in the sand, made me pull out all of the stops.

buddies got the best of me the other day, but I convinced them to play another 9. I really shouldn’t have, considering that I knew it would make me late for a  date-but I couldn’t help myself.

We devised a ridiculous plan to pretend I had a flat tire, so I had to walk home(bc my phone was dead obv 😉)

My buddy followed me home, while I left my car abandoned on the side of the road 

What kind of insane ways have you dealt with the age old,  gf vs golf issue?

I think we see the earmarks of a future politician here.............:pimp:

On 1/21/2021 at 5:24 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

Gotta be truthful but tactful, my man...

"You know that I think you're beautiful, and that you look amazing in basically anything. That outfit doesn't really show off your best features, though, so I don't think it's right."

Never tell her it makes her look plump... Or any other word like that. Tell her it doesn't accentuate her properly. 

Or you could be 100% honest and say “No, the dress doesn’t make you look fat, your butt makes you look fat” and then standby for the reaction.

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

If you are devising a way to keep your girl friend from getting mad at you, then you are pretty screwed with that relationship.  Eventually she’ll realize you screwed her up on blowing off the date, plus you lied to her.   Hopefully for your sake she’s smart enough to know what a jackWord not allowed you are and dumps you.  If not she’s not worth keeping around. 
Find a girl who likes golf. 

• Like 3

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

There is a definite balance in a healthy relationship.  If having a girlfriend means more than golf then pursue the relationship and don't look back.  If golf is very important to you going in a relationship then the girlfriend should accept that, as you should accept what is truly important to her.  A healthy relationship is based on understanding and respecting what is truly important for the other person without jealousy or the need to reshape the other person into what they want.  There must be a balance and every couple has to answer that for themselves.  If the girlfriend wants you to quit playing or significantly reduce the amount you play golf because she needs you to be with her then figure out why.  Insecurity?  Simply needy?  Selfishness?  Again, a healthy relationship knows no jealousy, insecurity, selfishness.  It is best to set the boundaries and foundation for both partners in a relationship from day 1 and do not budge from that.  Be honest of what is truly important to you (as she does to you) in a relationship.  Where you see a partnership leading and ultimately going.  Honesty is definitely the best way to lay a foundation for a healthy relationship.  Don't be Don Quixote looking at those red flags waving in the wind thinking all is well.  Red flags at the outset of a relationship will never be a good thing down the line.

As for me, I was married once to a person who really hated me playing golf but that was only revealed after we had kids.  It was a slow removal of golf in my life and I hated that but I was "stuck" because I had kids and I loved them more than anything.  There were so many other issues that eventually the marriage ended but I never ended being a father.  Once the marriage was over I went back to playing often and found the happiness golf gives me.  I remarried and my wife knows that golf is an essential part of my life.  She doesn't play, may start to because she wants to.  She has no problem when I play and often encourages me to go out and practice or play.  There is no jealousy or animosity when I do play because she knows that golf is essential to my mental and competitive well being.  She has things she wants to do as well (fishing and camping) so I "suffer" doing those things as well ( 😉 ).  Again, there is a balance.  Do I play as much as I would like, no.  Do I play more than I have in many years, yes.  Balance is something I cannot stress in a relationship.  Without it the relationship will fail.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I couldn’t live like that.

We don’t have kids so I got free time out the a**.  I guess that might change things but as long as I pay my end of the bills my money so far has been my money to do what I want with.

Maybe I should count my blessings?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

4 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

I couldn’t live like that.

We don’t have kids so I got free time out the a**.  I guess that might change things but as long as I pay my end of the bills my money so far has been my money to do what I want with.

Maybe I should count my blessings?

What you describe is having a roommate, not a wife.

• Like 1

The starter wife and I met while we were in college.  I played college golf, she knew I played golf and that I was good, but she also knew (as did I, if I am honest) that I was not going on the PGA tour and going to be a superstar.  We never had the, we have real jobs now and I am gonna play roughly this much a month or this much a week convo.  She always despised that I played golf and it got worse when we lived in a resort type golf vacation area where the rounds obviously take longer.  It wasn't the money because I played for free, it wasn't the time away from her, or maybe she thought she deserved time away and I didn't.

When my first daughter was born I think I played 7 or 8 rounds that year, my day job kept me working a bunch so I didn't play, and then the second daughter was born 23 months later, so literally for four years I played maybe a total of 25 rounds.  This was not because she guilted me into, it was because I wanted to spend time with my daughters.  Then as they were old enough I took them to the course with me and often invited her to come with us and she didn't want to and was always pissy when I got home.  In the end we divorced.

Post divorce when I started dating any time it got eve a little serious I explained that "I play 18 holes, 2-3 times a week and maybe walk 9 once or twice on top of that".  If you have a problem with that you can hit the door, because I am not going to have a situation like I had last time.   I had one girl say my parents divorced because my dad played 36 every weekend, and that I needed to choose golf or her.  Not he, can you do 18 1-2 times a week and maybe walk 9 once, but golf or her.  I My current wife has always liked golf, but never played, she always watched the majors all weekend long and the masters most of the week as well.  However she never played.  We have been together 5 years now, and as long as I do anything I promise I will within the time I promised it and the outside yard work is taken care of in a timely fashion and any agreed upon honey-do list items are done she is fine with me playing golf.  In fact she has started taking lessons and my step-son walks 9 occasionally with me as well during daylight savings time.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I don't believe this happened but if you are willing to lie to this extent to her then she should run as fast as she can.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

My previous wife had no issue with my golfing when we met or while I was playing professional on the mini tours, but as soon as I lost my card she wanted me at home and away from the course. This caused many issue for several years especially as he stance had changed 180 since we started dating. 

My current wife did not golf when we met but knew from day one my level of commitment and love for the game and the amount of time I devoted to it. Her solution was to give golf a go also. 5 years later, we both play, she's down to single figures and we travel all over the country entering open tournaments as a cheaper and more enjoyable way of playing great courses. 

• Like 3

On 1/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, Proam1 said:

buddies got the best of me the other day, but I convinced them to play another 9. I really shouldn’t have, considering that I knew it would make me late for a  date-but I couldn’t help myself.

We devised a ridiculous plan to pretend I had a flat tire, so I had to walk home(bc my phone was dead obv 😉)

My buddy followed me home, while I left my car abandoned on the side of the road 

What kind of insane ways have you dealt with the age old,  gf vs golf issue?

This is a BS post.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2021 at 8:03 PM, GolfTurkey said:

Yes, I know better now. Young, naive and not best pleased about spending my Saturday clothes shopping led to a simple "yes".

So what's the male equivalent of this question? Does this shirt make my biceps look small? Do these boxers fail to do justice to my glorious manhood?

What's the male equivalent?????  It's probably her telling you that her old boyfriend's d**k is way bigger than yours.  That would suck.

• Haha 1

I don't believe this actually happened but if it did, then reevaluate your choices haha.

I only start playing in September and I've played a grand total of ONE round at the weekend, all others are Fridays. It was a friend I hadn't seen for a while due to Covid etc and I made sure the wife didn't have plans for us or anything that the round would screw up. Plus my buddy could only play at a certain time during the day. We ended up compromising, played 13 holes(finished up early), got home, and went out for dinner and drinks after. Everybody wins.

Normally I play Fridays with the guys from work and I hit the range twice during the week if I can. Our work schedules clash a fair bit so if I started making excuses to play some golf then it's not going to end well. But if my Fridays look like 1) walk the dog, 2) 18 holes of golf with the boys and a couple of beers, then 3) out with my good lady at night then I've already won and it doesn't matter what my score was....

Edited by CoachCraigie
typo

Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Cobra F9 5W 18.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Mizuno JPX921 Fli-Hi 4H 20* Recoil ESX 460

Takomo 101 4-PW KBS Max

Cleveland CBX2 Black Satin 50/54/58

Taylormade TP Collection Patina Soto

My Golf Map

• 1 month later...

Girlfriend of 2+ Years played collegiately and professionally which made her the perfect girl for me. She does get pissed about me complaining about my game, hovering around +2 to +4, despite playing significantly less than her. While it’s not been perfect we love caddying for each other and spending time on the course together. The only issue is she knows how much all my s*** costs ... especially my Circle T and Hive Putters but hey a man needs a hobby 😅 can’t wait for my Callaway X Forged CB set to come in ...

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* GD AD-DI 8X

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Ping Blueprint S 4-5 KBS Tour V 120X

Ping Blueprint T 6-PW KBS Tour V 120X

Titleist SM10 52F/56F/60T KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face

Sometimes the single life beckons me back....and I mean a completely abstinent one, where freewill is limitless. Sure, there'd be bits of lonely longing for something more, but the freedom, man, the sheer freedom, it boggles the mind how free and clear you'd be. The more I type this thought, the more I want it!!!!

Godspeed, OP, godspeed....

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

This winter I went from 2 sets of golf

clubs that were always in the garage to 15 vintage sets.  I didn’t want to leave the leather grips on the garage so put them in 2 bags in our very small utility room in our basement.  

They bother me as to it looks like clutter and they block the back door which isn’t safe.

I spent Saturday moving sets around and getting things into the garage now that it’s warmer.   I proudly told her what I had done.  She informed me it did bother her them being in the house and if we needed to get out the basement door couldn’t we have just moved them?

Im thinking about buying another vintage tour bag and filling it up!

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I always tell my younger friends a simple bit of advice: When your wife or girlfrend asks you when you will be home, be it a golf day, fishing, hunting, surfing, or watching the game. Never say a "by this time" always say "Not before this time". It worked for about 6 months with my wife before she caught on, but I had a friend who made it through his entire 3rd marriage using that technique!

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 9:52 PM, Baitkiller said:

We are gonna need pics of GF to call this one.

This made me laugh out loud...

you make an excellent point however. Pics are a must.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 1/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, Proam1 said:

You need to resolve this before moving GF --> MRS...

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My girl knows I’m awesome at golf so she won’t dare trying to stop me from playing. Yeah, that’s not true at all. She doesn’t really care and I’d do whatever I want as usual anyway. 

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

On 1/19/2021 at 1:23 PM, bbthorn said:

As someone who is on the wrong side of 75, let recommend to you find a new gal pal. It will save a ton of lawyer fees down the road. I wished someone would have convinced me decades ago I could afford more golf and nicer clubs.

what he said.. 🙂

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

On 1/31/2021 at 11:24 AM, Sean2 said:

There are a lot worse things you could be doing, not to mention playing golf you are outside getting fresh air, sunshine, doing some socializing, along with the exercise. She should encourage you. 🙂

Golf, the great escape in life.  😉

• Like 2

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser