2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Arccos Smart Grip vs Screw in Sensors

Hi folks. I just placed a custom order with Ping, not the 425 line, rather a set of I210s. I didn’t realize it at the time, but Ping now offers Arccos Smart grips for a small fee. 

How do folks like the grip? Do you prefer the screw-in sensors? What are the Pros and cons of either. Please let me know about your experience, which configuration you chose. Thanks

I do not have them, but from waht I understand they are only good for the single time that you have them, if you need to replace them you have to buy a whole new set, you cant just transfer the sensors. So I would go with the screw ins. 

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

@jmorrow020brings up a really good point with replacing grips, also I've heard the grips are slightly thicker so if that's an issue be aware of that.

I have the screw in sensors and they do lengthen the club ever so slightly but I'm still gripping the club in the same position as before. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

58 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

I do not have them, but from waht I understand they are only good for the single time that you have them, if you need to replace them you have to buy a whole new set, you cant just transfer the sensors. So I would go with the screw ins. 

I’ve read that the sensors are interchangeable. You simply pop them out, regrip, and pop them back in. 

4 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I’ve read that the sensors are interchangeable. You simply pop them out, regrip, and pop them back in. 

That might be PHYSICALLY possible... but I cant find anywhere that you can buy the smart grips without sensors already installed is what I am saying. 

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

6 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

That might be PHYSICALLY possible... but I cant find anywhere that you can buy the smart grips without sensors already installed is what I am saying. 

Ahhh...you are correct. One cannot buy the grips without the sensor, which makes re-gripping an expensive proposition.

I suppose too, if you’re swapping a few clubs in and out of the bag semi often the screw in version would be the way to go.  

3 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Ahhh...you are correct. One cannot buy the grips without the sensor, which makes re-gripping an expensive proposition.

I suppose too, if you’re swapping a few clubs in and out of the bag semi often the screw in version would be the way to go.  

The smart grips also have grip material all the way up the sensor...so you technically have to "choke up" even though you arent really choking up, and to me that would just feel really weird. With the screw-ins.. nothing would change in my grip at all. That the route I am going to go this summer.

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

39 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

The smart grips also have grip material all the way up the sensor...so you technically have to "choke up" even though you arent really choking up, and to me that would just feel really weird. With the screw-ins.. nothing would change in my grip at all. That the route I am going to go this summer.

You've convinced me. 

For Arccos and manufacturers the grips make sense as it's a cool value add while locking the buyer into the ecosystem. However, while not as cool looking, the screw-ins offer identical functionality with increased flexibility...pick your own grip, swap clubs in/out of the bag, remove them if you don't like them etc. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

You've convinced me. 

For Arccos and manufacturers the grips make sense as it's a cool value add while locking the buyer into the ecosystem. However, while not as cool looking, the screw-ins offer identical functionality with increased flexibility...pick your own grip, swap clubs in/out of the bag, remove them if you don't like them etc. 

Yeah exactly. 

I think the smart grips are really designed for people who maybe play 10 rounds a year and dont have to change their grips that often. I however, change my grips every couple of months haha, so that would be a nightmare for me. If they offered the blank grips without the sensors in them so you could transfer them then I think that would make it better.. but its still weird to have to choke down without actually choking down... lol

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Took me a bit to remember but Cobra sells Arccos grips with out sensors.  https://www.cobragolf.com/cobra-connect-grips

I don't see them on Pings site (although they sell replacement grips) but maybe they'll add Arccos Grips without sensors at some point.

Edited by dbdors
  • Like 1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

9 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

You've convinced me. 

Black sharpie on the green rims of the Arccos sensors changes the look quite a bit 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, taskerc said:

Seem to be regularly available as sensors only on eBay when I last looked 

Yeah thats the exact opposite of what I said lol

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

17 hours ago, dbdors said:

Took me a bit to remember but Cobra sells Arccos grips with out sensors.  https://www.cobragolf.com/cobra-connect-grips

I don't see them on Pings site (although they sell replacement grips) but maybe they'll add Arccos Grips without sensors at some point.

This is cool. For $10... actually might be worth getting the set in the first place and just ordering replacements through Cobra

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

13 hours ago, taskerc said:

And related - a nice way to extend grip life is to clean them with whitewall tire cleaner ( with  bleche)- really brings back the rubber to life and gets at least another use cycle for me - or more 

Sheetrock sand block or fine grit sandpaper is the way to go especially if you have cord grips. Far less messy and you can do it in a few minutes throughout the season.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, xetremex said:

Screw in sensors all the way as others have pointed out.  Can also change the batteries on the screw in sensors, so it prolongs the life of them.  I've had my set for between 2-3 seasons now and love them.

Are you referring to first gen only?  Have you done this for the second gen? and can you share some details of how?

Edited by dbdors

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

5 minutes ago, dbdors said:

Are you referring to first gen only?  Have you done this for the second gen? and can you share some details of how?

Sorry no first generation is what I was referring to changing batteries.  Little larger and I still have them, though I have a couple sets of gen 2 sensors now as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Arccos would do one of these and I would come back....

01) lighten the weight of the screw in sensors from 7g to something like 2g or 4g

02) grip manufacturers would put the sensors in a softer grip like a CP2 Pro

I do miss the data Arccos provided (very well done), but I have moved onto ShotScope for the time being due to the weight of the sensors (going from D2 to D4 swingweight in my irons ultimately just didn't work for me with the Arccos screw in sensors). 

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

2 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

01) lighten the weight of the screw in sensors from 7g to something like 2g or 4g

I do miss the data Arccos provided (very well done), but I have moved onto ShotScope for the time being due to the weight of the sensors (going from D2 to D4 swingweight in my irons ultimately just didn't work for me with the Arccos screw in sensors). 

Point “01” is not humanly possible. The battery along is 3.2g. You’ll need some Area 51 technology for that.

4 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Point “01” is not humanly possible. The battery along is 3.2g. You’ll need some Area 51 technology for that.

HaHa.... I will take a redesign or some Area 51 tech if they can make them with less weight!  🙂.   I am wondering why they went with a battery in the first place instead of how ShotScope or SkyGolf's GameTracker.

• Like 1

PXG 0317 X

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, Cactus Jack said:

You can order just the sensors to go into the grips through their website as well.  I believe the sensors are 5 bucks a piece.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 8:58 AM, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Cobra sells the lamkin sonar with arccos, they're basically lamkin's cp2.

@bleda2002- Cool, I like the Lamkin Sonar grip, however, I am not seeing it as an option on their site.

619165812_ScreenShot2021-03-17at8_05_38PM.png.4ed435c143051017b6d8e69362475ff4.png

PXG 0317 X

1 hour ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

@bleda2002- Cool, I like the Lamkin Sonar grip, however, I am not seeing it as an option on their site.

619165812_ScreenShot2021-03-17at8_05_38PM.png.4ed435c143051017b6d8e69362475ff4.png

Hmm, you may need to contact them then, I got it as an option on irons from them. It may be like their sinkfit putter grip that I has to order via customer service.

I started out with the inline grips, where the sensor is built into the top of the grip. I didn't like the Lamkin Crossline, it's too rough on the hands and feels like a brick. I do like the branding of the clubs in the app when you pair them though.

I switched out, with a free promo trial set, of screw tips onto some softer mid-size golf price MMC griips, which i much preferred.

I'm now back in a new set of clubs with built in grips, however, this time i enjoy the align rib on the back of the grips. I think they opened up more options.

The main adantage i find is the ability to switch out the sensors when you've got multiple clubs or sets. I have too many wedges and a few extra clubs i will swap in and out, so it's nice to be able to unpair a sensor , stick it in another club and pair that one. 5 minute process.

I also took out one of the sensors of the cobra conenct grips, as i thought it was broken and wanted to change the battery, it was a complete pain in the a$s.

Arccos are also pretty good with their customer service that if your sensors break and you inquire how to get single replacements, they'll usually ship one to you free of charge. I don't think it's so easy to do that for grips.

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

@bleda2002 - Thanks. Yeppers, that was my thought as well.  

@Andygolderson - I thought the sensors can be popped out of the grips and replaced? 

PXG 0317 X

29 minutes ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

....I thought the sensors can be popped out of the grips and replaced? 

You can, but its more for replacement of either the sensor or the grip more so than just swapping between a few different clubs you play. I have about a 90% success rate at prying out a sensor with out destroying it in the process and shoving in a new sensor in the grip is also a pita that I wouldnt want to do regularly.

If you want to play with multiple sets or swap clubs i'd just by extra grips and sensors or get the screw ons.